• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you ever buy a VR device?

Sokka

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F494108%2Fcd5fccce-e2cd-4b9b-9393-1023761d9163.gif

Nope.

My one experience made me feel sick for a whole afternoon.

What device did you use, if I might enquire?

SomTervo

Nope.

My one experience made me feel sick for a whole afternoon.

Almost definitely either:

A) the game's fault (moving your vision too much, 90% of VR games now have many options to combat this)

B) the system's fault (not high enough frame rate (90+FPS required to really trick the brain)

Alucardx23

Already did. It's something you need to try yourself to understand. VR is not going anywhere, this is the future of entertainment.

Absolutely yes, I know it's going to be a vital part of gaming's future. I'm just a holdout for certain features I think need to be there.

Foveated rendering or sufficient performance to push 4k at least. But eye tracking regardless is a useful and desired feature for me if not for UI manipulation and movement etc.

That's my biggest holdout but I really want to see more improvements for controllers, the knuckle controllers are a nice step forward but I want to see the haptic feedback glove controllers.

Locomotion. The single greatest issue for VR.

But again, hell yes I will. I just imagine not for another 4 or 5 years.

Bookoo

I bought HTC Vive and Oculus. There isn't an immediate need, I think they need to be smaller, wireless, and higher res for wider adoption. (Also Standalone will be more suitable for mainstream)

I just played Echo Arena this weekend though and it is probably the best game I have played in VR. It is probably my longest played game in a single session and one that I see myself returning too on a regular basis. It being free and insanely fun to play gives me hope that it will.

Currently can only see myself getting one where I'm 'forced' to because a franchise or particular game I really want to play is exclusively in VR and the cost of a headset is below that of a current gen console.

I think VR is really exciting and I'm keen to see what happens in the future with the tech but it's certainly a method of playing games that I don't feel particularly comfortable with (compared to couch/TV) and I've yet to see anything that makes me deviate from that. I've had plenty of "oh, that's cool/interesting" moments but nothing that makes me feel like I want to actually buy a headset.

Likely no. The hardware is too primitive and the types of games coming out don't interest me at all.

I think AR will ultimately be more widely adopted than VR in the end.

*Splinter

Have already. Twice in fact. Gear VR came free with my phone, and PSVR I preordered on day one.

Would I get another? Depends on the state of VR if/when I get around to building a gaming PC, Vive definitely appeals to me. PSVR2? Depends on how much of an upgrade it is.

Nah, it's the kind of tech that will be completely outdated and obsolete sooner than later. We'll have immersive video games sure, but it won't be with a big clunky visor strapped to your face.

Trokil

Banned
I did about 20 years ago and bought the Virtual IO Eye glasses and the worked pretty well. Flight simulators were already pretty cool. But I was also in research during that time and used it a lot for that.

Now I own the Rift. It was a sale and I got it for about 399 Dollars and it was totally worth it.

phanphare

Banned
probably not

I honestly just don't want to play games with something on my face. it's really as simple as that.

maybe when the head sets become more like glasses and mix in AR stuff as well but I feel like we're years away from that

Pjsprojects

Putchased PSVR a while back and it collects dust.
Will see if anything interesting gets released this year and if not it goes on Ebay for Christmas.

the TMO

Already done. Best year of my life with Vive and Oculus.
Can't wait to see where this will going, we are still in a finally funcional prototype form.

Marcel

With the current software and at the current price? God no.

Not to mention they'll likely never fix the part where you look like a dork with the bulky VR headset strapped to your head.

Menitta

I tried my sister's fiance's HTC Vive and I'm much more open to getting one of them. It was very cool. Though now I really want a Vive because it seems like the best one but I don't have a good PC so it'll be a while.

It was funny. Everyone they showed VR to, it took them a while to get used to moving around and the general controls. They were amazed at how quickly I understood it. I kicked the shit out of that archery game.

SomTervo

probably not

I honestly just don't want to play games with something on my face. it's really as simple as that.

maybe when the head sets become more like glasses and mix in AR stuff as well but I feel like we're years away from that

It's very understandable, but for at least a portion of time you completely forget there's anything on your face at all.

Honestly, the complete brain-trick of completely feeling like you're in a different place is unutterably powerful. The fictional worlds you know and love in videogames become real, physical spaces. It's insane.

Ensoul

Nope. When I tried it the VR was uncomfortable, I was getting hot and I was getting dizzy. Not a fan of the technology at all.

phanphare

Banned
It's very understandable, but for at least a portion of time you completely forget there's anything on your face at all.

Honestly, the complete brain-trick of completely feeling like you're in a different place is unutterably powerful. The fictional worlds you know and love in videogames become real, physical spaces. It's insane.

I don't even like 3D movies because of the glasses so yeah the headsets as they currently exist is a nonstarter for me

When (or if) it is cheap, lightweight, hassle-free and software has evolved well-beyond the current "tech demo" stage.

Otherwise, it's an idea that sounds great but is just too much hassle to bother with regularly.

I fear that 'physics' might mean that it is impossible due to the latency and precision requirements, but I'm hopeful those problems can be resolved.

C.Mongler

At some point, probably. My main problem right now is cost to entry. I've got a VR-capable PC, but the minimum $600 entry fee is quite high, and honestly I'd rather have the pricier Vive if I was going the PC route. Then I would also need to pick up some VR games, as right now I don't have too many that are actually VR compatible. So at the end of the day I'm looking at almost $1k worth of stuff I've gotta buy, and then I still don't really have the physical space to get the most enjoyment out of VR.

I also have a PS4, and was close to biting on that $300 headset deal a few days back, but then you also have to buy the camera and move controllers (for the "best", most-complete experience anyway), and then there's also the software cost since I have a whopping zero PSVR titles in my library. The games I want that work with PSVR are still damn near $60 dollars, and a lot of other stuff is just expensive tech demos. At the end of the day, I'm probably going to be out $600+ dollars getting into PSVR, so at that point, why not keep going for the fuller PC experience?

So I'm stuck. I want to give it a go, but it's very expensive and I'm afraid I'll get bored of setting it up once the novelty wears off and I'll just have a $800 helmet sitting around. If someone puts out a $400 complete PC VR experience, I'll probably finally bite the bullet, but until then I guess it's the demo kiosk at the Microsoft store in the mall for me.

NoKisum

Have you tried PSVR? Myself, as well as others with large noggins have tried it, and it's quite comfortable.

Haven't had the chance to. But they seem to fit on people's heads like large baseball hats. And I can barely hats considering my hair.

For reference, think dreads like Wooly from Super Best Friends, but thicker and poofier.

inner-G

Banned
Probably not.

I'm usually on the couch with my wife when gaming, and VR just seems too isolating. I feel like it would alienate her if I played VR a lot

Plus I've tried some of the 'good' PSVR stuff and it didn't really wow me once the initial novelty wore off

probably not

This. Already having to wear glasses for daily life makes it so I don't want to add to that.

I'll wait and see how the tech develops and what kind of games come out but thus far I'm fine with playing in a more conventional manner.

SomTervo

I don't even like 3D movies because of the glasses so yeah the headsets as they currently exist is a nonstarter for me

Wow, fair enough. It is completely different - 3D movies are shit and barely effective whereas VR is a complete fooling of your brain into thinking it's a different place.

But yeah, some HMDs are still uncomfortable this gen, so it's understandable.

This. Already having to wear glasses for daily life makes it so I don't want to add to that.

All my friends who wear glasses have loved the HTC Vive. This gen's headset is big enough that you don't need to remove your glasses to put it on (they're always like "wow" when I tell them that) and then they completely forget about the glasses/HMD once inside because the head and hand tracking is so immersive.

mclem

I have a PSVR for now. Would like to also purchase a PC option but at the moment I'd need to look into upgrading the PC in conjunction with that - which in turn suggests that I'm probably best off waiting for at least the next generation of headsets first.

Really ought to look into where the PSVR-on-PC research has got to of late, actually.

phanphare

Banned
Wow, fair enough. It is completely different - 3D movies are shit and barely effective whereas VR is a complete fooling of your brain into thinking it's a different place.

But yeah, some HMDs are still uncomfortable this gen, so it's understandable.

I'm not talking about the experiences, I realize those are different, I'm talking about the thing that I need to wear on my head. the comparison to 3D movies was to say that I already don't want to wear those glasses on my head and those are just normal glasses essentially. factor in what a VR headset is and like I said it's a nonstarter.

the experiences being different is why I'm actually open to VR/AR when the headsets get significantly less bulky and don't require wires or anything

Fox318

Maybe in 10 years.

Right now the experiences don't seem worth the investment in time and resources.

I've yet to see a VR game that is so dynamic that only in VR can it be played to experience it.

laxu

I want at least 1 gen of improvements. It is already great fun but something that I can only handle in maybe 20-30 minute sessions.

SomTervo

I'm not talking about the experiences, I realize those are different, I'm talking about the thing that I need to wear on my head. the comparison to 3D movies was to say that I already don't want to wear those glasses on my head and those are just normal glasses essentially. factor in what a VR headset is and like I said it's a nonstarter.

the experiences being different is why I'm actually open to VR/AR when the headsets get significantly less bulky and don't require wires or anything

Yep, it's fair enough even though I can't empathise, and the bolded will definitely happen. We're already seeing big headway on that within one year of gen 1 launching.

Top Bottom