• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central on US December NPD: PS4 sold 1,568,000 (238K Pro), XB1 sold 1,511,000

The GPU jumps to 6TF (around a 980Ti, which right now retails at around $500ish I believe?)
Try to compare with an AMD gpu...6TF is a R9 390x.

At $399 I expect 6 TF with not having a substantial subsidy yet if they go at a higher pricepoint I suspect 8 TF at $499 is not impossible.
If Scorpio releases at $500 it will be DOA regardless of reasonable TF amounts. That's a price point that will start to compete with PCs.

Right. That's why new iPhones sell so shitty when people have old phones that can browse the web and make calls.

Ah yes, the old phone compared to console argument. Phones which are subsidized, have vastly more daily function, and are pretty much deemed a necessity. Do you not see how silly that argument is. {Phones sell more in 1 day then what consoles do in years.

Pro was always intended to be the niche product though that's the thing, and I think in sales and purpose its serving its role well

Scorpio (I THINK) will be pushed full speed ahead on a much different and significant level the potential is much bigger but that's all it is, potential, they can still colossally fuck it up

I have a Pro and I like it. But then again I liked my 32x. Still I'll be damned if UC4 doesn't look amazing on it. Worth it. Can't wait for Scorpio.

Ah yes, the old phone compared to console argument. Phones which are subsidized, have vastly more daily function, and are pretty much deemed a necessity. Do you not see how silly that argument is. {Phones sell more in 1 day then what consoles do in years.

What more function does a new iPhone have over the last iPhone? People buy things out of more than necessity. You just have to show them why they want it. Come on E3.

How many iPhones are bought outside of a contract?

Today, even on contract it costs an arm and a leg. But anyway, this isn't about phones. People will buy a good product. It's up to MS to sell it as a good product that makes all the "hot" lists for the holidays.

People who say they think scorpio will do better then Pro, do you mean Worldwide or just US? If it is worldwide then I'd like to hear the reasoning as I doubt scorpio does half what pro will WW.

Truth. Truth that will be argued against and mocked. But truth nonetheless.

i think Microsoft will got the Apple and Xb360 route

$399 Sku with 500GB HDD and $499 Sku with 2TB HDD instead of just 1 to increase the value perception of the consumer and lead more people to pick up the more expensive Sku. The better margins on the $499 2TB modell will also be able to offset a potential COGS loss for the entry level 500GB modell at just $399

500GB is to less for a console released in 2017? they can easily brag about external HDD support and that many Xbox gamer already have an external HDD, so they wanted to keep the price as low as possible.
That would be at least smart in my opinion

People who say they think scorpio will do better then Pro, do you mean Worldwide or just US? If it is worldwide then I'd like to hear the reasoning as I doubt scorpio does half what pro will WW.
NPD thread. they probably talk about the US market

Thirty percent of PS4 sales come from NA. Sony sold 1.5M consoles in the USA for Dec and sold over 6M WW. Reign in that hyperbole lol.

Ps4 is at 53.4m WW and 17.5m US sales.
so 32,8% of all Ps4 sales are from the US

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think that Scorpio will do a lot better in NA/UK out of the gate due to differences in the approach to marketing the consoles.

Worldwide though, Xbox only has an uphill battle.

DocSeuss

Folks, a piece of hardware does not the same in a console as it would off the shelf. That is not how this works. That is not how any of this works. The components don't cost that much.

Scorpio will be competing with PS5, for one thing.

Humdinger

Squeaker of a month. Pro didn't sell all that great, but as others have said, it was probably to be expected, given the price points, holiday crowd, lack of marketing, and lack of incentives.

Scorpio will not be marketed as a mid-gen upgrade ...

Yes it IS an upgraded Xbox One but it won't be marketed like it again...

PS4 Pro's marketing was 'the PS4 you know and love, but with 4K capability' and that's fine, its an accurate message and its a nice product, but people will just go for the cheaper PS4.

Scorpios marketing will not be that, aesthetics will be different, you will be bombarded with big blockbuster games and how they look, box art might be changed a bit, any mention of XB1S will be deprioritized by the truckload, its not a new console but it will be treated like one.

I tend to agree with this (I've omitted the examples, which I think blur the point). I think there will be a significant difference between how MS positions this vs. how Sony positioned the Pro. They will certainly mention the Xbox One and compatibility of titles. But their emphasis will be on how improved it is and how much power is under the hood (compared to how Sony downplayed these), and they will downplay the connection to the Xbox One (compared to how much Sony emphasized the connection to PS4).

This is all just my speculation, of course. We shall see. But I think that would be effective for them. They don't want to distance themselves too much from the original Xbox One, but I can't see them playing it understated (and almost underselling it) like Sony did.

How come everyone just takes it as fact that MS will heavily market the Scorpio? The Xbox division is seemingly getting less funding not more. They might market the hell out of it but I don't really get why people are so confident that they will.

For me, it's just a sense that they are really banking on Scorpio turning perceptions around in the core gamer community. They don't have a lot to boast about on the software front, but they do in terms of hardware. This is their ace in the hole. They have to push it hard. They've got a lot riding on it.

I have a Pro and I like it. But then again I liked my 32x. Still I'll be damned if UC4 doesn't look amazing on it. Worth it. Can't wait for Scorpio.

What more function does a new iPhone have over the last iPhone? People buy things out of more than necessity. You just have to show them why they want it. Come on E3.

Today, even on contract it costs an arm and a leg. But anyway, this isn't about phones. People will buy a good product. It's up to MS to sell it as a good product that makes all the "hot" lists for the holidays.

Phones are a necessity that sell hundreds of million in a month and more importantly, most get them FREE as they are subsidized and through a contract.....consoles and phones could not be more different, expensive consoles won't have that kind of market force. MS cannot force people to want 4k, which is still a small part of the market, it will have the same issues Pro does.

Scorpio, 8TF and $400?

Well, that's one way to empty that war chest.

I wonder what some of you are even smoking, because without concrete facts this sound like a load of bullshit, secret sauce™ all over again.

Folks, a piece of hardware does not the same in a console as it would off the shelf. That is not how this works. That is not how any of this works. The components don't cost that much.

It still costs more, what you are suggesting is fan fiction wishes. You cannot get whatever you want and slap a price on it you wish, that is not how any of this works.

I wonder how sales would be effected if they tease the PS5 around the launch of the Scorpio? We've seen how sales suffer when we know a new iteration is coming.

zewone

It's possible they scrap the mid-gen upgrade and make the Scorpio the XB2.

The problem would be that MS's next gen will look very similar to last gen's PS4 Pro.

By the time the PS5 will come out it won't be in the same ballpark.

Not to mention the bad blood it will cause with consumers who bought an XB1 for it's generation to end so soon.

People will feel they got burned and not put faith into buying a MS console.

Phones are a necessity that sell hundreds of million in a month and more importantly, most get them FREE as they are subsidized and through a contract.....consoles and phones could not be more different, expensive consoles won't have that kind of market force. MS cannot force people to want 4k, which is still a small part of the market, it will have the same issues Pro does.

You're repeating the argument I replied to. Show me the free iPhone plan. NEW iPhones aren't a necessity.

You're repeating the argument I replied to. Show me the free iPhone plan. NEW iPhones aren't a necessity.

You know people get phones via contracts right? Then when a new one comes out they can easily upgrade for far cheaper then the full price? Almost everyone has a phone and they are seen as a necessity, so people are willing to invest, consoles do not have near the same pull. Comparing phones to consoles is laughable at best. My Galaxt S7 cost 0 Dollars, it will be paid off when my contract is up.

Head.spawn

Nah, dude will take like 30-45 mins to talk about the design philosophies and how the curves and edges make him awe. Panos is great, but he likes to take his time and talk about the product he is discussing lol.

Anyway, grats to Sony and MS on a great month. Balls in Nintendo's court now...
:3

That's just foreplay bb.

BibiMaghoo

Generally, where I live, people get free upgrades to the new phones, or pay a small one time fee and continue their contracts. It is how companies get customers to stay, by essentially giving the new phone away for free and bill you the same as they have for the next 18 months.

I know things. Whether you believe me or not is up to you. I think Microsoft currently wants to target 8TF and $400 USD. I'm not sure they can achieve it, but I think that's their current goal. Hence the 60% certainty.

So can you atleast share that to a moderator so we can verify your credentials because the amount of bullshit that have come out of you makes it really hard to belive anything you say.

Welfare

Not to mention the bad blood it will cause with consumers who bought an XB1 for it's generation to end so soon.

Xbox (November 2001 - 2005) 4 years: 24M
Xbox 360 (November 2005 - May 2009) less than 4 years: 30M http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23796

Microsoft could launch a "new gen" this year and get away with it if they distance themselves from the One brand. Won't happen until 2020 or so but they could do it with success.

Show me. Link me where I can get the new iPhone without paying a few hundred up front.

Paying a few hundred for a phone is night and day comparing them to consoles , phones are a necessity in todays world, not hard to understand.

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/$0-Down-iPhone-Deals

SOR5

I know things. Whether you believe me or not is up to you. I think Microsoft currently wants to target 8TF and $400 USD. I'm not sure they can achieve it, but I think that's their current goal. Hence the 60% certainty.

Earlier today you were saying PD was still in development, now you're saying they are going for 8TF at $400

What is it you know? Do you have any solid evidence? Otherwise the stuff you're saying lacks any real validity

Trup1aya

I'm actually surprised that Sony won two months Pro sold better than i thought actually.

I'm not surprised xb1S and ogPS4/slim did so well. Price will always win the holidays, and the price concious are the ones buying consoles at this point.

Xbox 360 (November 2005 - May 2009) less than 4 years: 30M http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23796

Microsoft could launch a "new gen" this year and get away with it if they distance themselves from the One brand. Won't happen until 2020 or so but they could do it with success.

They could distance there self from Xone brand but it won't be like the 360.
It has all the same games and they hardly look better than Pro .
Plus 3rd party won't be dropping PS4 or XB1 anytime soon .

Elandyll

Banned

Considering this machine will most likely use an AMD chip 6TF is doable considering the RX 480 is 5.5 TF retails $199.99

The Scorpio is coming a full year after the PRO one year changes everything when it comes to tech. At $399 I expect 6 TF with not having a substantial subsidy yet if they go at a higher pricepoint I suspect 8 TF at $499 is not impossible.
If we were just talking about a 6TF Gpu and an upclocked CPU with modest improvements, I'd agree.
We're not.
We'll have more details soon enough I imagine, but I don't think that Spencer mentionned a 'premium' console so many times for nothing.

No they can't, publishers need to be on board, you cannot use the switch to the HD era generation when that gen was already 6 years as ps2 launched 2 years before. The industry wanted to push into the HD era. It is a different time now. Keep in mind sony was supposed to launch close to 360 but got delayed. That would just damage xbox more, as pubs would still focus on PS4's install base, and the gap between pro and Scorpio would not be that much for it to be a new gen.

If we were just talking about a 6TF Gpu and an upclocked CPU with modest improvements, I'd agree.
We're not.
We'll have more details soon enough I imagine, but I don't think that Spencer mentionned a 'premium' console so many times for nothing.

By holiday 2017 XB1S could like be $199 with deal which make $399 already sounds premium.

Not surprised at how low the pro is selling. IMO it's not worth it (i own a pro). Some games even run worse on pro like Skyrim, FFXV, TLOU etc. What is worth it is a 4k TV IMO. I probably would have still be gaming on my 1080p TV if I didn't have a pro. But because of pro i bought a 4k TV and it's one of the best purchases I have made IMO.

You didn't get the memo? We're all insiders now.
In the immortal words of Stump:
ddn1CkX.gif

wvkp68g.gif

bLiLC7h.gif

bkvFMzt.gif

ZWqksIz.gif

Not surprised at how low the pro is selling. IMO it's not worth it (i own a pro). Some games even run worse on pro like Skyrim, FFXV, TLOU etc. What is worth it is a 4k TV IMO. I probably would have still be gaming on my 1080p TV if I didn't have a pro. But because of pro i bought a 4k TV and it's one of the best purchases I have made IMO.

I'm in the same boat. Love my 4k. Like my Pro too though.

Forman European standpoint, this is my 4th iPhone and I haven't paid a penny upfront ever. Same monthly price every month for phone and all the data.

Paying a few hundred for a phone is night and day comparing them to consoles , phones are a necessity in todays world, not hard to understand.

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/$0-Down-iPhone-Deals

Germany doing it sensibly though monthly that's still a good chunk of change. In that same vein I'm sure a lot of folks put their bigger electronics on credit and pay it off over time. If people can afford high end video cards they can afford consoles.

DocSeuss

It's like folks aren't aware I work in the industry or something.

It still costs more, what you are suggesting is fan fiction wishes. You cannot get whatever you want and slap a price on it you wish, that is not how any of this works.

Again, I have a very low certainty. I said this up front. It's not unreasonable to expect that a console releasing in 2018 can hit these targets easily.

It's possible they scrap the mid-gen upgrade and make the Scorpio the XB2.

The problem would be that MS's next gen will look very similar to last gen's PS4 Pro.

By the time the PS5 will come out it won't be in the same ballpark.

So, speaking analytically, I don't think Microsoft wants to repeat the Pro. I think Microsoft wants to differentiate the Scorpio from the Xbox One. They've said as much, if I'm not mistaken. So they're already trying to make this like it's a next-gen box. Whether a few folks on the internet are burned about it isn't really a big deal. The average guy on the street, which is the audience that buys consoles, isn't really gonna care about it that much. They're gonna go "wow, a new xbox? and I need it for Madden? cool." This isn't a mid-gen refresh. Microsoft has NEVER positioned it as a mid-gen refresh. That stuff comes mostly from armchair forum posters who don't know anything.

Bad blood isn't gonna be a big deal to most consumers. This generation is going to be short.

Remember, most generations are pretty short. Four years isn't unreasonable at all. Microsoft already did that with the original Xbox, remember? 2001 to 2005? And their next console is still the best-selling HD console of all time, at 84 million units sold. A four year gen isn't a problem at all. And, if the rumors are correct and this puppy gets pushed to 2018, it's a five year gen, which is completely normal. An 8 year cycle is weird.

Basically, Microsoft's always contextualized this as a next-gen. I don't know why anyone would see it as anything else. That's what Microsoft appears to want this to be.

So can you atleast share that to a moderator so we can verify your credentials because the amount of bullshit that have come out of you makes it really hard to belive anything you say.

Sure, as long as I'm not asked to violate any NDAs.

Earlier today you were saying PD was still in development, now you're saying they are going for 8TF at $400

What is it you know? Do you have any solid evidence? Otherwise the stuff you're saying lacks any real validity

What I said was the last official word from MS was that PD was in development. I personally do not know whether that's true or not. I have heard some rumblings that it is. Ya'll then blew that up into "Doc trying to argue that this game is still in devleopment." It's like, no, I've just heard some things. I even said I couldn't speak to their veracity.

Wasn't it announced over a year ago that the Phantom Dust remake was fully cancelled and now it's a remaster of the first game akin to Voodoo Vince,

I'm in the same boat. Love my 4k. Like my Pro too though.

Germany doing it sensibly though monthly that's still a good chunk of change. In that same vein I'm sure a lot of folks put their bigger electronics on credit and pay it off over time. If people can afford high end video cards they can afford consoles.

Look at them goal posts move, people can afford lots of things, that's irrelevant. There are market forces at play,

Welfare

Thought this would be interesting. XB1 + XB1S (XB1) vs PS4 + PS4 slim (PS4)

September
XB1: 332,800
PS4: 285,300

Gap: 47,500

October
XB1: 329,000
PS4: 235,100

Gap: 93,900

December
XB1: 1,511,000
PS4: 1,330,000

Gap: 181,000

Pro has helped PS4 stay ahead of XB1 this holiday but with the massive drop that is seen in January it will be interesting to see which console(s) hold better.

Top Bottom