• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

z3phon

Need help guys. My friend upgraded to windows 10 because of how great I said its running for me so I feel some what responsible. :p
His computers running extremely slow after upgrading. I haven't seen it myself but he says everythings too slow and basically it's not usable. Some thing like this video.
https://youtu.be/b5gdtndXBM0

Has there been any bugs or reports of a issue like this and any tips that could help.

abracadaver

How can you disable chrome adding another icon to the taskbar once you open it?

wtfccuw9.jpg

The steam and chrome icons are shortcuts that are always in my taskbar. When I start steam it just adds the white line at the bottom. When I start chrome it now adds another tab instead of just showing the icon with a white line. How do I turn it off? It only started happening after a few days, before that it worked with just having the white line.

Also how do you turn off that a button press on the keyboard turns the computer on?

saunderez

Need help guys. My friend upgraded to windows 10 because of how great I said its running for me so I feel some what responsible. :p
His computers running extremely slow after upgrading. I haven't seen it myself but he says everythings too slow and basically it's not usable. Some thing like this video.

Has there been any bugs or reports of a issue like this and any tips that could help.
Is he fully updated? And how many reboots has he done. I just installed it on a 1.2ghz Netbook and it was rather slow at first. After updating, rebooting a few times and waiting for search indexing and some compilation to finish it was much faster.

mandiller

Does anyone know of a better mail client than the default one? The default one would be fine except I can't get a unified inbox for my two gmail accounts.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm curious to see if they actually support this Xbox app. It's a neat idea, but entirely useless at the moment.

wtfccuw9.jpg

The steam and chrome icons are shortcuts that are always in my taskbar. When I start steam it just adds the white line at the bottom. When I start chrome it now adds another tab instead of just showing the icon with a white line. How do I turn it off? It only started happening after a few days, before that it worked with just having the white line.

Also how do you turn off that a button press on the keyboard turns the computer on?
I've seen that happen on Windows 7 and 8.x as well. Unpin the icon that you've had pinned to the taskbar and pin the one that has the opened window associated and it should fix the issue.
I'm curious to see if they actually support this Xbox app. It's a neat idea, but entirely useless at the moment.
The Xbox team is pretty consistent with a monthly cadence for updates, I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
What's useless about streaming? It's great.

Right now it's a service with just a handful of mobile ports and Minecraft. Streaming capabilities are a neat addition for folks who will use it, but considering having a PC hooked up to a TV is fairly common these days, it's not exactly a major selling point. It's a side attraction, tops.

jediyoshi

The games themselves are indicative of the Windows store itself, nothing to do with the Xbox app. A lot of them were up back when Windows 8 and the store first launched.

but considering having a PC hooked up to a TV is fairly common these days

Is this actually true. I have a hard time believing even streaming service dedicated set top boxes are common, and I'd imagine those outnumber gaming capable PCs hooked up to TVs by a giant margin.

I've got a VAIO laptop that did exact same thing, it would boot up but after about 10/15 seconds, the entire Windows Explorer function wouldn't respond to anything. Keyboard shortcuts, Windows key, task bar, nothing would work.

Tried numerous reboots, not sure if it was just the result of even more reboots or something else but when you log in (on the log in screen, enter user Id, password) then hold shift while the desktop loads. This appears to have fixed it for me.

Did that once, it's been fine ever since. No idea if it was a genuine fix (found via google) or just a happy coincidence...

Edit: apparently it's temporarily disabling startup applications...

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-temporarily-disable-startup-applications-in-windows-7-easily

Hanzou

wtfccuw9.jpg

I might be wrong but I think there is a setting in your bios called wake up by USB, or something close to that wording. I always understood this allowed you by pressing a button on your mouse or keyboard. I could be totally off base here though.

Werd

I'm really liking W10 personally.

- I'm using Cortana much more than expected. Alarms and reminders in Windows have reached the ease of use to get me to actually bother with it, I like the quick Weather/news scroll without permanently plastering it to my desktop, and while I don't find voice necessary or reliable enough for normal use it has come in handy a few times. Used it yesterday a bit while eating a snack for example, kept my keyboard clean =). Obviously most of Cortana's function could be done in other ways, but built into the OS and easy to use is nice. On the negative, it just launches a web search for a ton of stuff google voice can provide in client.

- Virtual desktops are great. Again something I knew you could do, but polished and easy to use here gets me to actually do so. I set next/previous desktop to the upper side buttons I never used on my LG502, and snap back and forth easily. Very nice to have one layout for work and one for web browsing/games/entertainment etc. so I can take a quick break without messing up my workflow setup.

- I have a Surface Pro 2 and liked the 8.1 start page a lot for touch use, so I never had an objection to it. But the implementation here is certainly superior for desktop use. Lets me clean up my taskbar quite a bit, and I've started messing with custom tiles and such to get it to just be visually appealing.

- Not amazing or anything, but I do like most of the new apps. I already have a lot of capture software and hardware with necessary settings control, but I will probably use the XBox app for more casual recording of occasional game clips or such. In any case, nice to have a built in option.

Y'know what'd be a good way for MS to bolster their store with (relatively) minimal effort? Just stick all their oldschool pre-digital-storefront titles on there after running them through some compatibility troubleshooting/fixes. Was just jonesing for some Zoo Tycoon 2, couldn't find my CD, and honestly I'd probably pay 1-5 bucks for it digital just for the convenience factor. They've got some real gems there.

Pachimari

Can I somehow replace the icons in the Start menu with my own? So if I put Minecraft there it is a small ugly logo, could I change that?

Setsuna

Can I somehow replace the icons in the Start menu with my own? So if I put Minecraft there it is a small ugly logo, could I change that?

right click
open file location
right click shortcut
properties
change icon

Although I doubt it will make the actual icon bigger

Mat-triX

I tried seraching the thread, but I couldn't find someone with the EXACT same problem as me: Upgraded to W10, and some legacy apps run at a lower resolution than they use to on W8/8.1. Firefox, Chrome, Photoshop, and Premiere all run at 1080p (my Laptop's resolution) but uTorrent, BS Player, Steam, and other legacy applications run at 720.

From what I understand, Windows 8 had an option to have all applications (metro, legacy) run at the same resolution, but in W10 they removed it (?). Is there a known fix?

I've already played around with the DPI settings, but it's currently at the default (125% recommended)

Okay, I feel like an idiot but I give up. The windows website is giving me steps that don't work. How the hell do I change my desktop background?

The best part of Windows 10 is that the start menu icon is rectangular instead of round like Windows 7 so having the task bar on top of the menu is less annoying for me. In Windows 7 the circle would always cut into applications such as the browser (if you used "small icons" setting for task bar) and it would annoy me to no end so I couldn't use the task bar on top of the screen but now I can.

J8sFQtN.png

Klocker

I upgraded from an OEM version of win 7 but if I decide to build another computer before the end of the 1st year is up, does that mean I need to install one of my other retail versions of w7 or win8 first and then upgrade again?

Or can I find/use the key from this OEM installation to do a clean install of 10 on a machine I build?

The app update in the Windows store is broken for me.

I have 6 updates that refuse to download no matter what I do.

It's annoying because mail and Onenote won't work until they are updated.

ghostjoke

Banned
Since the release candidate Windows 10 is feeling more and more like an overbearing parent who has no trust in their child. I've been routing through group policy more times in the past week than I have in my life up to to this point.

I also love how it's has now gotten itself trapped in a loop of installing two separate touchpad drivers that keep replacing the other, resetting settings in the process.

Barely upgraded a couple of days ago but just tried listening to music for the first time today. The audio is terrible. It's like lo-fi or something. I listened to music on my phone just to check if it was my headphones, and the audio on that was great. Anybody else having this issue?
or can help me lol

Klocker

The app update in the Windows store is broken for me.

I have 6 updates that refuse to download no matter what I do.

It's annoying because mail and Onenote won't work until they are updated.

There was a windows store refresh command in win 8 that you could enter at run that may still apply. Try a web search and see if it works in 10 maybe? I am assuming you tried a couple reboots? Sometimes it rights it self in time. Another less desirable option may trying another user account eventually.

There was a windows store refresh command in win 8 that you could enter at run that may still apply. Try a web search and see if it works in 10 maybe? I am assuming you tried a couple reboots? Sometimes it rights it self in time. Another less desirable option may trying another user account eventually.

I tried that method but it didn't work.

Something else I've noticed is that in the Windows store settings the option to turn off automatic app updates is greyed out and says that I need to contact the administrator to change it.

My account is the administrator account and the only one on the pc.

Klocker

I tried that method but it didn't work.

Something else I've noticed is that in the Windows store settings the option to turn off automatic app updates is greyed out and says that I need to contact the administrator to change it.

My account is the administrator account and the only one on the pc.

Yea I ran into admin issues earlier this week and had to log in to local account and delete my main (online) user account, reboot and make a new user . Cleared up most issues I was having. Worth a try maybe? At least you don't need to reinstall all your programs but apps are refreshed I believe. Just be sure to save your user data (all files) to copy back afterward from the local account (or wherever you decide to put it).

For me it was faster to copy my data to another HDD and then hit delete all data when removing the account.

Donos

I upgraded from an OEM version of win 7 but if I decide to build another computer before the end of the 1st year is up, does that mean I need to install one of my other retail versions of w7 or win8 first and then upgrade again?

Or can I find/use the key from this OEM installation to do a clean install of 10 on a machine I build?

You only can update but not with the key. You don't use the key at all. W10 grabs the Key from the Win7/8 install when upgrading. But you can do a clean install on the same machine (format everything etc) after the upgrade. Just skip the key prompts and W10 recognises that you/the machine is eligible. But you always need to do the upgrade first on that machine.

Klocker

You only can update but not with the key. You don't use the key at all. W10 grabs the Key from the Win7/8 install when upgrading. But you can do a clean install on the same machine (format everything etc) after the upgrade. Just skip the key prompts and W10 recognises that you/the machine is eligible. But you always need to do the upgrade first on that machine.

Ok thanks. So what if I were to install windows 7/8 retail version onto this machine and then upgrade to 10 again? Does that give me a license to install for free on new machine later (as if using my win 7 retail) or again, do I need to go through the whole upgrade process again even if I upgraded over a win 7 or win 8 retail licenses??

Jakabok

So, am I right in thinking that you can't create a boot device and do a clean install after upgrading? You have to either reinstall W7/8 then upgrade again, or do a 'reset' from within W10? That sucks if true.

Drifters

So, am I right in thinking that you can't create a boot device and do a clean install after upgrading? You have to either reinstall W7/8 then upgrade again, or do a 'reset' from within W10? That sucks if true.

Since there is a lot of confusion on this, I may need to make a post in the OP regarding the procedure. A "clean install" to Microsoft via Windows 8 onward is a "system reset" which uses the Boot partition to clean the root drive and re-install the base operating system. This allows you to do so without media which is quite nice. I think a lot of people coming from Windows 7 may be confused about this but it is the same as installing a USB drive / DVD and doing a "wipe" and install.

Sure you can. I did this very thing.

Jakabok

I tried this on my desktop but couldn't activate windows? Phone MS support who told me I'd have to reinstall Windows 8 and upgrade?

sangreal

I tried this on my desktop but couldn't activate windows? Phone MS support who told me I'd have to reinstall Windows 8 and upgrade?

try doing a reset after the clean install once you have all the drivers and such

that is what finally got it to activate for me

I also messed around with a bunch of other activation settings so I can't say for sure. Before I reset though, it was showing up as a new device on my account, and afterwards it was recognized as the old device again

Since there is a lot of confusion on this, I may need to make a post in the OP regarding the procedure. A "clean install" to Microsoft via Windows 8 onward is a "system reset" which uses the Boot partition to clean the root drive and re-install the base operating system. This allows you to do so without media which is quite nice. I think a lot of people coming from Windows 7 may be confused about this but it is the same as installing a USB drive / DVD and doing a "wipe" and install.

that doesn't help you when you're replacing the drive

Drifters

try doing a reset after the clean install once you have all the drivers and such

that is what finally got it to activate for me

I also messed around with a bunch of other activation settings so I can't say for sure. Before I reset though, it was showing up as a new device on my account, and afterwards it was recognized as the old device again

that doesn't help you when you're replacing the drive
To the posters point, that wasn't a requirement and you can make boot media from the Windows 10 media on Microsoft's website. I would imagine people who are replacing the drive would look up that info in terms of swapping hardware.

Well, today I reverted my media PC from Win10 to Win8.1. It was a painful thing to go back to Win8.1 but Nvidia's drivers are hilariously broken in Win10 doing something as simple as showing the desktop in 4K resolution with 60hz refresh. I hope Nvidia fixes this someday.

sangreal

To the posters point, that wasn't a requirement and you can make boot media from the Windows 10 media on Microsoft's website. I would imagine people who are replacing the drive would look up that info in terms of swapping hardware.

Making the boot media is not the issue -- the problem is with activation once you do the clean install on a new boot drive

I've seen that happen on Windows 7 and 8.x as well. Unpin the icon that you've had pinned to the taskbar and pin the one that has the opened window associated and it should fix the issue.

This doesn't seem to work with all applications. Itunes, for instance, always will add a second icon in the taskbar, no matter what you pin to it.

Donos

Ok thanks. So what if I were to install windows 7/8 retail version onto this machine and then upgrade to 10 again? Does that give me a license to install for free on new machine later (as if using my win 7 retail) or again, do I need to go through the whole upgrade process again even if I upgraded over a win 7 or win 8 retail licenses??

Sorry, don't really understand you completely. I'm not a native english speaker.

If you have Win7/8 on a machine> you can upgrade to W10 (till 2016 or something like that) for free on that machine. It has to be an upgrade process, with W7/8 installed. You don't use the key from your W7/8 install (you have to skip all key input requests in the W10 upgrade process). After the upgrade, you can clean install W10 how often you like since the machine is associated with a legit W10 version.

I had a Toshiba Laptop with W7 and upgraded to W10. Then i completely wiped the SSD with a boot stick with W10 Prof. iso on it, formated everything and made new partitions and skipped the key prompt. After everything was finished, W10 activated itself. Hope that helps to clear things up.

So far i like it. W7 with some nice imrovements. Almost everything on the app store is trash though and alot of stuff for tablets/touch capable laptops. But it's ok, got it for free and it runs good. No driver problems except the sd card reader seems to work a bit iffy so far.

Since upgrading to windows 10 I've noticed a downgrade in performance when playing a few of my steam games. For instance I put hundreds of hours into xcom before windows 10 (playing on the highest setting, and the game isn't very graphically demanding) and for some reason it's so laggy now I can't play unless I'm on the lowest setting. Is there something I can do?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Meh, I can't wait to try out windows 10 but I'm still waiting on drivers for my Asus P8Z68V-Pro Gen3 motherboard :(
(Still on windows 7)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You have SnowyDune Launcher http://launcher.snowydune.com/ for PinMore, if you prefer PinMore app.
It's from the same developer http://www.snowydune.com/

I'm confused what this does? I have Pin More which lets me browse my steam library, grabs images automatically and creates tiles for me. Is this launcher needed for other apps? Does it bypass the part where Pin More launches and stays on the screen after launching the target app?

Faddy

Banned

As I understand the situation you have a year where you can upgrade Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10.

OEM copies are locked in the exact same way as before, to the machine hardware.

If you have a retail copy of Windows 7 the message from Microsoft is that the free upgrade expires in a year, so if you build a whole new machine from scratch in 18 months time you won't be able to upgrade your Windows 7 license for free.

If you upgrade a retail windows 7 license to Windows 10 you should be able to re-use your product key to activate Windows 10 on another machine but this will probably require calling Microsoft to activate the license.

Top Bottom