• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Some things are still so stupidly touch-focused. Like the clock app. I like having one built in, mainly to use for timers, but WHY can't I input things with my keyboard? Like, I want to set a timer for 03:25 or whatever. Can I just click somewhere and type in those four digits? Noooo, I have to sloooowly scroll each of the timer picker wheels to the correct position using my mouse. So ludicrously inefficient.

Although, really, even on a touch screen I think inputting time values that way sucks. Google does a similar thing with their alarms app, where you're not allowed to quickly type in the four digits required but instead have to move the little thing around the clock face to set the hour and then the minute. A bit better than the long scrolling crap wheels in the W10 app, but still. Guess they think it's easier for people if they present it in this visual manner or something? Well, it's not, it's just slow and annoying as shit.

Why is the Edge reading list a separate reading list? And doesn't work from any other applications on Windows?
Oh yeah, that too. With the app you could add stuff from any app due the share charm, on edge you have to open the browser first.

Terrible decision all around.

Some things are still so stupidly touch-focused. Like the clock app. I like having one built in, mainly to use for timers, but WHY can't I input things with my keyboard? Like, I want to set a timer for 03:25 or whatever. Can I just click somewhere and type in those four digits? Noooo, I have to sloooowly scroll each of the timer picker wheels to the correct position using my mouse. So ludicrously inefficient.

Although, really, even on a touch screen I think inputting time values that way sucks. Google does a similar thing with their alarms app, where you're not allowed to quickly type in the four digits required but instead have to move the little thing around the clock face to set the hour and then the minute. A bit better than the long scrolling crap wheels in the W10 app, but still. Guess they think it's easier for people if they present it in this visual manner or something? Well, it's not, it's just slow and annoying as shit.

Agreed. And another thing that I don't get is that the alarm is treated just like everything else regarding volume levels, it would be way better to have that as a separate option, specially for those with tablets and hybrids.

I haven't really used Win 8 all that much, but holy shit is Windows 10 worse than Windows 7. Everything is slow, the computer is more unstable and some features are missing (like the built-in VPN client no longer has a place to input shared key that the VPN uses). And Edge is just another Internet Explorer. Stuff that worked with Chrome, Firefox and Safari, but not with IE, still don't work with Edge.

Megasoum

Banned
I really like Windows 10 overall but there's one small thing that bugs me...

On my second screen I always keep a Chrome Window and a Tweetdeck window opened at all time (neither of them are full screen). I position them in a specific way (roughly 3/4 Chrome, 1/4 Tweetdeck). When I boot my PC in the morning both windows will get back to the right position and size except they are always a couple of pixels off. In Win 8.1 I didn't have to move those windows for months even if I rebooted my PC everyday but now I have to adjust them slightly everytime I boot Win10.

Not a big deal obviously but it's annoying. If it's already remembering like 99% of the position of the windows why can't it remember them properly? Ugh.

I think there is a large patch coming in October. Not sure if OneDrive stuff is in there.
At build they did said they would bring the new sync engine in a post release update this year. If there's indeed a big update coming to the os that might be the place to put it.

IIRC though, the new update will only bring the new unified engine, along some features that better integrate OneDrive to the explorer. The new universal app and the smart files replacement are planned for next year.

Edit: If really there's an update coming October / November, then it should be hitting insiders soon, right? I hope so. I can live with the wifi issues and battery life not being as it should but the current state for onedrive is infuriating.

Werd

So there is TileCreator, BetterStartMenu and PinMore. At least.

Has anyone tried all these (or just the free ones) and have a recommendation? I kind of get the feeling everything is flawed and it will take time for a better solution, but I do want to do a couple of my most used programs.

Works fine for me.
It works fine if you have storage to have all your files synced, or only need the files that are synced. But as a solution for devices with limited storage, it's a perhaps deal breaker step back from 8.1.

But since currently MS seems more keen on the desktop, perhaps by the time they start focusing on tablets again they bring the functionality back.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Hey, so I'm one of the people who reverted back to 7 from 10 mainly because my laptop persistently overheated.

I think somebody said a while back that it may have been a possible glitch in terms of CPU usage but just wanted to verify, is glitch actually a thing and is there a possible fix? Or is it really because of my hardware? (Laptop's 4 years old )

U2NUMB

Has there been any info on MS releasing drivers for their own Bluetooth Mice? Worked fine in both Windows 7 and 8 but it is driving me crazy not having a working scroll wheel and it just says "This device has no driver" and I can not find one online.

It is an MS branded mice for craps sake!!

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
The latest updates have seemingly broken the ability for me to type into the search bar to open anything. :|

It works fine if you have storage to have all your files synced, or only need the files that are synced. But as a solution for devices with limited storage, it's a perhaps deal breaker step back from 8.1.

But since currently MS seems more keen on the desktop, perhaps by the time they start focusing on tablets again they bring the functionality back.

I have lot's of stuff on OneDrive - this makes the current state unusable on my SP3. I don't want to be forced to sync all my data to my drive.
Yeah, that sucks.

sangreal

I have lot's of stuff on OneDrive - this makes the current state unusable on my SP3. I don't want to be forced to sync all my data to my drive.

I use dropbox and not onedrive so maybe I am missing something, but can't you just tell it not to sync?

cjSThfo.png

If I understand, the issue is you want it to work like the mobile app where you send stuff and can download it but it doesn't automatically download the entire contents

e: I think I see the issue; if you turn off syncing it doesn't even show you the online contents and let you make them available offline

Today's update fixed it for you?

I haven't been able to use sleep on my SP2.

I don't know if it was today's update, but my PS2 wouldn't sleep all the way until the end of last week. When I tried sleeping a couple of days ago it actually went to sleep. I was thinking maybe they snuck in a fix in one of the updates.

Sleep is still broken on my computer. It goes into sleep but when I try to wake it up, the computer turns on for maybe 2 seconds, then shuts down completely. I then have to push the power button to turn it on. Really annoying as I use sleep a lot.
I think my issue is different. I would press the power button on my Surface and the screen would shut off but the computer would still be on. I'd have to constantly give it some kind of input (mouse clicks/tapping on the screen) to get it to turn on the screen again so I could try to make it sleep again. If I just pushed the button and packed up the Surface without ensuring it actually went to sleep, the device would stay always on, get really hot, and drain the battery completely. It wouldn't even auto-sleep after 5 minutes like I have on my settings.

Now the past several times the Surface actually does sleep the first time I push the sleep button.

Turn off fast boot.

Seems like Windows 10's implementation of it is problematic as it worked fine in 8.

Was there a similar issue in Windows 8? I went from Windows 7 to 10 and was spending the past few days searching for a solution and nothing worked.

But what you said does seem to work so far. Thanks a lot!

Drifters

Yup, OneDrive is unusable in 10, not sure what they thought.
Compared to what? It does exactly the same thing that Drive, Dropbox does. If you're a Windows 8.1 user who is pissed at the selective syncing, you do know that the engineers at Microsoft admitted their implementation of it was wrong and that they are actively re-writing the code to fix "online only" files right?

What is everyone using for an anti-virus? Just Defender? I used Avast and Malwarebytes on Windows 7 but haven't installed anything for 10 yet.

I think my issue is different. I would press the power button on my Surface and the screen would shut off but the computer would still be on. I'd have to constantly give it some kind of input (mouse clicks/tapping on the screen) to get it to turn on the screen again so I could try to make it sleep again. If I just pushed the button and packed up the Surface without ensuring it actually went to sleep, the device would stay always on, get really hot, and drain the battery completely. It wouldn't even auto-sleep after 5 minutes like I have on my settings.

Now the past several times the Surface actually does sleep the first time I push the sleep button.

That's strange. Glad it's working alright for you now. Maybe I'm the only one with this particular sleep issue on PC? T_T

Windows 10 Activation

So, the way I'm reading this I can just use the media tool to do a fresh install via USB and I will retain my copy of Windows? I've been trying and failing to do a reset the last couple of weeks to knock out some nagging bugs upgrading builds.

Windows 10 Activation

So, the way I'm reading this I can just use the media tool to do a fresh install via USB and I will retain my copy of Windows? I've been trying and failing to do a reset the last couple of weeks to knock out some nagging bugs upgrading builds.

It should work, yeah, so long as it's (mostly) identical internal hardware. Just make sure that the final version of Windows 10 is confirmed activated first, or you should start with the older OS first.

It should work, yeah, so long as it's (mostly) identical internal hardware. Just make sure that the final version of Windows 10 is confirmed activated first, or you should start with the older OS first.
It's a SP2, so yeah no hardware has changed.
There seems to be an interesting thing going on with telemetry and Windows 10 right now. http://arstechnica.com/information-...ndows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

Bug or intentional? Who knows, but for the most part it doesn't seem to involve actual identifiable information. Still bad form since it's still doing something, and that's going to make some privacy nuts never shut up.
I'm sure it's intentional. It's 2015, they have the ability and tools to pull together massive amounts of data and utilize that data to gain insights to help develop the OS in the future.

It's a SP2, so yeah no hardware has changed.

I'm sure it's intentional. It's 2015, they have the ability and tools to pull together massive amounts of data and utilize that data to gain insights to help develop the OS in the future.

The thing about it is that it shouldn't be doing anything other than collecting basic hardware information and sending crash reports (everything but feedback off, of which is set to basic instead).

Hope it's just a bug that makes Windows 10 more chatty than usual - it's not like it's uploading documents it shouldn't. Something like an Insider Preview leftover that wasn't excised correctly.

That would be great, thanks.

Just tried sleep mode on my desktop. I was able to go to sleep and wake from it just fine. (Typing from that desktop at the moment just after trying it).

I've got Win 10 installed on an SSD, if that makes any difference. (not sure about your setup)

Vyer

Blah, drag and drop into Onedrive doesn't seem to work in Microsoft's own browser.

Also, trying to figure out how to change the Onedrive account that's logged in on the desktop after the W10 upgrade. Can't seem to find settings for it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Since we're on the subject of OneDrive, is there a way to remove it completely? I am more than a little annoyed that every native MS program attempts to save documents to it by default. No, MS, I never, ever, in my entire life want to save my documents to OneDrive. Not now, not fucking ever. Never. Ever.

Blah, drag and drop into Onedrive doesn't seem to work in Microsoft's own browser.

Also, trying to figure out how to change the Onedrive account that's logged in on the desktop after the W10 upgrade. Can't seem to find settings for it.

I think ANY drag and drop isn't available in Edge for now.

Have you right clicked the thing in your notification area? (Though I do suspect it's tied to your MS account, so you wont be able to.)

M.D

Any idea if it's ok to disable Windows Problem Reporting and how to do it? It sometimes have high CPU usage

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
There seems to be an interesting thing going on with telemetry and Windows 10 right now. http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-to-microsoft/

Bug or intentional? Who knows, but for the most part it doesn't seem to involve actual identifiable information. Still bad form since it's still doing something, and that's going to make some privacy nuts never shut up.
None of that sounds like a bug.

Though it would bug me. ;)

Vyer

I think ANY drag and drop isn't available in Edge for now.

Have you right clicked the thing in your notification area? (Though I do suspect it's tied to your MS account, so you wont be able to.)

hmm. not seeing anything in my notification area.

prior to the upgrade, I was using a local account on Windows 7. I also had Onedrive, with an old MS account. After the upgrade, I'm using a newer (Outlook.com based) MS account and am planning on using the Onedrive with that account. Unfortunately opening onedrive now still seems to be tied to the older MS account. Haven't yet found a way to change it, even though I'm logging into my new MS account on the system itself.

Just tried sleep mode on my desktop. I was able to go to sleep and wake from it just fine. (Typing from that desktop at the moment just after trying it).

I've got Win 10 installed on an SSD, if that makes any difference. (not sure about your setup)

Hmmm...well damn. Thanks for checking though. I'm still on hdd.

Just upgraded.

Any list of things I should do post upgrade (don't care about tracking stuff, I have already given my life to Google)?

Should I switch from Outlook 2013 to use the Mail app?

GavinGT

Banned
hmm. not seeing anything in my notification area.

prior to the upgrade, I was using a local account on Windows 7. I also had Onedrive, with an old MS account. After the upgrade, I'm using a newer (Outlook.com based) MS account and am planning on using the Onedrive with that account. Unfortunately opening onedrive now still seems to be tied to the older MS account. Haven't yet found a way to change it, even though I'm logging into my new MS account on the system itself.

You don't have the cloud icon in your notification area? It sounds like OneDrive isn't activated at all.

Just upgraded.

Any list of things I should do post upgrade (don't care about tracking stuff, I have already given my life to Google)?

Should I switch from Outlook 2013 to use the Mail app?

If you use folders and subfolders to arrange your emails then don't, in my case the mail app just showed me all my folders and subfolders in alphabetical order not respecting my original arrangement making it a pain in the ass to use it.

Vyer

Mmm hmm. After you get it to activate, there should be an option in its settings to unlink and relink.

oh I had it activated, been using onedrive for a while now, and it carried over after the upgrade. just never bother with the notification icon, since it's linked into File Explorer. But I found the unlink option now so I should be able to get it sorted.

Now to research what (if any) transfer options there are....

clav

Noticing that Windows will shutdown my laptop only to boot up again and see the UEFI logo flash and then flash to the shutting down screen.

What a mess.

Definitely fastboot is not working as intended.

If you use folders and subfolders to arrange your emails then don't, in my case the mail app just showed me all my folders and subfolders in alphabetical order not respecting my original arrangement making it a pain in the ass to use it.

WIthout folders/subfolders it would be unmanageable for me. So, no to that.

My windows started acting up from all fronts today XD

- Mail and Calendar apps stopped syncing also, they are crashing... A LOT, and I'm unable to send messages or even open links on received ones.
- Groove music keeps creating a music folder in my OneDrive folder, only so it conflicts with the music folder already in OneDrive that I don't want to add to sync locally because I always stream the music. Oh, and I already removed that folder from the list groove should look for. And it won't recognize songs I definitely have, telling me to purchase them.
- OneDrive is completely bizarre. I renamed a few folders and it took the worst possible way to handle this situation: It created a new folder adding my PC name, the new folder with the correct name, and also leave the old folder, and to make things worse scattered the files all over these 3 copies (And I'm positive there was only one PC logged in at the time, so there's no reason at all for all these conflicts. Then, it started spamming errors saying that files that were already in my OneDrive have too long names (which is weird, because the change I made to the folder was to make the name shorter), and even then the handling is ridiculous: Oh, we can't add this file to your storage, let's reset it so you have to sync everything again.
- And after hours merging my files and fixing their names it's now giving me error to sync office files, But these are files that are not even remotely near the folder I renamed, nor have I used them in months. But I still have to go through a list of hundreds of files opening one by one so they sync correctly.
- And it sadly won't end there: One of those files is giving me a Uploading Pending status error. It says there are other uploads waiting (even though there aren't ) and that will upload afterwards, but it never does, and then the same error pops up, and it's been a cycle for two hours now.
- Edge from overnight became a resource hog. It's using more than 30% CPU with just a few tabs opened, and its hanging a lot, also, it's pretty much useless to type anything on it, because it's hanging and missing keystrokes.
- OneNote stopped syncing. It's forever stuck on syncing and never finishes, even text notes are not roaming anywhere.
- I purchased an app through the store, after the trial ended but the app still thinks I'm on trial and won't let me use it. I tried reinstalling the app about 20 times now.

I've been testing win10 ever since the first preview build and honestly it was never that instable. The worst part is that up until yesterday it was mostly fine... I'll try the obvious clean install but damn, never had any windows install becoming such a mess before

Random17

Got a blue screen with the error message "power driver state failure", or something along those lines. Laptop restarted and everything is back to normal.

Has this happened before? I was restarting my computer when it happened.

Top Bottom