• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Saturnman

Banned
Anyone else got a Lumia 950 that won't stop making these buggy/bubbly notification sounds every time you turn it on? Even turning the feature off in the settings won't fix the problem. I basically use the phone with volume off because of it.

One step closer to switching to Android permanently.

Paganmoon

Where did you get one for $250!!!!!

Is spotify at least on WP? It's the only app I use lol

Yes, the Spotify app exists and mostly works on the WP platform. There isn't feature parity though, so no device sync, no device control, no access to local files on your phone.
And as of late, it's presented some bugs with not being able to access the sound device, until after a reboot of the phone, getting stuck in a loading loop, or not being able to play offline synced files in offline mode, until a reboot of the phone. But it mostly works.

Sordid

Not experiencing any bugs on my 950 XL, it's been working well for a good while now.

Edit: Actually, my e-mail notifications are a bit delayed. They used to appear at the same time as notifications on my computer but they're a bit behind now. Not a huge deal though really.

Only bug I have is that sometimes, towards the end of the night (around 11pm or so) it temporarily forgets how to receive calls or texts. But that might just be Cricket.

Where did you get one for $250!!!!!

Is spotify at least on WP? It's the only app I use lol
Found it on Amazon from a 3rd party seller, international version so no warranty. But for that price I'll take the risk.

Not sure about Spotify. Sorry

These bugs you guys are complaining about are really worrying. I know every platform has bugs but that's some serious stuff.
2 weeks in and I'm bug free haha

Milchjon

It's been 4 days and I already miss WP.

Is there any 3rd party keyboard on Android that's similar when it comes to autocorrect, word prediction and especially toggling between languages?

ty_hot

I'm also only a week in the Android wagon and miss the live tiles. Android homescreen is dead, no useful information is displayed. Widgets are ugly for that purpose.

But on the keyboard department, I used to love WP keyboard, then after months using it I hated it, the spelling was much worse. Now with Gboard on Android I feel like I can't misspel a word.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes, the home screen and notifications on Android are really very poor when you're used to Windows.

You accidentally dismiss a notification? You'll have no idea what it was and where it was if you do.

And yeah, the screen is dead. Yeah there's widgets but it's not the same thing (I also don't want to use something that will potentially drain my battery or slow down my phone).

Android is functional when it comes to apps. There are a lot of apps and in general they receive the attention they deserve by the developers. That really is the only thing that Android has over Windows. Not that that's not important, but for me at least, it's nowhere near enough to move away from Windows unless I really have to.

Paganmoon

I truly envy you people who have no bugs on Windows Mobile. I used to be one of you...

Past week, I've had battery drain like mad. Doesn't even last half a day, of pretty much no use (Audible to and from work, which is a 10 minute walk). According to battery usage setting, Windows Camera is using most of it. I haven't even started the camera in days, and have done multiple reboots, and soft resets. Still Windows Camera apparently eats up my battery. :(

I'm on Release Preview on the 950.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I truly envy you people who have no bugs on Windows Mobile. I used to be one of you...

Past week, I've had battery drain like mad. Doesn't even last half a day, of pretty much no use (Audible to and from work, which is a 10 minute walk). According to battery usage setting, Windows Camera is using most of it. I haven't even started the camera in days, and have done multiple reboots, and soft resets. Still Windows Camera apparently eats up my battery. :(

I'm on Release Preview on the 950.

I was having issues with the production build (resets and battery drain) so for the hell of it I went to the fast ring. Definitely didn't help. I'm going through with the recovery tool and going back to the production build and see if it will help.

Basically my phone would reset in the 40-50% battery range. Then not long after would turn off and get a massive battery drain. Pretty frustrating.

Also is it too much to ask for the photos app to work normally. Zooming in on pictures is still terrible.

Paganmoon

Most sure way to not have bugs is to stay in Production builds.

Of course, lets see if 14393.726 gets pushed as is to production in a few days, or if there are any more fixes pushed before that.

I was having issues with the production build (resets and battery drain) so for the hell of it I went to the fast ring. Definitely didn't help. I'm going through with the recovery tool and going back to the production build and see if it will help.

Basically my phone would reset in the 40-50% battery range. Then not long after would turn off and get a massive battery drain. Pretty frustrating.

Also is it too much to ask for the photos app to work normally. Zooming in on pictures is still terrible.

Haha, god yes, the picture zooming is twitch inducing :)

ViciousDS

Banned
This phone is absolutely amazing. I love the metro setup for the phone.....it feels so natural.

Only issue I have is the phone. Crashes when sending a GIF to someone in the messaging app.

n64coder

Only issue I have is the phone. Crashes when sending a GIF to someone in the messaging app.

The phone doesn't crash, right? It kicks you out to the home screen. If so, I have this problem and I think it only happens when you do it from the photo screen and select share. If you go to messaging directly and then attach a photo, it works.

ViciousDS

Banned
The phone doesn't crash, right? It kicks you out to the home screen. If so, I have this problem and I think it only happens when you do it from the photo screen and select share. If you go to messaging directly and then attach a photo, it works.

Yes, that app closes. It seems an update fixed it. Now the phones fantastic! Been very happy with it and microsoft Edge is a great browser. Also saving a GIF actually comes up as a gif, god it feels good to save files just like a pc. Makes me feel in control of my files.

derFeef

Latest insider fixed the background bug, thank god!

So my GF has a 630 and is envying my 950 because of W10 and the newer apps (facebook on 8.1 is not the greatest and is lacking the recent FB additions). But she does not want a new phone yet because she want's to ride it out as long as possible. *shrug* We should have gotten the 635 in hindsight but hey.

Paganmoon

Has the new Fitbit integration been implemented yet?

Unless you're on Fast Insider AND signed up to the beta via Fitbits community pages, you most likely won't be seeing Fitbit notifications until Redstone 2 is available for public (April is it they're targeting now?).

If you're on Fast Insider preview, and signed up for the testing through Fitbit, the app will be updated as soon as Microsoft have fixed a few bugs Fitbit identified internally with the GATT-support. That's the latest info I've read.

NeOak

Man, my text messages take forever to send sometimes on this unlocked 950 XL. So weird.

It's so frustrating that I am willing to get the AT&T branded 950 if Enhanced LTE services fixes that.

Unless you're on Fast Insider AND signed up to the beta via Fitbits community pages, you most likely won't be seeing Fitbit notifications until Redstone 2 is available for public (April is it they're targeting now?).

If you're on Fast Insider preview, and signed up for the testing through Fitbit, the app will be updated as soon as Microsoft have fixed a few bugs Fitbit identified internally with the GATT-support. That's the latest info I've read.

So I'll likely only need to wait till April? Sweet!

Was worried this was something that'd take till August for non Fast ring to see. I'm really only motivated to do Production Preview builds, so that's good to hear it's targeting April. If it ends up being as reliable as Band is atm, then I'll almost certainly get a FitBit.
Fitbit hasn't mentioned anything about bringing Pebble support, have they?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I signed up my brother to the fitbit beta and he was never contacted.

Also, I'm not much of a mobile gamer AT ALL but I'm having a lot of fun with short bursts of Mario and Fire Emblem. So sad that the platform is in such a state that no one would even think to ASK for a Windows mobile version.

Paganmoon

Also, I'm not much of a mobile gamer AT ALL but I'm having a lot of fun with short bursts of Mario and Fire Emblem. So sad that the platform is in such a state that no one would even think to ASK for a Windows mobile version.

Fitbit beta hasn't started yet, there were apparently showstopping bugs in the GATT Server implementation on Microsofts side, so Fitbit are waiting for fixes before pushing it. AFAIK, anyone that signed up with correct info (and is on Fast ring) will be getting into the beta. Information about it will be posted on the Fitbit Community forums when it starts.

The platform is dead by all means and there's no reason to hold on it anymore, when not even Microsoft supports it.

Whenever I read "It's working well for me", I'm thinking "yeah, but whatever you're doing is working better on other platforms".

Tomcat

The platform is dead by all means and there's no reason to hold on it anymore, when not even Microsoft supports it.

Whenever I read "It's working well for me", I'm thinking "yeah, but whatever you're doing is working better on other platforms".

that's way wrong. I got a 950 xl at a very low price. On android I couldn't get a phone with those specs on these prices. The only comparable phone is an s7 and that's 200-300 euros more pricier. As for apps what I use I great. Tweet it is a great twitter app. Readit another great app. Unstream for twitch awesome uwp. Next gen reader is a full fleshed rss reader. Mytube for youtube. There are more but you get the picture and these apps are fully featured. So until those apps are working and getting updated I am good. On top of that I have a great phone with the best camera, great screen, wireless charging, microsd support etc.

this_guy

that's way wrong. I got a 950 xl at a very low price. On android I couldn't get a phone with those specs on these prices. The only comparable phone is an s7 and that's 200-300 euros more pricier. As for apps what I use I great. Tweet it is a great twitter app. Readit another great app. Unstream for twitch awesome uwp. Next gen reader is a full fleshed rss reader. Mytube for youtube. There are more but you get the picture and these apps are fully featured. So until those apps are working and getting updated I am good. On top of that I have a great phone with the best camera, great screen, wireless charging, microsd support etc.

For pure specs - the 950XL is comparable to the Galaxy S6 series. Both have the Snapdragon 810.

clav

It does basics really well if you don't rely on the store. That profile fits phones for elderly people who don't want to spend a flagship phone price ($30 USD or less).

Long battery life. OK camera. No need to worry about closing apps that consume power in background. Phone calls + texts now receive LTE bands as opposed to only 2G/3G/HSPA.

If your life requires data + other cloud services, then yeah, phone sucks.

mm04

It does basics really well if you don't rely on the store. That profile fits phones for elderly people who don't want to spend a flagship phone price ($30 USD or less).

Long battery life. OK camera. No need to worry about closing apps that consume power in background. Phone calls + texts now receive LTE bands as opposed to only 2G/3G/HSPA.

It was much easier to teach my 75 year old Mom how to use a Windows 8/10 phone in a few months than it was for my Dad to ever learn how to use his iPhone he owned for a few years. And now that he's passed, being able to communicate with the rest of us easily was a primary concern.

Also, wifi calling. I replaced my 635 with a $120 Android, and I'm totally out of communication with the world for like 10 hours a day.

maeh2k

The OneNote 2016 desktop client is totally free, right?

My Office 365 University ran out a couple of days ago, OneNote seems to work without restrictions, but it bugs me about my subscription each time I start it---probably because I didn't remove my 365 account. I'm not quite sure everything will still work, if I remove it.

I'm almost tempted to get a 365 subscription. It's not cheap and I don't use it much, but on the other hand, it's pretty good when I do use it, and I'm slightly over my 40GB OneDrive limit.

Top Bottom