• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

AnkitT

Can someone whos on windows 10 on a non lte device check if the "3g only" option is available in the cellular+sim settings?

Paganmoon

Surface Phone (4.7" non-pureview camera)
Surface Phone Pro (5.7" pureview camera)
Surface 3
Surface Pro 3
Surface Mini

It's a pretty simple product line to manage, I'd like my 250k salary now, kthnx.

I don't think they paid 7 billion to not use the Lumia name. I agree with you though, Surface branding on the phone would've been nice.

Shitass on screen buttons are here to stay because we can't have nice things.

geeQBO7.gif

dLMN8R

When I hand someone else my phone to take a picture, they've hit the capacitive buttons by mistake enough that I'm willing to accept on-screen buttons.

BUT THEY'LL TAKE THE CAMERA BUTTON FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS

(especially for a 1020 successor!)

clav

When I hand someone else my phone to take a picture, they've hit the capacitive buttons by mistake enough that I'm willing to accept on-screen buttons.

BUT THEY'LL TAKE THE CAMERA BUTTON FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS

(especially for a 1020 successor!)
Hopefully the flagship still has a dedicated camera button.

I don't understand why the engineers decided to take that feature out.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Two things the 1030 CANNOT afford to lose:

-A bombass camera sensor, at very least on par with the 1020.
-A proper camera button.

MS cannot lose either without half-assing that shit. The lack of capacitive buttons is already shit as it is. Specially since Windows Phone's implementation is so lame.

Hopefully the flagship still has a dedicated camera button.

I don't understand why the engineers decided to take that feature out.

The Samsung Galaxy S6 lacks a proper button, BUT it does feature a main mechanical button that can be used to identify the user (fingerprint reader) and launch the camera with a double click. It's damn fast and convenient.

It makes sense, given the W10 has an option to highlight your buttons in your theme color. I think part of the reason I hate them is that my only experience is via my cheapo 635.

clav

The Samsung Galaxy S6 lacks a proper button, BUT it does feature a main mechanical button that can be used to identify the user (fingerprint reader) and launch the camera with a double click. It's damn fast and convenient.

You can map the home button to take pictures?

Every time I'm asked to take a picture for someone, I'm so annoyed at seeing the capture button on the touch screen because touching it bumps and pushes the camera out of focus.

I actually prefer on screen buttons after testing a 640 running win10. The bar looks really nice with the accent color, and apps gracefully hide or show it when it makes sense, not to mention you can hide/show it yourself with a swipe.

Really hope to see the same behaviour on win10 desktop.

But yeah, no camera button sucks, 1030 better have it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You can map the home button to take pictures?

Every time I'm asked to take a picture for someone, I'm so annoyed at seeing the capture button on the touch screen because touching it bumps and pushes the camera out of focus.

Yarp.

A quick double tap turns on the camera by default. So damn fast.

clav

Yarp.

A quick double tap turns on the camera by default. So damn fast.

I didn't say turn on shortcut.

I'm asking can users take pictures by pressing the home button once like hitting the shutter button on a Lumia 520/521?

Samsung heavily advertised the double tap to launch camera because every blog talked about it. However, I didn't read anything about that same button taking pictures because there's still a button on the screen to snap.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
No, it only launches the camera app. There are phones out there that allow to take photos just by using some shortcut, but the result is always crap because the camera doesn't have time to focus. Given that there's no proper camera button, it's much better that way.

Crud

Banned
Finally got my 640. I got the white case for it I will shell out the $25 to get the blue. Phone is pure sex. Love it as much as my 810 I had to give up. Having glance back is so awesome the 635 was cool but no glance fucking killed me.

Still getting used to the size of it. It's the biggest phone I've ever owned. Took a couple pics so far I'm more impressed with my old 810 but this will do for now.

One thing I hate about getting new phones is transferring all the info from one phone to the next. Microsoft makes is really easy though. Only took me about 2-3 hours to get everything how I wanted it.

This is going to be a great fun phone that I will keep for sure. Still looking forward to a flagship W10 phone to hit T-mobile though.

clav

Finally got my 640. I got the white case for it I will shell out the $25 to get the blue. Phone is pure sex. Love it as much as my 810 I had to give up. Having glance back is so awesome the 635 was cool but no glance fucking killed me.

Still getting used to the size of it. It's the biggest phone I've ever owned. Took a couple pics so far I'm more impressed with my old 810 but this will do for now.

One thing I hate about getting new phones is transferring all the info from one phone to the next. Microsoft makes is really easy though. Only took me about 2-3 hours to get everything how I wanted it.

This is going to be a great fun phone that I will keep for sure. Still looking forward to a flagship W10 phone to hit T-mobile though.

640's price point is very attractive.

However, I need some crucial apps.

Definitely an upgrade for people on older phones.

