• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC recommended specs run game at 30fps - reddit

This thread, yikes.

The fact that it will run 30ish fps on recommended hardware is a good thing. I expect the game on Ultra to be a visual treat and to be something that is unlikely to be run at 60fps on the newest single card solutions (970/980 and 290x). It means they are pushing the envelope graphically.

If you remember, Witcher 2 was near impossible to max with uber sampling at near 60fps when it released. My GTX 670 still cant get 60fps with uber sampling on, its a beast.

Its similar to Crysis. When that released, there wasn't a consumer system out there that could handle it at max settings. Took a year or two for that to happen. I think this is what you want developers to be shooting for on PC, a game that can't be maxed with current hardware because its so graphically impressive (not because its poorly optimized like Watch_Dogs or the like).

tuxfool

Banned
If i remember correctly, the "new" version of the renderer uses forward+. The skellige island screenshots used the "old" version.
http://a.pomf.se/kdfkxa.webm

So they started out the game with the witcher 2 renderer then moved to the new forward+ renderer?

Why is the engine designer in that link I posted still talking about the limitations imposed by the xb1 on deferred pipelines? It is strange that they would consider it if they had already moved to a forward renderer.

Travolta

Neo Member
This thread, yikes.

The fact that it will run 30ish fps on recommended hardware is a good thing. I expect the game on Ultra to be a visual treat and to be something that is unlikely to be run at 60fps on the newest single card solutions (970/980 and 290x). It means they are pushing the envelope graphically.

If you remember, Witcher 2 was near impossible to max with uber sampling at near 60fps when it released. My GTX 670 still cant get 60fps with uber sampling on, its a beast.

Its similar to Crysis. When that released, there wasn't a consumer system out there that could handle it at max settings. Took a year or two for that to happen. I think this is what you want developers to be shooting for on PC, a game that can't be maxed with current hardware because its so graphically impressive (not because its poorly optimized like Watch_Dogs or the like).

This. People complain when the graphics are downgraded, and complain when the game is too demanding. I too wish CDR would be able to release the game with "Sword of Destiny trailer"-graphics and possible to max it out on a 980, but maybe that is impossible?

RedSwirl

This thread, yikes.

Well... Crysis was also poorly optimized, but your point stands.

Just gonna echo my post from the other thread

What? Just lower some settings and play at 60...
Nothing wrong with a game having top settings aimed at future hardware, nothing wrong at all.

That being said, from the recent screenshots and even from most older footage in general the game looks nowhere near good enough to warrant running at 30 fps on a 980 and i7...
Unless one of the nvidia features like hairworks destroys fps and turning that one setting off would double the framerate I really don't see it.

If something's going to run like that on that hardware I expect graphics like that second unreal engine 4 tech demo (infiltrator) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO2rM-l-vdQ or star citizen or some other amazing looking game.

Are you sure it is forward+? The wikipedia page states that Red engine 3 works with forward+ and deferred pipelines.

see this.
The newest version of the renderer is forward+

Makes a lot of sense since this game doesnt take place in some modern city with tons of lights. Rather material quality and IQ are more important IMO with some medieval styled game.

Rizific

will keep on ticking off those eye candy options in favor of 60fps. however, i dont feel good about my 7950 going into this. might be a good time for a gpu upgrade.

jatt

will keep on ticking off those eye candy options in favor of 60fps. however, i dont feel good about my 7950 going into this. might be a good time for a gpu upgrade.

I've got two 7950s and I am running it on 30 fps on 1440p on high / max.

hesido

Originally Posted by Mifec

Targeting 30fps on PC in 2015 the year of our Lord Hideo Kojima, pls no.

Targeting 30fps on what kind of PC. If you don't specify that, your post makes 0 sense.

Why is expecting 60fps on a PC that out of the ordinary? That should be the bare minimum. Being open world has nothing to do with it.

Again, on what PC with which components, and with which settings?

KHlover

Banned
Can confirm, my i7-4790k/GTX770 4GB/8GB RAM PC only gets to ca. 40fps with everything set to High and texture details on Ultra. Everything on Ultra nets me unstable 30fps with drops to 25fps whenever I'm in a village (strangely enough not in Novigrad though). Still plays very good, RTSS does its job (thanks durante).

Sevenfold

Can confirm, my i7-4790k/GTX770 4GB/8GB RAM PC only gets to ca. 40fps with everything set to High and texture details on Ultra. Everything on Ultra nets me unstable 30fps with drops to 25fps whenever I'm in a village (strangely enough not in Novigrad though). Still plays very good, RTSS does its job (thanks durante).

Does RTSS play nice with your W3?

Sevenfold

Yeah, works great. Game feels really smooth with RTSS locked 30fps.

And even now that I increased the settings and get drops at times it still is a smoother experience than with TW3's ingame caps.

Interesting. I've been avoiding it but may give it a shot.

Journey

Banned

Targeting 30fps on PC in 2015 the year of our Lord Hideo Kojima, pls no.

I'm mostly a console gamer and even I know that there's Minimum requirements, Recommended and Enthusiast.

Minimum is dialing back visuals until the game runs, recommended is the intended visual flair at playable frame rate, Enthusiast is everything maxed out.

Top Bottom