• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

kharma45

A few quick impressions of the 640:

The onscreen buttons, just seem "off", like they're not quite right, doesn't fit well or something.
I already miss the screen on the 1020. 640's colors just "pop" too much, liked the more muted colors of the 1020, viewing angle is also understandably much worse. Also miss my glance background.
No dedicated camera button is a bummer.
So far it beats the 1020 in performance. No stuttering at all, and very responsive screen. Will see how it fares in a few weeks when I've used it more, maybe it'll start doing minor stuttering after more use.

You can change the screens colour profile in settings to more muted tones.

Paganmoon

You can change the screens colour profile in settings to more muted tones.

Yeah, it helps, but it's more because of the LCD of the 640 vs. the OLED of the 1020, the black portions of the screen are never really quite black either.

All in all pretty satisfied with the 640, it's not a device I'd want to spend too much time with, but I think I'll manage with it until the flagships arrive.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't care what they call the music service, they just need to update the Android app. I have a subscription until next year, so I'll be using it at least that long and then evaluate the landscape.

I've been using the Lumia 535 for a week now and I can't see what's so bad about it. Good performance and really nice camera (for the price). Well it works and doesn't lag... that's pretty much what I want from a phone.

And Groove? Meh... Zune is so much better #bringbackZune

EDIT: Scratch that. Problems with touch when connecting my speakers to it... the fuck?

The original Zune 80 was a behemoth, but I thought it was very good.

When I was talking about brilliant hardware, I was talking about the Zune HD, though.

It's still the prettiest piece of hardware I ever owned. It's held up very well.

Regarding how they fucked up Zune from succeeding, you won't find many that disagree.

But both the software and hardware were brilliant imo.

I had the Zune 80 as well and even "pre-ordered" the import as soon as I could. It was a great piece of hardware as well. But my point was that the brand was tainted from the first device on and never got rid of that stink.

derFeef

Can you somehow force Messenger to update profile pcitures?
I know reinstalling is doing the trick but that's a bad solution.

nillapuddin

1020 will not connect proper to any pc
usb not recognized flashes over and over and Ive done an ass load of troubleshooting and it still hasnt fixed anything. Thoughts?

Treo360

Question for the WP10 team (I've asked this just now in the win10 thread) Are we ever getting message integration between the two platforms as once shown, or has this been shelved?

hadareud

The Translator
It's about the small details.

Yep.

But to be fair, they are adding those small details with each release.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the final version will still change a bit in looks. It has to, because in certain places it looks like WP8, still.

JaggedSac

It's about the small details.

Yep.

But to be fair, they are adding those small details with each release.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the final version will still change a bit in looks. It has to, because in certain places it looks like WP8, still.

Yeah, you can tell the fit and finish is not complete.

When did they show text message integration? I know they spoke about Skype and that crap, but didn't hear anything about texts.

mm04

They finally returned the live tile for music? Awesome.

Edit: So much for that. I understand it turns on when music is playing, but I had none on and had INXS on my tile. Oh well, that was weird. Why they ever removed that as a normal feature is beyond me.

Milchjon

Just turned on the data sense saving option for IE for the first time. Seems to actually work well! Which is a good thing, as I constantly manage to get my data throttled.

The worst thing is that Windows Media Player has much more features, and its Windows 10 replacements are just not to par. This is worrisome, considering that the program is pretty much deprecated since Windows 7 and it wouldn't be surprising to see it dropped with the Redstone update.

Seriously, the lack of gapless audio and competent library management is unacceptable.

It's just really frustrating that they had all this stuff in the Zune desktop client and threw it away, because "lol, drag and drop". Fuck whoever made that decision.

I was really disappointed when I saw that the Groove app has no Now Playing presentation at all. Not even a fullscreen cover art or anything like that. I spoke with a PM on that team recently and that person told me that there are still a lot of Zune people on the team, but who are they? Mindless interns that are left over? There's zero creativity and soul in that app.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's even more amazing when you consider that back in the day Microsoft went to war just to push its media player. Now it doesn't give a fuck.

hadareud

The Translator
I wonder how bad the new round of job cuts at Microsoft is.

The way they have treated Nokia is, I have to say, shabby to the extreme. It also makes a mockery of the purchase.

You don't buy a company (or part of it) and then sack a substantial number of their workforce and don't release any bloody flagship products so there's no chance for that business to succeed.

I know people get all moist when they hear about how someone is making "tough decisions", but really what it is, is a lack of vision, bollocks and empathy. It's not tough, it's the opposite.

It's even more amazing when you consider that back in the day Microsoft went to war just to push its media player. Now it doesn't give a fuck.

That why I said few days ago that they're not in the music business anymore. That initiative was killed with Zune.

Just a little reminder.

rTApne2.png

It was a great tag line, because it was true.

And I know, all this bitching comes over as "old man yelling at could" and "stop living in the past, old man".

MCD

I wonder how bad the new round of job cuts at Microsoft is.

The way they have treated Nokia is, I have to say, shabby to the extreme. It also makes a mockery of the purchase.

You don't buy a company (or part of it) and then sack a substantial number of their workforce and don't release any bloody flagship products so there's no chance for that business to succeed.

I know people get all moist when they hear about how someone is making "tough decisions", but really what it is, is a lack of vision, bollocks and empathy. It's not tough, it's the opposite.

Satya is the worst thing that happened to WP. Make no mistake about that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I still believe lumia was the best hardware on phones at the time, from high to low end devices. Too bad the software let them down, and yet its the software that lives on while the hardware division dies.

Edit: giga and his giddiness over this news is weird

giga

I still believe lumia was the best hardware on phones at the time, from high to low end devices. Too bad the software let them down, and yet its the software that lives on while the hardware division dies.

Edit: giga and his giddiness over this news is weird
Because the Lumia team has done nothing for two years. Hand it over the new devices group, who actually seem competent.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Because the Lumia team has done nothing for two years. Hand it over the new devices group, who actually seem competent.

And you don't think that their lack of productivity is in any way related to the management at Microsoft, considering their output before the acquisition?

Totakeke

I don't think it's fair to say they're incapable when the leadership doesn't want them to.

The marginalization of the hardware group seemed to be in the cards since Satya took over and it just took a while for him to reign in things.

giga

And you don't think that their lack of productivity is in any way related to the management at Microsoft, considering their output before the acquisition?
I don't know. I'm not privy to internal affairs. Ballmer definitely gets the majority of the blame since the buck stops with him. Satya is actually doing something about it now.

Top Bottom