• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Switch Nintendo Seems to Have Abandoned Novelty Features That Set Them Apart

I completely agree OP. Switch is quickly shaping up to be one of my favorite consoles ever, but its severe lack of Nintendo charm in its OS and presentation is a huge sore spot. That desolate silence on the eShop is crazy.

Every time I see a Switch patch/update, I keep hoping it's for an OS presentation overhaul. Every. Time. :(

Laieon

Outside of Wii Sports, I don't think I ever used anything you mention OP. For me, Nintendo's great appeal is their games.

Hopefully this shows Nintendo they don't have to waste their time and effort on all the novelty features like you listed. To me all of those were pretty much worthless (some of them I did not even know they were a thing).

I just want good Nintendo games. If ditching the novelties can have Nintendo developers putting more time and effort into making great Nintendo games I'm down to keep supporting the Switch with my $$$.

Josh5890

Wii had
The Mii & its prolific intergeation
Everybody Votes
And of course, the Wii Sports pack-in

With the 3DS you had things like

Streetpass
Mii Plaza & Games- Puzzle Swap Only

And later:

Miiverse
Badge Arcade, basically stickers

These are the only things that I have/had fondness for. I can understand why one would love all of these things but for me let Nintendo just focus on games.

BTA

I miss Miiverse a little.

Beyond that I find semi-presence of Miis super weird given that you still need to assign one to an Amiibo to use them in certain games.

MrKeinov

I will miss Streetpass. In Japan it might've gotten boring quickly since you'll get so many passes from so many random people, but where I live it's is so rare to get a random pass from a stranger. For 6 years I've only Streetpass'ed 10-20 strangers. I eventually met some of them by guessing who they were from their Mii's. We also held occasional meetups with people from Nintendo forums, SP was the main drive.

I hope they add this to Switch at some point after acknowledging it as a successor to 3DS as well. We almost always have 500x2 Mah spare battery thanks to Joycons. Why cant that be used to power such features while in sleep mode.

Top Bottom