• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•24-26•17 - Beasteality reigns, wee Life for "Teenagers" with attitude @ BO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably safe to say that GitS will make more than Allegiant. :)

Let's just throw this out there again. We shall see as the long game plays out, but this might be round two of me insulting the Divergent series and getting shamed like a punk for it.

I never specified domestic vs. worldwide, but damn. I wasn't expecting GitS to do gangbusters, but at least expected it to outgross Allegiant in the end on some level.

We shall see, Vinny. We shall see. Man, I have been a real dumbass with these predictions this past year.

Like, just from the trailers, what's the pitch?

"THEY CREATED ME. BUT THEY CANNOT CONTROL ME."

Marvelous! Here's my money!

Let's just throw this out there again. We shall see as the long game plays out, but this might be round two of me insulting the Divergent series and getting shamed like a punk for it.

I never specified domestic vs. worldwide, but damn. I wasn't expecting GitS to do gangbusters, but at least expected it to outgross Allegiant in the end on some level.

We shall see, Vinny. We shall see. Man, I have been a real dumbass with these predictions this past year.

At least you didn't bet an avatar on it this time.

Also Ghost in the Shell was bad and nobody with any self-respect should see it. Beat nails Aramaki. Batou wasn't as bad as I thought he'd be. Togusa was criminally under-utilized. It goes downhill from there. The whole film felt like a shitload of missed opportunities strung together.

Glad this shit is flopping.

China's gonna come to rescue again, isn't it?

I get why people are saying this, but I just can't go there personally. Mainly because the end lesson isn't that they shouldn't have hired ScarJo. You put a random Asian actress in that role and keep the rest of the movie the same, does it make it a better movie? I doubt it. Does it mean the movie makes more money? Possible with the worldwide grosses, but I have my doubts there as well. Like with Iron Fist, the first thing they should have done was make a better movie. Hiring an Asian actor on top of that would have been the icing on the cake.

Pachimari

I actually thought Scarlet Johansson would be a bigger draw for the audience, but it seems like it hasn't helped Ghost in the Shell having Scarlet attached.

I also don't care if they have white-washed the main character. If Scarlet delivers, then I'm all for it.

Chumley

Banned
Also Ghost in the Shell was bad and nobody with any self-respect should see it. Beat nails Aramaki. Batou wasn't as bad as I thought he'd be. Togusa was criminally under-utilized. It goes downhill from there. The whole film felt like a shitload of missed opportunities strung together.

Because fuck people who can enjoy movies for cinematography, right? I guess I have no self-respect, us D.P.'s are all weak.

Hyun Sai

It's almost like the idea that a "big name" actor or actress can save a bad script and mediocre-at-best director is complete bullshit.

I mean, you look at the original Matrix. It's not like Keanu Reeves was some huge star, in fact his acting skills were widely mocked, even afterwards. The movie gained huge word-of-mouth popularity because of the sheer craft of the filmmaking itself. And a huge influence on its visual style was anime films such as the original GitS. So it's quite possible to sell a movie like that.

But no one involved in this live-action mess has either the aptitude or desire to make that kind of movie. So they grabbed the name, hired a B-list director, copied the iconography of the original film while removing its context, dumbed down the story, slapped ScarJo on the cover and expected it to sell. Oops.

I wish that was the case, but Lucy was an incredible piece of shit on all parts and incredibly successful. The story was much more simple and even dumber, but still...

I wish that was the case, but Lucy was an incredible piece of shit on all parts and incredibly successful. The story was even much more simple and even dumber, but still...

It was probably just that. The story was dumbed down for certain audience to make it a hit. GitS is in a different territory. People hate anime, they hate complicated ideas, they hate diversity. GitS is that, even though the story is dumbed down. It's a confusing movie that makes you think a bit. Majority of people doesn't like to think too hard, they only want to be entertained.

Lucy is really enjoyable and entertaining mostly because of ScarJo. Sex appeal sells even though the genre is against the grain.

kswiston

Deadline's late night numbers look slightly higher than Rth's for all films. They have a big headline about Boss Baby beating BatB which seems to be a stretch given their listed Friday numbers.

Edit: Actually, Rth is listing $15-15.5M for Boss Baby in a late post. If BatB stays under $13M, and Boss Baby is at the high end of that (and has a great Saturday), it could take #1.

BumRush

Deadline's late night numbers look slightly higher than Rth's for all films. They have a big headline about Boss Baby beating BatB which seems to be a stretch given their listed Friday numbers.

Boss Baby beat beauty strictly Friday vs. Friday?

Sulik2

I actually thought Scarlet Johansson would be a bigger draw for the audience, but it seems like it hasn't helped Ghost in the Shell having Scarlet attached.

I also don't care if they have white-washed the main character. If Scarlet delivers, then I'm all for it.

I think its the marketing. Every trailer for Ghost has looked awful. What we seem to have seen in recent years is that big name actors don't get people to see bad movies anymore. But they can give big bumps to decent movies. Lucy had decent trailers and was at least interesting and Scarjo gave it a nice bump.

kswiston

Boss Baby beat beauty strictly Friday vs. Friday?

Yes. Also see my Edit.

Deadline had Boss Baby at $14.9M and BatB at $13M, but Rth is suggesting that Boss Baby could go a bit higher. If that happens, and if BatB is lower than Deadline's listed figure, we could see a new #1.

BumRush

Yes. Also see my Edit.

Deadline had Boss Baby at $14.9M and BatB at $13M, but Rth is suggesting that Boss Baby could go a bit higher. If that happens, and if BatB is lower than Deadline's listed figure, we could see a new #1.

Wow, never expected that

El Topo

I think its the marketing. Every trailer for Ghost has looked awful. What we seem to have seen in recent years is that big name actors don't get people to see bad movies anymore. But they can give big bumps to decent movies. Lucy had decent trailers and was at least interesting and Scarjo gave it a nice bump.

I liked the first trailer, but most PR afterwards just looked off. I'm not quite sure what they thought would be the hook for audiences to watch this movie.

jett

D-Member
Literally the ONLY piece of media I liked from GitS was the recreation of the shelling sequence. Then I found out they inexplicably changed out the music for the final release.

Never liked the trailers, they didn't look good to me at all.

Actually, I sort of skimmed over it looking at the other films, but $3.7M is a pretty terrible hold for Power Rangers. Down 75% Fri-Fri. Even if you take out the Thursday previews, it's down 67%.

We're probably looking at a ~65% second weekend drop unless that estimate increases. Kong made a little over $14M last weekend with the same Friday.

The Twitch marathon was good for one weekend.

Pachimari

I've loved all the GitS marketing but I can see why the general audience would like it, or not know what the actual hook is. I'm sad it's gonna bomb though. Oh well, at least we'll likely get a Power Rangers sequel.

Pachimari

...I'm not too sure about that. International numbers were horrendous. Maybe with a big opening in China/Japan?
What is the ww no at now? And and when does it premiere in China and Japan? Oh well I did my part buying a ticket in Denmark lol.

Ridley327

Finally, Dreamworks has a winning strategy for their films to perform well: release them against Paramount's would-be tentpoles!

Seriously though, holy shit, did not expect GITS to do this poorly.

Glass

Krispy Kreme must have subsadised half the movie so here's hoping it makes enough for a sequel. And since we're talking numbers, are there estimates for how much companies would have to pay for such product placement? Kinda interesting.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates

1) Boss Baby - $15.5M ($14M without previews)
2) Beauty and the Beast - $13.0M (-45%) - $361M total
3) Ghost in the Shell - $7.7M
4) Power Rangers - $4.0M (-73%) - $55M total
5) Kong: Skull Island - $2.4M (-36%) - $141M total
6) Get Out - $1.7M (-36%) - $153M total
7) Logan - $1.7M (-36%) - $207M total
8) Life - $1.7M (-62%) - $18M total
9) CHiPs - $1.2M (-54%) - $11M total
10) The Zookeeper's Wife - $1.0M
11) The Shack - $640k (-40%) - $52M total
12) The LEGO Batman Movie - $205k (-55%) - $172M total

I stand firm that these days it doesn't matter how popular your main star is, if your targeted audience isn't intrigued or inticed enough to see the movie on its own merits, it's fucked.

kswiston

I updated my Friday post above to contain the Top 12 and holdover drops.

Kong is holding really well. Godzilla made $1.8M on its fourth Friday, after opening about $30M higher. Godzilla went on to make $20M more after today. I think that Kong can reach $175M if it doesn't get completely killed by Fate of the Furious. If not, it should at least hit $170M, matching Godzilla's run past those first 3 days.

Get Out is still doing well, but is seeing more normal drops. I think that $175M will happen, but we aren't going to see $200M. Still one of the best runs in recent years.

Power Rangers was a one week wonder. Better downgrade those expectations to "Maybe it will crack $100M domestic"

Beauty and the Beast will hit $50M (or very close to it) if the rest of the weekend mirrors Friday. Saturday is going to determine whether it three-peats or if Boss Baby wins. We might have to wait for the actuals if Boss Baby is a bit more frontloaded than something like Home.

LEGO Batman is pretty much done. Depending on second run cinemas, it might hit $175M. About $80M short of the LEGO Movie.

firelogic

I get why people are saying this, but I just can't go there personally. Mainly because the end lesson isn't that they shouldn't have hired ScarJo. You put a random Asian actress in that role and keep the rest of the movie the same, does it make it a better movie? I doubt it. Does it mean the movie makes more money? Possible with the worldwide grosses, but I have my doubts there as well. Like with Iron Fist, the first thing they should have done was make a better movie. Hiring an Asian actor on top of that would have been the icing on the cake.

This is true. Hiring Rinko Kikuchi whilst keeping everything else the same wouldn't have fared any better.

Pachimari

Wow, I'm so disappointed how Power Rangers has turned out. Now a sequel is far from guaranteed. What are we doing here in Europe ugh. And poor GitS...

kswiston

So GI Joe Retalliation opened on a Thursday, but had a similar Fri-Sun as Power Rangers on the same weekend. It made $6.4M on its second Friday (down 58%) and made another $50M after that point.

Power Rangers needs $45.5M more to hit $100M. Not looking great.

Boss baby being number one this weekend?

injustica.gif

3N16MA

Banned
Friday Studio Estimates

1) Boss Baby - $15.5M ($14M without previews)
2) Beauty and the Beast - $13.0M (-45%) - $361M total
3) Ghost in the Shell - $7.7M
4) Power Rangers - $4.0M (-73%) - $55M total
5) Kong: Skull Island - $2.4M (-36%) - $141M total
6) Get Out - $1.7M (-36%) - $153M total
7) Logan - $1.7M (-36%) - $207M total
8) Life - $1.7M (-62%) - $18M total
9) CHiPs - $1.2M (-54%) - $11M total
10) The Zookeeper's Wife - $1.0M
11) The Shack - $640k (-40%) - $52M total
12) The LEGO Batman Movie - $205k (-55%) - $172M total

The Boss Baby opened similar to Home which had a 52M OW. It also competed against Cinderella's third weekend which is obviously much smaller than BatB third weekend.

Ridley327

Yes, it will be so good when studios look at Ghost In The Shell and think "see, Lucy was just a fluke, there's no money to be made from action movies with female leads".

The correct takeaway here is that you don't schedule a film with questionable mainstream aspirations in between guaranteed blockbusters and expect to be able to get more than pie crumbs between those two. I agree with others that this should have been moved a less busy month like September, and this coming out now strikes me as Paramount trying to have something, anything out before their fiscal quarter ends in the hopes of having something, anything to brag about.

Jawmuncher

I updated my Friday post above to contain the Top 12 and holdover drops.

Kong is holding really well. Godzilla made $1.8M on its fourth Friday, after opening about $30M higher. Godzilla went on to make $20M more after today. I think that Kong can reach $175M if it doesn't get completely killed by Fate of the Furious. If not, it should at least hit $170M, matching Godzilla's run past those first 3 days.

Get Out is still doing well, but is seeing more normal drops. I think that $175M will happen, but we aren't going to see $200M. Still one of the best runs in recent years.

Power Rangers was a one week wonder. Better downgrade those expectations to "Maybe it will crack $100M domestic"

Beauty and the Beast will hit $50M (or very close to it) if the rest of the weekend mirrors Friday. Saturday is going to determine whether it three-peats or if Boss Baby wins. We might have to wait for the actuals if Boss Baby is a bit more frontloaded than something like Home.

LEGO Batman is pretty much done. Depending on second run cinemas, it might hit $175M. About $80M short of the LEGO Movie.

Speaking of Lego, I hope they don't have high expectations of Ninjago. If Batman can't beat he regular film, there's no chance for that movie.

El Topo

Yes, it will be so good when studios look at Ghost In The Shell and think "see, Lucy was just a fluke, there's no money to be made from action movies with female leads".

I am worried about that, but on the other hand we have BATB wrecking the competition. Now if WW bombs, *that* could be problematic.

kitzkozan

The correct takeaway here is that you don't schedule a film with questionable mainstream aspirations in between guaranteed blockbusters and expect to be able to get more than pie crumbs between those two. I agree with others that this should have been moved a less busy month like September, and this coming out now strikes me as Paramount trying to have something, anything out before their fiscal quarter ends in the hopes of having something, anything to brag about.

Yeah, I just don't see how studios could conclude that women are box-office poison in 2017 given the ludicrous success of Disney. Anime is a very hard sell for mainstream audiences as they couldn't care less for the source material. If you go further, you notice that Japanese games are a much harder sell than in the past, thus why western made games dominate charts regardless of their quality (FF is a big legacy franchise, but it's success pale versus the most popular wrpgs).

kswiston

We are more likely to see studios make a more specific conclusion. Such as female leads in male-skewing genres not being a good bet if GitS, Wonder Woman, Tomb Raider, Captain Marvel, etc all fail in the next two years. It's pretty obvious that female leads can sell films in more female-centric genres like the Disney fairy tale films.

The counterpoint of course is Star Wars.

jett

D-Member
We are more likely to see studios make a more specific conclusion. Such as female leads in male-skewing genres not being a good bet if GitS, Wonder Woman, Tomb Raider, Captain Marvel, etc all fail in the next two years. It's pretty obvious that female leads can sell films in more female-centric genres like the Disney fairy tale films.

The counterpoint of course is Star Wars.

The Star Wars brand survived three trash movies in a row. You could have a Star Wars movie starring a pet turtle and it'd make a killing at the box office. I really don't understand what is this power that the franchise has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom