• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•24-26•17 - Beasteality reigns, wee Life for "Teenagers" with attitude @ BO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
How the hell could this happen? The trailers looked amazing.

I imagine the average moviegoer looked at this movie's trailers and went

wtf_is_that_martin_freeman.gif

I never looked good enough to overcome its inherent otherness. The trailers would've needed to be transcendental or something.

New Line is claiming 197M views for the IT teaser in the first 24 hours. The previous record was 139M for Fate of the Furious

I wonder how many of these Facebook "views" studios love to count come from automatic plays from people that aren't remotely interested in actually watching the trailer.

I imagine the average moviegoer looked at this movie's trailers and went

wtf_is_that_martin_freeman.gif

I never looked good enough to overcome its inherent otherness. The trailers would've needed to be transcendental or something.

haha that's exactly what I noticed when I saw the trailer in theaters. a few friends who didn't watch the anime thought it looked like a matrix ripoff and a bit boring.

not that I thought it looked that great either tbh. trailers were meh. Didn't think it would make much of a splash, but I thought ScarJo and the aesthetic could have at least gotten it a better weekend than that.

jett

D-Member
haha that's exactly what I noticed when I saw the trailer in theaters. a few friends who didn't watch the anime thought it looked like a matrix ripoff and a bit boring.

not that I thought it looked that great either tbh. trailers were meh. Didn't think it would make much of a splash, but I thought ScarJo and the aesthetic could have at least gotten it a better weekend than that.

Honestly I thought that at least the people that came out for Lucy would come out for this thing. The marketing department failed at their job.

Kusagari

The trailers didn't do a good job of selling it and all the "killer lines" that I guess were supposed to sound cool just sounded stupid as hell.

They didn't save your life, they STOLE IT

kswiston

Do you think it tops Godzilla WW?

Seems like a good bet. Mojo hasnt updated the international gross since Sunday, but Kong should be sitting at $425-430M WW going into the weekend. I think that at least $80M more from Thurs on is likely for just China and Domestic. It could end up closer to $100M more if holds are good. Add in Japan and international holdovers. Godzilla made $530M.

I wonder how many of these Facebook "views" studios love to count come from automatic plays from people that aren't remotely interested in actually watching the trailer.

Something is going on. The Force Awakens had something like 112M views in 24 hours and has since been beaten by Fifty Shades Darker, BatB, Fate of the Furious, and now IT. They even claimed 100M for XxX. I doubt online trailer watching has skyrocketed in the past 2 years. Fifty Shades and XxX weren't even blockbuster big, let alone Star Wars big.

Boke1879

Seems like a good bet. Mojo hasnt updated the international gross since Sunday, but Kong should be sitting at $425-430M WW going into the weekend. I think that at least $80M more from Thurs on is likely for just China and Domestic. It could end up closer to $100M more if holds are good. Add in Japan and international holdovers. Godzilla made $530M.

Something is going on. The Force Awakens had something like 112M views in 24 hours and has since been beaten by Fifty Shades Darker, BatB, Fate of the Furious, and now IT. They even claimed 100M for XxX. I doubt online trailer watching has skyrocketed in the past 2 years. Fifty Shades and XxX weren't even blockbuster big, let alone Star Wars big.

It straight up has to be due to twitter, facebook etc.

tomtom94

The answer is that Facebook (and Twitter) are getting more and more desperate at their protection racket they call an advertising service. However, it is true that It has very good cross-generational appeal and the trailer views surpassed my expectations.

Yeah, too bad. I got to see it way early and I really enjoyed it. Also want to go see Captain Underpants after I saw what they could do.

Same here, I've never read the books but it looks super fun. I love Disney and Pixar, but something I REALLY like is when studios let their cartoons act like cartoons, which is something Sony Pictures Animation and DreamWorks are really good at (Madagascar also has the same really quick snappy animation). If nothing else at least their movies are visually impressive.

kswiston

Boxoffice.com updated their long range forecast list today. Some interesting entries/changes:

They bumped up Fate of the Furious by a few percent to $118M OW / $283M domestic total.

Still a big drop from the last film, but we might see tracking trend upwards as we approach release.

Boxoffice also provided initial predictions for Pirates 5 and Baywatch

Dead Men Tell No Tales - $61M OW / $170M total

Baywatch - $35M OW / $105M total

Their update next week should have the initial prediction for Wonder Woman

Slayven

Bots, and autoplays

3N16MA

Banned
RTH has his Friday numbers in:

The Boss Bay - 14.3M
BatB - 12.6M
GitS - 7.4M
Power Rangers - 3.7M

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/23714-a-very-bad-weekend-thread-rth-saves-the-thread-on-page-37-boss-baby-143m-batb-126m-gits-74m-power-rangers-37m-not-the-mra-thread-tele-will-ban-you/?page=37

Horrible OD for GitS. The Boss Baby opened between Home and Trolls.

Just looking at a film that was released recently in March and had a similar OD to GitS you find London Has Fallen. 7.5M OD with a smaller Thursday gross and 21.6M OW.

Boss Baby might legitimately double GitS's opening weekend.

lmao

What the fuck
DreamWorks literally did this:
'Hey, remember that one scene in Glengarry Glen Ross where Alec Baldwin shows up and is ruthless?'
'...Yeah?'
'Lets make that character...A bb.'
'...Glengarry made absolutely no money.'

kswiston

$5.6M Friday without previews....

Here's what GitS looks like with the same percentage increases as Power Rangers last weekend

Thursday - $1.8M
Friday proper - $5.6M
Saturday - $7.2M (+29%)
Sunday - $5.35M (-26%)
------------------------------------
$19.95M OW

Busty might end up being right with his sub-$20M opening

jett

D-Member

Here's what GitS looks like with the same percentage increases as Power Rangers last weekend

Thursday - $1.8M
Friday proper - $5.6M
Saturday - $7.2M (+29%)
Sunday - $5.35M (-26%)
$19.95M OW

Coincidentally, that's dangerously close to Speed Racer territory. Although I figure if we adjust for inflation then GitS is actually doing worse lulz.

kswiston

With Fate of the Furious in two weeks, we could be looking at a situation where Ghost in the Shell's domestic total isn't much higher than Lucy's opening weekend.

3N16MA

Banned

Thursday - $1.8M
Friday proper - $5.6M
Saturday - $7.2M (+29%)
Sunday - $5.35M (-26%)
$19.95M OW

Comparing it to something like London Has Fallen makes me believe sub 20M could happen. London did 850K in previews (which is to be expected), 6.7M on Friday, ended up as a 21.6M OW. GitS seems like it's going to lack any kind of surge with walk up sales.

Coincidentally, that's dangerously close to Speed Racer territory. Although I figure if we adjust for inflation then GitS is actually doing worse lulz.

Which means it will be a GAF cult favourite.

Branduil

Thursday - $1.8M
Friday proper - $5.6M
Saturday - $7.2M (+29%)
Sunday - $5.35M (-26%)
$19.95M OW

Just imagine how much less money they would have made if they hadn't whitewashed the story with the proven star power of ScarJo. Truly blockbuster filmmaking would be lost without white people.

kswiston

Beauty and the Beast with the same increases as last weekend:

Friday: $12.6M
Saturday: $20.4M (+62.2%)
Sunday: $15.2M (-25.5%)
-------------------------------------
Third Weekend Total - $48.2M

I'm not sure where Deadline was getting their $44M earlier.

3N16MA

Banned
Beauty and the Beast with the same increases as last weekend:

Friday: $12.6M
Saturday: $20.4M (+62.2%)
Sunday: $15.2M (-25.5%)
-------------------------------------
Third Weekend Total - $48.2M

I'm not sure where Deadline was getting their $44M earlier.

Does anyone know where Deadline gets their numbers from?

Spacebar

I was at work today telling people I saw GitS last night and no one even heard of it except for another nerd guy who I expected to know. I could def see this bombing, but overall I liked it. I hope it does well enough to get a squeal or similar type of movies.

kswiston

Boss Baby using Home's increases (same weekend, same studio, similar reviews, 2 years ago)

Thursday: $1.5M
Friday Proper: $12.8M
Saturday: $18.6M (+45.2%)
Sunday: $12.3M (-33.7%)
--------------------------------------------
Weekend Total $45.2M

Does anyone know where Deadline gets their numbers from?

No idea. They take pride in not being able to extrapolate weekend multipliers though. Their early Friday numbers aren't terrible, but the weekend estimates on Friday morning are always +/- 15% of the actual, which is pretty embarrassing.

Branduil

I'm surprised they even adapted something older like GitS instead of a newer hit like Attack on Titan, which even has the Hollywood bonus point that every character except one is canonically white.

What the fuck
'Hey, remember that one scene in Glengarry Glen Ross where Alec Baldwin shows up and is ruthless?'
'...Yeah?'

It's genius. The sequel will introduce rival babies played by Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, and Joe Pesci.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm surprised they even adapted something older like GitS instead of a newer hit like Attack on Titan, which even has the Hollywood bonus point that every character except one is canonically white.

My hunch is that a few IPs were being considered and producers were taking a wait-and-see approach as to whether anyone would have any success. We know EVA and FMP were being considered at one point or another. Someone had to take the leap of faith and it turned out to be Paramount.

3N16MA

Banned
Boss Baby is huge in Russia. Much bigger than Beauty and the Beast, Rogue One, or Civil War.

I had no clue the film is based off of a children's book. However looking at the description of the book it looks like DW based it very loosely on the book.

Deadline is saying $8M Friday and $23M over the weekend for Ghost in the Shell.

$13.5M and $42M+ for Boss Baby.

GITS before this weekend:

GITS vs. Boss Baby:

GITS vs. FATE:

Thursday - $1.8M
Friday proper - $5.6M
Saturday - $7.2M (+29%)
Sunday - $5.35M (-26%)
$19.95M OW

It's unlikely given estimates, but if Power Rangers squeaks above $20 and GITS below? Magic.

How the hell could this happen? The trailers looked amazing.

No, they looked like Ghost in the Shell, which is frankly, confusing to the average consumer. Which means you have to deliver to the built-in fanbase and that's been split between those who wanted a Japanese actress and those who didn't care.

Like, just from the trailers, what's the pitch?

Branduil

No, they looked like Ghost in the Shell, which is frankly, confusing to the average consumer. Which means you have to deliver to the built-in fanbase and that's been split between those who wanted a Japanese actress and those who didn't care.

Like, just from the trailers, what's the pitch?

S C A R L E T T J O H A N S E N

What the fuck
'...Yeah?'

It's based on a book though so wouldn't it be the author saying that and not DreamWorks?

Ghost in the Shell looked remarkably bland, to be honest. Sure, it's colorful and weird looking, but in a "oh it's some colorful weird stuff" sort of way that doesn't get anyone's attention (like Trancendence - weird looking + star doesn't inherently mean interesting). At least unless they already know what it is. It's the "videogame movie" thing all over again. Like, for a small, dedicated portion of the Assassin's Creed fan base the movie was hype as fuck but to everyone else that shit was "eh? Whatever, already seen the Matrix and people jump off tall shit all the time in movies".

Same thing here. While fanboys willing to give the movie the benefit of the doubt were screaming "OMG TANK SCENE" everyone else was thinking "oh, less interesting Lucy or something". There wasn't anything there to sell general audiences on in the trailers.

kswiston

It's unlikely given estimates, but if Power Rangers squeaks above $20 and GITS below? Magic.

Actually, I sort of skimmed over it looking at the other films, but $3.7M is a pretty terrible hold for Power Rangers. Down 75% Fri-Fri. Even if you take out the Thursday previews, it's down 67%.

We're probably looking at a ~65% second weekend drop unless that estimate increases. Kong made a little over $14M last weekend with the same Friday.

Shit GitS gonna bomb. Anime movies gonna get sent to the back of the line.

It's funny though, that some excused the casting because Scarjo would bring in the American audience but nope! So much for that.

Also I had no faith in Rupert Sanders.

People, please give Power Rangers a shot.
Even in a discount or matinee showing.

Too little now but it really deserves it over Transformers, TMNT, Joe, etc and is how it should be done.

Branduil

Ghost in the Shell looked remarkably bland, to be honest. Sure, it's colorful and weird looking, but in a "oh it's some colorful weird stuff" sort of way that doesn't get anyone's attention (like Trancendence - weird looking + star doesn't inherently mean interesting). At least unless they already know what it is. It's the "videogame movie" thing all over again. Like, for a small, dedicated portion of the Assassin's Creed fan base the movie was hype as fuck but to everyone else that shit was "eh? Whatever, already seen the Matrix and people jump off tall shit all the time in movies".

Same thing here. While fanboys willing to give the movie the benefit of the doubt we're screaming "OMG TANK SCENE" everyone else was thinking "oh, less interesting Lucy or something". There wasn't anything there to sell general audiences on in the trailers.

It's almost like the idea that a "big name" actor or actress can save a bad script and mediocre-at-best director is complete bullshit.

I mean, you look at the original Matrix. It's not like Keanu Reeves was some huge star, in fact his acting skills were widely mocked, even afterwards. The movie gained huge word-of-mouth popularity because of the sheer craft of the filmmaking itself. And a huge influence on its visual style was anime films such as the original GitS. So it's quite possible to sell a movie like that.

But no one involved in this live-action mess has either the aptitude or desire to make that kind of movie. So they grabbed the name, hired a B-list director, copied the iconography of the original film while removing its context, dumbed down the story, slapped ScarJo on the cover and expected it to sell. Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom