• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

yes. MS won't give up, this time next year they need to be moving in the right direction. WP8 should help by not being so restrictive

Wouldn't you say they've been making fairly solid moves in the right direction since launch? Mango, by nearly all accounts brought a substantial set of features that brought them if not equal with the market leaders, they are certainly in spitting distance, feature for feature. What big feature is the platform missing now? By restrictive, do you mean in opening up user options for UI customization?

The last few things they're missing in my mind, is mind share and in turn app selection. Otherwise, seems like a matter of time before they carve themselves a nice spot in third next year, and keep the market leaders pushing ahead.

Didnt even know there was a USA Today app, I just found the Pizza Hut offical App the other day.

Weave / Newsroom / MSN / Engadget give me pretty much what I need.

Husker86

i hate this trend of every single website needing an app.

With a unique UI like Metro I would think it would be preferable for websites to make an app that sticks with the theme. I can agree with you when they don't change format at all, but big companies usually do. It seems they put decent effort into fitting WP7 as well, though I can only go off of screenshots as I've never used one in person.

clav

I don't really care about the quantity of apps but rather the quality. The only apps I use regularly are the Web Browser, Email and Zune Music.

If Google Chrome for Android project transitions well for ARM devices, I can see users like you switching over.

Everyone knows IE is Microsoft's biggest weakness on any platform.

Owen

My quick take on a NeoGAF app. Did this in about 15 minutes so it doesn't strictly adhere to the Metro guidelines, but you get the idea.

iErX7GcXvF4ZP.png

Touch and hold on a topic to bring up options: Jump to last page, Subscribe, Pin to Start Screen

I don't know anything about the technical feasibility of doing a native NeoGAF Windows Phone app, but I would be happy to lead UX if someone else wants to develop.

MrBig

My old LG Decoy is reaching the end of its life and I'm really interested in getting a WP7 device. I already have an android tablet and I don't want android on a phone, but I also have a Zune HD that has been relegated to car stereo duty because the only thing it can really do is play music and I use my tablet for that now. That also means I'm already invested in the Zune software though so no qualms with syncing with WP7.

It looks like the HTC trophy is the only WP7 device on verizon, and its only $30. I'm looking at reviews now, but does anyone have anything to say about it? And does the pricetag indicate that there is some new line of devices coming soon?

Not really on-topic, but I also have the upgrade credits from my old phone. Is that applicable in any way?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It looks like the HTC trophy is the only WP7 device on verizon, and its only $30. I'm looking at reviews now, but does anyone have anything to say about it? And does the pricetag indicate that there is some new line of devices coming soon?

There are new phones coming to Verizon later this year, but aside from the Lumia 710, we don't know which ones or when. So you have two options if you want to get a WP7 device:

1. Go with the Trophy (a fine phone that also happens to be almost a year old, which is why its budget priced)

2. Wait until MWC at the end of the month to see if any Verizon announcements are made, then decide if you want to wait or get the Trophy

Performance won't be a problem with the Trophy, all WP7 devices run the OS perfectly fine. But there are already second gen devices out (slightly better CPU's, much better GPU's, front facing cameras, etc.) and the third gen ones are due by the end of the year, although Verizon has been content to mostly ignore Windows Phone so its hard for any of us to give you guidance on whether to wait or not.

Commodore

So I tried the new Carbon twitter app that finally made its way on Marketplace. Strictly in terms of metro design, one of the best I've seen.

Full images in timeline, you can choose between refreshing your timeline to where you left off or starting from the latest tweet. Read it Later support, plus Twitlonger, which edges out mehdoh in feature support. It's missing toast notifications, but those are apparently coming.

Between mehdoh and Carbon now as the best options as the best third party twitter app. Close call right now, but if you're looking for a good alternative, both are great. Going to keep an eye out for further development.

No trial for Carbon, sucks, so it's $1.99 to give it shot. Edit: it's on version 1.1, apparently 1.2 has a trial.

clav

I thought Verizon was only interested in phones with LTE now.

As for Sprint, the VP thinks people hate WP7 despite HTC Arrive's high ratings from customer reviews.

MrBig

Anyone who has owned both an Android device and a WP7 device car to detail you thoughts?
I have an android tablet so that satiates my needs for all the tinkering work I could ever want to put time into. So how is the comparative experience? I don't care to be customizing the UI, since it doesn't need it as Android does, but what about the quality of apps the amount of money you will have to spend to get any decent kind of collection?

The prices of things in the Marketplace seem exorbitantly high compared to Android, where I have amassed a collection of really solid apps (50+) spending less than $40 ($30 of which went to PS touch, Ideas, DSLR Controller, and Autodesk Sketchbook alone). It really doesn't seem like that rich of an experience. I have not been able to use a WP7 device though so I'm not sure. I'm looking for something that I can be productive with (any apps comparable to the ones I listed above?), not just have a toy-like experience you get with iOS.

Anyone who has owned both an Android device and a WP7 device car to detail you thoughts?
I have an android tablet so that satiates my needs for all the tinkering work I could ever want to put time into. So how is the comparative experience? I don't care to be customizing the UI, since it doesn't need it as Android does, but what about the quality of apps the amount of money you will have to spend to get any decent kind of collection?

The prices of things in the Marketplace seem exorbitantly high compared to Android, where I have amassed a collection of really solid apps (50+) spending less than $40 ($30 of which went to PS touch, Ideas, DSLR Controller, and Autodesk Sketchbook alone). It really doesn't seem like that rich of an experience. I have not been able to use a WP7 device though so I'm not sure. I'm looking for something that I can be productive with (any apps comparable to the ones I listed above?), not just have a toy-like experience you get with iOS.

It seems like a bad idea to jump ship from an ecosystem you're invested pretty heavily in, especially if you're happy with the platform you're on.

MrBig

It seems like a bad idea to jump ship from an ecosystem you're invested pretty heavily in, especially if you're happy with the platform you're on.

I'm not at all happy with or invested in Android. That's why I'm looking to WP7. The openness of Android is great but just about everything else is mediocre. From what I can tell about WP7 it's exactly the other way around.
What I'm looking for is something that can help me with productivity. If I can't find it in WP7 I'm going to be sticking with some feature phone.

I'm not at all happy with or invested in Android. That's why I'm looking to WP7. The openness of Android is great but just about everything else is mediocre. From what I can tell about WP7 it's exactly the other way around.
What I'm looking for is something that can help me with productivity. If I can't find it in WP7 I'm going to be sticking with some feature phone.

I highly recommend WP7 to anyone, but given that you are on Verizon, it's pretty hard to tell you to go buy the Trophy when the second gen phones are so much better. I assume that Verizon will get an LTE phone in the summer or fall.

MrBig

What type of "productivity"?

I'm not sure. What does WP7 have to offer? I'm an art student and on my Android tablet (Lenovo Thinkpad, which has a stylus, and that is the reason I got that) I have apps that let me draw, paint, sketch, take notes, do remote shooting with my DSLR, control my HTPC, create and edit office documents, and quite a few more things. I'm not necessarily looking for those things to be replicated or available, since they are available to me on my tablet. I just want a range of functions that are viable beyond the average casual app experience.

I highly recommend WP7 to anyone, but given that you are on Verizon, it's pretty hard to tell you to go buy the Trophy when the second gen phones are so much better. I assume that Verizon will get an LTE phone in the summer or fall.

I'm fine with waiting. I don't need a new phone immediately, it's just spending a huge amount of money up front on a phone I want to avoid, since I'll most likely have to be upgrading components or replacing my computer next spring or so.

Toy like apps? Not sure what you mean.

I said nothing about quality of, but of the nature of iOS apps. It's completely ruled out in my book and I refuse to discuss it as I have had enough hands-on experience with it to know it's absolutely not not for me.

giga

Toy like apps? Not sure what you mean.

I said nothing about quality of, but of the nature of iOS apps. It's completely ruled out in my book and I refuse to discuss it as I have had enough hands-on experience with it to know it's absolutely not not for me.
I doubt you'd like WP7 if you feel that way about iOS.

giga

I'm not sure. What does WP7 have to offer? I'm an art student and on my Android tablet (Lenovo Thinkpad, which has a stylus, and that is the reason I got that) I have apps that let me draw, paint, sketch, take notes, do remote shooting with my DSLR, control my HTPC, create and edit office documents, and quite a few more things. I'm not necessarily looking for those things to be replicated or available, since they are available to me on my tablet. I just want a range of functions that are viable beyond the average casual app experience.

I'm fine with waiting. I don't need a new phone immediately, it's just spending a huge amount of money up front on a phone I want to avoid, since I'll most likely have to be upgrading components or replacing my computer next spring or so.

Thats very ambiguous. What if wp7 apps have this same "nature"? It'd be helpful so we can rule out the platform or not.

Then I'd recommend waiting until the summer/fall when hopefully Verizon gets a new device or two. I'm sure they'll want Nokia's Lumia 900 when AT&T's timed exclusivity runs out.

Blackhead

Redarse
So what's the deal with those '.' in the Carbon for WP interface? Is it as annoying during regular usage as I imagine it would be?

Wait for WP8

Firestorm

Honestly, as much as I love Metro for menus and interfaces where you're performing tasks, I really am not a fan of it for consuming content like on a web forum. Would rather have a more traditional layout for mobile GAF.

gcubed

Wouldn't you say they've been making fairly solid moves in the right direction since launch? Mango, by nearly all accounts brought a substantial set of features that brought them if not equal with the market leaders, they are certainly in spitting distance, feature for feature. What big feature is the platform missing now? By restrictive, do you mean in opening up user options for UI customization?

The last few things they're missing in my mind, is mind share and in turn app selection. Otherwise, seems like a matter of time before they carve themselves a nice spot in third next year, and keep the market leaders pushing ahead.

I know I'm late to answer this, I meant solely from a market share and consumer focus perspective. I think a big test is going to be how the 900/910 does in the US.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the nokia W7 phones are the first thing that's tempting me away from an iphone

i think i'll wait for the iphone 5 and then reassess the situation

the lumia 900 is so niiice

Not surprising. They had more employees than Microsoft (over 100k).

They went from a company which developed all their software in-house to a company which licenses software from another company. Deep job cuts were inevitable, there were literally thousands of people just working on Symbian and MeeGo for instance.

They went from a company which developed all their software in-house to a company which licenses software from another company. Deep job cuts were inevitable, there were literally thousands of people just working on Symbian and MeeGo for instance.
Their R&D budget for Symbian was as big or bigger than Apple's entire R&D budget.

Troll

Banned
Their R&D budget for Symbian was as big or bigger than Apple's entire R&D budget.

Nokia-RD.jpg

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/02/03/nokias-rd-budget-waaaaay-bigger-than-competition/
Intomobile said:
Some research by Bernstein has revealed that Nokia has spent upwards of $3.9 billion on research and development, which is close to three times as much as the average spent by competing mobile manufacturers. Okay, sure, Nokia is still the biggest in the world (for the time being), so it’s not entirely surprising. Samsung was next in line, spending in the neighbourhood of $3 billion, followed by BlackBerry-maker Research In Motion at around $1.7 billion, Motorola and Sony Ericsson at around $1 billion, and Apple and HTC taking up the last two slots.

A lot of Nokia’s money is still going into the recently-reabsorbed Symbian (1.1 billion euros, between the kernel and user experience), with about a quarter of that amount going into their next-generation MeeGo and Qt platform. For as much as Nokia spends on their devices and services, they spend almost as much (2 billion euros) on their infrastructure partnership with Siemens.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
All that R&D and they couldn't come up with competitive OS and ecosystem.

I hope they transition the majority of those resources to software and services for Windows Phone. The pressure to evolve and maintain the OS and ecosystem is now on Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom