• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•10-12•17 - Giant gorilla, just like in one of those old video games, king

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daingurse

Best one in a long time. Had goosebumps.
That roar! Daym.

That shit was hype.

Really hope this movie can have some decent legs. The showing I went to must have been like 40% full, but the audience seemed to be pretty into it. I can definitely see why the budget was so high as well. You could really see the money on screen. CGI was great.

BumRush

That would be only 10 million less than DoFP and way ahead of Apocalypse. That's a damn good result.

Off-topic, but I watched Apocalypse last night. Went in with low expectations and it was...worse than I expected :(

Pretty awful movie.

That's a great Saturday jump for Kong. It's playing like a family film.

That would be only 10 million less than DoFP and way ahead of Apocalypse. That's a damn good result.

It's fine, but considering X-Men Legs in general, it just proves that the franchise will never go beyond a specific "niche", or have very good box office legs.

Slayven

It's fine, but considering X-Men Legs in general, it just proves that the franchise will never go beyond a specific "niche", or have very good box office legs.

Which is a shame, they have so much potential.

GhaleonEB

Theater count went up, too.

Anecdotal: my local theater got A Cure for Wellness and didn't have room for Get Out when it was released; they keep movies for a minimum 2 week run. They dropped Wellness this week and added Get Out. Probably quite a few made similar swaps given its legs.

Belfast

Good for Kong! Heard the director on Doug Loves Movies and he was fully aware of the idea of the movie going public not really being into yet another King Kong movie and promised it wasn't what you think. Then he went on to using Journey and Shadow of the Colossus in describing the inspiration for certain aspects of the film. Totally sold me on it (this is the guy that wants to do the Metal Gear movie, too, I believe).

kswiston

$438M worldwide for Logan.

$596M for Moana, with a pretty good opening in Japan.

Other worldwide updates

La La Land - $417M
50 Shades Darker - $369M
John Wick 2 - $153M
The Great Wall - $327M
Split - $248M
A Dog's Purpose - $140M
Lego Batman - $275M
Resident Evil Final Chapter - $308M

Tobor

Under its current ownership. If someone bothered to adapt the source material with some respect and care, it could be a billion dollar franchise.

Ahasverus

Under its current ownership. If someone bothered to adapt the source material with some respect and care, it could be a billion dollar franchise.
No Marvel Xmen movie would be even close to quality to Logan.

I'm really disappointed by the Logan hold, I thought audiences were going to respond better to good, non cape cbm, but I guess Doctor Bland deserved the money. Fuck everything :(

BumRush

$438M worldwide for Logan.

$596M for Moana, with a pretty good opening in Japan.

Other worldwide updates

La La Land - $417M
50 Shades Darker - $369M
John Wick 2 - $153M
The Great Wall - $327M
Split - $248M
A Dog's Purpose - $140M
Lego Batman - $275M
Resident Evil Final Chapter - $308M

Shame JW2 didn't do more. It was a fun movie.

GhaleonEB

Jordan Peele getting that money.

I'm kinda in awe about how well Get Out is doing. It's well deserved.

At some point the $4.5m production budget becomes a rounder.

"How much did Get Out make?"

"About $150m."

"No, I mean after it's budget."

"About $150m."

It'll make more than that, too. :lol

BumRush

At some point the $4.5m production budget becomes a rounder.

"How much did Get Out make?"

"About $150m."

"No, I mean after it's budget."

"About $150m."

It'll make more than that, too. :lol

Haha yeah. When a movie makes 30-plus times its budget, the budget ceases to matter.

Gonna go watch King this afternoon, most reviewers have issues with the human characters, but I'm just going in expecting a fun popcorn movie.

Anything to wash the bad taste left by Godzilla 2014.

kswiston

Boxoffice.com posted their initial prediction for Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2. They have it at $160M opening weekend and $400M total (dom)

They also bumped the Beauty and the Beast opening to $150M

Sulik2

I think its more likely that Logan is a heavy movie. Lots more repeat business for a comedy like Deadpool then a ringer of a movie like Logan.

Stupid thing for me to not notice, but I honestly didn't notice it until it was directly pointed out to me in an article about Paramount:

I didn't know Disney had decided a little bit ago to reduce production/distribution yearly specifically to spend more money and focus on each individual release they did push through.

They basically changed their business model to a home run derby awhile ago. Now other studios are starting to wonder if that should be their deal, too, instead of covering the full spectrum of sizes.

Jacce

Banned
Almost everyone says Logan is better than 90% of the Marvel Studios movies to date, easily.

That is a movie with more respect and care for the characters and quality filmmaking in this genre since The Dark Knight. So that argument doesn't really hold up.

And hell, your definition also applies to Deadpool, perfectly.

Savitar

Logan is the type of film I would view as being a bigger hit once it leaves the big screen, or it would have been. I got no idea how sales for such things are nowadays but I could see it spreading in a big way when people are able to enjoy it more in their own home.

Disney can afford to do that though

Paramount and Sony can't even GET home runs, and WB's too fucking crazy to even try that shit

kswiston

Disney is becoming increasingly focused on films that they can use as expensive ads to sell all of the related stuff they dabble in. Most of the other studios don't have licensing and theme park empires.

Decado

Logan's drop is higher than I hoped, but it is in line with even Disney super hero films. If it holds well in the come weeks it could still best dofp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom