• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 S won't let you change the default browser or switch to Google search

giga

ygLy25L.png

Microsoft introduced its Chrome OS competitor, Windows 10 S, at a special event in New York City today. The software maker was quick to reveal only Windows Store apps will run on Windows 10 S, and Windows chief Terry Myerson even revealed the new OS ”will run any browser in the Windows Store." While it's true Windows 10 S can run any browser from the Store, Microsoft is restricting users from altering the default browser on this new OS.

In a FAQ for Windows 10 S, Microsoft admits ”you are able to download another browser that might be available from the Windows Store, but Microsoft Edge will remain the default if, for example, you open an .htm file." This means if you click a link from another app, or open a link from an email then you'll be thrown into Microsoft Edge, even if you wanted to use another browser. It's not clear if Google will even bring Chrome to the Windows Store, but if it does then it might be a pointless venture as it won't be fully functional without being the default browser on Windows 10 S.

Likewise, Microsoft is also crippling its own Edge browser. The default search provider in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer in Windows 10 S cannot be changed. Bing will be the default, and Microsoft is preventing users from switching to Google or other search providers for some unknown reason. This isn't the type of choice Windows users are typically used to, and it will be interesting to see if Microsoft is willing to alter this based on feedback from Windows 10 S users.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/2/15525654/microsoft-windows-10s-default-browser-microsoft-edge?

Skyzard

Banned
So it seems they aren't afraid of having a Windows store only machine. So other exe files from other websites won't work?

Oppo

eh, whatevs. Chrome has major weird perf issues on my XPS 15. Edge is really nice. What's good for Apple etc. If this S variant is all about staying in a stable
ecosystem then why not. Windows is all about choice; this is one of them... and a popular one going by Apple/iOS.

Madness

I have a feeling the EU isn't going to take to kindly to this.

This isn't the 1990's. The EU hardly took a hardline on Apple. Besides, would just be easy for MS to avoid the region. But this tells me I won't update to Windows 10 S. Don't know why Microsoft pulls this garbage. Always one step forward, two steps back. They start to recover from Windows 8 with Windows 10 only to do this. They start to get some decent Edge browser use only to do this. Same goes for the Windows Store. They'll deserve everything they get.

It never ends with Microsoft. Always trying to box you in and turn you into a revenue stream. Just make decent software and we will buy it.

Is this basically the Apple model for iOS devices? And Apple gets away with it because their software and hardware are tied tightly together?

Or can you set say Maps as the default map app and have all system functions/map links default to that?

This isn't the 1990's. The EU hardly took a hardline on Apple. Besides, would just be easy for MS to avoid the region. But this tells me I won't update to Windows 10 S. Don't know why Microsoft pulls this garbage. Always one step forward, two steps back. They start to recover from Windows 8 with Windows 10 only to do this. They start to get some decent Edge browser use only to do this. Same goes for the Windows Store. They'll deserve everything they get.

10 S isn't an OS update for everyone, it's a fork of Windows meant for low-performance machines

Lkr

Don't see the big deal. Can't change on Chrome OS and no one has a problem with Apple forcing safari on everyone as default on iOS.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I have a feeling the EU isn't going to take to kindly to this.

Another 5 billion fine to EU then.

Do you guys know that the market is dominated by Android, iOS and then Windows 10 is third. And then comes the Windows 7, XP and then S might make the cut in a year lol
Its not monopoly anymore if MS even decide to do it.
so this EU argument is pretty dumb

ViciousDS

Banned
Nine hundred and ninety-nine US Dollars and you get this as your OS? I'd rather use Windows Me.

Oh god.....can you imagine if the surface pro 5 comes with Windows 10 S and they force you to buy a windows 10 Home or Pro key?

It's a OS meant for education use - an area that Microsoft was losing share to Chromebook.

The caveat is a Surface Laptop is $1k.........and all insanely cheaper alternatives come with windows 10 in full

why would anyone opt for windows 10 S?

Kaydan

Banned
Oh god.....can you imagine if the surface pro 5 comes with Windows 10 S and they force you to buy a windows 10 Home or Pro key?

The caveat is a Surface Laptop is $1k.........and all insanely cheaper alternatives come with windows 10 in full
You can upgrade to Windows 10 pro for free if you buy a surface laptop.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

You do know that you can upgrade to Pro anytime you want with NO EXTRA charge

RedAssedApe

Banned
can newer versions of chromebook (with android apps) support other browsers? if not...i mean why would people get pissy about this and not chrome os?

ViciousDS

Banned
Microsoft forcing their own apps down people's throats? what else is new?

well

not exactly I guess

During a demonstration onstage, Myerson showed off the ability to support peripherals and devices just like regular Windows 10. Myerson also noted that Microsoft has "streamlined" the default wallpaper for Windows 10 S, a strange change to note during Microsoft's keynote. "Windows 10 S will run any browser in the Windows Store," says Myerson, hinting that if Google is willing to list Chrome in the Store then it will be available on devices that run Windows 10 S. Without Chrome, Microsoft has obviously focused on its Edge browser and in particular education sites and web apps.

So maybe this is the kind of shit that actually pushes the windows store to carry a ton more apps lol

giga

can newer versions of chromebook (with android apps) support other browsers? if not...i mean why would people get pissy about this and not chrome os?

Because people have different expectations from Windows? Chrome OS is Chrome.

jediyoshi

Because Windows 10 S is ostensibly a real OS running on real hardware whose actual focus is on other administrative tasks. It's beyond arbitrary.

Top Bottom