• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
the world needs a hummingbirdgraph like malgaph now more than ever

Yep. Much easier to use MALgraph.

SwNsIGd.png

I don't want to count 754 items.

Articalys

I stopped giving ratings to most shows I watch because it's not worth it to sort out what I think deserves an 8/10 versus a 7/10 versus a 6/10; the lines blur too much. The only stuff I single out are the shows that I love and are clearly above the rest for me, 9's and 10's. It makes the average rating look hilariously lopsided due to all the blank ratings, but eh.

The other benefit is that I'll pretty much keep the "I love Chinese cartoons" achievement from MALgraph permanently.

I stopped giving ratings to most shows I watch because it's not worth it to sort out what I think deserves an 8/10 versus a 7/10; the lines blur too much. The only stuff I single out are the shows that I really love.

I enjoy the meta-game of lowering a show's rating after a bad episode too much to forgo it altogether, even if the ratings are arbitrary. That and I like the stat tracking. Looking at graphs of how I wasted my time is why I use MAL.

Branduil

I stopped giving ratings to most shows I watch because it's not worth it to sort out what I think deserves an 8/10 versus a 7/10; the lines blur too much. The only stuff I single out are the shows that I really love, 9's and 10's. It makes the average rating look hilariously lopsided due to all the blank ratings, but eh.

But putting things in categories is the otaku way.

I view it as 5 stars=Masterpiece, 4 stars=Great, 3 stars=Enjoyable, 2 stars=Bad, 1 star= Abomination. Half-stars can be used for stuff that's not quite at the next category. And if I don't like the score I gave, I can always change it later. :polygon

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I stopped giving ratings to most shows I watch because it's not worth it to sort out what I think deserves an 8/10 versus a 7/10 versus a 6/10; the lines blur too much. The only stuff I single out are the shows that I love and are clearly above the rest for me, 9's and 10's. It makes the average rating look hilariously lopsided due to all the blank ratings, but eh.

The other benefit is that I'll pretty much keep the "I love Chinese cartoons" achievement from MALgraph permanently.
That's why the three point system is better. Liked, indifferent and disliked, it's all you need.

Jarmel

Banned
My average rating is 7.1. I view it as stuff like the American grading system where something in the 70's range is a C/average and anything below that is a F.

I wish I could give .5's though.

cajunator

Banned
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's Episode 11:

Sweet dreams are made of these, who am I to disagree, I travel the world and the seven seas, every body it looking for something. Some of them want to abuse you some of them want to be abused by you.

This is ambiguous but Im gonna call it positive.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's Episode 11:

Sweet dreams are made of these, who am I to disagree, I travel the world and the seven seas, every body it looking for something. Some of them want to abuse you some of them want to be abused by you.

I can't yet decide if I hate or love you right now.

Articalys

That's why the three point system is better. Liked, indifferent and disliked, it's all you need.
Yeah, but at that point you're sacrificing granularity just for the sake of being able to categorize everything. Then again, I guess I'm kind of doing that too since anything I dislike I normally don't even bother to finish, so it gets sorted that way.

Well, everyone does things their own way, I guess.

Branduil

I can make a case for 10 points of granularity, but I don't know how much more you could use. Certainly the 100-point scale some video game review sites like to use is absurd and indecipherable.

Narag

Well I just got lazy in regards to updating Hummingbird.

Jeez I really left it hanging

You can export your MAL list to a file if you have one and update hummingbird with that apparently. Not as nice as it was before MAL's API changes but oh well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Twitter is actually useful for finding people who share your interests. Facebook is only good for feeling like you want to shoot yourself in the face between the endless churn of dated macros and reddit memes, baby pictures, and raging political dumbfuckery.
But what about #jointheconversation with @SonyCES. lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
ANN got it right here, actually.

10 - A Masterpiece, exquisite beyond words
9 - Excellent, should be in anyone's collection
8 - Very good, don't miss it
7 - Good, worth seeing
6 - Decent, I didn't lose my time
5 - So-so, it didn't really grab my attention
4 - Not really good, but not a total waste either
3 - Weak, I wish I'd done something better with my time
2 - Bad, really not recommended
1 - Awful, should be avoided at all costs
(There's a 0 but let's omit it. I used it as a special spite category anyway.)

This also maps to A (10-9) B (8-7) C (6-5) D (4-3) F (2-1), while giving upper and lower categories of each. As it happens, this also maps neatly to HB's 5 star system.

Jarmel

Banned
The way I rate a show is the actual words, like if I felt the show was "Fine" after watching it, then I give it a 6 or if I think it was "Very Good" then it gets an 8. Anything below 6 though is pretty much dog shit in my eyes and it's like comparing piles of turds next to each other, asking which smells better.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The way I rate a show is the actual words, like if I felt the show was "Fine" after watching it, then I give it a 6 or if I think it was "Very Good" then it gets an 8. Anything below 6 though is pretty much dog shit in my eyes and it's like comparing piles of turds next to each other, asking which smells better.
So like IGN? ;)

fertygo

I can do it for some of the ratings, but the difference between a 2 and 3? I have no idea. And the only things I've given 1s are Eiken and the Loliball OVA.

I rate my most hated anime "2", I can't enjoy that shit from start to end.. but I can't really give 1 one unless its a production mess like Mars of Destruction lol

3. depend on stuff if at leas I'm enjoying few eps and got giggle from those bad anime, so its not all bad.. 4 is almost acceptable

5 for totally average anime, not really bad but its just boring

6 decent title that I'm enjoyed, but not really standout, 7 is just barely enough to call it objectively good.

8 : pretty good and well made.

9 : just a little more "oomph" for me to call it masterpiece, best case of this Yamato 2199 for me, I dislike the ending so its not perfect for me.. couple of bad distraction/episode also could make this point.

10: Perfect, I have no complaint to it.. and also I have one arbitrary requirement, its must made me feel raw emotion with watching it (crying, fuck yeah moment, or just really satisfied)

I rate my most hated anime "2", I can't enjoy that shit from start to end.. but I can't really give 1 one unless its a production mess like Mars of Destruction lol

But Mars of Destruction was entertaining. I gave it an 8.

My scoring is mostly:

10 = One of my favorite shows/films, not perfect because that doesn't exist
9 = One of the best shows of the year
8 = Very good
7 = Flawed, but still more enjoyable than not
6 = Ok, it has its moments of entertainment. I usually give this to things I think are boring, but not bad.
5 = Average. Not terrible, but not interesting

Below that, I just grade based on how disgusted I am or how much I dislike a show/film. I don't use 2s and 3s as much as I should.

duckroll

I personally feel that 10 point scales for artistic critique is totally pointless. The smaller the scale is, the better. A 2 point scale is good for very general recommendations if you're basically telling people if you are recommending it or not. If we want something more in-depth, a 4 point scale basically serves all practical purposes. Two levels for stuff which is deemed average or below (so 1/4 is plain bad, 2/4 is merely average), and two levels for stuff which is above average (3/4 is good, 4/4 is great).

Beyond this sort of scale, it becomes very contrived I think and has little benefit for both the audience and the critic. When writing a critique of something, the expression of opinion in the text is the most important part. When it comes to using a scale, it should be as simple as possible so the critic doesn't have to waste time thinking too hard about whether something is a 6.5 or a 7, or maaaaybe a 7.5. These are needless complexities which also don't benefit the reader because it encourages a culture of comparing numerical differences over the larger picture.

In most cases when it comes to creative works, valid direct comparisons are rare. You can have 10 different shows which are considered fairly good, but for very different reasons. That makes them worth watching for anyone who is interested in the material presented in each of the shows themselves. They don't need to be compared or even calculated to be a 6.5, a 7.0, a 7.5, etc. That actually makes no practical difference and takes focus away from actually reading what someone has to say why it is recommended.

Having a larger scale just results in stupid arguments where people go "well I agree that it's good, but I don't agree that it's a 7.5, I think it's more of a 7.0 personally..." or someone else going "you're crazy, anything below a 8.5 is nonsense, the show was great!". Stuff like that comes off as really childish. Like seriously, it's whogivesafuck.gif territory.

Theonik

Anything more than 3 rating points, is probably completely useless. 5 is pushing it. 4 is probably enough for (sucks, ok, good, watch that shit) which is all people should care about.

I already have AnimeGAF for my 'shit nobody needs to know I say' needs.

Except my irl friends who are in NeoGAF and know where I lurk. Good thing they never come to this thread.
Or so you think!

Anything more than 3 rating points. Completely useless. 5 is pushing it. 4 is probably enough for (sucks, ok, good, watch that shit) which is all people should care about.

4 is what I'd go with for a serious review. More than 5 is pointless. But for anime scores that no one else looks at, I don't care if it's arbitrary.

Articalys

Yeah, in the end, I think that it's generally just that if someone wants to know how I feel about a show I'd rather tell them directly than them just looking up a number I gave it.

Reknoc

I rate all my anime with a satisfying nod, the more nods the better it is whereas no nods would mean I didn't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom