• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Ah, more bullshit from good ol' Gordon Kelly.

1) Solitaire is still free in the exact same way it always has been. All of the game modes are free, no ads of any kind.

There are new additional features like tournaments, daily challenges, and other items. They are all free to play, or you can watch an ad beforehand.

2) DVD Playback is still free for whomever had it originally. People with Media Center get the DVD Playback app for free when upgrading.

It is indeed $15 for anyone who didn't previously use media center. But if you weren't previously using Media Center, this isn't a feature being "taken away", it's one you never used in the first place.

Also, any computers that ship with DVD players these days come with DVD playback software anyway.

Why the hell should Microsoft pay a license for enabling DVD playback for every single Windows computer when the vast majority don't even have DVD players anymore?

3) Random straw-man fluff bullshit that he added just to get a second page and set of ad views out of his article.

Just for some clarification, the DVD App, does it still come free after you do a clean install after upgrading?
I'm assuming not, as I dont have it, but would like to know.

Hesemonni

Banned
The most impressive thing about the upgrade, which I finally got, was that I didn't have to shuffle my stuff around. No moving of unwatched movies or mp3 or re-installing of programs, it just works!

But seriously, why doesn't Microsoft offer the upgrade deal to XP / Vista users?

dLMN8R

Just for some clarification, the DVD App, does it still come free after you do a clean install after upgrading?
I'm assuming not, as I dont have it, but would like to know.

I'm not sure. But I would hope the app is simply added to your account so you can re-download it to the same account just like any other app.

RobbieNick

Everytime I go to upgrade, it goes through the process reboots my system several times, then brings me back to my regular Windows 7 saying something happened to prevent me from upgrading. Anybody know what's going on?

lemmykoopa

Guys I just upgraded from 8.1 to 10 on my laptop by mounting the .ISO file from the MS site. However I would like to do a clean install because I keep having 100% disk usage. If I choose the 'reset windows' option in settings, will I need to provide a disc with the installation files during setup?

Xrenity

Whenever I choose 'Shut down', my system actually gets restarted. Anyone know what's up? Didn't do that with windows 7.

The issue, I believe, is not about Cortana understanding the language, but is more about making Cortana culturally aware/relevant for each respective country.
I'm in Canada. I don't need Cortana to be culturally relevant to be able to kick a search off by voice, or give me a what's up about what my calendar says.

I'm not sure. But I would hope the app is simply added to your account so you can re-download it to the same account just like any other app.

Doesnt seem to be the case.
I dont have the app pre-installed and it wants me to pay for it on the store.

I'm not fussed, I dont want DVD's on my PC, but was curious about the situation.

Grexeno

So the update screen seemed to be stuck at "Preparing for installation" forever, so I stopped the download and restarted the computer. Did I screw it up?

maeh2k

So far I'm really happy with Windows 10. Seems like my system has never booted up faster and I love the windowed apps.

Some thoughts:
- Edge doesn't yet cover the use cases I used IE for; i.e. pinning sites to the task bar. Having outlook.com pinned worked really well.
- The new start menu really de-emphasizes the live tiles. I hardly ever open it, since my most important apps are pinned to the task bar. That feels like a step back from Windows 8. I'll try switching to the full-screen start menu for a while.
- At times, I even miss the Windows 8 hot corners; e.g. when I'm watching a movie and quickly want to know the time.
- As much as I loved the virtual desktops in OS X 10.6, I haven't used them even once Windows so far. With my basically always-on Macbook (where the Windows always stayed in their spaces), and the hot corners in OS X, which made navigating and switching spaces fast and comfortable, I heavily relied on the virtual desktops. Working on my master's thesis, I had tons of papers, notes, windows, .... spread over 12 virtual desktops. They just stayed there for months.

Slavik81

Thus far, I'm impressed. The desktop is much more visually consistent than Windows 8, and I haven't had to look up how to do anything.

As an additional plus, my dual-boot configuration seems to have survived the upgrade.

Cross posting

Does anyone else have the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon in the taskbar, even though there's nothing like a USB stick, external hdd, etc. plugged in? Not a big deal but it's annoying me. If I click on the icon it just shows "Open Devices and Printers" and three dots (...) under that. Clicking on the three dots does nothing.

Ensirius

If you have multiple virtual desktops you can use

ctrl+Windows key+left/right arrow key to switch between them!

Works even with games in fullscreen mode.
Oh my God no way...
I have to try this out as soon as I get back from summer break.

NoRéN

Got the pop up today and windows 10 started downloading. Now have the window asking me to accept terms except I don't want to install yet. Will the download automatically install when I accept or should I decline for now?

clav

What are some new keyboard commands in windows 10?

Windows A -> Action Center
Windows C -> Talk to Cortana
Windows S -> Display Cortana
Windows I -> Settings
Windows G -> Open up Game Bar to take snapshots and record videos

Some that are from Windows 8 if you didn't know:

Windows Print Screen -> Take a snapshot of all monitors and save to Pictures under Screenshots folder
Alt Print Screen -> Copy current screen state of active app to Clipboard. Manually paste in photo editor of your choice.
Windows X -> Open up Power User shortcuts

Drifters

I get that people should be aware of that and have the options to opt out of whatever, but turning all that off turns off a lot convenient features the OS can provide and is clearly turning off security features that seems like a no-brainer to have enabled.

To each their own I guess
Indeed. I'm just making people aware for those who want it. Me personally, I went about 80% there but left on a few things.

mokeyjoe

The most impressive thing about the upgrade, which I finally got, was that I didn't have to shuffle my stuff around. No moving of unwatched movies or mp3 or re-installing of programs, it just works!

But seriously, why doesn't Microsoft offer the upgrade deal to XP / Vista users?

It's pretty arbitrary but there had to be some cutoff. Microsoft ended support for Vista a while ago, XP even earlier so it made sense to only support systems that were still receiving official support. Also in terms of system requirements then most W7 machines can probably run W10. It's less likely to be the case with Vista or XP machines (which go back to 2001).

Guesong

So I have 64-bits W10, but most programs seems to run at 32 bits despite having installed the 64 bits version before I upgraded.

Hmmm.

clav

Word/Excel/Power Point Mobile

And OneNote is just OneNote :p

I thought the core 3 office apps in mobile form were only free on screen sizes 10.1" or lower.

There is no free version for desktop users and laptop users unless you use the website.

Two Words

The default update settings are terrible if you play games a lot. Before I changed it, I've had the auto-updated hard lock my system twice while playing games and I had to restart.

I thought the core 3 office apps in mobile form were only free on screen sizes 10.1" or lower.

There is no free version for desktop users and laptop users unless you use the website.

They are free to download and view documents/spreadsheets/etc, but on a device of 10.1" or larger you need an Office 365 sub to edit documents. That of course does not interfere with the existing desktop version of Office through the standalone version or Office 365.

The default update settings are terrible if you play games a lot. Before I changed it, I've had the auto-updated hard lock my system twice while playing games and I had to restart.

Isn't the default time like 3AM? :p

Grexeno

So my computer was downloading Windows 10, but then it seemed to be doing nothing for a long time at "Preparing for installation." So like an idiot I stopped the download, closed Windows Update, and restarted the computer.

I put myself in the queue for a new download, but is there any way I can restart that previous download? If not, how long can I expect it to be before I can download again?

So my computer was downloading Windows 10, but then it seemed to be doing nothing for a long time at "Preparing for installation." So like an idiot I stopped the download, closed Windows Update, and restarted the computer.

I put myself in the queue for a new download, but is there any way I can restart that previous download? If not, how long can I expect it to be before I can download again?

It'll resume your download I think, even if the percent meter starts at the beginning, it'll jump to your previous point after a bit.

Is this if I bring Windows Update back up, or if I wait for the queue to get to me?

Wait, I might have misread your post. "Preparing for Installation" means that you've downloaded the bits and it's prepping for the update. If you open Windows Update it should prepare again.

clav

They are free to download and view documents/spreadsheets/etc, but on a device of 10.1" or larger you need an Office 365 sub to edit documents. That of course does not interfere with the existing desktop version of Office through the standalone version or Office 365.

But viewers have always been free. This just seems like a shoe-in to sell Office 365 subs.

Two Words

Isn't the default time like 3AM? :p
It did it to me at like 6 PM.

I recieved the update notification earlier but yeah... I think I'm going to wait a little longer and hope MS irons out some of the issues and other companies the driver stuff.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Unless you're being sarcastic, I don't see how this makes any difference. It's not as if the auto-installer is intelligent in figuring out which drivers work best with which systems and tailors your download as such.
Microsoft is only saying Windows 10 is ready for your system when they are confident that the drivers etc... are ready and you will have an easy upgrade experience. If they are not confident and there are still issues, they won't notify you.

Top Bottom