• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaggedSac

What are the odds that carriers would hold back a major update like Tango from phones? Seems they did fairly well with Mango. Much better than NoDo. They might not find the time required to test the smaller updates worth the trouble with WP having such small marketshare. Perhaps as(if) the share gets bigger, the smaller update process will becoming more important.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I find it amusing that Nokia would show Bug Village in the promo video for the 610. Its a super resource intensive game, and my Focus S can barely handle it. Half the time I have to back-button close other apps so I can run it without a big black screen over the entire play area, which is obviously a RAM issue. And the 610 has less RAM. No way does Bug Village rum smooth on that phone.

venne

My wife loves to use her phone to take pictures. Looking at the sample images from Nokia's webpage leads me to believe that a PureView phone is in her future.

Hopefully they have a model ready for this holiday.

PG2G

I think brotkasten is screwing with you guys.

From WinSuperSite

Curiously, Microsoft has no official presence at the show, and will not be providing a press conference as they have in previous years. That said, it appears that large numbers of people from the firm's Windows and Windows Phone teams are in attendance

PG2G

Hrm, I guess we'll see. They need to detail the changes in Tango at some point. It'd be silly not to do it right now.

Though, I don't really care about Tango right now. I'm more interested in Windows 8 :p

JaggedSac

They are calling it an event, so it is probably not going to involve a speaker. Probably just a room with a bunch of Windows Phone stuff.

Doffen

My wife loves to use her phone to take pictures. Looking at the sample images from Nokia's webpage leads me to believe that a PureView phone is in her future.

Hopefully they have a model ready for this holiday.

Microsoft would be stupid to not allow Nokia to introduce PureView for the next version of Windows Phone.

Microsoft would be stupid to not allow Nokia to introduce PureView for the next version of Windows Phone.

Nokia has confirmed that it will be bringing its Pureview technology to its Windows phone devices in the near future.

The Pureview technology was unveiled on the 41MP-toting Nokia 808 Pureview at MWC 2012, and almost immediately the Finnish firm confirmed it was looking to putting the advanced cameraphone technology on its future devices.

Considering the 808 was launched as 'confirming our significant short term investments in Symbian' by Jo Harlow, executive VP of smart devices for Nokia, it's pretty clear Windows Phone is getting the Pureview technology in the near future.

Troll

Banned
So, I know that I am going to get my next WP with Pure Optics. That is such a killer feature, those pics look absolutely incredible. Thinking back to when the iPhone 4s was announced and they talked up those optics, it made me lol.

This is a good thread, I like the posters that regularly contribute. If you guys see someone Trolling.... just ignore them, please. We have a good community here we shouldn't let a couple people fuck it up.

So, I know that I am going to get my next WP with Pure Optics. That is such a killer feature, those pics look absolutely incredible. Thinking back to when the iPhone 4s was announced and they talked up those optics, it made me lol.

This is a good thread, I like the posters that regularly contribute. If you guys see someone Trolling.... just ignore them, please. We have a good community here we shouldn't let a couple people fuck it up.

OMG

Kikarian

I've swapped from WP7 to Iphone (Don't want a war :p)

All in all, it was a great phone. With so much potential, I can't wait to see what it has to offer in the future. With the way it is going, It will be an absolutely great phone! I just think they lacked something, for me the apps. I know it's still quite a new phone, but I expected their to be more useful apps. They're just 'kiddy' kind off apps in the Marketplace.

I do miss the WPCentral app though! :(

Troll

Banned
I've swapped from WP7 to Iphone (Don't want a war :p)

All in all, it was a great phone. With so much potential, I can't wait to see what it has to offer in the future. With the way it is going, It will be an absolutely great phone! I just think they lacked something, for me the apps. I know it's still quite a new phone, but I expected their to be more useful apps. They're just 'kiddy' kind off apps in the Marketplace.

I do miss the WPCentral app though! :(

From my experience the App selection is what is holding most of the people I know from committing to it.

Kikarian

From my experience the App selection is what is holding most of the people I know from committing to it.
Well considering you can make apps in a more easy language (VB), I expected a wide range of great apps. But they are either scams, hacks or pointless. Like the Xbox Live App, is on Iphone? Why don't they just keep it only for WP7? They have made a few errors, which is slowly costing them.

Troll

Banned
Well considering you can make apps in a more easy language (VB), I expected a wide range of great apps. But they are either scams, hacks or pointless. Like the Xbox Live App, is on Iphone? Why don't they just keep it only for WP7? They have made a few errors, which is slowly costing them.

They found it benefits the Xbox brand more to have it on multiple platforms. I know, it was one of their key exclusives that they kept hammering us with, but they seemed to think WP exclusivity for the app wasn't really helping anything.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I can't think of any apps that would make me switch platforms. I'm fine with the selection on wp7.

That said, I definitely understand that app selection can both prevent people from entering the platform, or as the case above shows, drive them away.

Also, if I was a serious mobile gamer, I'd get a vita and DS. Then I'd get an iPhone. Otherwise, the basics have filled in quite nicely in the year and a half the platform's been out, even more impressive considering the weak sales.

Kikarian

I can't think of any apps that would make me switch platforms. I'm fine with the selection on wp7.

That said, I definitely understand that app selection can both prevent people from entering the platform, or as the case above shows, drive them away.

Also, if I was a serious mobile gamer, I'd get a vita and DS. Then I'd get an iPhone. Otherwise, the basics have filled in quite nicely in the year and a half the platform's been out, even more impressive considering the weak sales.
It wasn't the apps initially that drove me away. I think it was boredom. The people hub, was kind of annoyning me. With all my facebook friends and twitter. Not knowing who was on what social media platform. I know you can have it to show only facebook/twitter, but I didn't want to change it everytime.

Doffen

They found it benefits the Xbox brand more to have it on multiple platforms. I know, it was one of their key exclusives that they kept hammering us with, but they seemed to think WP exclusivity for the app wasn't really helping anything.

That is because Microsoft hasn’t pushed the gaming focus on Windows Phone 7. Hell, Nokia did a better job on getting EA on board with Windows Phone then Microsoft did.

Microsoft should also introduce a bunch of 1. Party games and start releasing Xbox Live enabled titles two times a week and for a cheaper price point. 4.99$ is too much for a mobile game.

And they need to change the rules for Xbox Live so that it works better with the app marked. Mobile phone games needs to get updated frequently and the updates should not cost the developers.

Troll

Banned
That is because Microsoft hasn’t pushed the gaming focus on Windows Phone 7. Hell, Nokia did a better job on getting EA on board with Windows Phone then Microsoft did.

Microsoft should also introduce a bunch of 1. Party games and start releasing Xbox Live enabled titles two times a week and for a cheaper price point. 4.99$ is too much for a mobile game.

And they need to change the rules for Xbox Live so that it works better with the app marked. Mobile phone games needs to get updated frequently and the updates should not cost the developers.

You are exactly right. As long as iOS is getting things like the Mass Effect companion app and WP isn't, Microsoft is not doing its job.

JaggedSac

It wasn't the apps initially that drove me away. I think it was boredom. The people hub, was kind of annoyning me. With all my facebook friends and twitter. Not knowing who was on what social media platform. I know you can have it to show only facebook/twitter, but I didn't want to change it everytime.

They have their own app like the other platforms too. But it does tell you on which platform it was posted on in the people hub regardless.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I absolutely don't understand this complaint. The posts tell you the source at the bottom, or you can filter whichever you want (and it remembers), or you can use the apps separately like on ios.

So I normally use my Titan for two full days before charging it. I charged it last night, and today my phone has been unplugged from the charger for 4 hours and I only have 25% batter life left. Um what?

Only thing I did was install the new Skype app this morning, but I haven't even launched the app yet.

cevansdust

Neo Member
So I bought the Htc trophy for Verizon off of Ebay this past summer. It's a great phone and I LOVE the ui. However, since the mango update I've had lots of problems with crashing. The phone constantly crashes in apps and also restarts sometimes. I took it to a microsoft store and they said it was probably something to do with the hardware.

HTC has been no help to fixing the problem, the Microsoft store couldn't help me because I didn't buy the phone from them, and I am very reluctant to contact Verizon as they were douches when I had my android and experienced problems.

Any words of advice or similar problems. Oh and boo Verizon. For being a leading carrier they sure suck and adopting upcoming windows phones.

Kikarian

I absolutely don't understand this complaint. The posts tell you the source at the bottom, or you can filter whichever you want (and it remembers), or you can use the apps separately like on ios.

They have their own app like the other platforms too. But it does tell you on which platform it was posted on in the people hub regardless.
Oh, well this was my fault then. Well, WP7 Will be a great phone in the future. Just needs a little work on a few things.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Any words of advice or similar problems. Oh and boo Verizon. For being a leading carrier they sure suck and adopting upcoming windows phones.
as with anything WP related, all signs point to the second half of 2012 when we will see new Verizon phones.

cevansdust

Neo Member
as with anything WP related, all signs point to the second half of 2012 when we will see new Verizon phones.

Lol, yeah I agree. Once windows 8 is out and somewhat standard and the new xbox is kicking it will be very interesting to look at the phone platform. I really think it will be something to behold. Just have to make it to that point.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Lol, yeah I agree. Once windows 8 is out and somewhat standard and the new xbox is kicking it will be very interesting to look at the phone platform. I really think it will be something to behold. Just have to make it to that point.

The only part I'm really worried about. Hopefully Tango helps close the adoption numbers gap until then. I'm just worried with all of the new ICS Android Phones and probably another iPhone this Summer that it's another product cycle where MS is last to the point hitting this fall with Windows 8 Apollo stuff. It's a hard enough sell now with the iPhone 4S and all the HTC and Samsung Android phones let alone against an iPhone 5 and all the next gen HTC and Samsung Android phones while WP is still stuck on WP7.5.

Fjolle

The only part I'm really worried about. Hopefully Tango helps close the adoption numbers gap until then. I'm just worried with all of the new ICS Android Phones and probably another iPhone this Summer that it's another product cycle where MS is last to the point hitting this fall with Windows 8 Apollo stuff. It's a hard enough sell now with the iPhone 4S and all the HTC and Samsung Android phones let alone against an iPhone 5 and all the next gen HTC and Samsung Android phones while WP is still stuck on WP7.5.

I guess that we will see something in march/april, and then Apollo in October.

But there's no way that the iPhone 5 will appear before that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty excited about the Lumia 900 coming to Rogers in April. I will most likely by getting it unless a) it feels to big in my hands and b)my wife says no, :lol

I spoke to Rogers and it would cost me around $350 to upgrade early.

Edit: Also, I don't mind the look of the 610.

Troll

Banned
Pretty excited about the Lumia 900 coming to Rogers in April. I will most likely by getting it unless a) it feels to big in my hands and b)my wife says no, :lol

I spoke to Rogers and it would cost me around $350 to upgrade early.

I think we should wait for Apollo devices.

How did your interview go?

JaggedSac

Nokia 900 is a pretty slick looking phone and pretty much MS's only hope in the US. Don't think the Titan 2 is going to be pulling anyone over, although the 16mp camera is a nice bullet point even though I don't see it as being a particularly good point. So overall, marketshare is going to remain abysmal for the rest of the year in the US. Overseas Nokia will help big time, I would think the new low end stuff will help gather marketshare. Blogs and such have warmed immensely to the platform, so maybe that will help gather consumer mind share, but I doubt it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I think we should wait for Apollo devices.

How did your interview go?

I don't know if I can wait.....I'm confident that 900 will run Apollo and can do what I need it to do.

I think the interview went very well. Thanks for asking! Hopefully I will find out this week.

hwalker84

Nokia 900 is a pretty slick looking phone and pretty much MS's only hope in the US. Don't think the Titan 2 is going to be pulling anyone over, although the 16mp camera is a nice bullet point even though I don't see it as being a particularly good point. So overall, marketshare is going to remain abysmal for the rest of the year in the US. Overseas Nokia will help big time, I would think the new low end stuff will help gather marketshare. Blogs and such have warmed immensely to the platform, so maybe that will help gather consumer mind share, but I doubt it.

I was typing something very similar before I had to step away from my office.

Besides the wow factor and Nokia apps. I may just hold on to my Titan until WP8 instead of selling it and getting a 900. I don't have LTE in Pittsburgh and ATT doesn't have a roadmap to even know when it's coming to my city. I'd probably be more inclined if we had a Backup and restore process. I'd hate to loss all my stuff twice this year.

Commodore

Few thoughts after digesting the news today:

I think the most compelling piece of info that translates into a biggest boon for the platform is the 610/tango and opening up to 23 new markets, adding a 60% increase in potential users. While it's a little irrelevant to me, business wise, I think its a savvy move. They will be able to increase marketshare on the low end, and gain mind share for the high end. Plus, that 95% of all apps will still be able to run on a tango device is pretty impressive. I think they've handled fragmentation really well so far. Having that middle ground between one device ala Apple, and opening up the flood gates for specs ala Android makes for more consistent experience. It also has some fallout still though, carriers holding back smaller readied updates to fling out a larger update still blows. They've got to hammer out the wrinkles there and make it possible for people to get updates if they want them earlier. What'll be interesting is seeing how big Apollo's line in the sand ends up being when the platform is split into high end and low end. I'm starting to be more and more resolute in waiting for an Apollo Nokia PureView phone, waiting it out with my Focus. I'm becoming more interested in seeing what Nokia does building a Windows Phone from square one instead of retrofitting a current design to fit 7.5 specs.

Speaking of PureView, I doubt we see that tech in anything until later next year, but damn. Its rare the platform has anything to crow about in spec wars, so its nice to see the promise of some high end tech coming and cause some gadget lust from the general techsphere.

Nokia Drive sounds like a definite step up from Bing Maps, not sure if I've heard or not officially, but I hope they are integrating Nokia's into either Bing Maps or we get to use it instead.

Verizon. If they aren't announcing it now, when? Pretty shameful if they can't manage to get at least one phone at big red by the end of the year that is LTE enabled since that is the prerequisite. Seems AT&T has an exclusive? Is that the rumor? Either way, it's a big big hole for the platform till they get competitive phones on all the carriers.

Finally, very interested in seeing Nokia's "rolling thunder" ad campaign here in the US now that we're within spitting distance to the 900 being available here. From what I've seen so far, Nokia seems to get marketing, its stylish, shows functions well, and is thematically in sync with the OS. MS...they still can't pull it together. I actually like the Smoked by Windows campaign, the idea behind it really works in showing how the OS manages to differentiate itself as well as showing why it matters. But Smoked it just an online ad campaign, wish they'd put it on TV or really spread it out in retail because they don't have near the prevalent reach in retail compared to say, Apple. Needs to be in various non MS stores across the US/World if possible.

Edit: oh yah, nice to see SKYPE show up finally, a little late and not quite ready, but better late than never.

giga

Holy shit, there's no background multitasking for the Skype app. I forgot that mango doesn't have a background voip agent. If you go to any other app, it ends the call, smh. You can't even receive messages when in the background--how have they not implemented push notifications yet? Terrible.

G9yHP.png

0uRwi.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom