• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection releasing on June 6

Melchiah

always keep forgetting that PS3 version of WipEout HD has photomode. Game still looks astonishing:

It does. Here's some of my old screenshots.

tXaLjb.jpg

T8hZ3H.jpg

Planet

I just would have loved them to remix the campaign, absolutely loathed jumping up and down speed classes from one race to another. Should really have been like the classics: start low, master that, then advance to the next class and never look back. Rinse, dry, repeat.

I really wish XDev could collaborate with some of the old blood at Firesprite to add an expansion similar to Fury, an "Omega" expansion if you will. Sony has collaborated with the folks at Firesprite before.

missile

It does. Here's some of my old screenshots.
Would be cool if they could improve on the photomode a bit like display a
realtime defocus and trying to display the bounds of the DOF to better adjust
for what will be in focus and what not before rendering a high quality one.

Similar to

BmRQdpU.png

where the red and blue lines "bound" the DOF and with the green one in focus.

Unknown?

I'm going to have to preorder. Anyone wanna bet physical gets undershipped like NiOh and Gravity Rush 2? Because I'm pretty positive it will be!

Brilliant. I miss Designers Republic.

Btw fellow WipEout fans, if you have not played or heard of Thumper yet, I strongly implore you to try it. To me, it is WipEout's spiritual successor.

I love thumper but that is a rhythm game through and through rather than having anything to do with racing. Doesn't mean people shouldn't get up on it but it doesn't have very much to do with wipeout.

always keep forgetting that PS3 version of WipEout HD has photomode. Game still looks astonishing:

Ah yes I always forget PS3 had a few photo mode enabled games but nothing at the OS level so you have to manually export games to the desktop. motor storm pacific rift :( GT5 and wipeout HD were the games I recall getting some heavy useage on my system.

c1m

Neo Member
The Xdev Twitter account keeps asking people to figure it out themselves basically, but it's confirmed to be unavailable in the US.
How is it possible that Xdev themeselves don't know much about it and how are people supposed to find it out? Basically I can't pre-order the game right now because I want the steelbook edition. I haven't seen any UK/EU store offering one yet.

How is it possible that Xdev themeselves don't know much about it and how are people supposed to find it out? Basically I can't pre-order the game right now because I want the steelbook edition. I haven't seen any UK/EU store offering one yet.

I think if you go back the last few pages there's a bunch of different recommendations of retailers with the steelbook.

Laranja

There are indeed some nice deals for UK/EU but they don't mention anything about steelbook. Only AUS retailers.

Yeah. How hard can it be to sort out this stuff?

I won't preorder if I can't guarantee I'll get the steelbook edition.

Bumhead

Banned
Yep, the intro's one is super exhilarating

The 2048 intro is the best but 2097 is the most quintessentially Wipeout to me, in terms of the aesthetic etc.

I used to watch that intro almost every time I played the game - which was a lot - and used to envisage how amazing the game would be once it looked as good as that intro movie. Now we are hilariously past that.

I love thumper but that is a rhythm game through and through rather than having anything to do with racing. Doesn't mean people shouldn't get up on it but it doesn't have very much to do with wipeout.

You're right, it's not a racer, and they are different games. I am talking about the feelings it gives you and the skills required. I get into a total zen with Thumper in a way I haven't done since WipEout. And it's thrilling and stylish in the way WipEout is.

You're right, it's not a racer, and they are different games. I am talking about the feelings it gives you and the skills required. I get into a total zen with Thumper in a way I haven't done since WipEout. And it's thrilling and stylish in the way WipEout is.

This, I could not agree with more :)

How was Wipeout on the Saturn?

As I recall, it was actually a pretty impressive accomplishment on the Saturn - something about it doing true transparencies which was a big deal for the Saturn at the time. Still not up to the PS version, but it was great to have it there.

Schadows

Neo Member
The initial announcement describing the content & features didn't mentioned HD and Fury campaigns being included (whereas explicitly saying 2048 campaign being).

I found it strange because HD and Fury DLCs for WipEout2048 on Vita included both campaign.

Do we know if that situation has changed, or does the "collection" only have the content (tracks, ships and modes).

Lettuce

This, I could not agree with more :)

As I recall, it was actually a pretty impressive accomplishment on the Saturn - something about it doing true transparencies which was a big deal for the Saturn at the time. Still not up to the PS version, but it was great to have it there.

Dont think the Saturn version had transparency effects, i think it used dithering for the shield effect. I think the only improvement the Saturn version had was the handling of the ships, they handled more like Wipeout 2097

I just would have loved them to remix the campaign, absolutely loathed jumping up and down speed classes from one race to another. Should really have been like the classics: start low, master that, then advance to the next class and never look back. Rinse, dry, repeat.

Agreed. I think the campaign structure is really bad generally.

I thought i was the only one (since most people seem to love the racebox thing). You can spend something nuts like 20 hours with the game and still have to do venom events! Honestly I think one speed class like F-Zero or just a final extra one unlocked at the very end would be better for everyone. I feel most players (not even first timers, i still do it!) overcompensate on the slower speeds, slamming into walls which gives the wrong impression of the game's difficulty. A lot like how I am with rhythm games too.

Dont think the Saturn version had transparency effects, i think it used dithering for the shield effect. I think the only improvement the Saturn version had was the handling of the ships, they handled more like Wipeout 2097

Yeah, Saturn had horrible cross hatching instead of those lovely PS transparencies.

Fasty

Yo Sony - REMAKE WIPEOUT 2097 AKA THE GREATEST WIPEOUT OF THEM ALL! I need that grungy 90's brand of cyberpunk back in my veins.

This collection is great value at that price though.

This. Please. With the physics exactly the same, added four player split screen, modern graphics but with that 90s flavour... Oh my

Laranja

This. Please. With the physics exactly the same, added four player split screen, modern graphics but with that 90s flavour... Oh my

I would die.

I was so excited when I unlocked the
Wipeout 2097 HUD
in Wipeout HD. Just seeing that in high resolution was amazing, I don't think my heart would handle a full blown remake.

Being both a Wipeout and a F Zero fan. I would literally kill for both of these franchises to get a new entry. Why does this genre not get the love it deserves? Will buy this just to send a message even though it will probably not do any good.

When we got GR remaster it was followed by GR2 - so I have hope that this collection is a way to rebuild brand a bit before making new part.

Cardon

But when who would develop the Wipeout sequel since the original devs are gone

Yeah this is the big question for the franchise moving forward. At first, it seemed like Firesprite would do it, but they've since moved on to their new fps horror IP The Persistence so as a studio they're trying to do something fresh and simply not be know as former Studio Liverpool folks.

It seems like folks at Sony are passionate about the property, but the question is who would be bean suited to assemble and build a new entry from scratch. I wonder if it would be possible to use the canned Wipeout PS4 game as a launching pad of sorts since some amount of prelim work was done on that.

Cardon

What about Sumo Digital, they did a great job with Outrun?

Sumo would be ace since I personally loved the Sega arcade racers they made a few years ago. Just don't know if it may be feasible at the moment since they have four projects going on. But that is a damn fine suggestion though.

yurinka

What about Sumo Digital, they did a great job with Outrun?
They also worked on Forza 6, Horizon 2 & 3 or Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing games, and with Sony in different LBP titles. Now that Snake Pass is out they only have Crackdown 3 and Dead Island 2 in the works.

Let's hope after that they have free people to work in a new Wipeout, but I smell they are also working in Forza 7. They would be a great choice.

Shaneus

They also worked on Forza 6, Horizon 2 & 3 or Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing games, and with Sony in different LBP titles. Now that Snake Pass is out they only have Crackdown 3 and Dead Island 2 in the works.

Let's hope after that they have free people to work in a new Wipeout, but I smell they are also working in Forza 7. They would be a great choice.
Sumo need to work on an arcade racing franchise again. They knocked it out of the park with Outrun 2/C2C and Transformed.

Top Bottom