• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•10-12•17 - Giant gorilla, just like in one of those old video games, king

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

yaBi8XT.jpg
CwQ7jXN.jpg
zD7kCmr.jpg
mxckIIy.jpg
G8AByVk.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
78% Kong: Skull Island
9wcOG.gif
92% Logan
kavuF.gif
99% Get Out
3Pj0x.gif
18% The Shack
0hJB1.gif
91% The LEGO Batman Movie
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
n/a Badrinath Ki Dulhania

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Kong: Skull Island' Rules With Mighty $61 Million Debut

”Kong: Skull Island" emerged victorious after a battle of the beasts that pitted the giant ape movie against the Wolverine's last stand. Cresting a wave of good reviews, ”Kong: Skull Island" topped the domestic box office, racking up a mighty $61 million. That handily beat estimates, which had ”Kong: Skull Island" debuting to between $45 million to $50 million.

In its second weekend, Fox's ”Logan" dropped 58% to $37.8 million, pushing its stateside total to $152.6 million. The R-rated comic book adventure is Hugh Jackman's swan song as Wolverine after nearly two decades playing the X-Men member.

”Kong: Skull Island" gets bragging rights for topping expectations, but the film isn't out of the woods yet. It cost a hefty $185 million to produce, which means that it will need to be a big hit overseas if Legendary and Warner Bros., the studios behind the film, want to make a profit. On the domestic front, ”Kong: Skull Island" is also staring down Disney's ”Beauty and the Beast," a live action fairy tale that is expected to premiere to as much as $120 million next weekend. That will likely suck up most of the oxygen in the multiplexes, making it difficult for other films to keep drawing in big crowds.

Legendary and Warner Bros. has grand ambitions for King Kong. The film is the second installment in a planned monster franchise. The first chapter, 2015's ”Godzilla," opened to $93.2 million in the states before topping out at $529.1 million globally. The plan is for King Kong and Godzilla to meet in an epic showdown of primordial creatures. Because of its massive production and marketing costs, ”Kong: Skull Island" will need to do roughly $500 million worldwide to be considered a success.

Set in the waning days of the Vietnam War, ”Kong: Skull Island" exchanges embassy helicopter rescues for oversized primates looming large against a fog-encrusted jungle setting. Jordan Vogt-Roberts, who made splash with the Sundance favorite ”Kings of Summer," directed the picture, with Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, and Brie Larson heading up an ensemble cast. Critics embraced the decision to give an ”Apocalypse, Now" sheen to the oft-filmed story of King Kong, with Variety's Owen Gleiberman hailing it as ”a rousing and smartly crafted primordial-beastie spectacular."

With Wolvie and Kong duking it out, Blumhouse and Universal's ”Get Out" snagged third place. The low-budget thriller about a black man whose visit to his white girlfriend's hometown takes a sinister turn, picked up $21.1 million. It has earned $111 million in three weeks of release — a fantastic return on its $4.5 million budget.

The top five was rounded out by Lionsgate's ”The Shack" and Warner Bros.' ”The Lego Batman Movie," which earned $10.1 million and $7.8 million, respectively. ”The Shack," a faith-based drama, has grossed $32.3 million in two weeks of release. The latest Lego movie has earned $159 million after five weeks.

In limited release, CBS Films' ”The Sense of an Ending," an adaptation of Julian Barnes's prize-winning novel, opened to $42,000 from four locations.

Focus World's ”Raw," a horror film about a vegetarian student who turns to cannibalism, debuted to $25,230 from two theaters.

More to come...

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Nikodemos

Wait, Split has a global box office total of $240 million?!?

On a $9 million budget?!?

Dayum, son. It's probably in the Top 3 of earnings-to-budget of all time.

Impressed Split was made on 9 million.

Very impressed Get Out was made on 4.5 million.

Good opening for Kong, hoping to see it next weekend. Expect B&B to rock the box office next weekend despite the middling reviews. I feel like I know a TON of people that are going to see it and making plans around it.

Wish Lego Batman movie had done better. All in all the top 10 is actually pretty solid money wise and quality wise with a few stinkers in there.

Sulik2

Shame about Kong, over expectaions but still a small open for that budget. It deserves more, super fun movie.

And M Night self financed it.

Shame about Kong, over expectaions but still a small open for that budget. It deserves more, super fun movie.

Wow, say what you want about it him as a director, but good for him. Didn't see it myself but some friends saw it and liked it.

Grossing the budget on opening weekend isn't a bad place to be. It's getting good word of mouth too so it'll hang on and likely make money.

Grossing the budget on opening weekend isn't a bad place to be. It's getting good word of mouth too so it'll hang on and likely make money.

