• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired (Chris Kohler): "The Era of Japans All-Powerful Videogame Designers Is Over"

How do sales figures contradict a forgettable library? What a weird argument.

Because it didn't have a forgettable library. At all. Roughly 80 million PSPs sold coupled with a solid first and third party lineup throughout most of its lifespan and hardware sku manufacturing for the system finally being shut down less than a year ago is the exact opposite of "forgettable."

deim0s

I've always thought it as annoying that Itagaki gets credit for Ninja Gaiden considering he had nothing to do with the best two games in the series - NG1 and 2 (NES). Off the tops of their heads does anyone know who directed these games?

What I think this article fails to remember is that the auteur director thing didn't become common until the PS1 generation. Other than Horii and Sakaguchi (who didn't even direct 6 the best in the series) it wasn't really important in the SNES and NES generations. And while we can argue about which was the best there is no doubt they count as being part of the Golden Age of Japanese gaming.

Hideo Yoshizawa.

How do sales figures contradict a forgettable library? What a weird argument.
What a weird comment.

The PSP had one of the best library for a non-Nintendo handheld.

It had two exclusive GTA games, two exclusive God of War, Two epic Final Fantasy games, Epic spinoff of Final Fantasy, Several ports of classic games remade for the PSP, the ability to play PS1 games on the go, and one of the best third party support from Japan and the Western market.

PSP is one of the greatest and most successful non-Nintendo handheld and you are being ignorant of this fact here just like the author of the article was.

AESplusF

If anything I'd say things are looking better for Japanese games than they have been for at least a few years now

And Konami is so long gone, that's not a recent thing

Yeah, that PSP comment in the article is weird. It had a pretty amazing library all things considered. Sony did a pretty impressive job supporting the handheld throughout its life and there were some killer third party titles to boot.

NolbertoS

I miss Keiji Inafune ;_; at Capcom. Need a new Megaman game series to play. I think the gaming development center has definitely shifted Stateside or Canadaside the last 5-6 years. Wish somebodu would kickstart a Japanese videogame renaissance, but then again, it was videogame crash of the 1980's that fueled Japanese videogame industry, maybe another major jolt is required.

Top Bottom