• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Derp

Fucking hell i hate GOG Galaxy. It's been nothing but pain. Extremely slow downloads, and then this shit halfway through downloading a patch:
UlXN6sr.png

What's worse is I can't manually download the patch because I have no idea which patch it's stuck on. It doesn't tell you anything.

Installed 1.03 patch and now I'm getting hitching, too. Fps is 50-60 on a gsync monitor with a titan x. Starting to drive me nuts...

Edit: To be clear, it happens when moving Geralt. Panning the camera while standing still is fine. It's a really consistent sort of thing. Seems to happen every other second or so.

Anyone know if there is a way to switch Walking to a hold instead of a toggle? The controls feel so clumsy in this game and this would help a lot.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Fucking hell i hate GOG Galaxy. It's been nothing but pain. Extremely slow downloads, and then this shit halfway through downloading a patch:
UlXN6sr.png

What's worse is I can't manually download the patch because I have no idea which patch it's stuck on. It doesn't tell you anything.

You'll be on patch 1.02 by default, its required to play.

Anyone know if there is a way to switch Walking to a hold instead of a toggle? The controls feel so clumsy in this game and this would help a lot.

Hit CTRL, it will toggle walk/run. You can also hit CTRL when in Sense mode to run.

I've tried a couple of sweetfx configs (SS1 and Project Reality).
Both have none or unnoticeable fps impact so far.

Edit: My personal favorite is project reality. Pretty easy to install as well.
https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3700/

I really can't go back to brown/orange default tone color of the game.
Absolutely hated it.

That looks incredible, gonna give it a go.

edit: Does sweetfx make anyone else's text look funky? Looks like it sharpened quite a bit.

HowZatOZ

Banned

edit: Does sweetfx make anyone else's text look funky? Looks like it sharpened quite a bit.

I think that's the define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING setting, which affects text. Not entirely sure though but try setting it to 0 and see what it does.

I mean if there is a way to make ctrl walk while holding it instead of toggle, like it was in TW2. I don't know why they changed it, it worked great before.

Bah I read that completely wrong, sorry. No, I'm not sure if there is a hold button but it is strange to not have one.

I think that's the define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING setting, which affects text. Not entirely sure though but try setting it to 0 and see what it does.

Bah I read that completely wrong, sorry. No, I'm not sure if there is a hold button but it is strange to not have one.

Ah, it was LUMASHARPEN.

Turned it off and it looks better.

Derp

You'll be on patch 1.02 by default, its required to play.
Okay so manually downloading the 1.02-1.03 patch with the Downloader and installing it won't cause any problems right? Because it's stuck halfway through downloading something (i'm assuming it's something more than a patch since it was like 600+ MB ... And the patch is supposed to be 200+ MB).

I settled on everything maxed except foliage distance (high) and shadows (high) at 1440. Sharpening off, of course. Framerate is 99% locked at 60.

i7 4770k @ 4.2
16gb RAM
Titan X
Win 8.1

If anyone can tell me. Will it run at Ultra settings on a

16gb of ram
AMD FX 8350 STOCK
R9 290X

also hairworks is only nvidia exclusive?

Running this setup but with a normal 290. With hairworks off, and Foliage distance at high I'm at 55-60 fps. In the AMD CCC, put tesselation at "AMD optimised" and you'll get the equivalent of hairworks without the drop in performance.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Everyone is getting the move camera while walking forward stutter, right? People using a controller that is...

ru55lee

Neo Member
Anyone give this a go with GTX 670 SLI? I'm trapped away from home and haven't made it back to play yet.

I have 2 GTX 670 4GB in SLI and it runs very well. I have a mixture of high/ultra with hairworks off and average 60fps sometimes going down as low as 55.

My processor is an i7 3930k @ 3.8ghz.

Very happy with performance. 0 crashes so far.

viveks86

I've tried a couple of sweetfx configs (SS1 and Project Reality).
Both have none or unnoticeable fps impact so far.

Edit: My personal favorite is project reality. Pretty easy to install as well.
https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3700/

I really can't go back to brown/orange default tone color of the game.
Absolutely hated it.

I took Project Reality as a template and modified it a little. It's the most satisfying result I've had so far. Now I'm all set to play the actual game! :D

witcher32015-05-2121-30-162.png

I've posted the settings here:

http://pastebin.com/KGPDrrP7

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Yeh I was hitting 90 odd degrees. Turned my fan curve off now. Just need to do some testing. How's yours buddy?

Can't speak for Viveks, but as a Titan X SLI owner myself, and with the stock cooler, my temps hover between 78 and 83c. Pretty much the same with both patches.

viveks86

Yeh I was hitting 90 odd degrees. Turned my fan curve off now. Just need to do some testing. How's yours buddy?

Sorry I missed this post. I run an aggressive fan profile, so it stays in the mid 70s. Default profile goes up to 83. Never seen it go higher than that.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Well figured out my problem, GPU was overheating apparently. Running the fans at 100 percent fixes my crashes. Don't know why it wouldn't do that automatically though if its getting hot enough to cause issues.

@viveks

Are you forcing AF through the NVCP with patch 1.03 or are you now just using the AF supplied by the patch?(I'm having a hard time deciding between NVCP or just use the Ultra 16X provided by the patch)

Thanks.

red731

I took Project Reality as a template and modified it a little. It's the most satisfying result I've had so far. Now I'm all set to play the actual game! :D

http://gifyu.com/images/witcher32015-05-2121-30-162.png[//IMG]

[URL="http://pastebin.com/KGPDrrP7"]http://pastebin.com/KGPDrrP7[/URL][/QUOTE]

That Project Reality blowed me away, but I will roll with your tweaked preset.
Thanks Viveks

This makes it two bookmarked posts from you. GG

Hmm not sure.
I'm playing quite far away from my TV though, perhaps that's why I don't notice it.

witcher32015-05-2121-30-162.png

http://pastebin.com/KGPDrrP7

What did you change?
Looks more crispy, nice.

I have been completely unable to get sweetfx to work, witcher just doesn't open.
You're supposed to install to \bin\x64 right?

Do you have fraps/msi afterburning running?
Sweetfx won't run along with those kind of programs.

Here's a shot with SweetFX project reality, care of texhnolyze. I think the foliage looks bad because they're swaying when the screenshot is taken.

witcher32015-05-2122-f4u6j.png

viveks86

@viveks

Are you forcing AF through the NVCP with patch 1.03 or are you now just using the AF supplied by the patch?(I'm having a hard time deciding between NVCP or just use the Ultra 16X provided by the patch)

Thanks.

NVCP. They've added a new field in the INI that I've tweaked to 16. But I'm still overriding it with NVCP.

What did you change?
Looks more crispy, nice.

Tweaks to luma sharpening and saturation. Removed HDR as well, since it didn't have much benefit visually and cost a frame or two. Rest is the same I think. Also, I'm running at 1620p while playing, which does wonders to foliage quality.

Serick

Married Member
I settled on everything maxed except foliage distance (high) and shadows (high) at 1440. Sharpening off, of course. Framerate is 99% locked at 60.

i7 4770k @ 4.2
16gb RAM
Titan X
Win 8.1

Yeah, I've done the same but @ 1080p

i7 4790k @ 4.6
16gb Ram
GTX 980
Win 8.1

Smooth as butter now.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Just had my first crash. It seems to have cause a Display Driver crash as well. Can't say if it would have happened on the previous version (1.02), but it was a crash, nonetheless.

So I haven't had time to read through all this but I'll start playing tonight possibly.

I have a 4670 + 970 GTX. What's the dealio with Hairworks? What would I need to turn down to compensate for turning it on (I recall the Nvidia chart says 970 is basically ultra sans some of the extras).

I don't require 60fps or anything, gotta give my G-sync panel a workout somehow!

Exentryk

Yeah, I've done the same but @ 1080p

i7 4790k @ 4.6
16gb Ram
GTX 980
Win 8.1

Smooth as butter now.

You can have ultra shadows too, and it'd still be 60 locked. But my 980 does have a medium overclock. Even ultra foliage distance would keep you above 50-55, but you get that judder then.

So I haven't had time to read through all this but I'll start playing tonight possibly.

I have a 4670 + 970 GTX. What's the dealio with Hairworks? What would I need to turn down to compensate for turning it on (I recall the Nvidia chart says 970 is basically ultra sans some of the extras).

I don't require 60fps or anything, gotta give my G-sync panel a workout somehow!
If you want 60, abandon your hairworks dream.
For 30 I'd reduce foliage draw distance and shadows.

Dries

Even with the 1.03 patch I still get stuttering while just walking on horseback. Not holding A, but just tilting the analog stick forward/pressing W while on Roach. It seems like a hitch and happens in the same time intervals, like every other second.

Is this still a thing for other people? I checked the PS4 version and it's also there, so it seems like an engine thing.

Here's a shot with SweetFX project reality, care of texhnolyze. I think the foliage looks bad because they're swaying when the screenshot is taken.

Yeah, the foliage doesn't look that bad in motion.
It's not the sweetfx's fault anyway. Need to tweak the .ini file.

NVCP. They've added a new field in the INI that I've tweaked to 16. But I'm still overriding it with NVCP.

Tweaks to luma sharpening and saturation. Removed HDR as well, since it didn't have much benefit visually and cost a frame or two. Rest is the same I think. Also, I'm running at 1620p while playing, which does wonders to foliage quality.

Interesting.
I'll try it out later then.

How's SweetFX SMAA compared to say, the nvidia control panel FXAA?

I've been wondering about this as well.
I turned off in-game AA since I used sweetfx and so far it's been doing great. I'll have to test it myself later.

Top Bottom