• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you ever buy a VR device?

Deft Beck

I've had exposure to the PSVR and a brief encounter with the Oculus Rift. While I recognize that there's a lot of potential for immersive experiences, I don't really see the immediate need to buy any of the current systems at their current asking prices. There's just not enough that I would want to play. But, we keep seeing more and more VR investment by the major publishers and OEMs.

I figure that for some, they won't ever really be in a position to own their own VR device in the immediate future. Not everyone has enough room for even a non-head-tracking device. And even if you come into possession of a VR device, even more affordable devices such as Google Daydream require an expensive cutting-edge cell phone, or other peripherals to complete the experience.

Though, I wonder if the current barriers are much like what prevented the growth of the PC market in the beginning of the 2000s. It took until online infrastructure improved and costs to fall for PC gaming to become a viable option for many people.

This is certainly a lot to chew on.

awcarew

Already done. The HTC Vive is the best purchase I've ever made. It's the biggest jump in gaming since 3dfx. The Half-Life 2 VR mod looks to be nearly complete and is a killer app for me.

CJY

Banned
Already got mine too, and will get a gen. 2 Vive. (hopefully with Foveated rendering)

VR is amazing.

SigSig

Yeah, like next week. I want to play around in Unreal Engine and of course see all the cool VR content.
I tried a friends Rift and the longer I did, the more I thought "this is it!".

edit: also played around a lot with Cardboard. VR is fun!

Mihos

Gold Member
Have and will again.

Will probably wait to upgrade until the wireless ones are out and tested.

Peltz

Already have a PSVR, but it will be a long time before I get another one.

I will wait until they are wireless and smaller.

Skeff

Well I already own a PSVR and I'm very happy with it, I don't have much time to play games and having the VR is another option to remote play for playing away from the TV so I get a lot of use out of that. I think it all depends on everyones individual assessment of the value proposition but they're great pieces of tech and I don't think they will be a fad I just think the adoption will be slow.

I think adoption would probably explode once there are more social experiences to be honest.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yea.

I look at some of the many mobile phone ones and almost buy one. I wanna get PSVR one day.

Have to get a Pro or PS5 first tho. At this rate I will probably wait til the PS5 comes out.

I bought a virtual boy back in the 90's so I already did. As for modern VR devices, yeah I'll consider getting one as the software continues to improve.

TheRed

Have a Vive and it was completely worth it. I don't even have a big space for room scale but still love it. Seated stuff like PC racing sims have completely risen to my favorite game experiences ever by getting VR and a wheel. So good, and yes I expect I'll eventually get a new headset when big improvements come too.

KodaRuss

I am kinda waiting for PSVR to get a little cheaper I guess. I think I will enjoy it fine but I just havent jumped in yet. There are some hurdles for me

1. Price
2. Time to play (currently my life prevents me from really being completely out of visual and audio cues having a 2 year old son that I watch alone all the time).
3. No game has really made me say I have to have this now
4. I dont really have any place to put everything. My entertainment center is already stuffed as it is. What do others do with all this crap?

I like gimmicky motion control stuff so probably. I feel like the tech will advance while getting cheaper throughout the years so not right now. I'm not dumb enough to drop $400-600 to play mostly bad and/or over priced games.

I do have the mobile VR stuff which works surprisingly well even if the one I got is rather cheap. I think that might be the future since you can make one for like $10 and you use your phone. But there are no good mobile VR games that I found.

So, eventually I'll probably invest more in it when it's worth buying

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yes I'd like to own one to fuck around with, but I'm not drawn to the point of I have to have one for the current asking price.

I'd also much rather have a wireless headset. So I'm willing to wait a while.

If it takes 10 years to get where I'd like it fine by me, but I got no ill will to early adopters.

Platy

Nope.

My focus on gaming is couch coop.
Can't do couch coop if you can't look at the person in real life

Jeremy

Still not sold on VR yet but I haven't had the money or opportunity to afford any solution other than Samsung's Gear VR which felt like a joke.

When Nintendo does it. Figure they'll make it affordable and put some kind of Nintendo spin on it. Won't be the premium VR experience but I won't mind.

NoKisum

If they can actually fit over my head, and offer actual games that intrigue me and not "experiences", maybe.

NJShadow

Went with PSVR. I can see the hesitation, since there is the fair share of shovelware, but when VR is done rights, it's pretty awesome. Even when the additional of VR expands on a game's potential, like in 'BOUND,' it's a thing of beauty. Must-have? Hm, maybe not. But a really engaging experience when the game is solid? Definitely.

Some quick notes:
-Resident Evil 7 is perhaps the scariest experience of my life, and it only happened in VR.
-BOUND was one of the most beautiful gaming experiences I've ever witnessed, greatly enhanced by VR.
-Thumper is actually a better game in VR (depending on your take..)
-When done correctly, VR really shows that this is a new medium, the only thing is, as with most things, great games aren't as common as the mediocre ones, and that gives the platform a bad name.

MaDKaT

I was all in when Vive launched and will certainly be all in for the next round. Next purchase will probably be the new controllers and wireless link.

SomTervo

HTC Vive is one of the most incredible things I've ever experienced. I've had it for exactly 12 months and it still blows me away and provides some of my best moments in gaming.

And no, Oculus and PSVR don't compare.

Until you've tried full, walkable, 360 roomscale in a large space (which Oculus with 3-4 sensors can provide) then you haven't really tried VR, IMO.

One of my personal favourite experiences is Pavlov VR - it's basically Counter Strike: VR. An important aspect of hand-tracked VR that people forget is that simple, mundane gameplay activities like reloading become satisfying and full-fledged game mechanics. It's honestly astounding how much the little things become compelling and fun. See: reloading in Pavlov.

5C72B16E7EAD66D09EC8604C453D9AA3B2973F7D

49A19A5B2345AD487F8258D46DC6F02D7A2124A0

58bcd487ba52c.gif

pavlov-vr-gif-01.gif

58bcd487bb429.gif

Have a Vive and it was completely worth it. I don't even have a big space for room scale but still love it. Seated stuff like PC racing sims have completely risen to my favorite game experiences ever by getting VR and a wheel. So good, and yes I expect I'll eventually get a new headset when big improvements come too.
I havent got a wheel yet, but I do have project cars. What else is great to play in VR racing?

Caayn

I already bought one and sold one. The current tech left too much to be desired for me to justify the cost for it.

sol740

I am anxiously awaiting newer tech, must be wireless, hopefully a bit smaller, and a couple of power-gloves would come in handy for any video game tournaments me and my buds need to road-trip, maybe to bond, or otherwise develop.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I had a week to evaluate the Vive, played Elite Dangerous among other things, and have to say I don't think it's quite worth the money. The low res and "scuba mask" view kind of killed it for me - those are the main things they need to work on I think.

It's amazing, especially if you get up and start interacting with space, but I think I'll wait for the next generation of headsets. I hope there is a next generation.

Raysoul

Maybe? If they can reduce the price and the size of the helmet thing. Also, they need to convince me with a library of games that are not shovelware.

I've been considering a Vive, but it's a struggle convincing myself that I will actually use it enough to justify the cost.

Raide

Once we see lightweight and wireless units, I may jump in. It's still such a solitary thing to do, so unless I have multiple headsets, using VR will still exclude most of the friends I play games with.

Top Bottom