• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Non Non Biyori is pretty low, but I'm glad it's up there.

yeah. There is a kami-sama!

OK folks, here are the AnimeGAF-filtered results:

TV top 10:

1. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 520
2. The Eccentric Family - 313
3. The Flowers of Evil - 269
4. Kill la Kill - 257
5. Gundam Build Fighters - 215
6. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - 207
7. Monogatari S2 - 167
8. Hataraku Maou-sama - 165
9. From the New World - 149
10. Kyousougiga - 143

11-20:

11. Attack on Titan - 128
12. Love Lab - 123
13. Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta - 121
14. Valvrave the Liberator - 119
15. Non Non Biyori - 118
16. Suisei no Gargantia - 103
17. Log Horizon - 101
18. Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen - 97
19. Girls und Panzer - 94
20. Hunter x Hunter - 87

Movie/OVA 1-3:

1. The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki - 130
2. Little Witch Academia - 88
3. The Garden of Words - 30

4-6:

4. Gintama: Be Forever Yorozuya - 23
5. Blue Exorcist movie - 18
6. Gundam Unicorn - 14

non non biyori too low. But the list overall is pretty solid.

The one thing I'm most surprised about is the presence of Hataraku Maou-sama in both lists. Was that actually good? All I ever heard in reference to it was ChihoEmiChihoEmiChihoEmiChihoEmiChihoEmiChihoEmiChihoEmi so I assumed it was just, y'know, one of those shows.

Team Chiho ♥♥

non non biyori too low. But the list overall is pretty solid.

Well maybe you should have voted…

You didn't vote?

fZCanao.jpg

Gbraga

Sakura Trick 4 was so cuuuuuuuuuute

I can't take this anymore (≧◡≦) (≧◡≦) (≧◡≦) (≧◡≦) (≧◡≦)

EDIT: I didn't watch the 2 first on the list (I intend to, though) but Non Non Biyori is a lot better than anything else there :C

How does one determine who is and isn't AnimeGAF based on the filtered results? Number of posts in this thread?

I still don't get how Yozakura Quartet is so low on both lists. ;-;

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 41

And I guess this was Rin's final focus episode, in which she learns the TRUE MEANING OF ACCESSORIES. No, really, that was the plot of this episode. It was actually kind of sweet, particularly thanks to the adorableness of the little girl who helped Rin to have her eureka moment.

Also in this episode, Momoi-san's facade was finally broken, thanks to a little help from...Bunbee. Well, can't really blame the guy, it's not like he has any reason to help Eternal out after what happened last episode! Momoi-san wasn't doing the greatest job of keeping his disguise convincing today even without Bunbee's help, anyway - giving Rin evil motivational speeches about how she should only think of herself, and not-very-subtly trying to get her to tell him all her friends' weaknesses. Ah well, even the best villains have to slip up sometime.

How does one determine who is and isn't AnimeGAF based on the filtered results? Number of posts in this thread?

Here:
Basically, if it was someone I didn't recognize, I went through their post history to see if they'd made any posts here in the past ~2 months. If they had, they were included. It's completely informal and unscientific, but I also wanted to avoid the idea of "you must post THIS MANY times to be a TRUE animegaffer". This felt like the appropriate minimum baseline for participation.

cajunator

Banned
It had a lot of good reaction shots and it seemed to be a sort of loving send-up of classic fantasy anime. It was nice enough.

#TeamEmi

I honestly enjoyed Yuusibu more. Its a more fun show overall with a surprisingly similar premise. And it has Fino and she is perfect.

Date A Live: 06

Hot Springs episode had about 10 seconds of hot springs. Instead, ridiculous battle time! Hurray!

I loved that about this episode. It didnt actually bother with hot springs bullshit it focused on action.
it was refreshing. Really good episode.

