• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noragami Episode 5
tumblr_n0e4ctmDFQ1rq5fzso1_500.gif

Im glad they are tackling partially this one plot point early on, about his feeling of belonging and being needed but to tie it up with fears and then embracing some level of understanding how things are and making a mature decision, managed to make it best episode of the week.
Wished the flashbacks through Yukine past lasted a bit longer to try to figure out what happened, but it seems it was fear and also not having a key figure in his life potentially? I wonder if he did get over the dark thing but things seemed to intense and he potentially fainted for a bit. Hopefully Yato steps it up...and please dont have to kill him someday

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Some interesting and weird results in there.

- For the second year in a row, a show you can only see illegally won overall show and by an even bigger margin this time.
- Kill la Kill was #2 overall but not #2 with AnimeGAF, even though you could no see it dubbed.

what does a dub have to do with anything?

Branduil

Maybe I'm super late to the party but here's the PV for BrainsBase's Spring anime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZvQtV2ijHM

http://oneweekfriends.com/

High schooler Yūki Hase notices that his classmate Kaori Fujimiya is always alone, and seemingly has no friends. After approaching her Kaori reveals that she loses every memory of her friends each Monday. Despite learning this, Yūki endeavors to become her new friend every week.

I don't know anything about the manga but it looks and sounds promising. Especially since there's no sign of Adam Sandler! I expect there will be boatloads of :firehawk*.

Also this better not be another 4-minute anime bait-and-switch.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
A screencap of anichart.net!

You want the OP to look less professional than it does? :lol

That wouldn't require you to go out of your way? No. Oh! Unless you have access to knowledge of planned mecha anime for this year, cuz that's something I want to know about.

I'm really not the one to ask about upcoming shows. I'm going to pass the ball to Articalys or one of our Japanese resident posters on this one.

DiGiKerot

The lack of Rozen Maiden in the rankings wasn't a huge surprise. A more serious reimagining of a show long passed into memetic folklore in the West, with a completely bizarre first episode, mostly guaranteed people wouldn't watch it in the first place let alone vote for it.

I wonder why duckroll's enthusiasm, rather than firehawk's or DTL's, was the tipping point in Yamato's favour?

Timing? I mean, I'd been meaning to get to it once it was finished anyway, but all that chatter just happened to coincide with most of the shows I was watching taking an extended break over the New Year period. I can't have been the only one to watch it to fill in the gap, surely?

(Also, no offence meant, but there's so little overlap between my and DTL's taste in cartoons that I tend not to pay too much attention to his recommendations ^^;)

BluWacky

Because it coincided with the show actually being released and subbed?

But firehawk and DTL were watching it as it "aired" for months (if not a whole year!) beforehand. I mean, personally speaking, I can't rely on their recommendations because I don't generally share their opinions on shows, but firehawk in particular has been praising the show for months now!

Gazoinks

The lack of Rozen Maiden in the rankings wasn't a huge surprise. A more serious reimagining of a show long passed into memetic folklore in the West, with a completely bizarre first episode, mostly guaranteed people wouldn't watch it in the first place let alone vote for it.

I wonder why duckroll's enthusiasm, rather than firehawk's or DTL's, was the tipping point in Yamato's favour?

For me it was more Jexhius' posts about the art direction that really made me watch the show.

survivor

Banned
Maybe I'm super late to the party but here's the PV for BrainsBase's Spring anime:

I don't know anything about the manga but it looks and sounds promising. Especially since there's no sign of Adam Sandler! I expect there will be boatloads of :firehawk*.

This trailer made it seem pretty serious, but from what I remember from the manga it was a 4koma mixed in with some regular pages. I wonder if it wasn't full comedy, can't recall the tone of the manga that well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
But firehawk and DTL were watching it as it "aired" for months (if not a whole year!) beforehand. I mean, personally speaking, I can't rely on their recommendations because I don't generally share their opinions on shows, but firehawk in particular has been praising the show for months now!

I think the timing was prefect, the first real waves came as the fall season was ending and people needing a series to watch.

Crocodile

Well my impression was that the non animeGAF people are just Toonami people / people who only watch dubs.

What? I'm not sure I understand the poiint you're trying to make. None of the anime voted for in the Anime of the Year thread have dubs yet. That's been true every year since we are only talking about anime hot off the TV/Movie screens in Japan. The entire voting population, regardless of whether or not they are part of AnimeGaf, have no problem watching subs.

Well my impression was that the non animeGAF people are just Toonami people / people who only watch dubs.

Nah I'd say most not animeGAF people are people who only watch the 1-2 big series a year along with maybe their favorite long running shonen in Japanese. Toonami/Dub fans I'd say are a smaller minority as most people would rather marathon ahead or "sub > dub" instead of watching a series weekly that's finished or 400 episodes ahead.

Heck as Crocodile said, all the anime that aired new in 2013 don't have a dub, next year will be the first time dub only watchers could actually vote in AotY thanks to Space Dandy

Branduil

Space Dandy has viewer penetration thanks to Toonami, but I don't think it has enough people passionately supportive of it to get it to the top of AOTY 2014, at least not so far.

If there's anything KLK and AoT have shown this year it's that tons and tons of people watching a show helps a lot more than passion.

I mean, if 10 people watch Rozen Maiden, and 100 watch Kill la Kill, even if only 50% of people liked KLK, it would still five times as many votes as Rozen Maiden at its best.

Space Dandy will be the first show with all of ToonamiGAF able to see it and vote for it. Obviously some ToonamiGAF posters watch subbed anime, but there is still a significant portion that doesn't.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nah I'd say most not animeGAF people are people who only watch the 1-2 big series a year along with maybe their favorite long running shonen in Japanese. Toonami/Dub fans I'd say are a smaller minority as most people would rather marathon ahead or "sub > dub" instead of watching a series weekly that's finished or 400 episodes ahead.

Heck as Crocodile said, all the anime that aired new in 2013 don't have a dub, next year will be the first time dub only watchers could actually vote in AotY thanks to Space Dandy
Yeah, there are people who watch anime but don't show up in the thread.

CorvoSol

Unicorn is late May and Earth is April.

Ah, not that far off, then.

You want the OP to look less professional than it does? :lol

I'm really not the one to ask about upcoming shows. I'm going to pass the ball to Articalys or one of our Japanese resident posters on this one.

Yeah, I didn't have much else in the way of requests though, haha.

Out of those that is upcoming title are
Captain Earth
Daimdamler
not-zafuul (forgot the title)
Sidonia no Kishi
Break Blade reboot

So which name goes to which picture?

Also a reboot of Break Blade sounds interesting. I wonder if they can make Queen Sigyn less of a skank this time around.

Gazoinks

Hey guys, how's the quality of the Princess Tutu dub? I assume everyone's going to tell me to watch the sub, but I thought I'd ask. :p

cajunator

Banned
I worded that a bit weirdly, Humi is the character designer for Garupan and creator of Strike Witches. Saki is drawn by some other wise person who doesn't like panties at all.

Zach you are so awesome. I will just draw you something that you really like one of these days it's going to happen. Something with cat ears and heart pupils and other zachy things.

OceanBlue

This trailer made it seem pretty serious, but from what I remember from the manga it was a 4koma mixed in with some regular pages. I wonder if it wasn't full comedy, can't recall the tone of the manga that well.
That's what wonzo said when the news first came out. The PV is such a contrast that I have hope it'll be different again!

I hope BrainsBase is going for something drastically different than the manga then, because I have hard time imagining a dramatic 4koma.
Same. I don't mind if it keeps comedy from time to time, but the PV makes me crave something with a little more drama.

I'm still not sure what episode 4 of Sekai Seifuku was supposed to be. Was it just the show's way of saying, "Don't worry about all of the questions about Natasha's past. She's left them behind and you should too!"? :<

Crocodile

If there's anything KLK and AoT have shown this year it's that tons and tons of people watching a show helps a lot more than passion.

I mean, if 10 people watch Rozen Maiden, and 100 watch Kill la Kill, even if only 50% of people liked KLK, it would still five times as many votes as Rozen Maiden at its best.

Space Dandy will be the first show with all of ToonamiGAF able to see it and vote for it. Obviously some ToonamiGAF posters watch subbed anime, but there is still a significant portion that doesn't.

It took this year's AotY results to show you this? Or are you just holding it as a especially powerful example (I don't think it really is)? I mean I feel like it should be something that's been obvious for years and applies to like every medium. Exposure matters! Nobody can talk about how good X is if they don't even know X exists. "Selling hooks" also really matter. Much easier to sell "The last traces of humanity has to fight against giant zombies" than "a shut-in learns valuable life lessons from living dolls" to the general populace (or whatever Rozen Maiden is about :p).

Link Man

Banned
Hey guys, how's the quality of the Princess Tutu dub? I assume everyone's going to tell me to watch the sub, but I thought I'd ask. :p
I thought the show itself was a bit boring and somewhat repetitive, and the humor fell flat with me a lot. But then, I've never really gotten into magical girl anime.

I'm sorry, GAF.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I decided the AotY should look professional (as far as a post on a forum can be), but I was really really tempted to use this as a banner for AoT.

infernobanner.gif

(Wait 20 seconds)

Gazoinks

I thought the show itself was a bit boring and somewhat repetitive, and the humor fell flat with me a lot. But then, I've never really gotten into magical girl anime.

I'm sorry, GAF.

YOU MONSTER.

I'm not much into magical girl anime either, but I've heard good things about Tutu so I want to check it out.

cnet128

Banned

I really like the look of this. Hope it's good (and as you say, not short-form >.<)

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 40

Urara focus episode. Are we into the final focus episodes for each character now? Because this felt like a fairly big culmination for Urara's whole arc.

Also in this episode, all the Cures got to be mermaids, which is fun. See, mushroom crone, you are useful for something occasionally! And this time the story you chose was actually kind of relevant, even! So, uh, can you quit while you're ahead and die now?

Jarmel

Banned
It's not a reboot; it's a reedit of the movies into a TV series with a new fight added.

Out of those that is upcoming title are
Captain Earth
Daimdamler
not-zafuul (forgot the title)
Sidonia no Kishi
Break Blade reboot

Too bad Sidonia no Kishi looks like shit. The premise is super interesting but god damn does it look awful.

It's not a reboot; it's a reedit of the movies into a TV series with a new fight added.

God damn it.

Theonik

Space&#9734;Dandy 05
An actually good episode? I don't even.
This is not possible. I am confused. How.
Hopefully she turns into a recurring character.

CorvoSol

Project A-Ko 3

C-Ko is literally mentally impaired. I honestly don't know why anyone would like her, and since K's penis replaces her and burns SDBurton's Garden to the ground, I'd say that no one, A-Ko or B-Ko, really likes C-Ko either.

Because C-Ko fucking sucks. Like holy shit, what a bratty, idiotic sleezeball she was this episode. Replacing her with a boy actually seriously would improve things, however slightly, because then there might be someone to fight over.

But C-Ko? God DAMN. C-Ko is so positively repulsive.

cajunator

Banned
Robot Girls Z 02

Another great episode All 3 segments were hilarious in their own way from
Getter vs Mazinger rivalries
to
cross-dressing Minerva X
to
The last episode's erotic singing
and not to forget
Grenda's "Arararararararara" death cry
AOTY

will definitely set aside time on tuesday.

j4nB1f8.png

I need this episode. NOW.

=============================================

No-Rin - 04

So grateful AnimeGaf convinced me to check this show out. Definitely one of my favorites for this season.

Yuri yu ra ra ra yuri yuri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom