• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Anyone know if I need to install Zune to get my Windows Phone to sync with the consumer preview of Windows 8?
no idea, i assume you would for now because i bet windows phone would need to be updated as well. And all the media apps are very early.

I'm ultra happy with my Windows Phone, but I am so meh at the moment about the future. I figure if I just ignore everything until Apollo then I will be okay.

I have an upgrade coming in June and I'm on T-Mobile... we will see what happens then I suppose.

Owen

That's some mindblowingly disingenuous stuff from Mr. Myerson.

I dunno, it seems more noncommittal than anything.

Sounds like they want to make sure that Windows Phone 8 will be a consistently fluid experience, so older hardware that can't run it may not be allowed to officially upgrade.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I thought 2nd gen devices got a GPU bump, is that not true? Also, some 2nd gen phones got a 20-40% CPU clock speed bump as well, they're not all identical to 1st gen phones. I'm not worried about getting Apollo. I know I'll get a subset of it and I'm fine with that.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Most carrier friendly OS ever.

Either that or moving to the new kernel and stuff just is taking a little more hardware than currently feasible. Yet hardly something that'll matter in years to come. Early adopters get fucked though, and this platform needs all the good will it can get. Plus it fucks over basically anyone who decides to get a Nokia phone seeing as they aren't that old if nobody on WP7 can update to WP8.

Corporate VP needs to be fired.

This is not how you generate good PR.

I don't disagree, but he might be fucked if the engineers tell him WP7 won't be getting an update.

Vanillalite

I thought 2nd gen devices got a GPU bump, is that not true? Also, some 2nd gen phones got a 20-40% CPU clock speed bump as well, they're not all identical to 1st gen phones. I'm not worried about getting Apollo. I know I'll get a subset of it and I'm fine with that.

Honestly none of that should REALLY matter as the main spec IE RAM has been consistent through out. I understand if some Tango 256 meg phones get left out, but I see no reason all of the 512 RAM phones shouldn't be treated as equal. The clock speed and stuff shouldn't really be the deciding factor in terms of it things can run here at all.

Owen

Early adopters get fucked though, and this platform needs all the good will it can get. Plus it fucks over basically anyone who decides to get a Nokia phone seeing as they aren't that old if nobody on WP7 can update to WP8.

Completely agree.

I'm glad I was able to snag a used HD7 from eBay for a great price so I could play with the platform while waiting for the next big evolution.

clav

That wouldn't make much sense if WP7 handsets can't be upgraded.

What is Apollo supposed to mean then if that's just going to EOL once WP8 is released?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the only reason why they wouldn't be upgrading them would be because of the carriers. Technically i think it should be fine.

Having purchased the Titan in November, I'd pretty pretty goddamn upset if we can't upgrade this fall.

Also, I'm beginning to think I should just force update to 8107, as it seems clear that AT&T will not be pushing the update.

Commodore

I suppose there had to realistically be a cut off at some point between generations of phones as the market keeps expanding and progressing. Its one thing to want them to take a big leap to keep up with the mobile jones', its another thing to expect those same advanced features to appear on dated hardware.

The question is, where's the cutoff point? Till we really know officially, I'm reserving judgement. But it does seem like another reason to wait to pick up new phones till Apollo instead of updating early. Maybe I'll snag a Lumia 900 eventually on the off market when they hit around $300 or so, but until I know how updates are going to roll out, it's me and my Focus.

Nero3000

So something interesting happened this morning.

I woke up and some of my contacts now had Facebook profiles. I had assumed that they had blocked 3rd party applications, but now they all show up.

Milchjon

It's seems pretty on point for the Windows Phone lifestyle.

You really are something...

Anyway, I've almost accepted that my Lumia 800 will end up a bit like my Dreamcast. I wanted it from day one, it's (almost) everything I want it to be, it'll not be as successful as it deserves to be, and I'll remember it fondly for the rest of my days.

eastmen

Banned
I don't get the need to update all the phones to win phone 8 . Not for nothing but my samsung galaxy is a year old and wont be getting ICS . Although with that said , the second gen devices should be getting win phone 8 , esp the phons released this year

Vanillalite

I don't get the need to update all the phones to win phone 8 . Not for nothing but my samsung galaxy is a year old and wont be getting ICS . Although with that said , the second gen devices should be getting win phone 8 , esp the phons released this year

Because MS made a baseline spec, and virtually all the phones have like 90% of the same hardware.

In terms of what actually matters in OS upgrades usually EVERY SINGLE RELEASED PHONE has the EXACT SAME amount of RAM. Every phone has 512 RAM. This is really the only aspect that matters tech wise that would be a block. CPU wise and stuff 2nd gen just have slightly higher clocked versions of what everyone has. It's nothing mind blowingly different though. Every single device is running a single core, and outside of those new Tango phones previewed everyone is running @1ghz at the least. Nobody is running dual core or anything though. Plus everyone is running at the same resolution as well.

The different between a Samsung Focus and a Samsung Focus Flash or the HTC Surround and the HTC Titan in terms of hardcore specs outside of screen size and form factors is really splitting hairs.

PG2G

I guess I could see a situation where OEMs or carriers wouldn't be bothered to update, test, and deploy a major update to old phones. Especially if the Windows 8 core necessitates major rework at the driver level, which im sure it will.

I do expect that 2nd Gen phones will get Windows Phone 8 though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I woke up and some of my contacts now had Facebook profiles. I had assumed that they had blocked 3rd party applications, but now they all show up.

Oh wow this is fantastic. Its like People Hub 2.0, I can finally see my wife's pictures rather than just her text posts.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Facebook integration was blocked? This whole time? Outside the US lameness? Haven't had a problem with the people hub myself.

Depending on your friends' privacy settings, you may not have been able to see their posts, or more commonly for me, you could see their text posts, but not any pictures they posted. It affected you, you just never noticed.

jagowar

Depending on your friends' privacy settings, you may not have been able to see their posts, or more commonly for me, you could see their text posts, but not any pictures they posted. It affected you, you just never noticed.

Has it actually been fixed now? Still not seeing everything on the people hub that is on facebook.... always was annoying.

Commodore

Interesting. Admittedly I never went exploring on too many profiles on my contact list if I had full access but it's nice to see they've finally managed to parallel the same web access you have with your Facebook friends.

Also read this article this morning and the last quote is something else. We officially live in bizzaro world.

http://wmpoweruser.com/privacy-advocate-demands-google-replace-his-android-phone-with-a-windows-one/

AnkitT

Looks to me like some privacy settings changed on Facebook or something. Anyways my Facebook creeping just got easier lol.

kazinova

They use all the Windows Phone sytem sounds as the default tones in Windows 8 for the consumer preview. It's really surreal: "Beedoop" "Did I just get a text message? Nope, that was my laptop."

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Windows team is clueless. They took what they thought was the "look" of wp7 and what they thought the best things were about the OS, but they totally botched the execution. At this beta stage, its a disjointed mess.

Quick example: on wp7, notifications for the Me tile or a group tile work because it offers only the most recent actions. On win8, they go back too far, so I'm seeing a live tile about a comment, only to realize its a way older comment that has since been supplanted by more recent comments. Its like they dont even understand how to properly use live tiles.

They also managed to make multitasking less intuitive and more hidden than even Apple. This is the Windows platform, for crying out loud, multi-tasking should be the easiest thing in the world for them. But that's it, I dont want to go too far off topic, its just that it's obvious that the wp7 team should've been in charge of UI and usability.

kazinova

They also managed to make multitasking less intuitive and more hidden than even Apple. This is the Windows platform, for crying out loud, multi-tasking should be the easiest thing in the world for them.
Respectfully disagree, there are many things they got wrong, the multitasking is one of the few things that I like as far as tablet interfacing will go. If the multitasking was limited to the developer preview I'd be throwing a fit, but the implementation in the consumer preview is really nice and I think it'll get even better by launch.

I think the W8 team took a look of great things from WP7, and keep in mind some of the tiles don't poulate correctly for a while, so don't let initial impressions color you too much.

The Windows team is clueless. They took what they thought was the "look" of wp7 and what they thought the best things were about the OS, but they totally botched the execution. At this beta stage, its a disjointed mess.

Quick example: on wp7, notifications for the Me tile or a group tile work because it offers only the most recent actions. On win8, they go back too far, so I'm seeing a live tile about a comment, only to realize its a way older comment that has since been supplanted by more recent comments. Its like they dont even understand how to properly use live tiles.

They also managed to make multitasking less intuitive and more hidden than even Apple. This is the Windows platform, for crying out loud, multi-tasking should be the easiest thing in the world for them. But that's it, I dont want to go too far off topic, its just that it's obvious that the wp7 team should've been in charge of UI and usability.

And you thought I was trolling and being hyperbolic.

You using a tablet or desktop? Multitasking on a tablet is a breeze.

But yes, they need far more influence from WP7 team.

I'm like Copernicus now, really?

Not at all, copernisuck's entire existence in these threads is to troll people and get them riled up. You are more of a Negative Nancy type who is just posting everything that you don't like while not mentioning anything that's good and making it seem like everything you don't like is the end of the world.

At least that's how it's seemed lately, you are like the hardcore sports fan who constantly complains about how shitty ESPN is while also spending their whole day watching ESPN.

Firestorm

Awesome. No picture was bugging me even though it was for people I don't talk to often XD
In North America, you're on a contract for 2 (USA) or 3 (Canada) years. It's expected that you get updates to your devices for at least 2 of those years and I think that's a perfectly reasonable expectation. People got Windows Phone because they didn't want to be fucked over like Android users.

Buying a Lumia 900 now and not getting updates would be pretty crappy. I don't think that'll be the case but this Focus is pretty damn good so I'll stick with it until we get some Nokia phones with Pureview tech.

I wonder if Nokia will have a deal with Microsoft to be the only OEM that gets Apollo on existing handsets... .. :(

May be they just following market leader practice of 1% model where less than 1% of the hardware have the latest version of the OS.

Anyway, I doubt it. Only thing that stand between your phone and update is shitty carrier. I stop harping on it as long as there are work around for me to get update.

carrier updates are so wrong. why can't MS see that.

Because with the exception of Apple, anybody who tries to tell the carriers what they can and cannot do will find their devices suddenly unapproved for the carrier's network. The carrier owns the infrastructure, they have the manufacturers by the balls and they know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom