• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winning Eleven Matchup Thread.

Ryck

Awesome Astrolad using inter was up 1 nil and then Fifty ( real madrid ) just equalized......I wish it showed the times......

Edit] WTF! I just got dropped, sorry astrolad that was a nice first goal I hope I don't get a disconnect for that. Im a bit disapointed that you can't use your edited rosters and kits...I spent the whole morning finding a Option file and was hoping it would work online.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ryck said:
Awesome Astrolad using inter was up 1 nil and then Fifty ( real madrid ) just equalized......I wish it showed the times......

Edit] WTF! I just got dropped, sorry astrolad that was a nice first goal I hope I don't get a disconnect for that. Im a bit disapointed that you can't use your edited rosters and kits...I spent the whole morning finding a Option file and was hoping it would work online.

Hehe, no prob. It as kind of nice that we had a pretty smooth game up until them. Yeah the options is unfortunately, I wish I coulda told you before that you can't use custom teams online (you can use your ML team though I believe). Ah well, good two minutes of a game. ;)

Ryck

AstroLad said:
Hehe, no prob. It as kind of nice that we had a pretty smooth game up until them. Yeah the options is unfortunately, I wish I coulda told you before that you can't use custom teams online (you can use your ML team though I believe). Ah well, good two minutes of a game. ;)
It was smooth on your end ? I got a few hiccups, your player would stop moving then magically be a few steps away without actually crossing the distance. ( still WAY smoother than any other sports game I've ever played online)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ryck said:
It was smooth on your end ? I got a few hiccups, your player would stop moving then magically be a few steps away without actually crossing the distance. ( still WAY smoother than any other sports game I've ever played online)

Yeah I'm speaking relatively here. My connection gets really dodgy in the evenings so I thought our game was pretty decent (pretty decent=being reaonably able to time moves like the sidestep, spin, etc. properly). Basically I think it wasn't ideal (it is p2p NY->CA after all) but it's nothing I would bitch about if we had to play a cup or league game or whatever.

Hayami

Banned
if anyone wants to play, I'm down.

c'mon, now. why is a win with penalties considered draw. that's bogus.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hayami said:
if anyone wants to play, I'm down.

c'mon, now. why is a win with penalties considered draw. that's bogus.

Still on? I'm going to Lobby 3 (aka the GA Lobby).

Hayami

Banned
man, this game is great fun online. are PK wins supposed to count as draws, though? maybe I don't know the RULES, but that seems like BS. I'm 3-0-0, damnit, not 1-2-0!

Daigoro

ive seen you online a bunch of times Asrto, havent been able to contact you yet.

im using the name "mrt" online so far as my user profile. might change it for GAF related tourneys and stuff. (short names seem to be the best. i wish you could toggle them OFF online)

i finally won a few games online tonight. whoo!

im about to head off tonight though. going out to a pub/bar to watch US v Japan.

ill be back later tonight or tomorrow. hopefully i can catch up with some of you guys.

Osorio

My name is Osorio online. I was trying to get a game with you Astrolad, and Fifty was there too, but I guess you guys were just playing each other?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, huka was in there too earlier (lobby 3). I've seen you playing also Osorio. Basically if someone is grayed out they are playing (and you can even see the scores of all the current games in the lobby if you click on "Current Games" or something like that. I think I might be getting carpal tunnel from the last two days of WE so I had to bail but I'll be sure to catch you some time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'll be online tonight since my meetings were canceled b/c of the blizzard. :D I'll check back here between games to see if anyone posts since Hayami and I had some really fun games yesterday so I'd love to play even more GA folk.

Daigoro

ha. ggs yesterday Astrolad.

that first one was a mockery of all that is just and good in WE. we missed like 5 penalty kicks in a row after a greuling match. im suprised we found the enrgy to play on.

that last match between Inter and Juve was hot though. great game. i got beat but felt like i was at least playing well.

i didnt realize until after i logged off that i lost 3 in a row. hah. oops!

on to the GAF WC'06!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Daigoro said:
ha. ggs yesterday Astrolad.

that first one was a mockery of all that is just and good in WE. we missed like 5 penalty kicks in a row after a greuling match. im suprised we found the enrgy to play on.

that last match between Inter and Juve was hot though. great game. i got beat but felt like i was at least playing well.

i didnt realize until after i logged off that i lost 3 in a row. hah. oops!

on to the GAF WC'06!

Yeah those were quite fun games, last two really anyone could have won which is how I love it. :D And hey you're in my group, whoo! May be the Group of Death although I was pretty impressed with how the random distribution seemed to make pretty fair groups (at least from the little I know about the varying skill levels of those I haven't played yet.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Osorio said:
My name is Osorio online. I was trying to get a game with you Astrolad, and Fifty was there too, but I guess you guys were just playing each other?

Hey Osorio I must have just missed you b/c I saw your name in lobby 2.

Socreges

Banned
Just had my first couple matches with Erdrick (who is mysteriously not in the World Cup, unfortunately). Lots of fun. Good player. Loves the wing. ;) That one-time volley from the corner of the 18-yard-line off a cross was sweet, I wanted to mention that.

I should really get some sleep, but I have to keep playing. :)

Socreges

Banned
Ugghhh, that was fun, Daigoro, but Ive never felt so cheated in my life. :lol

I look forward to the World Cup where I will have my vengeance. ;)

Daigoro

Socreges said:
Ugghhh, that was fun, Daigoro, but Ive never felt so cheated in my life. :lol

I look forward to the World Cup where I will have my vengeance. ;)

it wasnt that bad. i worked hard and finally the ball went my way a few times. one good goal, a penalty that was all you, and one freak accident. thats football baby! :)

see ya at the cup.

Socreges

Banned
Daigoro said:
it wasnt that bad. i worked hard and finally the ball went my way a few times. one good goal, a penalty that was all you, and one freak accident. thats football baby! :)

see ya at the cup.
Pffft, there is no working hard in Winning Eleven, you just play well. No merit badges in this game, though youve proved that a relative lack of chances, a phantom PK, and a ridiculous bounce can win you games. ;) *fanning the flames*

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Socreges said:
Pffft, there is no working hard in Winning Eleven, you just play well. No merit badges in this game, though youve proved that a relative lack of chances, a phantom PK, and a ridiculous bounce can win you games. ;) *fanning the flames*

Well your merit badge is a win. I've had games where I outshoot people 16-1 and 10-0 on-target and tie 0-0 or 1-1 and I've certainly had games where I lose to people I outplayed in every facet, but hey it happens, just like in real football. In my 70 or so games of online experience, the better player in that game will at least tie ~85% of the time. Would love to see the brutal play in your guys' cup game now. What a rivalry! :D

Daigoro

Socreges said:

dont be a sore loser. :)

edit: phantom pk?! that was a tackle from behind in the box. be more carefull next time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Daigoro said:

edit: phantom pk?! that was a tackle from behind in the box. be more carefull next time.

Daigoro, can you make your country pick in the Cup thread? :)

Socreges

Banned
Daigoro said:
Oh please, dont twist it like that. Ive already lost to GAF players and gracefully so. :lol

Daigoro said:
No, my defender was running alongside your forward and while they jostled (as it happens in WE), yours fell. Penalty kick. It was lame.

Socreges

Banned
Daigoro said:
no offense, but that hasnt been my experience.
Pfffffffft. That first post was a light-hearted poke and you decided to go serious. I replied seriously (with the reality, mind you) and things have gone as they have. Tough beans. See you in the cup, son. Bring your A-game this time. ;)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nothing like a good rivalry to spice things up. I hope there will be several paramedics available for your cup game. We're talking England-Argentina level here.

Daigoro

Socreges said:
Pfffffffft. That first post was a light-hearted poke and you decided to go serious. I replied seriously (with the reality, mind you) and things have gone as they have. Tough beans. See you in the cup, son. Bring your A-game this time. ;)

whatever you say slick. you were uptight as soon as you got that loss, and everything you've said since (joking or not) has been anything but gracious.

you could have handled the loss better is all.

Socreges

Banned
Daigoro said:
whatever you say slick. you were uptight as soon as you got that loss, and everything you've said since (joking or not) has been anything but gracious.

you could have handled the loss better is all.
You cant be serious. You are the only one thats been uptight, pal. Anyway, enough of this for me. Ill keep my spoken word to you limited to Goal!, Yes!, and Good game. :)

Daigoro

Socreges said:
You cant be serious. You are the only one thats been uptight, pal. Anyway, enough of this for me. Ill keep my spoken word to you limited to Goal!, Yes!, and Good game. :)

no, you're right.

you handled the loss very graciously. from the moment i said good game and you responded "i disagree", to every post in this thread belittling my effort in that match.

you're a prick.

Daigoro

Daigoro said:
no, you're right.

you handled the loss very graciously. from the moment i said good game and you responded "i disagree", to every post in this thread belittling my effort in that match.

you're a prick.

oops, forgot this: :)

there we go.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I can hop on tonight if any GAF Folken want a game. My conn. has been pretty nice, but I'm not gonna bother to play w/ random people tonight. I wanna get some games in with Liverpool if anyone's interested in starting to practice w/ good teams. If anyone happens upon this I'll be home working until about 2 AM and can play any time.

bionic77

I hate how everyone online wants to play with Brazil.

I also played the 3rd ranked guy online last night and he had the most original formation I have seen yet. He made scoring look ridiculously easy too.

shoplifter

Just played 2 matches online and the guys I played combined for nearly 30 fouls to my 10 in two 10m matches. You guys weren't kidding when you said people would just foul like mad.

It's ok cause i won both. :lol I set up some snarky macros for those guys (who had macros like '@#% WTF' and 'YOU SUCK'.)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
shoplifter said:
Just played 2 matches online and the guys I played combined for nearly 30 fouls to my 10 in two 10m matches. You guys weren't kidding when you said people would just foul like mad.

It's ok cause i won both. :lol I set up some snarky macros for those guys (who had macros like '@#% WTF' and 'YOU SUCK'.)

Haha, sounds like you played some real a-holes. Though in fairness when I get annoyed or bored once in a while I just start fouling like crazy, just ask fifty. :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
shoplifter said:
Well, the second match he was up 1-0 and was fouling like mad, it only got worse when I went up on him :)

Oh I'll bet. Thing about fouling though is it's just very risky even if you're trying to use it strategically half of the dead-on slide tackles seem to have no effect at all.

Socreges

Banned
bionic77 said:
I hate how everyone online wants to play with Brazil.

I also played the 3rd ranked guy online last night and he had the most original formation I have seen yet. He made scoring look ridiculously easy too.
Oooooooh, what was his formation like? What was the final score?

I was challenged last night by this guy NINHO (40 w, 20 L or something). I created the game, so I chose clubs. He then went and chose Brazil. I said *club* and he said *NO*. :lol Instead of arguing with him, I just went ahead and played his Brazil with AC Milan.

Ive played at least 1/3 of my games vs Brazil. If it wasnt for GAF, that would be 1/2. Terrible. They arent even interesting to play. They just throw the ball downfield with triangle and hope that Ronaldo or Ronaldinho run onto it. Virtually every goal scored against me is on a counter-attack breakaway, whereas I have a much different build-up game. Oy.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Seriously whenever I pick a national team (against people w/ good records who obviously care) 1/2 the time it's brazil for national and 1/2 the time it's ACM with clubs. Better to play gaf people or random people than the top 100 guys if you're looking for variety.

I just had a pair of lag-free matches against the number 8 rank. First game I held him to a close tie (which he won in pks later on) by basically playing hard defense and hitting my strikers for the fast breaks. I had a few nice build-ups in for good measure, which usually ended in him fouling me or me loosing it before the shot. I get get over how much this game rocks online. Anyway, the second match he killed me 4-0. :lol

bionic77

Socreges said:
Oooooooh, what was his formation like? What was the final score?

I was challenged last night by this guy NINHO (40 w, 20 L or something). I created the game, so I chose clubs. He then went and chose Brazil. I said *club* and he said *NO*. :lol Instead of arguing with him, I just went ahead and played his Brazil with AC Milan.

Ive played at least 1/3 of my games vs Brazil. If it wasnt for GAF, that would be 1/2. Terrible. They arent even interesting to play. They just throw the ball downfield with triangle and hope that Ronaldo or Ronaldinho run onto it. Virtually every goal scored against me is on a counter-attack breakaway, whereas I have a much different build-up game. Oy.

The formation is hard to describe and it was 100% offensive minded. You can definitely score on the guy, but his formation just raped my defense to a degree I never saw before in WE. He had like 5 guys surrounding the box very tightly and everyone else was moved in my side. I think he had 3 in my box and the other two were on my side near the halfway line.

And don't get me started on everyone using Brazil. Their play definitely gets old. Their goal are almost never interesting. I would much rather use some middling teams and have every goal be off of a spectacular move, pass, or combination of the two. Honestly I had so much more fun playing everyone on GAF (even though I lost every bloody match!).

To add to the Brazil stories, I had one tool play a 3-1-6 against me (vs. freakin' Manchester City). I didnt realize it at first as I wasnt paying attention to the formation screen before the game started. He put his entire midfield and strikers up front, left poor Roberto all alone in midfield and basically turned the thing into a Brazilian 100 yard dash. Holy crap that caught me off guard. He went up 2-0 in the first 10 minutes, I just didnt know what the hell was going on until I hit the formation screen again. I adjusted my settings to play back and counter everything hard on the wideopen flanks. I ended up drawing him 3-3 and promptly put him on my blocked list. :lol

Top Bottom