• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

NeOak

I'd say there's been rough seas for quite some time before. The ship is now stuck in dead calm, and the crew is going to starve to death.

Wonder if we'll get to 500 pages... hmm.

Edit: also wonder how safe that sms importer is, could very well also copy all your text to another location somewhere...
There is no logged data use for it.

Also, it hasn't worked. I think the backup is too big for it. Gonna try again later.

hadareud

The Translator
Just listened to the Windows Weekly podcast over lunch and my hunch about W10 ARM replacing W10M is their hunch, too. Also, none of that maintenance mode for mobile is confirmed (or hinted at by their sources) either, it seems.

So just speculation based on recent events. Pretty sure that they are correct, though.

Paganmoon

Yep.

edit: well, based on different build numbers anyway. My phone is on 1703.

That's just Microsofts versioning thing, RS2 is 1703 (both PC and Mobile), RS was 1607 but the builds are named totally differently, 10.0.15xxx for RS2 and 10.0.14xxx for RS

Well, that's stupid to base the rumor on that alone. We've had the mobile build being a couple of numbers ahead or behind before.

yeah, it's a stretch really, but this isn't just a few numbers, this is "major build number" difference. but still, a stretch.

hadareud

The Translator
I do think there's something to the theory.

If not now, I suspect it's exactly what will happen after RS3.

I doubt we will see any new devices running Windows 10 mobile, it'll be Windows 10 ARM. And since that only works from 835 upwards, it won't run on existing devices.

Gibbs

I love how you guys never give up. It goes a bit into CrackBerry territory, but still. It really inspires me!

Windows Phone had all the potential in the world, and Microsoft dropped the ball. The live tiles were incredible. Probably the one thing I loved about WP and made it unique against iPhone and Android. Customization was a breeze.

I just loved everything about it until I noticed how unstable the phone really was. Apps were always crashing, the terrible "loading....." every time I tried to do something. Perhaps it was because I owned a budget WP. 520, 635, 640, but I didn't want to give up hope but with apps leaving at an alarming rare, I went iPhone, back to Windoww Phone then android, and now back on iPhone.

Microsoft had something entirely unique but couldn't deliver. They wanted to be like everyone else instead of staying different.

My 950XL is gonna strictly be my point n shoot. I tried it as a vacation/weekend phone for the camera but the phone's shitty gps on maps failed me numerous times.

Windows Phone had all the potential in the world, and Microsoft dropped the ball. The live tiles were incredible. Probably the one thing I loved about WP and made it unique against iPhone and Android. Customization was a breeze.

I just loved everything about it until I noticed how unstable the phone really was. Apps were always crashing, the terrible "loading....." every time I tried to do something. Perhaps it was because I owned a budget WP. 520, 635, 640, but I didn't want to give up hope but with apps leaving at an alarming rare, I went iPhone, back to Windoww Phone then android, and now back on iPhone.

Microsoft had something entirely unique but couldn't deliver. They wanted to be like everyone else instead of staying different.

I think the biggest problem was that WP never "took off". It was always a distant third place, so it was probably difficult for them to dedicate resources to it.
In a perfect world, we could've kept People Hub with plugins to support all the social media sites (instead of relying on system updates to kinda keep some compatibility kinda). In a perfect world, we'd have all the little niggles fixed. In a perfect world, maybe we could've gotten that Android app support, who knows.

Me and a coworker were discussing it, and it was sort of ironic that the exact thing that keeps Windows on PCs alive is the same thing that is killing WP -- entrenched third party support.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If my 950xl screen wasn't cracked i would be less likely to jump ship, but I'm tired of looking at it. Been like this almost since day 1 of getting it.

Edit: Or I should just save my money. I was looking at the G6, but I've been reading that the camera glass is easily susceptible to cracking or scratching

Klocker

Been on Windows (phone/mobile) from 2010 until about 6 months ago when APPS necessitated the switch ..but

I would take an android phone with a Windows UI in a heartbeat..
DO IT MS.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Me and a coworker were discussing it, and it was sort of ironic that the exact thing that keeps Windows on PCs alive is the same thing that is killing WP -- entrenched third party support.

Easy to forget now, but there was a period early in the Elop Nokia era where it really did look like a third ecosystem was viable. We were getting most major apps, even many games. Also Nokia had an incredible number of in house apps and Microsoft was paying developers to enhance the ecosystem. We were getting incredibly innovative devices like the 920 and 1020, and actual mindshare. It just wasn't a sustainable model. Or, maybe it was in terms of raw capability because Microsoft is massive but once ballmer left there was no more will to spend the large amounts necessary to sustain the platform, which at that point had cracked double digits in many territories and had positive momentum but clearly was not growing fast enough to threaten the major players.

derFeef

They thought they could win the people by making cheaper phones and release as much as possible within a year. I am still not sure why the blockbuster phones did not take off back then, people were already in their "OMG THE NEXT SAMSUNG" and "SAMSUNG GOT THE BEST CAMERA!" mindset sadly. I am not sure why WP would ever take off if they try again for those exact same reasons.

edit: fully back on my freshly "repaired" (no idea what they did) 950. While I love to be back, launching apps is still crappy. Even compared to the A3 which launches the usual apps very fast.

Paganmoon

They did "win" lots of people back in the 920/1020 and even into 930 releases, and with the lower end phones as well. they were over 10% in many euro markets. up to 17% in Italy iirc, and growing. Then they just stopped releasing high end phones for almost 2 years (Icon in Feb 2014 to the 950 nov/dec 2015), and in turn sort of ignored the platform during that time. There's really no one else to blame but Microsoft.
There wasn't a major conspiracy where people plotted to bring them down, they did it all by themselves.

Klocker

Shame that it was so far ahead of it's time as a UI

People never understood the beauty and ease and just went for the crap interface with apps.

If we had gotten all the apps early on we could have made a third ecosystem last.

Then again don't underestimate people wanting to leave their PC's behind and Microsoft reminded them of that. They wanted Google and apple mail.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Platform died thanks to Satya. I told you guys he will be the end of WP.

I never understood this. Platform was never viable for average joe even long before Satya took over. Despite the big marketing campaign, celebrity endorsement it never took off because of all the missteps and resets by MS. Developers never took it seriously and consumers didnt buy it simply because of lack of apps.

The only thing they should have done was, faster OS development time and proper high end phone releases every year.

Honestly the only thing Satya did was stop throwing money at dead platform. If that stupid Nokia acquisition didnt happen, they would have still had so many billions to throw at this platform.

gamz

I never understood this. Platform was never viable for average joe even long before Satya took over. Despite the big marketing campaign, celebrity endorsement it never took off because of all the missteps and resets by MS. Developers never took it seriously and consumers didnt buy it simply because of lack of apps.

The only thing they should have done was, faster OS development time and proper high end phone releases every year.

Honestly the only thing Satya did was stop throwing money at dead platform. If that stupid Nokia acquisition didnt happen, they would have still had so many billions to throw at this platform.

Well said. I still think Surface team has something up their sleeves and I do believe it'll be another reboot for the OS. That foldable phone\device patent certainly does look interesting. I really. really miss WP and I'm praying for a comeback.

I feel like if the UWP had materialized a few years ago, and had Xbox One support right out of the gate, we probably would've had a lot fewer issues. UWP was a great idea, but by the time it rolled out WP was already that "lol no apps why bother" phone for most devs and users.

gamz

I feel like if the UWP had materialized a few years ago, and had Xbox One support right out of the gate, we probably would've had a lot fewer issues. UWP was a great idea, but by the time it rolled out WP was already that "lol no apps why bother" phone for most devs and users.

What do you mean Xbox One support? On the phone?

Paganmoon

Could one of you that still have Windows phones download the Samsung Smart Switch app, and see if you can get past the terms and conditions page?
Apparently, it's supposed to have windows 10 support, but I can't even click past that screen.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Could one of you that still have Windows phones download the Samsung Smart Switch app, and see if you can get past the terms and conditions page?
Apparently, it's supposed to have windows 10 support, but I can't even click past that screen.

I'll try in a bit. Just picking up an S8. Impulse buy!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'll try in a bit. Just picking up an S8. Impulse buy!

That's crazy lol. You went from not wanting to fix $150 screen and using a broken phone for months, to passing up budget Android flagships (including one I would've given you a sweet deal on), straight to the most expensive phone on the market. My word. I was feeling bad for you because you couldn't afford to fix your 950xl.

Not that I'm judging, I've spent more money on phones than any normal person should.

NeOak

Wait, it's for WP too?

I'll try.

Paganmoon

Wait, it's for WP too?

I'll try.

yeah, it's available in the windows store. I managed to get past the disclaimer once, but just to a black screen with a connect button, nothing happened there either, so I reinstalled the app, back to same old now, with not getting past the disclaimer.

If I check the app in the store again, it apparently thinks it's not installed, and gives me the install button again. Maybe I should do a hard reset, restore, and then try again?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That's crazy lol. You went from not wanting to fix $150 screen and using a broken phone for months, to passing up budget Android flagships (including one I would've given you a sweet deal on), straight to the most expensive phone on the market. My word. I was feeling bad for you because you couldn't afford to fix your 950xl.

Not that I'm judging, I've spent more money on phones than any normal person should.

Lol. I was only able to make it work because I was able.to trade in my wife's iPhone6, plus some other deals so it was basically free. Got $20 for my 920 too lol

Treo360

I get as being able to connect to my s8's Wi-Fi signal, I then hit back button as instructed, and then nothing.

The Samsung app is garbage. It worked like shit when I tried to transfer everything from my Nexus 5. It barely worked over Bluetooth and the cable connection had issues.

Gibbs

I think the biggest problem was that WP never "took off". It was always a distant third place, so it was probably difficult for them to dedicate resources to it.
In a perfect world, we could've kept People Hub with plugins to support all the social media sites (instead of relying on system updates to kinda keep some compatibility kinda). In a perfect world, we'd have all the little niggles fixed. In a perfect world, maybe we could've gotten that Android app support, who knows.

Android app support would have been a saving grace to a point. I would have stayed if they kept true to doing it, but they couldn't deliver for some odd reason.

I do agree with you, it may have never taken off properly. People Hub was fantastic by the way. When I used windows phone beside my ex who had an iphone, it was night and day, but I felt my WP had so much more personality. Though it was apparent how bad it was in terms of speed and the nagging issues MS just never seemed to care to fix.

Perhaps they'll give it a shot again with the rumored surface phone? Who knows, but my only hope is that they deliver on a phone that is more stable, faster, and has the support it deserves.

Cheap Surface for the Education market? I think it'll be a huge hit.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsofts-push-education-right-move-time
I don't see it being a big success unless they are really cheap and still offer good performance. The cheap Windows 10 Laptop's that Microsoft pushed OEM's to release have been garbage with terrible performance that cannot compete with ChromeOS. The only way this is successful is if it is affordable like a Chromebook is, but still be able to handle tasks decently. I cannot see it being cheap since it will be wearing the "Surface" name and I don't have a lot of faith in performance given past efforts.
That could change over time, and perhaps Microsoft has some strategies in place to help lure companies to create apps specifically for this genre.
This is the same thing Windows Phone fans have been telling themselves for the past 4-5 years. Hoping and praying that Microsoft has some secret sauce strategy in the pipeline only to be disappointed over and over again.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I don't see it being a big success unless they are really cheap and still offer good performance. The cheap Windows 10 Laptop's that Microsoft pushed OEM's to release have been garbage with terrible performance that cannot compete with ChromeOS. The only way this is successful is if it is affordable like a Chromebook is, but still be able to handle tasks decently. I cannot see it being cheap since it will be wearing the "Surface" name and I don't have a lot of faith in performance given past efforts.
This is the same thing Windows Phone fans have been telling themselves for the past 4-5 years. Hoping and praying that Microsoft has some secret sauce strategy in the pipeline only to be disappointed over and over again.

lol yup

I stopped reading Daniel's write up a while ago.

Top Bottom