• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wisdom Tooth Extraction Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Tom the Enchanter said:
Tell him to **** himself and find a better surgeon.

EDIT: Unless he's just talking about gaseous general anesthesia. Then you should stick with him--general anesthesia is fairly dangerous (which isn't to say that one is likely to die, but the possibility for complications is higher, such as an allergic reaction).

But he's free for me, so I gotta use him.

I mean, he'll give me a shot or something, I can probably convince him to use an IV, but he wont put me unconcious, no. He wont do it to anyone.

Jeeze I am not looking forward to this, if a nerve is clipped im ****ed for life, no?

shantyman said:
I'm back. The swelling is unbelievable and the viscous blood coming out of my mouth is not pleasant.
Have you been using ice packs? Alternating 20 minutes on each side has helped me significantly limit my swelling.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Have you been using ice packs? Alternating 20 minutes on each side has helped me significantly limit my swelling.

I am. Means no "recovery time" on the PS3 or 360. I need to buy some Ace Bandages stat.

Eeikod

I got all 3 removed a week ago. I just got some shots of local anesthesia and I could hear how the teeth came out, which was awesome. After getting them out they gave me some stitches, ibuprofen and augmentine and went back to my home walking by myself. I havent experienced any pain so I must be one of the lucky ones :d

iamblades

Quazar said:
Easily fixable? :lol :lol You have no clue man. Maybe I've been going through this shit for over 10 years? Getting a tooth pulled is relief. A little pressure and sound, and please if your ass was knocked out you have no clue, so that leaves no room for you to say differnt.

The point is that not every extraction is a simple 'pull'.

Many times the tooth has to be cut into several pieces to be removed. This was the case with two of mine, they were horizontally impacted and were still covered by the gums. Meaning there wasn't anything to 'pull' they had to be cut out. Even the two up top that weren't fully impacted were still largely covered by the gums. I'd rather not have the experience of someone taking a scalpel to my gums, then a drill and a saw to my teeth.

Then there is bony impaction where the tooth is encased by the jawbone. Being awake while they cut into your jawbone doesn't seem pleasant to me.

My general rule is if the bone saw is coming out, I better be going to sleep. If the scalpel is going to be used in a location that is not easy to ignore (like say inside my mouth), I better be going to sleep. IMO, to use someone else's example, I'd actually rather be awake through something like knee surgery, as you can at least ignore that to a degree , you don't have to look at it or anything. Someone cutting open the inside of your mouth is not as easy to ignore.

Also, if the procedure is longer than say, 30-45 minutes (which mine was), put me to sleep. I don't have the patience to sit there for an hour or more while someone is cutting on me. At that point, wake me up when it's over. Unless, like i mentioned, the surgery is on an extremity and I can do something else while it is going on, read a book or something, lol.

Edit: it's not a pain issue, I'm not arguing on the basis of pain, more on the fact that someone cutting into your mouth is creepy and I'd rather avoid the experience if at all possible. Why not if a simple shot of sedative can do the trick?

Rur0ni

Been to the dentist past couple weeks. Four wisdom teeth, one of which is impacted. Other three can be pulled normally by the dentist. Had one pulled (while I had fillings done, the crunching sounds were neat), bled for a few hours, with pain (not severe, but a dull numbing pain), but took Mortrin. Napped with gauze in mouth, woke up, no bleeding. Three more to go. Infact, one tomorrow. I do worry about the one that needs to be surgically removed, its not horizontal, but like a 45 degree angle from the x-ray I seen. And its a top one. How the hell does he/she get back there. :lol

mr_nexus

Banned
All got all 4 taken out. I never took the medication they gave me. I did however get GTA3 in the mail when I got home. It was a fun recovery.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I'm still pretty swollen. All 4 of mine are impacted (including the two that were taken out yesterday were- I don't technically have 4 any more).

I don't know why anyone would want to be awake, really, unless it was one of the gentle pull variety. Mine definitely did not fit that bill.

B'z-chan

Banned
let me first say those of you with no pain are freaking luck as hell to be in so little or no pain after getting your teeth removed.

so heres the horror story. oh and i'm affraid of dentists havent been for at least 5 years maybe longer. had a horrible experience last time with one. none the less

May 5th family gets together for dinner. Next thing i know i'm lying on the floor from something i bit down on. Sunday comes and i'm in horrible throwing cause the pain was so awful. No medication was working nothing. Wait till monday to call my insurance and get into to a dentist.

Next thing i know i'm in a small operating room going "WTF" i was expecting to get the tooth looked at. None the less i got 4 of them out, two had to be cut out. And the bone had to be shaved down. But were not done yet.

i get it done and have horrendous pain in my right part of my face and mouth. i thought it could be a dry socket. so i go in seems the infection was in some of the jaw bone. So we talked about options. He shaved down the bone some more and after a week it splintered and fractured to hell and back.

i was left with one option get a replacement jaw plate put in. So about two weeks now i've had a metal clamp forcing my mouth together. i've gone through periods of blood and all kinds of horrible stuff. Worse of all i cant talk all i can do is mumble.

As well i cant freaking shave cause the plastic surgery guy said i could damage the skin. So i'm becoming a hobo basically.

Lesson learned i'm going to the dentist from now on. No matter what the cost. Cause this past month has been an eye opener. Kids get them taken out early.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
My dentist is going to freeze the 4 corners of my mouth and take them all out. None are impacted. He said I should be feeling fine about an hour later.

I guess we'll find out july 16th :lol.

B'z-chan said:
let me first say those of you with no pain are freaking luck as hell to be in so little or no pain after getting your teeth removed.

so heres the horror story. oh and i'm affraid of dentists havent been for at least 5 years maybe longer. had a horrible experience last time with one. none the less

May 5th family gets together for dinner. Next thing i know i'm lying on the floor from something i bit down on. Sunday comes and i'm in horrible throwing cause the pain was so awful. No medication was working nothing. Wait till monday to call my insurance and get into to a dentist.

Next thing i know i'm in a small operating room going "WTF" i was expecting to get the tooth looked at. None the less i got 4 of them out, two had to be cut out. And the bone had to be shaved down. But were not done yet.

i get it done and have horrendous pain in my right part of my face and mouth. i thought it could be a dry socket. so i go in seems the infection was in some of the jaw bone. So we talked about options. He shaved down the bone some more and after a week it splintered and fractured to hell and back.

i was left with one option get a replacement jaw plate put in. So about two weeks now i've had a metal clamp forcing my mouth together. i've gone through periods of blood and all kinds of horrible stuff. Worse of all i cant talk all i can do is mumble.

As well i cant freaking shave cause the plastic surgery guy said i could damage the skin. So i'm becoming a hobo basically.

Lesson learned i'm going to the dentist from now on. No matter what the cost. Cause this past month has been an eye opener. Kids get them taken out early.

That is the stuff of nightmares. Wow...

Day four and one of the wounds is still somewhat bleeding. Not profusely, but there's still a little red coming from it every time I spit. I'm probably freaking out over nothing, but god damn I'm worried.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I'm doing ok, but still swollen. One of the holes has what feels like a fingernail sticking out, I assume it's a scab.

mattx5

Ohshitohshitohshitohshit

I'm getting mine done tomorrow morning - all 4. Guys, I don't want to be one of those horror stories. Hell, I'll be pissed if I bruise even; I don't want to become an ugly anti-socialite hermit for a whole week :(
And I'm already skinny enough, I don't want to lose any more weight :(

How bad is the pain? Will I be able to get some writing done immediately after the procedure you think? I have deadlines to meet :(

mattx5 said:
Ohshitohshitohshitohshit

I'm getting mine done tomorrow morning - all 4. Guys, I don't want to be one of those horror stories. Hell, I'll be pissed if I bruise even; I don't want to become an ugly anti-socialite hermit for a whole week :(

How bad is the pain? Will I be able to get some writing done immediately after the procedure you think? I have deadlines to meet :(
It seems it varies. I've heard people tell nightmares of excruciating, agonizing pain, but I've also heard people talk about it being a cake walk, which is what it's been for me so far. I haven't even touched my pain killers yet, and I'm on day 4. :)

Good luck!

Armitage

mattx5 said:
Ohshitohshitohshitohshit

Chances are it'll be nothing more than an irritant.

Wraith

The good: I recovered very quickly. By the second day after the surgery, I was off of the Vikadin and feeling alright.

The bad: They didn't knock me out long enough. All of a sudden I felt like I was whooshing along through thousands of tunnels inside my body. I assume that was brought on by the sound of the suction tube in my mouth. It felt like I was going faster and faster and then I woke up and there was stuff in my mouth and people were standing over me and I screamed as loud as I could. I wouldn't stop screaming, though the nurse kept telling me to. The other patients in the office must have been really freaked out. Eventually they had to give me more gas to put me back under so they could complete the surgery. Really freaky experience.

Wraith said:
The bad: They didn't knock me out long enough. All of a sudden I felt like I was whooshing along through thousands of tunnels inside my body. I assume that was brought on by the sound of the suction tube in my mouth. It felt like I was going faster and faster and then I woke up and there was stuff in my mouth and people were standing over me and I screamed as loud as I could. I wouldn't stop screaming, though the nurse kept telling me to. The other patients in the office must have been really freaked out. Eventually they had to give me more gas to put me back under so they could complete the surgery. Really freaky experience.
:lol :lol :lol The faces of those in the waiting room... I can't even imagine how great that would've been to see.

Salmonax

GhaleonEB said:
It depends on what went wrong. My teeth were still impacted, so my recovery entailed:

1) Jaw wired shut for six weeks
2) Bleeding for nearly a month (so many sheets and pillows ruined)
3) Three dry sockets (infections) requiring follow-ups
4) One infected jawline (after the third dry socket spread)
5) Still can't open my mouth all of the way, 16 years later

I hope yours goes better. :(
Ouch. All four of mine were impacted as well, but my recovery was a matter of days and no infections. Did you investigate malpractice?

Crab Shaker

Doesn't pay his sources
Wraith said:
The good: I recovered very quickly. By the second day after the surgery, I was off of the Vikadin and feeling alright.

This story, and also the one where someone had to be physically restrained upon waking, have made me laugh. I pictured the other guy just waking up and start punching people, and you, that's just a movie scene man :lol

Avalon

While we are on the topic... One of mine has been growing in. I thought about removing it but up until now it's only caused some mild discomfort every once in a while. It has kind of moved around some of my other teeth, nothing really major though. Are there any critical things that could happen by leaving it in?

Avalon said:
While we are on the topic... One of mine has been growing in. I thought about removing it but up until now it's only caused some mild discomfort every once in a while. It has kind of moved around some of my other teeth, nothing really major though. Are there any critical things that could happen by leaving it in?

it will probably get infected sooner or later. your gums and the surrounding area will get red, inflamed and nasty, and eating/talking/just sitting around will be really uncomfortable, if not painful. you'll need to take antibiotics and then your dentist will probably want to yank it so it doesn't happen again.

i got all 4 of mine out may 11, and the bottom left area STILL hurts..my face hurts to the touch from the outside, i can't chew on the left side of my mouth at all, and as of recently, the inside of my cheek is sore and inflamed.

i guess i should call my oral surgeon back n let him know what's up...

does this sound familiar to anyone?

infinityjinx said:
i got all 4 of mine out may 11, and the bottom left area STILL hurts..my face hurts to the touch from the outside, i can't chew on the left side of my mouth at all, and as of recently, the inside of my cheek is sore and inflamed.

i guess i should call my oral surgeon back n let him know what's up...

does this sound familiar to anyone?
Since May 11th?! Yeah that's a definite dry socket. You should have called your surgeon LONG ago.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Since May 11th?! Yeah that's a definite dry socket. You should have called your surgeon LONG ago.

i don't think its a dry socket because the actual spot where that tooth was pulled feels fine. it's just the surrounding area that is still sore... shrug. i'm callin tomorrow either way.

GhaleonEB said:
It depends on what went wrong. My teeth were still impacted, so my recovery entailed:

Shit...did they pry yours out with a flathead screwdriver?

GhaleonEB said:

Was the dentist who did this to you also the one who told you that a dry socket is an infection?

SleazyC

Hehe you guys are awesome :lol

I go next Tuesday to get my wisdom teeth looked at as I have had some discomfort in the back left corner of my mouth and it looks like a tooth is growing out. Start my internship June 18th though so I am not sure if I'll be be able to get it yanked out in time.

Drewsy

Banned
To the OP and anyone about to get theirs pulled in the near future - make sure you plan ahead and buy a good game. Or schedule your surgery around big game release dates. (considering this Fall's releases I'm only half kidding)

One of my best gaming memories was playing Dead Rising layed out on vicodin all day. :D

So how do I know when I can start chewing stuff again? I'm so afraid I might do it too soon and get a dry socket, but god DAMN am I craving a real meal.

my wisdome tooths have not started be painful nor have I seen them grow...

I did however go under the knife once and it was an awesome feeling when the sleeping drugs kicked in 5, 4, ...................................................

I had my wisdom teeth pulled out last year. I got put under and I guess after I woke up my mom got a call from my dad, he asked to talk to me and I said "He's too ugly to talk to." Other then a dry socket it took me about a week to heal.

eXistor

I had all wisdom teeth pulled out (two at a time). Wasn't put under, just a bunch of shots in my mouth. F*cker damn near dislocated my jaw too. Had to endure the horrible cracking noises too. But I didn't feel a thing, just swallowed blood for a few days (didn't heal as smoothly as i'd hoped) so I couldn't crap properly for a while.

After that was all over I had to go again for the other side. That went a whole lot smoother and after a few days it was pretty much healed.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed later this summer.

Wooo.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Lots of Wisdom teeth losing GAFFers.

My wife pointed out the damin thing in the socket was a stitch. Duh.

It was really not that bad of an experience. Aside from the swelling I have no more than a tiny bit of pain. It does make it hard to eat though,

AniHawk

When I had my wisdom teeth taken out, the socket didn't heal on one side of the mouth. For two weeks I had dry bone exposed and didn't know it. ****ing painful, let me assure you.

Oh yeah, good luck, SleazyC!

Ugh. So it's still bleeding on the start of day 5. I called the surgeon and asked if that's ok and all they said was "can you come in at 2:30?"

I just want this to ****ing heal!!! I wan real food!! :(

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
But I didn't feel a thing, just swallowed blood for a few days (didn't heal as smoothly as i'd hoped) so I couldn't crap properly for a while.

Um, what?

Anyway I had mine out a few years ago. None were impacted but the bottom two were only partially "erupted" and at a bit of an angle. Those took a few days to get back to normal and I kept getting crap stuck back there. I'm pretty sure I was fine by day 3 or 4, not too bad. I also woke up in the recovery room with my Mom hysterically laughing at me because I had told her that Jose Canseco had just injected me in the ass with steroids. And also that I felt like a big mouth bass (complete with flapping fish jaw motion). Apparently I was saying some other crazy stuff too. Good times.

Wraith

Avalon said:

My wisdom teeth started showing up in my freshman year of college. I had very minor pain for a week or so, nothing too bad. This would repeat once or twice a year, and I never really thought much of it. Then, like 3 years after this had started, I got hit one day with excruciating pain in my mouth. Like, can't eat anything because it hurt so bad pain. If I had known that was going to happen, I probably would have had the things removed earlier.

So yeah, I'd get them out sooner rather than later if it has already started to cause you pain, even sporacidally.

mattx5

HOLY ****ING **** SHIT!!!@!#@

THE PERCOCETS AND ICE PACKS ARE DOING NOTHING!

GIVE ME BACK MY WISDOM TEETH! MAKE IT STOP! **** **** ****!

I'm only supposed to take one Percocet every 4 hours - WTF, I'm THIS CLOSE to DOWNING THE WHOLE ****ING BOTTLE!

MAKE IT BETTER GAF!!!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
mattx5 said:
HOLY ****ING **** SHIT!!!@!#@

THE PERCOCETS AND ICE PACKS ARE DOING NOTHING!

GIVE ME BACK MY WISDOM TEETH! MAKE IT STOP! **** **** ****!

I'm only supposed to take one Percocet every 4 hours - WTF, I'm THIS CLOSE to DOWNING THE WHOLE ****ING BOTTLE!

MAKE IT BETTER GAF!!!
*holds mattx5's hand*

If the pain is THAT bad, you might want to consider calling your surgeon.

mattx5

It's okay, everything's level now. It stills aches terribly (like someone sledgehammered me in the face), but I can tell that the Percocet's regulating the pain, and the bleeding stopped relatively early on today, so I think I'll be good. The intense pain was going in cycles (i.e. came and went with the popping of pills), but it seems the worst might be over.

We'll see if when I wake up tomorrow I look like the Elephant Man or not...

*crosses fingers*

Akala

DON'T SMOKE! The warnings are true.

When I had mine done, It was all beautiful. Got gassed, the dentist was telling horrible jokes. When I didn't laugh, he said "well, guess we should get started." I freaked out and mumbled at him, he kinda jumped, and the next thing I remember was being wheeled out of the place.

I was on a week long holiday with all the percocet I could handle. I thought I was out of the woods, so I went out, smoked a lot, drank a lot, and my mouth hurt the next morning.

I ended up getting clove extract stuffed in the holes for a week. It was awful. Every time I breathed, I exuded cloves. Wasn't too bad apart from that, I eventually got bored of the meds, and healed shortly after.

The smell of clove still makes me nauseous tho. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom