• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•24-26•17 - Beasteality reigns, wee Life for "Teenagers" with attitude @ BO

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitzkozan

We are more likely to see studios make a more specific conclusion. Such as female leads in male-skewing genres not being a good bet if GitS, Wonder Woman, Tomb Raider, Captain Marvel, etc all fail in the next two years. It's pretty obvious that female leads can sell films in more female-centric genres like the Disney fairy tale films.

The counterpoint of course is Star Wars.

I just don't see WW and Captain Marvel failing, but we shall see in due time. :p Do I believe that Taraji P. Henson is a bigger draw than Scarlett Johansson? Not even close, but she starred in a movie that appealed and resonated with a portion of the mainstream audience and that made a great return on it's investment. Nobody in Hollywood will conclude that Hanson is a bigger draw, just as nobody should conclude that women can't lead action movies.

A couple of my male friends wanted to see Lucy in theaters because the subject appealed to them, but they don't care about Gits. These friends own an Xbox one, don't play Japanese games outside of Nintendo and give zero fuck about anime.

kswiston

I just don't see WW and Captain Marvel failing, but we shall see in due time. :p Do I believe that Taraji P. Henson is a bigger draw than Scarlett Johansson? Not even close, but she starred in a movie that appealed and resonated with a portion of the mainstream audience and that made a great return on it's investment. Nobody in Hollywood will conclude that Hanson is a bigger draw, just as nobody should conclude that women can't lead action movies.

A couple of my male friends wanted to see Lucy in theaters because the subject appealed to them, but they don't care about Gits. These friends own an Xbox one, don't play Japanese games outside of Nintendo and give zero fuck about anime.

I am not saying that any of those female-led examples will fail (well, maybe Tomb Raider). They could lead to risk aversion if they all do fail though.

Lucy was a big success, but it was also pretty low budget, and therefore didn't have to try and be a four quadrant film.

3N16MA

Banned
The Star Wars brand survived three trash movies in a row. You could have a Star Wars movie starring a pet turtle and it'd make a killing at the box office. I really don't understand what is this power that the franchise has.

It has grown to represent more than simply the films themselves. The original trilogy was massive when it was released and spawned an era of film branded merchandise like no other. The Star Wars world lived on through various forms of media and merchandise without the need for a new film. By the time Phantom Menace was released, Star Wars was strong enough to take the blow of a couple subpar films.

I honestly think it was AotC that truly got a cold reception when it was released. Phantom Menace and RotS hate kind of grew years after they were released.

The original trilogy is what fans still cherish so much and that won't change.

I honestly think it was AotC that truly got a cold reception when it was released. Phantom Menace and RotS hate kind of grew years after they were released.

The original trilogy is what fans still cherish so much and that won't change.

From what I remember it was the inverse: TPM was trashed the moment it came out, while for at least the first year or so after release AotC was seen as better than TPM because "No Jar Jar" and "At least its not boring."

Bad hold for Power Rangers. Seems all the free online advertising only amounted to a decent curiosity bump.

Once again fans saw it in droves it on opening weekend while bad WoM keeps everyone else away.

I am not saying that any of those female-led examples will fail (well, maybe Tomb Raider). They could lead to risk aversion if they all do fail though.

Lucy was a big success, but it was also pretty low budget, and therefore didn't have to try and be a four quadrant film.

I think what may end up being a better example of how a female lead can effect an action movie will be the BO takes of Atomic Blonde vs. John Wick vs. John Wick 2, as long as AB turns out at least decent. There'll still be mitigating factors there (i.e. Summer vs. February open), but I feel like it'll be a decent comp.

From what I remember it was the inverse: TPM was trashed the moment it came out, while for at least the first year or so after release AotC was seen as better than TPM because "No Jar Jar" and "At least its not boring."

Nah. You're right about AOTC getting a bit of a bump because it wasn't TPM and people were relieved (the narrative had become, by that point, "Kids Suck Jar Jar Sucks Suck Suck TRY SPINNING THAT SUCKS") but the Phantom Menace took awhile to become generally disrespected, though. There were almost no real outright negative reviews, although there were a few that were middling. Fan reaction was high for the rest of the summer. It was around fall when people started really going in on it, and by Christmas, the narrative had started to solidify.

What's funny is that this Alexandra DuPont review from a week before the film came out was, at the time, considered a massive outlier, and was basically discounted outright by many fans/readers.

It ended up being, of course, one of the more accurate breakdowns of the film and it's problems to be printed that year.

Boke1879

So many people won't even give it a chance but man the cast was so good and enjoyable.
Pink's actress is definitely my pick for a low 20's Batgirl movie.

It's why I don't understand this narrative about "bad" WOM. Surely my experiences were anecdotal, but every i've talked to in my daily life and around the internet enjoyed the movie and would recommend it to others if they had an interest in seeing it.

That said PR definitely isn't as big as it used to be, and you still have BatB doing it's run and now that Boss Baby movie launching. I do feel we're still getting a sequel. I also feel people put way to much stock in RT scores and they write off certain movies if it doesn't achieve their desired score.

Chumley

Banned
It's why I don't understand this narrative about "bad" WOM. Surely my experiences were anecdotal, but every i've talked to in my daily life and around the internet enjoyed the movie and would recommend it to others if they had an interest in seeing it.

That said PR definitely isn't as big as it used to be, and you still have BatB doing it's run and now that Boss Baby movie launching. I do feel we're still getting a sequel. I also feel people put way to much stock in RT scores and they write off certain movies if it doesn't achieve their desired score.

Well, I just know that based on experience it's remarkably rare for me to enjoy a movie below 40-ish% RT. I recently saw both Independence Day 2 and Suicide Squad for the first time, both around 30 and lower and was actually pissed off with myself for not trusting it and wasting my time watching them. Two of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Sometimes they get it wrong, though. Power Rangers is at 47 and I really enjoyed it. Book of Eli is at 48 and I absolutely loved that movie.

Tobor

Nah. You're right about AOTC getting a bit of a bump because it wasn't TPM and people were relieved (the narrative had become, by that point, "Kids Suck Jar Jar Sucks Suck Suck TRY SPINNING THAT SUCKS") but the Phantom Menace took awhile to become generally disrespected, though. There were almost no real outright negative reviews, although there were a few that were middling. Fan reaction was high for the rest of the summer. It was around fall when people started really going in on it, and by Christmas, the narrative had started to solidify.

What's funny is that this Alexandra DuPont review from a week before the film came out was, at the time, considered a massive outlier, and was basically discounted outright by many fans/readers.

It ended up being, of course, one of the more accurate breakdowns of the film and it's problems to be printed that year.

It was pure and simple denial. The hype was so big for Phantom Menace, the problem had to be with us, right? So the early fan narrative was "the darth maul duel and pod racing were kind of sweet, right?" Which was of course a massive case of Stockholm syndrome that eventually wore off.

YIKES at GITS, bombaland. That black widow flick definitely not happening now.

I think what may end up being a better example of how a female lead can effect an action movie will be the BO takes of Atomic Blonde vs. John Wick vs. John Wick 2, as long as AB turns out at least decent. There'll still be mitigating factors there (i.e. Summer vs. February open), but I feel like it'll be a decent comp.

Atomic Blonde looks interesting. Perhaps I'll have to check it out when it comes. Need to upport action kino.

Power rangers was actually good, damn good

I saw it this afternoon. It was disjointed and awkward at parts. Lot of the art direction was silly. But it was a lot of fun. Which is a hell of an improvement on some particular blockbusters in recent years.

And on top of that, it was actuallymoving. RJ Cyler was great in Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, and he was great here, too. And props to the writers and others in production who stuck with the choices for that character.

Was not expecting that at all.

kswiston

March 2017 ended up being the biggest pre-summer month in box office history at >$1.16B

That includes May. Outside of July, there have only been two Junes (2013 and 2015) and two Decembers (2015 and 2016) with larger monthly grosses.

BumRush

March 2017 ended up being the biggest pre-summer month in box office history at >$1.16B

That includes May. Outside of July, there have only been two Junes (2013 and 2015) and two Decembers (2015 and 2016) with larger monthly grosses.

And May is effectively summer in BO...wow.

Dysun

Power Rangers was better than expected and a well done throwback. My theater was full last night so I had hoped it was doing well.

GhaleonEB

Damn, that review was spot on.

I can't remember the last time I actively rooted for a movie to bomb (okay, maybe BvS), but I'm enjoying watching GitS tank. Especially after reading about that ending, just burn that shit down.

3N16MA

Banned
6.5M Saturday for GitS according to RTH. That is horrid and pretty much locks up a sub 20M OW. The Boss Baby's Saturday gross may top GitS entire OW.

Saturday:

The Boss Baby - 20M
BatB - 19.8M
GitS - 6.5M
Power Rangers - 6.2M

hirokazu

6.5M Saturday for GitS according to RTH. That is horrid and pretty much locks up a sub 20M OW. The Boss Baby's Saturday gross may top GitS entire OW.

Saturday:

The Boss Baby - 20M
BatB - 19.8M
GitS - 6.5M
Power Rangers - 6.2M
Oh wow, Power Rangers almost matching GitS in its second Saturday.

kswiston

BatB is a tad lower this Saturday than last percentage-wise. Boss Baby wins the weekend. $50M for Boss Baby and $47-48M for BatB would be my guess if those numbers hold.

Ghost in the Shell is looking at a ~$19M weekend if the Sat number is accurate.

Power Rangers had a decent Saturday given the Friday number. I would guess $14.5-15M for the weekend. Down 62-64% from last weekend.

Jesus. Mega bomb incoming for GitS. I knew it was going to be bad, but I thought it would gross at least around $30 million. To be sub-20 is horrendous.

Pretty much killed any chance for a sequel.

Ninjimbo

Not going to lie. I feel bad for the filmmakers behind GitS. With the whitewashing controversy and now the poor box office results, it just sucks to see something people worked so hard to build just completely crater. I'm sure they didn't mean to offend anybody. Actually, I'm not sure what they expected when they set out to make an adaptation of a Cyberpunk anime movie.

Man, what a disaster.

jett

D-Member
People running away from anime like the plague.

Disney had it right all along, releasing Ghibli's movies in limited form only!

Zackat

So many people won't even give it a chance but man the cast was so good and enjoyable.
Pink's actress is definitely my pick for a low 20's Batgirl movie.

yo that would be awesome

seriously, I really liked Power Rangers. I've probably thought about it every day since I saw it. I hope they make a sequel with the same cast.

hirokazu

Power Rangers had a decent Saturday given the Friday number. I would guess $14.5-15M for the weekend. Down 62-64% from last weekend.
Yep, not too far off from boxofficemojo predictions.

People running away from anime like the plague.

Disney had it right all along, releasing Ghibli's movies in limited form only!
When the DreamWorks logo came up, I was reminded that Disney was releasing the movie at one point. They must be glad they've got nothing to do with it now. Still, it might be saved by the international haul.

Boke1879

yo that would be awesome

seriously, I really liked Power Rangers. I've probably thought about it every day since I saw it. I hope they make a sequel with the same cast.

Said it before, but I feel we are getting at least one sequel with this cast.

Hopefully they improve on their shortcomings and make the 2nd movie better.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Jesus. Mega bomb incoming for GitS. I knew it was going to be bad, but I thought it would gross at least around $30 million. To be sub-20 is horrendous.

Pretty much killed any chance for a sequel.
People are already declaring victory over it, unaware that the overseas box office might save it.

Branduil

Not going to lie. I feel bad for the filmmakers behind GitS. With the whitewashing controversy and now the poor box office results, it just sucks to see something people worked so hard to build just completely crater. I'm sure they didn't mean to offend anybody. Actually, I'm not sure what they expected when they set out to make an adaptation of a Cyberpunk anime movie.

Man, what a disaster.

It could have been worse, imagine if they'd actually made a good movie and it still bombed.

kswiston

People are already declaring victory over it, unaware that the overseas box office might save it.

Overseas may salvage the film's run, but we dont see a ton of sequels to big budget films that tank domestically and do alright overseas.

Add in all the bad press about white-washing, and I think that GitS as a Hollywood franchise will be quietly shoved under the rug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom