• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•24-26•17 - Beasteality reigns, wee Life for "Teenagers" with attitude @ BO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I guess its just different for everyone. I know tons of people who saw BatB and literally haven't heard one person say they didn't love it.

I didn't love it.

I didn't hate it that much, either.

The women I was with were also familiar with the stage adaptation, and they were pretty meh on the film.

kswiston

Baby Driver has now moved up from August 11 to June 28.

One day an Edgar Wright movie will make decent money, but sadly it looks like we'll have to keep waiting.

• 47 Meters Down (ENTMP) - 6/23
• The Bad Batch (Neon) - 6/23
• The Beguiled (2017) (Focus) - 6/23
• The Big Sick (LGF) - 6/23
• Transformers: The Last Knight (Par.) - 6/23
• 13 Minutes (SPC) - 6/30
• Amityville: The Awakening (W/Dim.) - 6/30
• Despicable Me 3 (Uni.) - 6/30
• The House (WB (NL)) - 6/30
• Wish Upon (BG) - 6/30

Sure, why not!

Anth0ny

• Wish Upon (BG) - 6/30

Sure, why not!

praying despicable me just annihilates transformers legs

come ooooonnnnnnn sub $200m domestic

inb4 $300m in china $950m international

Slayven

• Wish Upon (BG) - 6/30

Sure, why not!

b7pOX75.jpg

Not surprised about Beauty and the Beast's legs at all.

A romantic fantasy from Disney literally prints money. People have been starving for a Disney romance played straight after Frozen, Moana, Zootopia, The Jungle Book, etc. have been good about subverting the typical romance seen in Disney films. I can only now imagine how much The Little Mermaid will do once that's adapted.

Prompto

Banned
• Wish Upon (BG) - 6/30

Sure, why not!
You forgot Spider-Man being released the week after :(

Pachimari

What is the budget of Ghost in the Shell?

I think it can do $260 million ww. I hope for $300 million +.

Disney 2019 has a lot of question marks still, but what we do know of is already insane:

Captain Marvel - 3/8/19
Untitled Disney Fairy Tale (Live Action) - 3/29/19
Untitled Disneytoon Movie (2019) - 4/12/19
Untitled Avengers - 5/3/19
Toy Story 4 - 6/21/19
Untitled Indiana Jones (2019) - 7/19/19
Untitled Disney Fairy-Tale #1 (2019) - 11/8/19
Untitled Disney Animation (3-D) - 11/27/19
Untitled Disney Fairy-Tale #2 (2019) [Live Action] - 12/20/19

Episode IX is no doubt in the 2019 lineup as well. My guess for the untitled 11/19 animated film is the Frozen sequel.

They will highly likely have another Marvel Studios movie. They'll have 3 of them that year for sure. Maybe Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.

-----

Has Power Rangers seriously only made $1.35m in Europe/Australia?

Baby Driver has now moved up from August 11 to June 28.

One day an Edgar Wright movie will make decent money, but sadly it looks like we'll have to keep waiting.

• Wish Upon (BG) - 6/30

Sure, why not!

You forgot Spider-Man being released the week after :(

Oh Edgar you poor man.

So happy with Logan's success, what an incredible film.

what does everyone think its worldwide run will end with?

Think $650 mill is achievable or closer to $600 mill

kswiston

My guess would be around $625M. It could go a bit higher or lower depending on Japan and late legs. A $200M+ bump from The Wolverine. More if we factor in weaker exchange rates in 2017 vs 2013.

hirokazu

Has Power Rangers seriously only made $1.35m in Europe/Australia?
Huh? It made $19m international. I don't know how much in Europe, but yes it only managed $1.35m in Australia. In Australian dollars, so only US$1.03m. It opened fourth behind B&B, Boss Baby, and Life.

It managed to top the box office in New Zealand (B&B hasn't opened there yet) for an astounding ... NZ$284k = US$200k.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Where was that announced? I was looking for a figure the other day.

$120M is on the lower side of what I would have guessed based on the visuals. $250-300M WW wouldn't be a disaster on that budget.

Maybe China will save GitS.

$120M from the Financial Times.

I think overseas market will play well for the film, domestic is where it's an unknown at this point - we'll see in a couple of days. It's a recurring theme with Paramount films: low domestic results, good overseas numbers.

https://www.ft.com/content/6b85feb6-0e62-11e7-a88c-50ba212dce4d

kswiston

$120M from the Financial Times.

I think overseas market will play well for the film, domestic is where it's an unknown at this point - we'll see in a couple of days. It's a recurring theme with Paramount films: low domestic results, good overseas numbers.

https://www.ft.com/content/6b85feb6-0e62-11e7-a88c-50ba212dce4d

Thanks for the link.

I could see Ghost in the Shell having a similar run to Robocop if you bumped the domestic and OS totals up by 30% or so. Their Chinese partner took on 10% of the risk/revenues overseas I believe. I would imagine that it will be in their interest to have the film perform well in China. GitS also looks like the sort of thing that China would like.

Which is crazy since the director's only other film was Snow White and the Huntsman.

That's like a Scott Derrickson-level leap.

Snow White and the Huntsman may not have been a great film, but it looked damn good. Not a surprise that his second film looks good too.

Hell, just look at Joseph Kosinki. His first film was TRON: Legacy, and the Oblivion. Sure, TRON looked better, but Oblivion was still big budget but significantly less than TRON.

I think guys like Joseph Kosinski and Rupert Sanders are in the Michael Bay, Zack Snyder, David Fincher camp of starting out in music videos and commercials where you have 30 seconds to three minutes to make something visually arresting. But nowadays where it's typical to see director jump from Cop Car to Spider-Man and Kings of Summer to Kong Skull Island, a director going from Halo commercials to Tron Legacy is what it is. Although there's an argument to made for Fincher starting with Alien 3, the poor experience had him starting small after that.

All that said, Snow White and the Huntsman already used imagery influenced by Princess Mononoke, so the guy managing to translate GitS visuals to live action isn't too surprising.

kswiston

Around $6.9M for Beauty and the Beast on Monday, down ~49% from last Monday.

If the rest of the week is similar, we are looking at a little shy of $350M going into next weekend. That means BatB could possibly crack the $400M domestic mark in 17 days. Age of Ultron took 24 days.

Here are the second Mondays for the other March-May films with opening weekends within 10% or so of BatB's $175M.

Age of Ultron - $5.4M
Civil War - $4.75M
Iron Man 3 - $4.6M
The Hunger Games - $4.5M
Batman v Superman - $3.2M

The Jungle Book made $4.2M on its second Monday.

None of the films between Age of Ultron ($460M) and The Dark Knight ($535M) opened in the spring for a meaningful comparison. The Avengers made $7.9M on its second Monday, but I think it is clear that BatB isn't going to crack $600M.

BumRush

Around $6.9M for Beauty and the Beast on Monday, down ~49% from last Monday.

If the rest of the week is similar, we are looking at a little shy of $350M going into next weekend. That means BatB could possibly crack the $400M domestic mark in 17 days. Age of Ultron took 24 days.

Here are the second Mondays for the other March-May films with opening weekends within 10% or so of BatB's $175M.

Age of Ultron - $5.4M
Civil War - $4.75M
Iron Man 3 - $4.6M
The Hunger Games - $4.5M
Batman v Superman - $3.2M

The Jungle Book made $4.2M on its second Monday.

None of the films between Age of Ultron ($460M) and The Dark Knight ($535M) opened in the spring for a meaningful comparison. The Avengers made $7.9M on its second Monday, but I think it is clear that BatB isn't going to crack $600M.

Wow, crazy legs

kswiston

Deadline is estimating Civil War's gross participation (box office percentage going to the actors, directors, producers, etc who have profit sharing clauses in their contract) to have been $95M.

That's a lot of fat cheques. I wonder what portion of that was taken by RDJ

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Deadline is estimating Civil War's gross participation (box office percentage going to the actors, directors, producers, etc who have profit sharing clauses in their contract) to have been $95M.

That's a lot of fat cheques. I wonder what portion of that was taken by RDJ

Thats actually really not so much o_O

Really enjoyed the movie.
It closed the loop on the old saga, including wolverine, but it opened it up for the new mutants very nicely. My main complaint about it is the gratuitous overuse of "fuck" and "motherfucker".

OK, thats the bonus they give to the actors? I understood first that this is the money Marvel made overall on Civil War.

Deadline is saying Marvel/Disney made close to ~193MM profit from CW (including DVD/Blu Ray, but not merchandise). Actors/Directors etc took in 95MM on top of what they were already paid, which is a lot. If they took in nothing, Marvel would have had close to 300MM in profit for the movie. For comparison, deadline is saying participation for Dr. Strange was 18MM off 122MM profit, FF was 30MM off 164MM profit, and SS was 35MM off 158MM profit. BvS participation was just as bad, 55MM off 105MM profit.

I don't know what "residuals and over the top" and "interests and overhead" means, but they add up too. Deadline includes those costs along with the actual production and advertising cost.

Just checked and there are now eleven tickets sold for the local Thursday GitS IMAX shows, six for the RPX shows. No weekend times yet.

3N16MA

Banned
I got tickets!

to a free advance screening
that I didn't go to

Then I rented it on Amazon
and still didn't watch it

How dare you insinuate that I watched Tarzan too

Please do yourself a favour and watch the cinematic masterpiece that is The Lenged of Tarzan.

kswiston

Not only is Bronson a major factor in the failure of Nice Guys, but I heard that he was directly responsible for Daddy's Home being a success. You can thank him for Daddy's Home 2 on November 10th this year.

3N16MA

Banned
Not only is Bronson a major factor in the failure of Nice Guys, but I heard that he was directly responsible for Daddy's Home being a success. You can thank him for Daddy's Home 2 on November 10th this year.

That is what he calls the Bronson bump?

Please do yourself a favour and watch the cinematic masterpiece that is The Lenged of Tarzan.

NEVERRRRR

First of all how dare you
Second is that actually a thing

That is what he calls the Bronson bump?

Don't ruin my brand

The Bronson Bump will eventually be shorthand for the fall of civilization, but we don't need to be concerned about that for another six or seven months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom