• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WindowsCentral - Microsoft and Razer might be working on an Xbox keyboard and mouse partnership.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.windowscentral.com/micr...e-working-xbox-keyboard-and-mouse-partnership

Earlier in the year, Microsoft spoke to developers about its plans for keyboard and mouse support on Xbox One. Leaked documents we've recently received detail how Microsoft was at least planning to bring mouse support to the April update of the Xbox dev kit. Redmond showed off the sofa-friendly Razer Turret keyboard and mouse peripheral in partnership with Razer, who joined Microsoft for the presentation.

Whether these plans are still set to go ahead or not remains a mystery, but we can at least get a glimpse at what the two companies might be working on.

The presentation details a Microsoft and Razer partnership to enable Razer Chroma RGB lighting support directly on Xbox in games, showing off how it works today in PC versions of Overwatch, DOTA2, and other titles. Chroma lighting can provide visuals cues for abilities coming off cooldown and so on, which can be useful and immersive.
The presentation also details some rules and guidance for developers on their implementation of mouse and keyboard support for Xbox. Gamepad support is still a requirement for all titles, and the Xbox can only support one mouse and keyboard per console, unlike gamepads, of which it can support several.

The presentation closes noting that mouse and Razer RGB lighting support for games was at least supposed to arrive in the April 2018 XDK update, targeting a Fall 2018 Windows 10 Update rollout, internally known as RS5. We haven't been able to verify if it actually did land in the hands of developers as of yet, or whether it got cancelled or delayed.
razer-turret-xbox.jpg

xbox-mouse-features.png

xbox-mouse-keyboard-dev-rules.jpg

xbox-usb-mouse-support.png
Much more in the link.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
How are they going to balance that? Nerf the mouse speed or just let gamepad players be disadvantaged?

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
How are they going to balance that? Nerf the mouse speed or just let gamepad players be disadvantaged?

It's already possible to use keyboard and mouse on Xbox One and PS4, and you haven't heard much about disadvantage there. Remember there's heavy auto aim on console.

Durask

I have Razer Turret, it was a huge disappointment. It needs to be bigger and it MUST have lighted keys. Well, no one to blame but myself for buying a beta product before reading the reviews.
That being said, I do like Razer keyboards and mice, price wise they are about what everyone else these days charges for a gaming keyboard and mouse.

An Ikea shelf with a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse on top of it is a far superior solution if you want to game in front of your TV.:)

Last edited:

xet72

Reading title I had some hope that this official Microsoft product might challenge a xim. Sony official Hori Tac Pro is no match for a xim setup so maybe Microsoft could do better?

Microsoft encourages developers to monitor how mouse and keyboard players compete against gamepad players and make adjustments where necessary, while "highly suggesting" that use of mouse and keyboard should be used in separate matchmaking rules.

wtf? Dead on Arrival. Who would buy this and allow Devs possibility put them in separate lobby / rules? Answer NOBODY. The main reason behind allowing mouse and keyboard on console is access to larger lobbies and console friends. Buying an expensive piece of kit w/ large chance being discriminated against vs. undetectable w/ a xim apex? Hell a xim apex is even better on windows (steam, bnet) and undetectable as an xbone controller due to higher framerate. I personally can't feel a difference between a xim4 and xim apex on PS4 pro or Xbox X but can on my Ryzen 2600X / Vega 56 system on PC. Xim Apex just comes into its own over 100fps on games like Destiny 2 on bnet. If microsoft & razer want to make a compelling product it needs to register as an xbone 1 controller period. Even then its tuff sell versus a xim apex , g502 & your fav mechanical KB IMHO. That said if Microsoft & Razor can make a setup that registers as xbox cotroller that can flick faster close quarter combat in FPS on Xbone and it'll sell.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/25/17500298/microsoft-xbox-one-keyboard-mouse-support-razer-chroma

If all goes according to plan, Xbox One users will start to make use of this later this year with Microsoft’s fall update for the Xbox.

Microsoft will be supporting a variety of USB mice, including ones with wireless dongles. Bluetooth and custom mouse drivers won’t be supported initially, though. Microsoft is also on new game APIs that will allow developers to detect and block keyboard and mouse accessories like the Xim that currently unfairly mimic controller behavior.

astroglide

I feel like this is something that will only work on sp games or horde mode co op stuff. Honestly it doeant bother me to play against mouse and keyboard players. Iv played games on pc where I was playing against people. Who were running 60fps+ while I was at 30. I still had fun. This will be no diffrent. More options are welcomed

There needs to be separate playlist, or a controller user should have the option to play with mouse users, not forced. Console users play on console for a reason. XIM users use XIM for the cheap advantage and claim preference. You don’t get to have your cake and eat it too, play with friends on a console, have a larger users base(for some games), have no(or less) hacking and mods, and run your mouse.

MS needs to release official KB/M support, level the playing field again, and go after and disable the XIM users. With the adaptive controller, official mouse and KB support, there is absolutely no reason to allow a product that tricks your system into thinking the player is using a controller.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I feel like this has been taking forever since this I first heard Phil Spencer talking about it coming. At this point I kinda wish gyroscope motion controls would become the compromise instead of trying to bring keyboard and mouse to consoles. That would be a lot easier to standardise then keyboard and mouse controls.

Fbh

Cool, it could help bring some genres like RTS to consoles.
But if this becomes the norm, any multiplayer shooter that doesn't give me an option to filter out M/K players will be an instant no-buy

Razer is over-priced garbage. Hopefully we'll be able to hook up any brand of mkb we prefer. In general this is a great idea but there need to be mandated separate playlists for mkb vs controller. If both of these boxes are checked this will be a wonderful selling point for the Xbox family of devices.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.razer.com/campaigns/keyboards-mice-xbox-one

768x500-mikecampaign-mobile-hero.jpg

THE FIRST WIRELESS KEYBOARD AND MOUSE DESIGNED FOR THE XBOX ONE

We are proud to partner with Microsoft to bring you the world’s first wireless keyboard and mouse designed for Xbox One. Equipped with our industry-leading gaming technologies, discover a new way to play in your living room. Find out more at CES on 08/01/2019.

Last edited:
How will they handle game to game optimization? I know the Xim adapters have specific profiles designed for each game’s look/aim/assist mechanics. On console I dont think it’s as simple as plugging in a mouse and getting built in 1:1 feeling input like PC, is it?

Shifty

How will they handle game to game optimization? I know the Xim adapters have specific profiles designed for each game’s look/aim/assist mechanics. On console I dont think it’s as simple as plugging in a mouse and getting built in 1:1 feeling input like PC, is it?
It is. XIM and co have so many options because they emulate mouse-like behaviour by synthesizing analog stick inputs. Thus, they have to counteract various game-side algorithms being applied to the analog stick, such as acceleration, smoothing, response curve, and so on, in order to get it to feel like actual mouse input.

Native mouse implementations don't have those algorithms by default because they don't need them, so implementing mouse support via this new API will be as it would for a PC game- plug the relative pointer movement numbers into your camera rotation code, and skip all the 'comfort' stuff that you'd apply to make analog aiming feel good. Job done.

Last edited:
$250? WTF? What a cash grab.

Does Xbox One allow gamers just plugging in a $20 keyboard yet?
$250 sounds about right. A wireless Razer mouse like that is around $100-$150, and a mechanical keyboard like that is around $150. It's almost a direct take on the Huntsman Elite by Razer minus the 10 key which mind you is a $200 mechanical keyboard. Take into account that the keyboard is wireless as well which should realistically add more to the cost and the fact that it has that slide out mouse pad and it's a pretty fair deal.

This higher end stuff isn't cheap.

https://www.razer.com/campaigns/keyboards-mice-xbox-one

768x500-mikecampaign-mobile-hero.jpg

THE FIRST WIRELESS KEYBOARD AND MOUSE DESIGNED FOR THE XBOX ONE

We are proud to partner with Microsoft to bring you the world’s first wireless keyboard and mouse designed for Xbox One. Equipped with our industry-leading gaming technologies, discover a new way to play in your living room. Find out more at CES on 08/01/2019.
Holy fuck. So glad I'm not a gamer anymore. What the fuck is that thing? 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Ovek

7Member7
Nah fuck Razer shit, it will magically stop working after 6 months and then Razer will try and weasel their way out of warranty.

That tiny mouse pad is hilarious, literally useless for any fps gaming. For $250 you can get a quality M&K with a proper mousepad.

Top Bottom