• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wisdom Tooth Extraction Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine were impacted "stuck" teeth. It was ****ing terrible. The doctor told me not to take the Percocet unless I had eaten. The problem of course is that I couldn't open my mouth to eat...even something like soup...it just wasn't going to work. When I got home I took Ibuprofen, and went to sleep.....

I WAKE UP AND MY HEAD IS THROBBING WITH PAIN

It hurt so bad. I was stumbling to the bathroom to get a Percocet...I think I almost passed out from the pain. I felt much better, but then I puked a few times. But at least my mouth was OK, so that way I could eat...and take more Percocet. After that it was just a groggy recovery.

Alur

Had mine out yesterday, two on the right side and one on the left (bottom). The side where one was taken out has been the sorest, but until tonight it hadn't really caused me much (if any) pain.

Unfortunately, like a ****ing dumb***, I drank from a straw. Just like two sips before I realized WTF I was doing, but now the single bottom one on the left is aching a bit. I dunno how you know if you've gotten a dry socket, but I guess I'll know if it hurts like a mofo in the morning eh? I've got some antibiotics from when this whole thing first started last month, so I'm gonna take one of those too just in case.

chase

It took mine two weeks for them to heal and I only had two out. I got an extra dose of painkillers for it though, so I won in the end.

Alur

Mine are no more sore this morning than they were yesterday. The doc said they'd be the sorest today, so maybe I didn't get a dry socket. Ah well, been 14 hours since meds so I need to take some ibuprofen.

Syb

Just had all 4 out. The operation took half an hour and was out of hospital within the next two. Doesn't hurt a bit, theres just a faint numbing. I have super-human powers, I must be Wolverine or something

Hopefully the mods don't hang me, but I don't think this is worth a new thread...
I just got my bottom wisdom teeth out Friday morning. Judging by the posts I've read, I've been one of the luckier ones so far.
I was put to sleep for mine, one of the bastards was horizontal. My gf said I farted a lot during recovery...
I was prescribed Vicodin, but have not taken any at all. Just three ibuprofen every six hours and an antibiotic. Pain really hasn't been an issue. Discomfort, yes, but nothing worth more than ibuprofen.
My biggest problem has been not wanting to eat (pudding, and mashed potatoes burn in hell... no more), resulting in me getting very weak and nauseous. I've lost about 6 pounds since Thursday night. I can't talk very well, and my jaw is still stiff. I'm also still bleeding a bit from the right side... I'm really getting worried about it. Especially hearing the dry socket stories. How long does this damn bleeding go on? My job involves being on the phone all day, which isn't going to fly in the condition I'm in now... and I can't afford to miss anymore time right now. I need a miracle in the next 24 hours!
I'm about to start the saltwater routine now... hopefully that helps... For those getting this done soon, Gatorade is a godsend. While I don't feel great, I do feel better since I had some earlier. All in all, any bleeding advice is welcome... for those in the Tampa area I can recommend what seems to have been a pretty good surgeon thus far.

xsarien

daedsiluap
My dentist suggested I do this, but I'm a total girl about blood, surgery and dentists. Combine all three and you have a situation where I might actually need to be literally dragged kicking and screaming.

Drewsy said:
You, sir, are an enigma.
I was in the same boat. No painkillers used at all. It went incredibly well. The potential infection turned out to be nothing and everything healed up hunky dory. I guess some of us just get really, really lucky.

Armitage said:
I got all four out too.

I don't really remember waking up, but I remember going to sleep:

"Nah, I don't feel anything... No, nothing yet. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

I didn't even get to 1. But then I told the dentist I weighed more than I actually did to be entirely sure I got enough anesthetic. Which was probably not safe...but I survived! I just have extreme anxiety when it comes to dental stuff for some reason. But recovering from the operation wasn't bad at all for me.

4ndii said:
Thanks for the bump. I'm getting all four extracted this Friday.

Gatorade and salt water are your friends! 3 Ibuprofen every six hours for at least 36-48 hours.
Aside from the stiffness, and bleeding, I am really surprised at how painless this has been. I'm not out of the woods yet, but my mindframe is much better than it was 6 hours ago.

As someone else mentioned, grab a good new game for your system of choice and just try to relax. Hope yours goes well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom