• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Switch Nintendo Seems to Have Abandoned Novelty Features That Set Them Apart

Neoxon

To be fair, the Miis stuck around. But they also kinda took on a life of their own beyond the Wii brand.

Crayolan

None of those things on their own was really that great (other than Miiverse), but together along with other small touches and details they gave Nintendo devices a lot of charm.

It's a shame the Switch lacks that charm, but in the end games trump everything else, so it's not a dealbreaker for me. Hopefully over time with updates the Switch UI will get similar stuff to make it feel more Nintendo-like.

Aroll

I get losing some of that charm. I don't think any of it had to do with sales.

I still don't, and I think Nintendo realizes that and went back to focusing on games.

Maybe people just weren't using them. Nintendo would be the only ones who know how truly active those things are.

Personally only interested in console features that provide good games, ala Virtual Console.

The Switch is just a different thing, a different novelty, and it's much better for it

Things aren't worth doing just because they were always done. The almost hidden and pointless Mii integration is an example of that

Losing MiiVerse and Streetpass is definitely a shame. Especially in the case of MiiVerse where there was little to no benefit to cutting it. At least not having streetpass means longer standby times.

I made a somewhat similar thread a while back questioning Nintendo's decisions to abandon everything non-gaming focused they learned and developed in the Wii U/3DS era.

On the other hand, dropping more of the Wii era image was a good choice.

spelen

honestly I think you're overstating. features that set them apart implied that enough ppl cared about those features and apart from miiverse which is essentially neogaf on Nintendo consoles this was far from the case. Nintendo is better off sticking to making amazing games and innovative hardware. Anything that gets in the way of those two things are useless IMO (hence why I love miiverse)

Brewster123

Neo Member
I honestly don't miss those gimmicks/novelties that much... The Motion Controls and Gamepad had potential, but I found them largely under-utilized or just not that compatible with Nintendo's games (There is only so much one can do with the Wii's motion).

The Everybody Votes Channel was great.

This guy gets it.

Mael

Everybody Votes was fantastic.
I kinda miss the useless channels, you could browse the news quickly just passing through the channels and see the weather too.

Streetpass was fantastic when I lived in Paris. Probably my fav part of the initial 3DS package.

I really miss the DS's clock, I used it all the time as my alarm clock too :lol

Miiverse is probably what I'm going to miss most out of all of them.
Really loved going to the page of Zelda games and helping people there.
It made the process of posting Mario Maker levels a bit long but I really liked the community there.

Also Mii integration was the bomb during the Wii.
Made a million miis, shared them online and got others too.
And then you could see them in Mario Kart and everything.
It was fantastic!
Miis are cumbersome to make on Switch.
And bringing them over from WiiU is fucking horrible.

Only thing I really miss is Netflix/streaming app. Anything else I rather use with my smartphone in my pocket. Including browsing miiverse.

The only thing I honestly miss is streetpass. It was so fun unlocking new jigsaw pieces and registering new miis each time you left the house.

None of that was particularly useful except for Miiverse. I owned Wii, 3DS, and Wii U each since launch and I can count the total number of times I opened any of those features in one hand.

The one feature that truly needs a comeback is the detailed activity log from the 3DS.

Most of that stuff you listed they barely did anything with anyway. I remember IR cards being touted like it was a feature early on, and some games came with cards, but when was the last time that happened? The only thing of that type they've introduced I somewhat miss is Miiverse.

What about 1-2 Switch? Isn't that supposed to be the Wii sports gimmick equivalent?

Not for a separate $50 it isn't.

Malice215

I remember someone making a similar thread a while ago. The Switch would have been priced over $300 if they tried to pack a game with it at launch. Zelda at launch is good enough for me. Since then, there's been multiple bundles out on the market.

The Switch is lacking in basic features because they prioritized making the OS fast and responsive instead of filling it with bloat. They'll probably add crap other time, but I'll take the speed of the Switch over slow downloads and loading screen games.

The novel features of the Switch are the hybrid nature and the joycons. They introduced the system with the signature sound that it makes when you slide them into the Switch. How is that not charming?

The Switch will get its little features in time. It's only been a couple of months.

Regiruler

Joycons.

They lost some stuff and gained some stuff. My only real issue is in regards to things continuing from the Wii U having a negative impact.

Rncewind

seems perfect to me, like others said beside miiverse nothing really of value was lost

i hope soon nintendo gets the other dumb things sorted out (like this you gonna play salmon run because we know what its best for you) and nintendo is finally a full compotent console manufacturer

Feffe

OP, nowadays you can have fun with photos, audios and social things easily with your phone. There's no need of the Photo Channel when you have Instagram.

As they already have a mobile device within them, people are also less reliant to ALWAYS bring with them their portable console. That's why Streetpass was cut.

Miiverse was somehow a bigger loss, I agree, but very few games really used it. And the stamps could very well return, they could be used with standard social platforms (like in Splatoon 2).

In other words, the funny things Nintendo used to do are nowadays done (better) by dedicated apps on smartphones.

I wouldn't say that the Switch has no personality. The "click" sound and the colored overlay when you insert the joycon or the the "dong" sound if you're try to scrolling left touch the news channel or right to the turn off options, Kris' updates in the News (she's a bit like Nikki)...

Also have you tried pressings the analog sticks in the lock screen?

I'm a casual Nintendo fan at best. Hell, I only put like 10 hours in to Zelda BotW and sold it. I fully welcome this change and enjoy it. It makes the Nintendo feel less gimmicky and more enjoyable to use.

jholmes

Nintendo can't even make an interesting OS anymore, let alone interesting hardware. The Wii U and 3DS are intuitive and fun to use -- think of how you minimize and maximize the main menu on the 3DS to view more or fewer icons.

You all seriously thought Streetpass and Mii Plaza sucked?

Anything Nintendo once did and doesn't do anymore sucks. Anything Nintendo could do in the future but has not yet said they will do sucks. There is only The Now.

prag16

Banned
Nah. Imo the only thing of value we have lost is Miiverse.

And virtual console if that never returns. Not interested in having it become a subscription service.

None of those features really mattered though, aside from Miiverse (which was both really neat and very, very strange). I too am glad that Nintendo largely went back to focusing on the software, and really emphasized how the hardware makes playing the software more enjoyable for many kinds of people.

Poyunch

Miis were great but they've lost their sort of novelty as the generations went on. They were the identity of the Wii but now no one really cares. Sort of a bummer too because Miis popping up in games were great.

Streetpass was great in the beginning but it sucked for people not in large metropolitan areas and it eventually became a chore to play Streetpass games as they got more and more complex and abundant.

Miiverse tho. That's a shame, such a great community of shitposting, artistry, and kids acting hilarious on their first online community.

guyssorry

They have the best exclusives, which is what counts. Features would be nice, but i'm not going to buy a system for its features; i'm going to buy it for the incredible exclusives, which the Switch will have plenty of in only its first 9 months.

Cipherr

Those things you mentioned still have demand in the world; but they are now completely soaked up by the mobile market. Shit like the little avatars, and the pictures with the overlays and whatnot...

All that sort of weird quirky stuff is allllll over the 2 major app stores of the mobile market. Consoles and handhelds will never control that particular space again.

Ever.

So sure, they may have moved on, but it was time.

I totally agree with OP. The Switch has a competent OS that's slick, fast, and easy to use, but I've never seen a Nintendo system so devoid of personality, and it's lacking the community-vibe that the 3DS and Wii U had. I mean, it doesn't even have third-party video apps like Netflix, an internet browser, or a Mic or Camera. You can't customize anything about the home screen. It's clearly built 100% as a games machine and nothing else (which is something Nintendo has said before, but it felt more like an excuse for lacking features then, as opposed to now where it's a deliberate choice).

It's not awful, like I can live with it just fine so long as the games are great (which they have been), but it's something I notice every time I turn it on. It's probably what a lot of people have wanted from Nintendo for years, but as someone who only really got into them with Wii and DS, it makes it feel like less than a Nintendo console for me, and definitely a step-back from where the 3DS is right now. Even just the vibes; posting Wii U screenshots to Miiverse felt like "yeah cool I can share this neat moment with my friends and other fans" but the screenshot system on Switch linking to Facebook and Twitter makes it feel like Nintendo just wants me to advertise for them, though that's probably just me being cynical.

I thought Dual-Screen gameplay was the thing I'd miss most with Switch, but an interesting OS with system-specific apps and a fun ecosystem may actually be the thing I miss the most so far.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I argue to the end of days that the 3D in the 3DS was a mistake. It improved so few games, and the cost could have been less or the hardware better without it.

The rest of the stuff was really of so little value to most people they never probably used it.

I buy Nintendo for the games.. and so far the Switch has given a few great ones.. I'm happy with it.

I wasn't so sure the portability of it mattered, but being able to take the game from the TV to my bedroom to finish a game is so great and seamless.

To be perfectly honest........... Perhaps Miiverse aside, nothing of real value was lost.

Yup. Their games are the most important thing and I didn't know about never mind used most of what's listed in the OP.

I feel like the OP is also completely missing the hybrid aspect of Switch. Two consoles in one for $300 is a huge selling point for a lot of families.

Top Bottom