• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

I mentioned the desktop converter as an example, I believe even developer/apis/sdks are having a staggered release.

Like uwp games needing the Anniversary Update (which launched last year, and was only made available to developers a bit prior to that), or the iOs bridge that's still in preview...

It always seemed to me, from the way they are rolling out the tools that they knew it was going an uphill battle with a very slow uptake. One thing I can see that wasn't in the plans was the complete abandonment of winphone, and thus creating a dev exodus instead of more devs coming to the platform and updating their apps.

It's not a UWP and their phone app is an 8.1 app, which is...pretty weak.

That said, I tried to replace the traditional Win32 app with the version distributed from the Store, but it crashes on launch for me.
The uwp is actually great, but the previous app on winphone was shameful for ms. They should be ashamed that it was what they had to offer for its consumers.

Skype is pretty spotty on every platform indeed, but you can tell there's actual effort there. The previous app was barely functional.

Yeah I was kinda joking, but agreed that the UWP version is actually pretty good. It's better than the Android app imo

I thought it was interesting that they reached out to Kodi and offered them to use the Win32 bridge. I've been using it on my HTPC ever since. Mainly, because after 17 versions, they still seem to be incapable to implement an auto-update solution in their program. Really weird, when you think about it.

bigJP

anyone got this issue,
my lumia 830 keeps restarting randomly. when it restarts, it restarts frequently.

running windows 10

bigJP

What version of Windows 10 are you running? Anniversary?

Versions 10586 are very buggy.

too late, bought a iphone 6s...

my thoughts:
prefer windows interface
apps and build of iphone is much better.

cant wait for the surface phone. may come out with winds of winter

bigJP

If you don't own a X50 phone (that shipped with W10) then W10 is gonna be shitty.

hmm good to know. been having problems with my phone for at least half a year. just recently got unbearable with the restarting and gps not working right. imagine driving in a foreign city and having your phone restart on you.

gonna miss windows phone but couldnt wait any longer. hated my experience with android so decided to move on to iphone. but for sure will be back for the surface phone

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
hmm good to know. been having problems with my phone for at least half a year. just recently got unbearable with the restarting and gps not working right. imagine driving in a foreign city and having your phone restart on you.

gonna miss windows phone but couldnt wait any longer. hated my experience with android so decided to move on to iphone. but for sure will be back for the surface phone

Which Android did you use? Check out Pixel. So good.

I honestly dont know what people sees in iOS. So boring and ugly looking OS. Fast reliable updates and smooth experience were staple to iOS but with Pixel, even that issue is no more. Cant think of anything that iOS does it better now.

bigJP

Which Android did you use? Check out Pixel. So good.

I honestly dont know what people sees in iOS. So boring and ugly looking OS. Fast reliable updates and smooth experience were staple to iOS but with Pixel, even that issue is no more. Cant think of anything that iOS does it better now.

had the galaxy s5. and before that some htc.

found both of them to be data and memory hogs
especially the memory. after a few months, their would be so much lag and slowdown. frustrating.
first time ios user and liking it. not the cleanest or most efficient layout but its just smooth

maeh2k

My father managed to drop his HTC 8X in such a way that the power button is now proken and permanently pressed. It keeps shutting off/on. I'd like to simply rip out the button, but I'm not sure if/how that works. Might take more disassembly.

On the plus side, it will give him the option to escape this burning platform soon...

So next I just set up my mother's old Lumia 920 for him. When I was done, I just wanted to put in the SIM card. The SIM card tray was somehow not very cooperative. Because of some small movable piece of plastic in there, I can't close the tray without using force. Even when I forced it close, it wouldn't recognize the SIM card...

Since my father needs the phone for work and I didn't have time to research low-budget Android phones that don't suck, I just got him a Lumia 650. Still on the losing platform, but at least it restored his entire configuration from the old phone...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
920 sim card tray was a nightmare.

Android degrades over time, that's just the way it is, doesn't matter what phone you have. Please don't waste time debating that with me. It's better now, sometimes, until it's not because of an app or something else and then you just reset your phone. Could be 3 months, 6 months, or a year. You either do that or ride out the rogue issue and hope it fixes itself.

But iOS is boring and inflexible.

There is no perfect option, just a lot of very good ones. Which is OK, but it would be better if we had a strong, viable third competitor like Windows phone.

JaggedSac

Was thinking about a Pixel but damn that thing is expensive. If I'm going to pay $700 for a phone might as well get the S8 since it will likely have the new 835 in it.

Or does Samsung have their own chipset?

My 920 has been run over by a car and survived. Yet if you insert the SIM tray the wrong way it immobilizes the phone for use outside of wifi.

kharma45

Was thinking about a Pixel but damn that thing is expensive. If I'm going to pay $700 for a phone might as well get the S8 since it will likely have the new 835 in it.

Or does Samsung have their own chipset?

They do but the Americans got the Snapdragon version last year. The rest of us got the superior Exynos version.

Paganmoon

The new fast ring build has the GATT Bluetooth APIs.

Sweet!

Great!! So now Fitbit just needs to update their app, right?

Won't be in their "live" app until the APIs are out of preview, but they should be sharing info on how you can switch to a beta branch to get the app with GATT support.

Edit: More news tomorrow according to the product manager for Windows at Fitbit. Not sure about that though since that would mean Saturday.

NeOak

Sweet!

Won't be in their "live" app until the APIs are out of preview, but they should be sharing info on how you can switch to a beta branch to get the app with GATT support.

Edit: More news tomorrow according to the product manager for Windows at Fitbit. Not sure about that though since that would mean Saturday.
He can Make a blog post

hadareud

The Translator
That's quite impressive support by Fitbit.

If MS don't release another wearable this year that includes Band features I'll probably get a Fitbit.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That's quite impressive support by Fitbit.

If MS don't release another wearable this year that includes Band features I'll probably get a Fitbit.

I'm liking the Charge 2, kinda wish I got the Blaze though since it feels like a big step back in usability. I wasn't a fan if how the blaze looked though.

The two big improvements though is the battery life and the app itself.

derFeef

I got a Surge and I am not really happy with it, also that thing does not sell well... still sitting on it. The Blaze is more interesting but I am kinda waiting for a new/smaller one.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I got a Surge and I am not really happy with it, also that thing does not sell well... still sitting on it. The Blaze is more interesting but I am kinda waiting for a new/smaller one.

Having bought Pebble and now Vector I'm sure they will be coming out with some nicer watch alternatives.

It would be hard to go back to MS in the wearables space again. Could say the same about mobile.

I've been getting daily resets on my 950XL and I'm on production builds. Pretty annoying.

Edit: Brot, the Charge 2 is comfortable and has great battery life. You can get leather straps for it too. Cons: it doesn't have built in GPS, sleep tracking isn't the best, doesn't have a flashy screen.

n64coder

If you don't own a X50 phone (that shipped with W10) then W10 is gonna be shitty.

My kids and my Mom all have 640 with W10. No issues. Before my wife got her 950, her 830 was fine on W10 as well. I would agree that pre anniversary update, the experience might not be as good.

So I'm on a Nexus 6 right now and it's damn near unbearable. It's degraded to the point of pure frustration. Wi-Fi only works if the screen has been on for around 30 seconds. The phone randomly goes crazy browsing the net and clicks on links and type gibberish. Bluetooth audio turns it's volume to zero after about 5 minutes which makes listening to audio on my motorcycle commutes a PITA. And on top of that it's just slow as hell.

I have been trying to wait for the surface phone but I can't take this very much longer. I went to the store to buy an iPhone but I find it really unappealing and the lack of true drag and drop and wireless charging made me walk out before I could be helped.

So I'm looking for either a decent Windows phone (does it exist?) Or a cheap Android that I can ride out until surface phone drops. Can you guys give me some advice?

So I'm on a Nexus 6 right now and it's damn near unbearable. It's degraded to the point of pure frustration. Wi-Fi only works if the screen has been on for around 30 seconds. The phone randomly goes crazy browsing the net and clicks on links and type gibberish. Bluetooth audio turns it's volume to zero after about 5 minutes which makes listening to audio on my motorcycle commutes a PITA. And on top of that it's just slow as hell.

I have been trying to wait for the surface phone but I can't take this very much longer. I went to the store to buy an iPhone but I find it really unappealing and the lack of true drag and drop and wireless charging made me walk out before I could be helped.

So I'm looking for either a decent Windows phone (does it exist?) Or a cheap Android that I can ride out until surface phone drops. Can you guys give me some advice?

I'll pretty much echo that the 950s are awesome and cheap, but yeah, you need to make sure the things you are used to are available on WP first.

And if you've never used a WP before, be prepared to never be appealed by any other phone again other than "well it has that app". Windows Phone: Best phone, worst support.

I basically only use audible and Google play music. I'm not tied to the last one though since I can always move to groove music. Is audible available?

And yeah, my phone before this was a 920. God how I miss it.

Is it worth going for the XL? $288 on Amazon. Only $20 more than the regular on amazon. Is it cheaper somewhere else? What do I need to use continuum and is it worth it?

Is it worth going for the XL? $288 on Amazon. Only $20 more than the regular on amazon. Is it cheaper somewhere else? What do I need to use continuum and is it worth it?

If you want the bigger size, I'm not sure why $20 wouldn't be worth it.

For Continuum, you just need a continuum dongle that plugs in through the USB C port, and then the m/kb and monitor. It's mainly for some mobile computing though, not exactly an important feature to anyone who has a regular computer.

You can do continuum wireless via miracast and bluetooth keyboard & mouse. There is also a continuum dock they sell for a wired setup.

Awesome! So amazon is selling only the unlocked international version. There is a warning before I purchase

This is an international version: An international version item is a product not originally intended for sale in the U.S. Depending on the country of origin, international versions of a product may differ from domestic versions in their default settings, packaging, AC adapters, accessories, manufacturer warranties, and other features.

Is this an issue?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019YFC8WY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks again. I plan on activating on Att in case that matters.

Top Bottom