Yea, while B&B is coming next weekend there isn't a movie on March 23 if I'm not mistaken that should steal too much so I think it will be fine. I'ts not going to light the world on fire but it should be healthy.

gamz

Wow, say what you want about it him as a director, but good for him. Didn't see it myself but some friends saw it and liked it.

He also financed The Visit which was a 5M movie and did 100M WW.

I'm sure The Visit afforded him to do the same with Split.

Smart, and he said many times he wanted full control of his movies.

3N16MA

Banned

Not top 3.

E.T. has a better ratio. You also have films with tiny budgets like Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity.

Man, happy to see Get Out holding so well. While all the big blockbusters duke it out for the first position, it's just happily collecting money from audiences who want something a little different than that.

Hopefully this secures Jordan Peele as a director who can do whatever the hell he wants to next as a feature.

I had a feeling about Kong strengthening based on word of mouth. My theater was only half-full Thursday night but everyone was really into it and it sounded like a full house. I think audiences are realizing this is even better than Jurassic World and spreading the word. I hope it can keep it up as BatB and GitS are just around the corner.

gamz

Man, happy to see Get Out holding so well. While all the big blockbusters duke it out for the first position, it's just happily collecting money from audiences who want something a little different than that.

Hopefully this secures Jordan Peele as a director who can do whatever the hell he wants to next as a feature.

With Split and Get Out doing so well it's obvious people are craving original stories. I think it's great and kudos to both. Blumhouse is off to a great start.

gamz

I had a feeling about Kong strengthening based on word of mouth. My theater was only half-full Thursday night but everyone was really into it and it sounded like a full house. I think audiences are realizing this is even better than Jurassic World and spreading the word. I hope it can keep it up as Cinderella and Ghost in the Shell are just around the corner.

I had the same experience on Thursday. Half full, but the crowd was so into it.

gamz

NICE!

Gitesh Pandya‏ @GiteshPandya

$81.6M intl opening wknd for #KongSkullIsland for big global launch of $142.6M. Beat #Godzilla in many mkts. China & Japan to open in 2 wks.

FTF

Yeah, huge success (especially for M. Night as others have said). Some others like that off the top of my head I looked up are Black Swan ($13m budget, $330m ww), The King's Speech ($15m budget, $415m ww), Big Fat Greek Wedding ($5m budget, $370m ww) and of course the all time winner the original Blair Witch with $250m ww of a $60,000 budget lol.

Kong wasn't a very good human movie but delivered on Kong himself. I feel like he is supposed of be the humanity analogue to Godzillas "mother earth" analogue. I'm not sure who I am gonna be rooting for when they fight.

Damn at Get Out. Only 25% drop and managing to make another $20 million. Blumhouse feasting.

Also good for Kong at beating expectations and doing good globally opening weekend.

Godzilla 2014 finished at $529 million WW. Hopefully Kong can finish at maybe $550.

gamz

Kong wasn't a very good human movie but delivered on Kong himself. I feel like he is supposed of be the humanity analogue to Godzillas "mother earth" analogue. I'm not sure who I am gonna be rooting for when they fight.

I think the Marlow arc is very good and added a ton of heart. And Sam Jackson on the other side of the spectrum was also very good.

You know they're going to do it BvS style and have them fight for five minutes before teaming up to defeat Mothra and the rest of those MUTO motherfuckers. I'd be totally cool with that though.

gamz

You know they're going to do it BvS style and have them fight for five minutes before teaming up to defeat Mothra and the rest of those MUTO motherfuckers. I'd be totally cool with that though.

RIGHT! I don't want them to fight to the death or what have you. I love them both and want them to team up to crush some shit.

But they are both territorial so it'll be interesting.

The only thing I'm confident is going to happen is Kong is going to attempt ramming a tree down Godzilla's throat.

My hope is that Pacific Rim gets in on this.

They keep saying Pacific Rim isn't in on this but I have a strong feeling that is total bullshit and they'll pop it in to boost the numbers

Tobor

Good for Kong. I enjoyed it. It's a bit trashy, as a monster movie should be.

It's way better than Edwards boring Godzilla movie.

Also, don't stay for the post credits sequence. Worst I've ever seen.
Tom and Brie checking out concept art? Fuck off, whoever thought his was a good idea.

RIGHT! I don't want them to fight to the death or what have you. I love them both and want them to team up to crush some shit.

But they are both territorial so it'll be interesting.

I just hope there's a scene of Kong running up Godzilla's back and doing a triple Lundy off his shoulders and elbow dropping onto a MUTO's head!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom