• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winning Eleven Champions League.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
CLICK HERE FOR THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE GA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE (courtesy of sefskillz)

gaflge.jpg

RULES- EVERYONE MUST READ ALL (except Playoff Format section)

Settings
Regular Season
- 15-Minute Games
- No PKs, No OT (Game Should End After 90 Minutes)
- Everything else on default (random condition, random weather, etc.).

Schedules and Playing Games Requirement
- Your schedules are available at both the Schedule Page and your Individual Team Pages.
- Fifty and I will release schedules in 3-round blocks every week on Friday. You will have until the FOLLOWING SUNDAY by 11 PM EST to play ALL THREE of your games in each block.
Rounds 1-3: Play by March 5.
Rounds 4-6: Play by March 12.
Rounds 7-9: Play by March 19.
Rounds 10-12: Play by March 26.
Rounds 13-15: Play by April 2.
- We are giving people a few extra days in this block so that you can get acclimated to everything, but it should be fairly easy to schedule in ~1 hour of WE-playing and stat reporting (only if you win or are the AWAY team in a tie- see below) a week.
-You can play the games in each block in ANY ORDER so long as all three are completed in time.
- Do whatever you need to get in contact w/ your opponents. PM them, post in this thread, whatever.
- If someone is being unresponsive and making it difficult to get your game in on time, PM fifty or me so we don't think you are both just being negligent. Conversely, if you have a problem getting one game in a certain week, LET US KNOW when you will get it in. We're not just going to boot people or be hard-asses b/c people have tough schedules. I'm in my last year of law school, I know what it's like. As long as we know that you actually CARE about getting the games in and can do so in a reasonable time, that's absolutely fine.

Going Online
- Official GA Lobby is 5 (Backup is Lobby 6)- Meet there by default. If needed b/c Lobby is crowded, password is “gasoccer.”
- If you are the “Home” team (schedule is “Away vs. Home”) you host (create) that game, although this is not a requirement, just something meant to make things easier (if you are Away LOOK for the game, if you are Home, CREATE the game), but it becomes more important in the two-legged playoffs (see below).
-You should try to use a GA-identifiable name, hopefully just your GA name or some recognizable modification (“hukaGAF, AstroLad” are just some examples). WE lets you create three different names under your account, so hopefully you can just do that if you currently have an unrecognizable name.

Submitting Stats
Important STAT REPORTING UPDATE
We are no longer recording Assists since you can't see them online.
- Familiarize yourself with the post-game stats screen before playing so you can find all the stats you are required to report.
- Submission is easy, you can do it either from your Team Page (there will also soon be a "Teams" page listing all the teams) or the Schedule Page by clicking on “Submit Score.” Familiarize yourself with the submission page before playing ANY games, PM or post if you have any questions.
- At the end of the game the WINNER should write down all necessary stats for BOTH teams. In the event of a TIE, the AWAY team on the schedule (remember, “AWAY vs. HOME”) should report the game, regardless of who was actually the Away team in the game
o Required Stats:
 Individual
• Goal Scorers (write down names)
• Players w/ Yellow Cards (names)
• Players w/ Red Cards (names)
• Goalies w/ Clean Sheets (or shutouts in American parlance) (names)
 Team
• Total Shots
• Shots on Target
• Possession %
- Remember to use R1 to scroll through the stats pages and find out who got cards and who scored.
- The game gives you 600 seconds (10 mins.) before booting you after the game is done, so do whatever is easiest- writing then submitting or submitting straight from the game screen, but BE SURE YOU ARE ACCURATE. It is probably better to jot down the stats in case there is an error in submission or your time runs out.
- All players on the site are indicated by their real names. If you have a team that uses fake names (e.g., Lokomotiv Moskva), consult http://www.pesinsight.com/showpost.php?p=556148 (list of all squad lists w/ numbers) so you know for whom to submit stats.

Submission Process

- YOU WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO SUBMIT STATS FOR PEOPLE ON YOUR ROSTER, so you need to let us know if someone not on your roster needs to be put on when necessary (you can do this via pm). We included all first and second teams now, so if a third team person had a stat or we missed someone and they're not available on the stat entry screen PM US.
- Once you have clicked "Submit Results" you will be taken to a page. First put in the score and hit "Submit Score." Then put in any game comments or a game recap (strongly encouraged, even if it's just a few sentences esp. if it was a very good game, but certainly not required). Then put in TEAM STATS. You will enter Shots (TOTAL), Shots on Target, and Possession % for BOTH teams. You will then enter Goals, Assists, Clean Sheets (i.e. goalie shutouts), Yellow Cards, and Red Cards for ALL PLAYERS ON BOTH TEAMS (that is if anyone on either team has any of these, you enter it). You enter these stats one by one, so you put in, e.g. AC Milan, Shots, 20 and hit Submit Team Stat and keep going 'til they're all done, same for individual stats. They will then show up on the bottom. Sef will implement a delete feature for deletion until stats are approved if you screw up and want to fix it right away but until then BE CAREFUL otherwise you'll have to communicate with fifty or me to get it sorted out. Once all the stats are submitted, YOU'RE DONE!
- Once you have submitted everything, fifty or I will approve it and it will feed right into the all the stats pages (discussed below). IF YOU ARE MISSING ANY TEAM OR INDIVIDUAL STATS YOUR GAME WILL NOT BE APPROVED AND YOUR SCORE WILL NOT BE POSTED. We will then have to sort things out over PMs, so let's just avoid it and all take the few minutes involved.
- Stats will very soon be displayed on both the Stats Page (the top 10 in each team and individual category w/ pics for the leader) and on your Individual Team Pages for all your players and your team so we will have a very comprehensive system here where you can check how all your players are doing, how players on other teams are doing, where you may rank in the top 10, etc. Basically it should be really fun as long as everyone follows the simple and intuitive steps outlined above (and really basically clear from the site).
- If you do not submit stats because you did not write them down/lost them/don’t care, you will be forced to replay the game from 0-0. Hopefully the next time you will either lose or do it right. Stat submission is huge for this league and sef alone has spent countless hours getting everything running, all you need to do is follow the simple and quick steps to submitting properly and the league will be better for everyone (including you since you won’t be kicked out!).

Playoffs
- The two teams in each DIVISION with the most points will qualify for the playoffs. Also, the next two teams with the most points in each CONFERENCE will qualify. There will thus be a total of 6 playoff teams in each conference and 12 overall.
- Teams will be ranked in each conference accordingly:
o 1- Division winner with the most points.
o 2- Other division winner.
o 3- Division 2nd place with the most points.
o 4- Other division 2nd place.
o 5- Wild card with the most points.
o 6- Other wild card.
- First and Second Rounds
o 1-2 have byes
o 3 plays 6
o 4 plays 5
o 1 plays winner of 4-5
o 2 plays winner of 3-6.
- Playoff Format
o The clubs that advance to the knock-out stage play two matches (same settings as regular season) against each other on a home and away basis, with the club scoring the greater aggregate of goals qualifying for the next round. In the event of both teams scoring the same number of goals the team which scores more goals away qualifies. The second game should be set to Golden Goal extra time w/ PKs in case there is an overall tie (same aggregate goals, same number of away goals), and if there is a tie at the end of the second game but the series has been decided at the end of regulation of the second game players can just play the extra time for fun, but should not report any of those stats. These rules apply through the quarter-finals and semi-finals. The Final is decided by a single match (golden goal, PKs).

Ethics
- It is very important that players try their hardest in every game. Since there are no carryover injuries or cards, there is absolutely no excuse for not playing your best regardless of if you are 0-2 or 2-0, as mailing it in could have an unfair impact on others in your group, and in a worst-case scenario keep someone out of the playoffs. So play hard in every game. An 0-4 result doesn’t mean someone didn’t put in effort, so don’t worry about results, just play your best down to the very last game.
- Submit all results correctly. We are assuming that everyone will be honest since there is no prize beyond the first pick for the champion (whoo) and bragging rights (whee), but if we are PMed about a situation where someone inaccurately reported and it seems deliberate or is a pattern, that person will be booted and we will find a replacement. The same goes for consistent apathy or carelessness in submitting stats or playing games.
- If anyone has ANY PROBLEM whatsoever with someone’s reporting, sportsmanship, or LITERALLY ANYTHING RELATED TO THE LEAGUE, PM fifty or me.

Socreges

Banned
Wow, Ive been pretty fortunate with draft picks so far.... 2nd and now 3rd. Dunno who I want yet, though.

The next draft should be a lottery determined by placement in the league before. ie, first place finish gets last pick.

shoplifter

wrong wrong wrong

edit: so there's at least some substance to the post, hopefully we can go with 2-3 games a week. I know some of y'all don't have real jobs so you can play whenever, but unfortunately that's not the case for me. I'd say that three I can handle but 4 could get a little rough to try to schedule.

shoplifter

FrenchMovieTheme said:
since ill be at work all day, if my number comes up before i get home i want the following teams if they are available:

1. germany (yes i know they're good, thats why i want them!)
2. united states

now, i seriously doubt the states will be picked so ill stop there.

you know we're using club teams, right?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
shoplifter said:
wrong wrong wrong

edit: so there's at least some substance to the post, hopefully we can go with 2-3 games a week. I know some of y'all don't have real jobs so you can play whenever, but unfortunately that's not the case for me. I'd say that three I can handle but 4 could get a little rough to try to schedule.

Yeah I think 3-4 is a good amount. If 3 is easier for folks, we can do 3 and then just cut back on the schedule length maybe.

FMT- Yes, it's club teams which are like the NBA teams as opposed to USA basketball. There's a whole list in that link (with real names since not all the teams in the game have their real names) and you'll see them once you get the game.

Fifty

I haven't heard or seen SRider in a few days I hope he shows up (he picks just before me).....

If anyone wants this to go easier you can PM me or Astro a list of your most wanted teams in order of preference. Obviously the list will have to have more than 5 teams listed for you to have a chance at getting one. I'd suggest 10. The closer we are now to your pick the fewer teams you'd need to have, and the further away the more.

This isn't so much to help you so much as to help the entire league draft more efficiently. This isn't a rule, just a suggestion.

Srider

Banned
I'm here, Manchester United for me.

If anyone really has a problem with that, let me know and I can use my Italian picks unless those are taken already by the time i'm informed of the problem.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Srider said:
I'm here, Manchester United for me.

If anyone really has a problem with that, let me know and I can use my Italian picks unless those are taken already by the time i'm informed of the problem.

Yeah just either wait to pick (should be very soon) or PM me or fifty a list. Otherwise I'll draft manu for you but it's very possible they could be gone.

Socreges

Banned
I dont see huka choosing Man U. He seems like a respectable individual. ;)

But yea, adherence to the rules and order is a must.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Socreges said:
I dont see huka choosing Man U. He seems like a respectable individual. ;)

But yea, adherence to the rules and order is a must.

Hehe, yeah I have no problem w/ people announcing picks early if they want to just want to make sure no one assumes they've made a pick and then it's gone and we have to wait longer than otherwise for them to realize (not that Srider was doing this, just trying to make the point clear).

Socreges

Banned
Fifty said:
A fan of the underdog I see.
Why choose the underdog beyond the potential pretense of Oh, I beat you with the underdog, particularly when the best teams have the most exciting players? Sheva rocks you.

Srider

Banned
I'm sorry, I thought a reply from me was urgent based on Fifty's post before mine. Didn't mean to violate any rules.

:lol crap i was trying to fix my dual shock 2 because the square button was sticking (and has been for sometime) and i put it all back together but now it doesn't work. button doesn't stick anymore though! back to the... dual shock 1 for me... boourns!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sefskillz has been incredibly gracious in putting together a league site for us, here it is (will post in first post to)- http://sefskillz.com/gaf-we9/

We're (well, sef) going to add a few things and that looks like an awesome place for us to run the league from. All league discussion can then continue in this thread. We'll figure out the stats and everything once we have the teams picked.

FMT- You should be fine b/c all you really need the analogs for is the right analog for the roulette move (which I think only I use regularly online anyway) and manual passing (definitely not necessary for a beginning, and to be honest I almost never use it either). D-pad FTW control-wise anyway, it's all I use. :D

Shoplifter's pick!

Socreges

Banned
Big, big thanks to Astrolad for organizing this and sefskillz for the site.

Does the DS1 have analog buttons? I think thats important.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Also can everyone PM me their AIM addresses if you use it so we can organize things more quickly when necessary.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Daigoro said:
i allready have a match scheduled and everything? cool.
well that's just test data, ill probably wipe everything clean once everyone picks their teams and let astro/fifty start from a clean slate :)

Daigoro

sefskillz said:
well that's just test data, ill probably wipe everything clean once everyone picks their teams and let astro/fifty start from a clean slate :)

oh ok. ill wait for the official announcement then.

thanks. :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Alright Rorschach has 'til 5 PM EST tomorrow (Monday) to make his pick or we'll drop him to 20 and hopefully he'll show up in time to make that pick (I think he will, just hasn't checked in recently and don't want to keep everyone waiting).

Everyone else be sure to be ready to draft OR pm me your list of picks sufficient to cover all of the top teams in your list getting picked before you AND post in the thread (everyone needs to have this thread subscribed/have posted in this thread before the league starts).

I PMed fitty my top 3, should I just post them here too? I have class tomorrow from 1:30-5:00 so I might not be around.

1. Lyon
2. Bayern Munich
3. Fiorentina

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
bionic77 said:
I want Brazil.

Fuck! I can't believe they're not taken yet!

(jokes, people, jokes; no you can not pick countries!)

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Alright everyone, just like the Cup draft after the first one or two >1 day hiccups everyone is on a short leash now, especially people we haven't seen on in days and who we don't really know. So just as a warning, you will get bumped from your draft spot with the quickness unless you PM your picks or are at least checking in a few times a day to see if it's your pick you may get bumped down (not really a big deal since right now, for example, some of our best owners from the Cup are picking last, so SOMEONE's gotta do it and around that level the teams don't vary that much anyway, but in the interests of efficiency the bump's gotta be done).

Finally, no matter what you do you MUST post in this thread. Everyone's gotta be subscribed that's it.

We're waiting 'til 5PM for Rors, after that we have several lists so samson be ready or you'll get bumped too.

Top Bottom