• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•17-19•17 - King Kong dethroned as Disney continues to BEAST box office

Status
Not open for further replies.

noquarter

Even if this strategy were sound, it would help if they'd marketed the thing. Which they didn't, really.

Portland didn't know it had opened until after the day's first screening.
I've seen commercials for it since I got back to the states in February. Think mainly on Adult Swim, but haven't seen anything else for it. Looks like they chose a demographic for the marketing as well.

Sorcerer

Wow!!! Another movie in the top 10 domestic for Disney most likely. This time they kick one of their own out with Star Wars. I guess Avatar, Titanic, and Jurassic World will never be moved.
6 out of 10 spots.

kswiston

Wow!!! Another movie in the top 10 domestic for Disney most likely. This time they kick one of their own out with Star Wars. I guess Avatar, Titanic, and Jurassic World will never be moved.
7 out of 10 spots.

They will. It will just take a lot of time.

Also, you forgot about The Dark Knight.

EDIT: And technically, the earlier Star Wars films were Fox.

Adding to kswiston's list, there have been 6 films since 1990 to spend at least 20 consecutive weeks in the top 10.

Forrest Gump - 26
Titanic - 26
Dances With Wolves - 25
Home Alone - 25
Ghost - 22
Beauty and the Beast - 20

:eek:

Fantastic opening for Beauty and the Beast. That Saturday figure is one of the most impressive single day numbers in some time, and there's a good chance Sunday is underestimated comsiderably.

It also obliterated expectations overseas with that $180M international opening. We probably won't see the $575M domestic prediction I made, but I'm curious how close to my $1.3B worldwide prediction it can get to.

kswiston

More Worldwide Updates:

Logan - $524M
50 Shades Darker - $374M
XXX: The Return of Xander Cage - $346M
The Great Wall - $330M
The LEGO Batman Movie - $287M
Split - $257M
A Dog's Purpose - $165M ($70M in China so far. Greater than Rogue One)
John Wick Ch 2 - $158M

Sing - $590M
Hidden Figures - $214M

Get Out made $2.9M overseas as of this weekend. Based on the listed territories, I am guessing almost all of that was from the UK. Scandinavia gets the film in April. France/Germany/Italy/Spain get the film in May.

Culex

Banned
Wow I had no idea Get Out's budget was so minuscule. 120 mil profit just with domestic. Someone's paycheck is going to be HUGE.

I'm very curious to see where Beast ends up when all is said and done. I honestly think people are actually underestimating the money it's going to make when all is said and done, but we'll see. Let's see how long the legs are for this.

How is it that we get weekend box office numbers on Sunday morning? How do we know how films did in the weekend when Sunday is barely starting? I'd figure releasing these on Monday would make more sense.

How is it that we get weekend box office numbers on Sunday morning? How do we know how films did in the weekend when Sunday is barely starting? I'd figure releasing these on Monday would make more sense.

Studios can very reliably estimate what the Sunday's numbers are going to be based on the Fri-Saturday numbers that come in.

It's been like this for decades now.

Every now and again a studio will get caught trying to manipulate the box-office game for free marketing with an overestimate, knowing that when the actuals do come in they wont' be reported on as much as the estimates are, but usually, it's pretty accurate.

gamz

years and years of boxoffice data.

kswiston

I'm very curious to see where Beast ends up when all is said and done. I honestly think people are actually underestimating the money it's going to make when is all said and done, but we'll see. Let's see how long the legs are for this.

The only films to open to more than $150M overseas and fail to hit $500M overseas were Mockingjay pt1, Fifty Shades of Grey, Breaking Dawn pt1, and Logan.

Unlike many of the films in the $150M+ club, Beauty and the Beast was also missing a few major territories this weekend, including Japan where it will probably be massive.

It's a shame the new Beauty and the Beast movie wasn't better. It might actually deserve those numbers.

Yeah, I liked it ok but didn't LOVE it like BatB 1991.

I also haven't been recommending it like I have Get Out and Logan and I have zero interest in ever seeing it again.

Enchanted is still the greatest live action Disney "princess" movie (IMO) and it isn't even close.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Studios release their estimates based on current and past trends and theatre occupancy. It's fine-tuned on Monday when all the data is gathered. It's been a system established in the studio network for a long time and are usually on point give or take a few percentage.

zero_suit

Yeah, I liked it ok but didn't LOVE it like BatB 1991.

I also haven't been recommending it like I have Get Out and Logan and I have zero interest in ever seeing it again.

Enchanted is still the greatest live action Disney "princess" movie (IMO) and it isn't even close.

Did anyone seriously think it would be as good as the original?

kswiston

Studios release their estimates based on current and past trends and theatre occupancy. It's fine-tuned on Monday when all the data is gathered

In addition to that, they also have access to Sunday presales data, and can compare said data to walk-up trends on Sat/Sun. Predictions on average are more accurate now than they were 20 years ago.

We still get the occasional surprise, like when Disney low-balled The Force Awakens' opening Sunday by close to $10M.

The only films to open to more than $150M overseas and fail to hit $500M overseas were Mockingjay pt1, Fifty Shades of Grey, Breaking Dawn pt1, and Logan.

Unlike many of the films in the $150M+ club, Beauty and the Beast was also missing a few major territories this weekend, including Japan where it will probably be massive.

Thanks for insight. Let's see how it fares in the weeks/months ahead.

Wow I had no idea Get Out's budget was so minuscule. 120 mil profit just with domestic. Someone's paycheck is going to be HUGE.

It's about 100 mil domestic profit. Despite the film's budget, the marketing of the film for wide release is 25 to 30 million.

shira

$170M.

Holy shit. Who are they going to cast for Mulan if these live-actions are super blockbusters now.

Jason Blum's paycheck, everybody else got paid scale

Peele is gonna rake it in on the next film he does though

$170M.

Holy shit. Who are they going to cast for Mulan if these live-actions are super blockbusters now.

Whoever they want

kswiston

It's about 100 mil domestic profit. Despite the film's budget, the marketing of the film for wide release is 25 to 30 million.

You have to factor in the exhibitor split. So 55% of the domestic take after the theatre's cut is $73M.

I'd guess that production, distribution, and advertising expenses totaled $20M or so. That leaves around $50M in the black from the domestic run to date to be split by those who financed and created the film.

Add in profits from home video, TV licensing, and streaming.

gamz

Jason Blum's paycheck, everybody else got paid scale

Peele is gonna rake it in on the next film he does though

Whoever they want

How does it work with Split? Is Blumhouse only in charge of marketing and whatever else? Like Fox with Lucas?

Whoever they can use to absolutely maximize that Chinese $$$$$$$$

Fan Bingbing will inexplicably play a 17 year old

How does it work with Split? Is Blumhouse only in charge of marketing and whatever else? Like Fox with Lucas?

They probably get a decent cut even though M. Night self-financed

As long as BronsonLee is cast to sing "Make Man Out Of You".

He'll be cast as mushuu the dragon and be promptly eliminated in the first two minutes

That's racist.

I'm ok with all of these ideas because I could live off residuals until the day I die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom