• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•24-26•17 - Beasteality reigns, wee Life for "Teenagers" with attitude @ BO

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's Disney Pixar, not Disney Animation.
Wreck-It-Ralph 2 is next. The logo was actually just released.

Ralph2poster.jpeg

Yes. It's Breaks, not Wrecks.

tomtom94

So if I've got this right, Wreck-it Ralph is the first official non-Pixar Disney sequel since Rescuers Down Under, yes?

Weird choice but I guess Rich Moore has basically the right to do as he pleases now Zootopia was a hit.

Jacce

Banned
So if I've got this right, Wreck-it Ralph is the first official non-Pixar Disney sequel since Rescuers Down Under, yes?

Weird choice but I guess Rich Moore has basically the right to do as he pleases now Zootopia was a hit.

Walt Disney Animation Studios released a second Winnie the Pooh film in 2011. While they released a Tigger movie prior to that theatrically that was not done by WDA but by DisneyToon. 2011 Pooh film is very much a sequel to the 1977 one and not a reboot/remake/etc.

For only WDA developed theatrical films we have

Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
Ralph Breaks The Internet (2018)

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)
Winnie the Pooh (2011)

The Rescuers (1977)
The Rescuers Down Under (1990)

I also recall a Peter Pan sequel getting a theatrical release, but I'm pretty sure that also wasn't WDAS, since it came around the time of all the direct-to-video sequels that, for all other intents and purposes, the Pan sequel was part of.

Schlorgan

Walt Disney Animation Studios released a second Winnie the Pooh film in 2011. While they released a Tigger movie prior to that theatrically that was not done by WDA but by DisneyToon. 2011 Pooh film is very much a sequel to the 1977 one and not a reboot/remake/etc.

Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

Winnie the Pooh (2011)

The Rescuers (1977)
Was The Rescuers Down Under a theatrical release?

I love Waititi but I don't really expect much of any directors when they work with Marvel/Feige. Would be amazing if Thor 3 turns out to be of similar quality to his other work but I'm not holding my breath on that. We'll see how it goes.

speaking of Waititi and GL guess who was in Green Lantern too btw:
Taika-Waititi-in-Green-Lantern.jpg-640x360.jpg

I completely forgot that, or I would have mentioned it!

I had no idea who he was at the time, and I didn't connect him to GL until recently.

Son Of D

Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

Winnie the Pooh (2011)

The Rescuers (1977)

Frozen 2 is going to be WDA as well right?

3N16MA

Banned
Disney Animation may go through a Pixar phase where they start to pump out sequels along with original films.

Ralph Breaks The Internet
Frozen 2
Zootopia 2
Big Hero 6 sequel?

Tangled and Big Hero 6 (upcoming) have animated shows on Disney channel. Perhaps Big Hero 6 gets a sequel on the big screen as it performed better than Wreck it Ralph.

Yes, and as I recall, it bombed pretty hard. Kind of telling that most people remembering the Disney Renaissance tend to think it went straight from The Little Mermaid to Beauty and the Beast, ignoring Rescuers Down Under being between them.

Frozen 2 is going to be WDA as well right?
Yep.

Kinda weird to think WDAS is doing sequels like this again, but hey, if it's a step toward Zoo2pia/Zoo2polis, and if the sequels are at least as good as Pixar's have been (barring Cars 2, anyway), I'm okay with this.

tomtom94

Tangled and Big Hero 6 (upcoming) have animated shows on Disney channel. Perhaps Big Hero 6 gets a sequel on the big screen as it performed better than Wreck it Ralph.

I would assume the show is taking the place of a sequel, but I'd not be averse to a Big Hero 6 2 (Big Hero 12?). The directors said they were keen around time of release though.

Baby Driver has now moved up from August 11 to June 28.

One day an Edgar Wright movie will make decent money, but sadly it looks like we'll have to keep waiting.

• 47 Meters Down (ENTMP) - 6/23
• The Bad Batch (Neon) - 6/23
• The Beguiled (2017) (Focus) - 6/23
• The Big Sick (LGF) - 6/23
• Transformers: The Last Knight (Par.) - 6/23
• 13 Minutes (SPC) - 6/30
• Amityville: The Awakening (W/Dim.) - 6/30
• Despicable Me 3 (Uni.) - 6/30
• The House (WB (NL)) - 6/30
• Wish Upon (BG) - 6/30

Sure, why not!

You forgot Spider-Man being released the week after :(

The studio releasing it is TriStar (Sony).

Even when Sony is able to get good talent and get a good film made in-house, they still manage to fuck it up somehow. They as a studio deserve all the Ls they get.

Yep...and it has the dishonor of being the only Disney film released during the Renaissance era (their 1990 release, after Little Mermaid and before Beauty and the Beast) to be a commercial bomba ($47M WW gross on a $37M budget).

kswiston

I fully expect Pixar and Walt Disney animation to swap roles at the end of this decade. Allow Pixar to focus on more original films and capitalize on the 2010 Disney franchises

Also, The Boss Baby has some of the worst reviews that I have seen for a animated film from one of the major studios.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting The Boss Baby to be great, but the RT Tomatometer for that film is surprisingly way lower than I expected (28% as of this writing). If this holds, it's DWA's worst reviewed film on the site, and that would be saying a lot since DWA haven't had a film review this bad since 2004's will smith fish (35% RT).

Hopefully Captain Underpants turns out good, and HTTYD3 is as good as the first two, (though I have my doubts on the latter, since Universal will have fully taken the helm by that point). Until then, all I can say for DWA is...

C7S0ouqVAAANACj.jpg

Looking ahead a bit, but... IT already 4 million trailer views and clocked up over 100k tweets today. If they don't mess up the marketing, I think it could hit $60M for its OW.

Boke1879

Looking ahead a bit, but... IT already 4 million trailer views and clocked up over 100k tweets today. If they don't mess up the marketing, I think it could hit $60M for its OW.

I feel like IT will do really well. How many horror movies are coming out between now and when this comes out? It's a movie about a genuine fear (clowns).

And while many people know of IT or at least Pennywise. I feel like a lot of people really remember very little about what aired on TV. Like many said the first half is good, but the 2nd half is boring as hell. This movie is a great way to retell that story.

aBarreras

so are sundays so fucking dead on us cinemas?

i saw that power rangers did like 2-3 millions on sunday and was a little worried, then i saw that belle and beaste made 8 millions and realize nobody goes to the movies on sunday it seems?

I feel like IT will do really well. How many horror movies are coming out between now and when this comes out?
The only high profile horror movie releasing in the summer is Amityville, I believe. It should do strongly (Blumhouse + remake of a well known horror), but it comes out in June, well before IT.

Ketch

Anybody know if beauty and the beast is scene for scene? Seems like it was but I hadn't seen the cartoon in ages.

kswiston

$60M would be Avengers level of record breaking for September :p

Also, Variety listing BatB at $40M this weekend seems overly pessimistic. That would be a 56% drop. Even Batman v Superman did better than that in weekend #3.

Boxoffice.com has the following predictions for this weekend

Beauty and the Beast - $47.5M
Boss Baby - $32M
Ghost in the Shell - $28M
Power Rangers - $18.9M (which would be a good hold for the genre)
Kong - $8.1M

kswiston

Anything that can debut over 30 million next week or is B&B going to be #1 for 4 weekends?

Next week is Smurfs. I think the current tracking is under $30M at the moment, but not by a ton. There are two other wide releases, but neither is expected to hit $15M.

Busty

Banned
It looks like Power Rangers will have a better second week hold than I thought. I genuinely thought that the Power Rangers 'fan base' would all have gone to see the film in it's first week and then it would plummet when no one else would bother to turn up.

I wonder what GITS' destiny will be this weekend? It doesn't look like it's going to throw up any decent numbers but will it truly crater or just disappoint?

Could we be looking at a sub $20m opening? Outside of GAF there has been minimal buzz if any at all.

kswiston

It looks like Power Rangers will have a better second week hold than I thought. I genuinely thought that the Power Rangers 'fan base' would all have gone to see the film in it's first week and then it would plummet when no one else would bother to turn up.

I wonder what GITS' destiny will be this weekend? It doesn't look like it's going to throw up any decent numbers but will it truly crater or just disappoint?

Could we be looking at a sub $20m opening? Outside of GAF there has been minimal buzz if any at all.

We should have a better idea by tomorrow. $30M would probably require at least $2M in Thursday previews. Maybe more. I don't know if GitS has a hardcore fanbase. If presales are much under $2M, we probably should expect much out of the weekend. Sub $20M seems low though. Even the Robocop reboot opened to $21.6M. Total Recall's reboot made $25.6M on its opening.

so are sundays so fucking dead on us cinemas?

i saw that power rangers did like 2-3 millions on sunday and was a little worried, then i saw that belle and beaste made 8 millions and realize nobody goes to the movies on sunday it seems?

What are you talking about? Power Rangers made $10 million on Sunday, and B&B made $28 million. Are you talking about Monday? Because yes, outside summer Mondays and the Monday after a big movie opens, they aren't big.

Harmen

I am part of the target group of Power Rangers and was a massive fan as a 90's kid, but I have zero interest in seeing teenage drama's unfold at this point in time and there are other films that fully satisfy my superhero/giant monster needs. Same seems to go for all of my friends and housemates. I think it is not one of those franchises that can ride successfully on nostalgia. If it were a relatively cheap film I could have seen it become a decent success though.

Also, glad to see Kong is doing well, I need my big monster battle royale with Godzilla and co.

Busty

Banned
We should have a better idea by tomorrow. $30M would probably require at least $2M in Thursday previews. Maybe more. I don't know if GitS has a hardcore fanbase. If presales are much under $2M, we probably should expect much out of the weekend. Sub $20M seems low though. Even the Robocop reboot opened to $21.6M. Total Recall's reboot made $25.6M on its opening.

Excellent point. Under $20m is a very lowball estimate but given how LIFE cratered I wasn't sure whether GITS would suffer a similar fate given that they were both catering to a similar audience albeit LIFE is rated R.

kswiston

Beauty and the Beast passed $750M worldwide yesterday. It will go into this weekend about $2M shy of $350M domestic.

BatB should be pretty close to (or over) $900M by Sunday.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Beauty and the Beast passed $750M worldwide yesterday. It will go into this weekend about $2M shy of $350M domestic.

BatB should be pretty close to (or over) $900M by Sunday.
So at this rate, it's likely breaking $400M domestic by Monday
or Tuesday.

I wonder if it'll top The Dark Knight when all is said and done.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting The Boss Baby to be great, but the RT Tomatometer for that film is surprisingly way lower than I expected (28% as of this writing). If this holds, it's DWA's worst reviewed film on the site, and that would be saying a lot since DWA haven't had a film review this bad since 2004's will smith fish (35% RT).

Dude what the fuck how is this possible. I just saw it and I fucking LOVED it. It's super fun and imaginative as fuck and the animation is beautiful. It's up to 42% now but I feel like that's way low. I don't think it's like a 90+ movie or anything but it's totally not under 50 or 60 IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom