• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Having a good laugh at those known Crossfire issues. "If problems persist, turn off CF while we take more time doing something that should've been done before launch". Nice work there AMD, really nice.

At least it works, for the most part.

Yep these crossfire drivers from AMD are terrible to be honest I'm still getting better performance with crossfire disabled. Wtf?

When the r9 300 comes out I'm going to consider grabbing a 980 if nvidia drops the price.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Yep these crossfire drivers from AMD are terrible to be honest I'm still getting better performance with crossfire disabled. Wtf?

When the r9 300 comes out I'm going to consider grabbing a 980 if nvidia drops the price.

This is why I swore off AMD GPUs... NVidia is miles ahead with SLI support.

SmartBase

I know it says it in the driver notes so you've probably already tried, but turn off anti-aliasing in the game's post-process settings. Don't know why a simple post-process solution is giving AMD's driver team so much trouble, but it almost doubled my frames when I disabled it. Have to use RadeonPro's SMAA instead but at least it works and I can finally play at a locked 1440p/60 with all ultra settings.

tuxfool

Banned
I know it says it in the driver notes so you've probably already tried, but turn off anti-aliasing in the game's post-process settings. Don't know why a simple post-process solution is giving AMD's driver team so much trouble, but it almost doubled my frames when I disabled it. Have to use RadeonPro's SMAA instead but at least it works and I can finally play at a locked 1440p/60 with all ultra settings.

I assume it is due to the AA being temporal. So if you have AFR then both gpus need to share frame data. I don't know how nvidia is doing it, but they probably have a different implementation allowing for this.

npa189

I bet my old-ass DLP isn't helping with this, but I am getting a nasty screen door effect. Any setting I can turn on/off to help with this? Its not ambient occlusion or DOF, so I'm stumped.

I bet my old-ass DLP isn't helping with this, but I am getting a nasty screen door effect. Any setting I can turn on/off to help with this? Its not ambient occlusion or DOF, so I'm stumped.

i'm seeing this too in places and at random times - and i'm on a brand new 144Hz IPS w/ G-SYNC.

that, combined with the egregious colour banding present in this game, leads me to believe it's something in the game engine itself, not our displays [read: I HOPE!].

npa189

i'm seeing this too in places and at random times - and i'm on a brand new 144Hz IPS w/ G-SYNC.

that, combined with the egregious colour banding present in this game, leads me to believe it's something in the game engine itself, not our displays [read: I HOPE!].

Well its good to know its not just my decrepit TV. 60hz 1080p so its been pretty relevant for a long time and normally it has really solid picture. Haven't tried it on my monitor yet, but I don't think I need to now.

Skelter

Banned
Holy shit. I'm downsampling this game. Been experimenting with custom resolutions still. I must hit 60FPS but my God does it look amazing. I really can't wait to finally buy a Gsync monitor.

Native res - 1920x1200, third shot I was having fun with Hairworks as much as I love it I'd rather have 60FPS then it on. I don't think I could afford another Titan X.

01A36BBFFDD3ECECA7F8EEAA3BBBA57CA7F01158

D9AC85E097CE70082E5F9DAC39E49D8627D9E77C

0CFD9D9B9A48516A95588A10724C5FD3D3D6393F

So good at 2560x1600 - love the DoF in the second shot.

Downsampled from 2880 x 1620 highest I can go while keeping 60 frames

Anyone have this monitor? Still looking around and could use suggestions.

didamangi

Holy shit. I'm downsampling this game. Been experimenting with custom resolutions still. I must hit 60FPS but my God does it look amazing. I really can't wait to finally buy a Gsync monitor.

Either steam compression ruins the shots or the in-game AA doesn't get picked up on those shots, or both. :/

dragn

same here, even tried my panasonic plasma to see if its the game or my new g-sync monitor

tuxfool

Banned

Native res - 1920x1200, third shot I was having fun with Hairworks as much as I love it I'd rather have 60FPS then it on. I don't think I could afford another Titan X.

Downsampled from 2880 x 1620 highest I can go while keeping 60 frames.

TBH, I find these shots to be hideous. Lack of AA plus the excessive sharpening is completely ruining IQ. I can't help but think that this would be a flickery mess in motion. Maybe consider using AA and turning off the sharpening filter?

jett

D-Member
Are AMD's drivers safe to use?

man wtf is going with the image quality in your screens, is that really what the game looks like? That doesn't look downsampled at all.

jorimt

same here, even tried my panasonic plasma to see if its the game or my new g-sync monitor

I've also noticed the banding to a degree...

I'm playing it on a 50" Panasonic ST60, and the sky's banding issue at certain ToD is only going to be worse on a plasma due to the inherit dithering and limited gradient steps of the display. Strange that it's still that apparent on other display types, though It isn't horrible by any means.

As for the "screen door" effect, I can only imagine you're all referring to that semi-transparent black dotted pattern that appears in squarish clumps during LOD transitions, or in cutscenes sometimes on character faces, etc. That I believe is an engine issue (some sort of alpha transition dither?), and was also present in The Witcher 2.

wowzors

These crashes you guys are having, does the game just minimize kick you to the desktop with audio still going and then the game eventually closes? I keep getting this problem during cutscenes.

Vamphuntr

These crashes you guys are having, does the game just minimize kick you to the desktop with audio still going and then the game eventually closes? I keep getting this problem during cutscenes.

I get this but after minimizing the game closes cleanly without the audio going.

I have:

evga GTX 980 sc
8 GB ram
2500k oc'd to 4.5
24" monitor at 1920x1080 native

I have everything at ultra except foliage distance and shadows at high. The game runs 60 FPS. I've always wanted to try and down sample but to maintain 60fps what is the max down sample you think I can go to?

TBH, I find these shots to be hideous. Lack of AA plus the excessive sharpening is completely ruining IQ. I can't help but think that this would be a flickery mess in motion. Maybe consider using AA and turning off the sharpening filter?

lol, yup - these screens look horrible, you high man?

please for the love of god turn off sharpening especially when your downsampling. sharpening is ruining these otherwise great shots

I went back to W10 drivers, a lot more smoother, I also tried copying the profiles from 15.5 but I don't know if it actually did anything, I have a single gpu.

viveks86

This is puzzling. Your 1200p shots have lesser aliasing than your downsampled shots. Sup with that?

jett

D-Member
Tested more thoroughly. The new drivers did nothing for my framerate on my 280X, in fact I think the game runs slightly better with the 14.12 drivers for me, so I'm rolling back to that since that has been safe for now.

Really disappointing that I didn't get shit from these drivers.

Zakalwe

Banned
running a 970 and an i5 2500k at 4.4ghz and i still can't really turn on hairworks. i get 60fps constantly in all situations with it off (and everything else maxed) but can't quite hold it indoors or in battles when it's on :(. it's barely noticeable anyways but still. those dips from 60fps annoy the piss out of me so i turn down what's needed to stay above lol

You won't get 60fps at /all/ times with everything max on that system.

I have the same CPU/GPU and I have to turn foliage and grass to high to get /almost/ solid 60 with dips to 50 in certain towns or 55-60 in other foliage rich areas.

FLAguy954

I just got the game and wow, I'm getting 45-50 fps with a mixture of settings on my rig (4670K @ 4.5, 290 @ 1007/1400):

My settings:

Post Processing:

Motion Blur: on
Blur: on
AA: off
No Sharpening
HBAO+: on
DoF: on
CA: off
Vignetting: on
Light Shafts: on

Graphics:
No vysnc
unlimited fps
1080p/122Hz full screen
Everything on ultra except for grass, foliage, and shadows
Hairworks for everyone (x16 tessellation and 2x MSAA)

Hairworks looks fucking amazing and the new drivers make it run even better (I hope more people get to experience the game with Hairworks on). I get over 60 fps with Hairworks off but I'm making an exception for this game by keeping it on.

Ah, PCs and the graphical freedoms they bring :).

EDIT: Before the tweak, I tried full Hairworks and lost like 20 fps (from 60). After the tweaks the drop was dramatically reduced to 10 fps from 60.

CHC

Any word on the Nvidia fix for the Kepler cards?

"In testing"' - no idea what time frame that implies but I'd be surprised if it wasn't out before the launch of the 980 Ti.

In the meantime you can either delete the Cloth PhysX dll file from your Witcher 3 directory or set PhysX to be handled by the CPU exclusively. Either of these solutions seems to relieve the stress that is being put on Kepler GPUs and should help with performance to a decent degree.

Anon67

"In testing"' - no idea what time frame that implies but I'd be surprised if it wasn't out before the launch of the 980 Ti.

In the meantime you can either delete the Cloth PhysX dll file from your Witcher 3 directory or set PhysX to be handled by the CPU exclusively. Either of these solutions seems to relieve the stress that is being put on Kepler GPUs and should help with performance to a decent degree.

Hmm lll have to try this.

Tested more thoroughly. The new drivers did nothing for my framerate on my 280X, in fact I think the game runs slightly better with the 14.12 drivers for me, so I'm rolling back to that since that has been safe for now.

Really disappointing that I didn't get shit from these drivers.

With 14.12, going from high to ultra on water doesn't hurt my framerate. With 15.5, I lose 5-6 fps going from high to ultra. Hmmmm

Yasae

Banned
For Kepler cards: rollback to 347.88 was suggested on the Nvidia forums. It actually works - small but noticeable 3-6 FPS increase.

sgs2008

Yea i do paired with sli ttian x's its just so good.

Setting Physx to CPU didnt do anything for me. GTX 770 2gb, still at 47-52 fps

Shadownet

Banned
It's driving me banana that I'm using ReShade + SweetFX and the frickin Toggle On/Off key doesn't work. Does anyone know how to do this?

I change it from the Scroll Lock key to Number Lock (Since I don't think I have a Scroll Lock key on mine)

Derp

Okay no one seemed to inform the people over at the Nvidia forums (who are going wild) about the fix, so I've made a thread there and given full credit to Qassim and the video creator. Hope you guys don't mind.

Also we don't know if there is more to be fixed, do we? It's just a matter of waiting for Nvidia to release their fix to see what else happens right?

Hristi

It's driving me banana that I'm using ReShade + SweetFX and the frickin Toggle On/Off key doesn't work. Does anyone know how to do this?

I change it from the Scroll Lock key to Number Lock (Since I don't think I have a Scroll Lock key on mine)

I heard the previous version of reshade 16 makes the toggling work.

GHG

Gold Member
O this Kepler "fix" of deleting the .dll file...

Does it change anything in the game visually or remove any features?

Derp

Cool, good to know. Will check this out in a bit then.

So are we sure this is a problem on nvidia's end then when deleting a game file is what solves the problem?

Well Nvidia is currently working on a fix to for the Kepler performance issue so I'd think it's safe to assume something happened at their end, whether it was on purpose or not. Or it could be both Nvidia and the game itself.

Top Bottom