• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Grexeno

Does anyone know if Office 2010 is compatible with Windows 10? I have a disc for 2010, but my new laptop doesn't have a disc drive and I can't seem to install it with the product key I have, so I figured if they are compatible I can save about 100 bucks and buy a USB Disc Drive and install my copy of 2010.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So my Wife's computer has STILL not told her the update is ready. She just has the icon saying "You will be notified when you update is ready"

Should I just force it at this point?

Anyone else use Outlook.com for email? It loads so slowly in Edge for me. Kind of baffling. Wondering if someone else experienced this.

sangreal

I already tried this, but it seems you can't install 2010 with a key and not a disc.

? There is a link specifically for 2010 there

is it just not accepting your key or something?

e: make sure you are clicking "Download or get a backup copy of Office 2010" and not "My copy of Office came with a disk, but I need to download online"

My copy was given out by my university so it isn't eligible for download.

Was it a physical copy? If you downloaded it, see if you can find the original download link that is sent in an email. Typically worse case you can call Microsoft and give them the key and they will send out another download link.

Grexeno

Was it a physical copy? If you downloaded it, see if you can find the original download link that is sent in an email. Typically worse case you can call Microsoft and give them the key and they will send out another download link.
It's a physical copy.

I would call them. I was in a similar situation where my Office key I received from work (HUP program) wasn't eligible for online download. Eventually they sent me another download link. Can't hurt to try.

KingKong

Installed and everything's working fine, but does anyone else find it weird how they handle user pictures and wallpapers? There's no defaults to use for the first and for the second you can't set the defaults to rotate unless you find the folder, and it doesn't even show you which ones were selected

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do cortana reminders get stored online? They are really handy,but it would be better if they could sync with my phone (not Windows phone anymore), or even just insert into my calendar. No point setting a reminder if I might not be at my PC when it triggers.

lenovox1

Do cortana reminders get stored online? They are really handy,but it would be better if they could sync with my phone (not Windows phone anymore), or even just insert into my calendar. No point setting a reminder if I might not be at my PC when it triggers.

Cortana is reportedly releasing in the fall to all mobile devices. Presumably, it will sync with your PC as with all other Microsoft cross platform products.

Cortana is reportedly releasing in the fall to all mobile devices. Presumably, it will sync with your PC as with all other Microsoft cross platform products.

Why on Earth anybody would use Cortana instead of Google Now or Siri on their Android or iOS devices is baffling. Well, MS is welcome to try anyways.

I would consider using Cortana if she actually spoke and had the same voice as the real Cortana in Halo.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why on Earth anybody would use Cortana instead of Google Now or Siri on their Android or iOS devices is baffling. Well, MS is welcome to try anyways.

I would consider using Cortana if she actually spoke and had the same voice as the real Cortana in Halo.

If it syncs well with my PC I'd use it. do Siri or Google now offer a way to sync notifications etc to a PC? (I assume Siri integrates well with Mac)

Edit: nabbed the cortana for android .apk and that seems to sync ok, and pops up notifications set on PC

If it syncs well with my PC I'd use it. do Siri or Google now offer a way to sync notifications etc to a PC? (I assume Siri integrates well with Mac)

Google Now is built into Chrome. If you have Chrome running, you have Google Now on your PC and it works exactly the same as on Android.

Well, I think I done fucked up and installed my desktop copy on my Surface.

Even though my desktop (I just got home from Hawaii) still has an upgrade icon on the tray.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well, I think I done fucked up and installed my desktop copy on my Surface.

Even though my desktop (I just got home from Hawaii) still has an upgrade icon on the tray.

? There is no 'desktop copy' I think - each of your win 7/8 machines can be updated to win 10. If you downloaded that media tool on your surface you can still do it on your desktop too if you want.

Sylver

Banned
I'm confused what this does? I have Pin More which lets me browse my steam library, grabs images automatically and creates tiles for me. Is this launcher needed for other apps? Does it bypass the part where Pin More launches and stays on the screen after launching the target app?

Works similar to TileCreator but runs all sizes, and text colors, just create firefox big tile as example:
jp9Z3ne.png

? There is no 'desktop copy' I think - each of your win 7/8 machines can be updated to win 10. If you downloaded that media tool on your surface you can still do it on your desktop too if you want.

Yeah, my desktop was able to do it today, but now I am stuck in an endless 'Configuring' loop.

Donos

Yes. with the media creation tool.

or manually mounting the proper ISO (has to fit to the W7/8 version you had, eg. W7 64 Bit Professional > W10 64 bit Professional) on a stick.

Went with the iso way since the media creation tool is horribly slow.

sangreal

My copy was given out by my university so it isn't eligible for download.

I would call them. I was in a similar situation where my Office key I received from work (HUP program) wasn't eligible for online download. Eventually they sent me another download link. Can't hurt to try.

If you don't feel like calling, check the FAQ for info on how to get in contact for a new key. It's supposed to work for OEM copies and I see nothing to suggest volume license keys are exempt (though you can just download that ISO elsewhere from the MS servers). Academic copies are specifically included, but I suspect that is for retail academic copies

Anyways, in one of the 2 FAQs there is info that says to and how to contact them for a new key if yours doesn't work

I certainly wouldn't waste money on a disc drive

Grexeno

So I had to send my new laptop back to ASUS for repairs because the battery stopped charging almost right out of the box. Part of the troubleshooting was reverting back to 8.1.

When I get the laptop back, should I be able to go back to 10 without any problems?

Double D

I updated my SP3 but really haven't had a whole lot of time to mess with it. Anyone else with a Surface care to throw some tips my way? I feel like I'm missing something with the whole tablet mode toggle button and what it is actually doing.

Ape

Banned
I updated my SP3 but really haven't had a whole lot of time to mess with it. Anyone else with a Surface care to throw some tips my way? I feel like I'm missing something with the whole tablet mode toggle button and what it is actually doing.

I put my taskbar on the top because it was too hard to hit the start menu on bottom with the kb in.

Still 'configuring'....

Is that the part with the giant circle with a percentage inside? When I did a clean install on my desktop my computer was stuck on 99% for 7 hours. >_>

I almost did a hard reset, even though the hard drive light was flashing the whole time, when it finally finished. I haven't had any problems with this install.

Is that the part with the giant circle with a percentage inside? When I did a clean install on my desktop my computer was stuck on 99% for 7 hours. >_>

I almost did a hard reset, even though the hard drive light was flashing the whole time, when it finally finished. I haven't had any problems with this install.

No, it's not even past the circling dots yet.

sangreal

So I had to send my new laptop back to ASUS for repairs because the battery stopped charging almost right out of the box. Part of the troubleshooting was reverting back to 8.1.

When I get the laptop back, should I be able to go back to 10 without any problems?

yes

if its the same hardware you get back, it would activate without problems and if it is new hardware, you'd have a new windows 8+10 license anyway

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Unless I'm doing it wrong, tablet mode just seems to make each app full rather than individual Windows on a desktop.

Dunlop

Is there any way to change the lock screen for windows 10 on a tablet?

I just installed on my HP Stream & (best $70 spent lol) but it always drove me nuts having to type in my outlook password each time the screen locks

vazel

Banned
Windows Media Center was discontinued with windows 10. What is the best alternative to this app? I assume XBMC?
XBMC/Kodi is a popular choice. If you're doing live TV recording like me I use Kodi with NextPVR as the backend, zap2xml for guide data, and MCEBuddy to delete commercials. NextPVR doesn't support encrypted channels like WMC unfortunately but SiliconDust is going to release PVR software in a few months that does support encrypted channels.

Stupid, minor question but is there really no regular, vanilla solitaire? I don't want to play Spider, Free Cell, etc. Just regular ass solitaire!

Donos

Windows Media Center was discontinued with windows 10. What is the best alternative to this app? I assume XBMC?

XBMC (now named Kodi) just got to version 15 (Isengard) and is very solid. Have it on almost all my devices (Amazon Fire TV / Stick / Rasperry Pi)

Edit: didn't see Vazel's post. Everything he said.

Nabs

Does anyone else have issues w/ Chrome windows becoming unresponsive when snapped? I'll usually have something playing on the side when I'll notice that it's not moving anymore. It goes back to normal once I begin to resize it.

derFeef

My GoPro acts weird in Win 10. It starts to charge after plugging in, but then seems to hang with the LED on. Camera does not appear in device maneger but I have a faulty USB device shown.

Top Bottom