Really hoping the new suite of phones are on the way, my Note Edge is nice but given how few apps I actually use I really miss Window Phone's beauty. Live tiles and metro are the best.

Plus using Cortana with my band was neat.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My 820 is still bricked, Windows Phone Recovery Tool won't find it and nothing found online works. I'm SOL, aren't I? :(

Sorry man, I've been reading your posts but keep forgetting to respond. Yeah, I think your phone is toast. I would definitely call Microsoft just to see if they will help you out in any way. It's very rare for these phones to get bricked, but I remember Leo laporte bricked his 1520 with the recovery tool, so it's possible.

JaggedSac

Am I missing it or is there no longer a call history in the latest version? Annoying.

Also, for $100 should I grab an 830 if I am using a 635? They are on the same chipset so it doesn't seem like it would perform much better.

derFeef

Do you have a screenshot?

I would upload if OneDrive let me do it. Basically it's an orange "Connecting" and a green "Updated" bar on top of the screen when you refresh or enter the app. It's not there when you newly install the app, but appears over time. My SO does not have it and we are running the same hardware and everything.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
After further examination, the 640 xl is a fine ass piece of kit if you want a cheap phablet with few compromises.

On screen buttons can still choke on my chode, though.

n64coder

Also, for $100 should I grab an 830 if I am using a 635? They are on the same chipset so it doesn't seem like it would perform much better.

No, you shouldn't deal with the 830.

Can you send me details on the $100 offer so i can check it out for myself as a test phone.

JaggedSac

No, you shouldn't deal with the 830.

Can you send me details on the $100 offer so i can check it out for myself as a test phone.

lol, Can't tell if you are being serious.

As for the offer, I forgot I had insurance on my 1020 and the screen got severely cracked a couple weeks ago. $100 is the deductible for a new phone and they don't have anything but the 830 to replace it with. Initially they said they would give me the M8 but it has been backordered for a while. Was wondering if the 830 would be fine until a new hero phone.

n64coder

As for the offer, I forgot I had insurance on my 1020 and the screen got severely cracked a couple weeks ago. $100 is the deductible for a new phone and they don't have anything but the 830 to replace it with. Initially they said they would give me the M8 but it has been backordered for a while. Was wondering if the 830 would be fine until a new hero phone.

Yes, I think it's worthwhile. My wife has it and she likes it alot. I haven't used her phone much but it looks good from my limited time on it. The camera is much faster than the 1020. So for $100, it's a no-brainer in my opinion.

NeOak

What a downgrade.

The 830 is my daily phone and my 635 is my W10 build phone.

There is a world of difference between the two in terms of quality, appearance, and performance. It would be a solid upgrade for you, especially as a transition phone until flagships are available.

Treo360

Am I missing it or is there no longer a call history in the latest version? Annoying.

You must be missing something. My call history is there.

Magni

Sorry man, I've been reading your posts but keep forgetting to respond. Yeah, I think your phone is toast. I would definitely call Microsoft just to see if they will help you out in any way. It's very rare for these phones to get bricked, but I remember Leo laporte bricked his 1520 with the recovery tool, so it's possible.

It was a developer device I got for free at an event last year, waiting to hear from support now. Fingers crossed.

Paganmoon

My insurance paid 300SEK out of the 1800SEK it would cost to replace the screen of my 1020, so I caved, Ordered a 640 today, currently on route to me, last update was 2 hours from my pick-up point, hope it gets there before the weekend starts so I don't have to wait till Monday.

Can I upgrade the 640 to Windows 10, reset and do a cloud restore with my 8.1 backup?

My insurance paid 300SEK out of the 1800SEK it would cost to replace the screen of my 1020, so I caved, Ordered a 640 today, currently on route to me, last update was 2 hours from my pick-up point, hope it gets there before the weekend starts so I don't have to wait till Monday.

Can I upgrade the 640 to Windows 10, reset and do a cloud restore with my 8.1 backup?
Restore will only work for settings, texts, email, and apps. Rolling back to 8.1 takes a bit more work.

I'm off out upgrade shopping tomorrow. Currently have an S4, but am looking to switch to a Windows Phone. Looking to reduce my monthly costs from the (eugh!) £45pm that I currently pay.

Currently on EE, I really wanted to get the Lumia 930 as it seemed to have the best screen and a really decent camera (the thing I use most on a phone other than the usual phoney bits).

Problem is, it seems to have a really limited availability. I can only really have a chance of getting one by going direct to one of 3 phone carriers - EE, O2 or Vodafone. Vodafone has the best deal, so I'm hoping I can beat EE into submission and get them to give me a good almost equivalent deal.

Failing that, I will have to choose a different one. My options are as follows:

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm kinda hesitant about picking a different phone as I feel like I'd be "settling for an alternative", and considering that I'm going to be stuck with my choice for 2yrs, you can understand my reservations.

Any wisdom offered would be appreciated.

Top Bottom