OceanBlue

Space Dandy 5

By far my favorite episode of the show's run so far. I love stories like this, and I've come away from it with far more respect for Dandy as a character, because I can't remember other times where he comes off as sympathetic. Adelle is a really cute character as well. In my opinion, I wish the chase scene didn't take as long as it did, but it wasn't a really big deal and I loved the montages and the scene at the carnival or whatever. What a great episode.

Edit: Oh, and as Defuser mentioned, dat Hanakana.

BluWacky

Hey guys, how's the quality of the Princess Tutu dub? I assume everyone's going to tell me to watch the sub, but I thought I'd ask. :p

The Princess Tutu dub is pretty good, if only for the extra included on the DVD release where the actress playing the lead character specifically asks if she can watch the final scene of the series and they filmed her reaction. Given that the character in question spends huge amount of the series flapping about
in several senses
she does a very good job; the other actors aren't bad either.

The Japanese VA for the show is very good as well, but the dub wouldn't be ear torture essentially.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hey Valvrave The Liberator fans. Did you know if your fellow fans had followed the rules then it would have ranked number 19 in the AotY charts?

And Log Horizon would have beaten Kyousogiga but that's not really as interesting.

Oh and Steins;Gate would have knocked Gundam Unicorn out of the top 6.

CorvoSol

Getter Robo 39

I'm gonna tell you straight up: I'm more or less tired of this show. I don't think anime has any business running for 52 episodes 9/10ths of the time, and when those 52 episodes are ALL Monster of the Week I really have no idea how someone doesn't really lose their mind. Getter Robo is an incredibly formulaic, dated, archaic piece of anime. A lot of the time you know how an episode is going to end (and indeed exactly how the entirety of the plot is going to play out) before the first 10 minutes have ended. Emperor Gore's competence varies greatly upon the week, and character development is all but nonexistent (characterization abounds, but the infuriating need to return to the status quo at the end of the episode means that Hayato, Ryo, and Musashi are all more or less exactly the same guys they were when the show began, and that there has been no significant changes to the dynamics of their relationships, in spite of the many adventures they've been through.)

Having said that, the true beauty of the classic Mecha series is that every once in like, 15 episodes you will find an episode that is far, far better than the rest. For Gundam it's moments like the battle with Ramba Ral or Amuro meeting Lalah. In Macross it's things like Misa's
final
conversation with her father or Focker going to see Claudia's cake
when he's literally dying.
In Getter Robo, the only episodes of this nature have been Michiru's mother's fear of the Dinosaur planes dredging up memories of the War, and the tragedy of Getter Queen.

Allow me to add, then, this episode about Shiori to the mix. By rights it should be a shit episode. It's what, the 4th time that the writers used "beautiful woman gets close to a Getter guy only to turn out to be a member of the Dinosaur Empire" as the plot for an entire episode. It ends EXACTLY the same way all of the other ones do
with her betraying the DE for the Getter's sake and dying shortly thereafter.
Where the Getter Queen episode succeeded with this plot was in establishing Gora as a bridge between humanity and dinosaurs, and showing that both Professor Saotome AND Emperor Gore were in terrible agony over her circumstances
Gore was absolved of a lot of the horrible stuff he did in that episode by the revelation shortly thereafter that he had no choice, because Demon King Ura is pulling his strings.

Shiori works because the show punches you in the gut and doesn't stop. It's not the sudden, sharp pain of the Getter Queen episode, this is a constant struggle to hold back your manly tears. We meet her traveling with her 70 year old grandfather up a volcano to where her father is buried. Gramps reveals to Hayato that Shiori, though only 15, is dying of cancer, and has pretty much no time left. They reach the grave and Hayato can't hold back his tears. We're talking Hayato, who is a vicious, arrogant, smug bastard. And he has to walk away from that grave so no one can see that he can't keep it in as the grandfather laments that his son and granddaughter both will die before he does
at which point an earthquake kills him before Shiori.

Later in the episode, General Batto proves he's no slouch, and rips the dying girl into pieces, and puts those pieces in a robot. He orders her to do all kinds of nasty things for him, and the plot plays out as per usual. Batto defeated, Shiori is alive for one more brief moment before she is simply shot by a Dinosaur. As Hayato rescues her body from the lake, though, Michiru arrives, with a letter from the deceased. In it, Shiori confesses that she would gladly live again as a dying girl if it meant another chance to see Hayato. She requests that she be buried alongside her father and grandfather, and that Hayato play his harmonica one last time for her.

The choice of Hayato, I think, is a good one for this episode, because unlike Ryoma or Musashi, Hayato doesn't run on hotblooded good spirits. He's a pretty obviously messed up guy, and what happens to Shiori actually effects him in a subtle, not over the top kind of way.

NeonZ

A random oddity about the new Keroro anime. They changed Natsumi's hair color, from red to pink hair.

Even Yoshizaki Mine, the manga author, also seems to be drawing her with pink hair now to match the new anime, in spite of many years of red haired Natsumi.

I'm gonna tell you straight up: I'm more or less tired of this show. I don't think anime has any business running for 52 episodes 9/10ths of the time, and when those 52 episodes are ALL Monster of the Week I really have no idea how someone doesn't really lose their mind. Getter Robo is an incredibly formulaic, dated, archaic piece of anime. A lot of the time you know how an episode is going to end (and indeed exactly how the entirety of the plot is going to play out) before the first 10 minutes have ended. Emperor Gore's competence varies greatly upon the week, and character development is all but nonexistent (characterization abounds, but the infuriating need to return to the status quo at the end of the episode means that Hayato, Ryo, and Musashi are all more or less exactly the same guys they were when the show began, and that there has been no significant changes to the dynamics of their relationships, in spite of the many adventures they've been through.)

That's actually something that surprised me about the original Mazinger Z series. It was episodic and actually ran for two years, rather than just one, but events from one episode often seemed to stick, and even get referenced later, rather than just get completely forgotten next week.

An episode where the lab was destroyed could lead to a couple of episodes where the lab was getting rebuilt. In spite of always having monsters of the week, every single week, starting from the 30s, it sometimes had small 3-4 episode arcs during a few special events (like the Scrander's debut, Dr.Hell finally obtaining some Super Alloy Z, or Duke Gorgom's awakening). Each episode had their own monster, but it carried plotlines through them in those small arcs, tying them together, and they just increase while the show advances. Starting from around episode 68, and running up to the ending of the show, there are only a few episodes where the status quo is completely frozen.

The first 15 or so episodes are very rough animation-wise though, even compared to Getter Robo.

Gazoinks

Nobunagun 5
x3qdsLvl.jpg

This isn't even subtext anymore

Why is everyone on this team so lewd. This show is at its best, in my opinion, when it's focusing on the interactions between the characters. That's pretty fun, but I start tuning out whenever they get to the actual alien-fighting business.

X-COM Dogoo mod when.

I shouldn't have been surprised that KLK made the #2 spot. It makes sense considering its popularity, and yet, here I am.

Rozen Maiden was robbed!

I dont vote in these. I like too many shows to rank them. Not that one vote would have put nnb higher to begin with. I cant even make a solid top ten list beyond top 3.

Yeah, it's pretty hard for me to rank all the shows I watch too. My top ten is something that would be prone to changing a lot.

cajunator

Banned
It could be interesting to see how the votes that got discounted due to lack of comments would have effected things, but eh, can't be arsed now.

see if I voted my comments woul be how shows make me feel. I would just say "this show made me squee" over and over.

Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda - 04

Natasha focused episode. Here's hoping the next one is about Plamya-sama!

Plamya is #2. Kate is too much of a moenuke. So adorable and top tier.

survivor

Banned
Oniisama e 4
Oh how I hate Mariko so much right. Deceiving asshole ruining Nanako and Tomoko's friendship.

That and the BrainsBase thing which I'm just assuming is 4 minutes now since it's a 4koma and that's the only way you can adapt those now apparently.
Keep in mind the manga has actual regular pages with addition to the 4koma parts. So it's not guaranteed 4 minutes show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom