• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Does anyone know if there's a program similar to OblyTile for Windows 10? My start screen looks really ugly with these default tiles, I want to customize them again

PaulloDEC

Does anyone know if there's a program similar to OblyTile for Windows 10? My start screen looks really ugly with these default tiles, I want to customize them again

I'd also like to know this. Someone linked this one back in one of the earlier threads, but I'd like to hear some impressions before I fire it up.

Forsythia

I may be an idiot, but is there any way to choose where to download a file in Edge? I know you can change the default location, but I want a box to pop up asking me where to download, like in every other browser out there.

Razmos

Hmm, I'm not having any major issues with windows 10, but my laptop is sorta hot. Like it usually only got this hot on windows 7 when I was playing a game.

I'm actually a bit scared to try any games on it in case it overheats.

Mat-triX

I'd also like to know this. Someone linked this one back in one of the earlier threads, but I'd like to hear some impressions before I fire it up.

In the "Post your W10 Desktop" thread, I vouched for "Pin Anything", but since it's removal from the App Store - and I guess the transistion to W10 - it no longer pins legacy applications. I used Oblytile for years but since W10 it doesn't work (and who knows when if ever it will get updated).

I DID find a replacement that is a mix of Oblytile and Pin Anything - "TileCreator". I say it's a mix because it's both a legacy app AND a metro app (you need both to get it to work). If you follow the link to XDA Developers, the developer of the app has instruction on how to get it working.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-10/development/app-tilecreator-create-tiles-to-t3171167#post62159640

It's rough - the logo is ugly and off-center, some features don't work (font color, tile sizes bigger than 'medium') - but it currently works for me. Sadly, it still opens the metro app when you click the tile, but unlike "Pin Anything", it quickly closes itself. I used the icons from OblyTile:

vDYTyZz.jpg

teiresias

Is it just my imagination or is text rendering worse in Windows 10 then it was in 8 or even 7? It just looks off to me and no amount of tuning Cleartext seems to help. I'm not sure what it is (or like I said it might just be placebo or something). Otherwise, I haven't really had any issues with 10 yet, though I haven't done any gaming and I upgraded from a brand new clean install of 8.1.

is there some wallpapers out there i can use for the login screen? want to have really a matching set to go with my desktop background and lock screen (may disable since it's really pointless) lol.

ghostjoke

Banned
Is inverted touchpad scrolling actually a thing? It seems Microsoft misinterpreted the "fuck off with your shitty drivers" notification and install this garbage anyway. It's an easy fix but wtf?

see5harp

Is inverted touchpad scrolling actually a thing? It seems Microsoft misinterpreted the "fuck off with your shitty drivers" notification and install this garbage anyway. It's an easy fix but wtf?

I use it on my MacBook and it's second nature at this point. It's a thing.

aeolist

Banned
has anyone else gotten an ad for office 365 as a notification? i just googled this after seeing it and couldn't find anything.

an ad on my desktop was so fucking weird i genuinely thought i might be hallucinating for a second

Tubie

has anyone else gotten an ad for office 365 as a notification? i just googled this after seeing it and couldn't find anything.

an ad on my desktop was so fucking weird i genuinely thought i might be hallucinating for a second

In the notifications icon thing? Yea that add has been there since like 30 minutes after installing Windows 10.

"Upgrade to Office and Save 50%"

I'm still on Office 2010 and have no reason to upgrade. I don't mind the notifications bar, it's nice for news and stuff, but I hope they don't spam offers like that.

Slavik81

Metro apps are so much better now that they're windowed and vertically scrolling. I might actually use the weather app on occasion.

Though the Windows Update app did just crash... Still, I'm impressed.

Metro apps are so much better now that they're windowed and vertically scrolling. I might actually use the weather app on occasion.

Though the Windows Update app did just crash... Still, I'm impressed.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. I actually use stuff like the Vevo app, now that I can truly let it run in the background

aeolist

Banned
In the notifications icon thing? Yea that add has been there since like 30 minutes after installing Windows 10.

"Upgrade to Office and Save 50%"

I'm still on Office 2010 and have no reason to upgrade. I don't mind the notifications bar, it's nice for news and stuff, but I hope they don't spam offers like that.

no, i haven't bothered with the slide-out notification tray at all, this was a pop up that came up by itself in the lower right corner

Dinskugga

Just upgraded.

it feels quite buggy. my options hangs up all the time when i try to make some changes.
and when i click on the startmeny it doesnt respond. and some other small stuff.

should maybe do a clean install.

------edit---------

yeah should do a clean. startmeny and all the new win10 things is laggy as hell and dont even respond really often. and hangs up

cackhyena

My father in law upgraded last week and everything is fine except for his computer not staying asleep. He said it's waking up on it's own. Anyone else having this issue? I could use a fix.

My father in law upgraded last week and everything is fine except for his computer not staying asleep. He said it's waking up on it's own. Anyone else having this issue? I could use a fix.

I have a similar problem. I select power off computer, and windows closes and the monitor is black, but the cpu stays on for some seconds, until it powers on again alone. It doesn't happens always. Gigabyte mobo.

aeolist

Banned

I have a similar problem. I select power off computer, and windows closes and the monitor is black, but the cpu stays on for some seconds, until it powers on again alone. It doesn't happens always. Gigabyte mobo.

i had this issue and it turned out to be my ethernet controller waking my machine up

try going to the device manager -> network adapters -> right click your network controller -> properties -> power management -> uncheck "allow this device to wake the computer"

worked immediately for me. it does disable wake on lan but i don't know anyone who actually uses that feature.

Just upgraded yesterday, is there a way/where is the option to get rid of the sign in screen on startup? Just an annoying extra step when you are the sole person using the pc.

Just upgraded yesterday, is there a way/where is the option to get rid of the sign in screen on startup? Just an annoying extra step when you are the sole person using the pc.

Windows key + R, type "netplwiz", check off "User must enter a user name or password to use this computer." Then go to settings>accounts>sign-in options and change require sign-in to never.

Guri

I'm curious to know why they went back to the old busy icon instead of the blue circle one from the Aero days. It's nostalgic, isn't it?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting.

After installing W10, I forcibly removed Groove Music and Movies & TV. I don't want either of them, and I don't like not being able to uninstall built-in programs. So I used PowerShell to uninstall them. A few days and a few reboots later, they're back. Microsoft noticed that they were missing and installed them for me. How generous.

I also noticed that you can only turn of Window Defender for a little while. If Windows notice you've had it off for some time, it automatically turns it back on.

aeolist

Banned
i don't know if it's thanks to the fairly extensive tweaks i've been doing to group policy and the registry or a result of installing updates or just early windows bugginess but i'm having some weird issues with system settings and permissions

shit keeps resetting to default or not working because of folder permissions

Ladekabel

I recently upgraded my laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and every data, program, game etc. I had on it made it over. Now my PC is ready for the upgrade. My question now: Should I backup documents, game saves and other stuff to an external hard drive for the upgrade since it's much more data or can I safely start the process without worrying? Thanks in advance.

aeolist

Banned
I recently upgraded my laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and every data, program, game etc. I had on it made it over. Now my PC is ready for the upgrade. My question now: Should I backup documents, game saves and other stuff to an external hard drive for the upgrade since it's much more data or can I safely start the process without worrying? Thanks in advance.

the way the upgrade works means that your data shouldn't ever be in danger of being erased

but really anything can happen, if you have a backup solution definitely run it beforehand

Donos

Damn, Task View is a game changer for me.

Didn't even know I needed such thing so badly.

I rember a program/update for Win XP which did the same thing. Rocket desktop or something like that. Used it like 8 years ago but forgot it after a while.

Lime

What's the basic / mandatory stuff you need to fix after installing w10? All the privacy stuff, unnecessary apps, mandatory apps, etc

clav

Think I'm going to disable fast boot because some Metro apps just stop working correctly.

Mail always gives a generic error message with no other details.

A reboot fixes it.

This is just like the Xbox One.

Anyway to turn off when you open images it sometimes opens a collections window as well. Kind of annoying, don't see it in the settings window.

Getting used to Windows 10. I'm dealing with a heavy lag with my typing in Edge so far. If I let myself type too fast, the lag causes letters/numbers to not type out. It skips over them.

I need to customize and snazz this thing up.

Ooh damn. I like Groove Music with the dark background. Looks nice.

Tubie

using windows 10 on my mom's new pc makes me want to upgrade my pc,

has anyone here with a asus pc get the upgrade yet?

I upgraded from 7 two days ago and the experience has been very good.

The biggest change for me is boot times are way faster for my PC.

Crisco

Banned
I'm impressed, did the in-place upgrade from 8.1 the other day and even on my desktop with an i7 and an SSD, it feels appreciably faster and more responsive. Even free'd up ~10GB on my OS partition after I nuked all the recovery files. Great job MS.

longdi

Banned
My Chrome browser turned to shit after upgrading from W8.1.
I had to disable hardware acceleration to get it back up. But without hardware acceleration, i am suffering frame drops in UHD videos and the likes.

I am on Nvidia latest drivers, worked great on W8.1. Any suggestions?

sangreal

My Chrome browser turned to shit after upgrading from W8.1.
I had to disable hardware acceleration to get it back up. But without hardware acceleration, i am suffering frame drops in UHD videos and the likes.

I am on Nvidia latest drivers, worked great on W8.1. Any suggestions?

do a reset? probably much less of a headache than tracking down an obscure issue like this

longdi

Banned
Ya i will do a reset once i am comfortable testing W10. I love a sparkling clean build. Meanwhile, i hope this can solved if anyone else experienced the same issue?

Windows key + R, type "netplwiz", check off "User must enter a user name or password to use this computer." Then go to settings>accounts>sign-in options and change require sign-in to never.

thanks, figured having it set to never would have been enough but it still asked me lol.

Top Bottom