• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 04•21-23•17 - F8 leads the box office, and drags those who resist

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

2azWCt0.jpg
kxEnPSC.jpg
oZzQMgD.jpg
MhqEJnw.jpg
Mjmk0oB.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
66% The Fate of the Furious
eptv7.gif
53% The Boss Baby
kavuF.gif
71% Beauty and the Beast (2017)
8vteV.gif
81% Born in China
5f4ew.gif
46% Going in Style (2017)
-
aAS8X.gif
25% Unforgettable (2017)
-
aAS8X.gif
46% The Promise (2017)
-
aAS8X.gif
50% Phoenix Forgotten
-
-
-
-
CBq5r.gif
66% Free Fire

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Fate of the Furious' Stays on Top; ‘Unforgettable,' ‘The Promise' Bomb

”The Fate of the Furious" is racing to defend its title at the top of the box office, while a number of new releases including ”The Promise" and ”Unforgettable" are being left in the dust.

Universal's eighth installment in the Fast and Furious franchise proved to be a global box office titan when it opened last weekend to a record-shattering $532.5 million. This time around looks to tell mostly the same story — while domestic grosses slipped 61% from its first to second weekend, the movie is still easily topping the box office with $38.7 million from 4,329 locations.

But slipping domestic earnings (and lower U.S. grosses than ”Furious 7," which pulled over $250 million in its first two weekends versus ”Fate's" current sum of $163.6 million) are majorly overshadowed by the movie's international appeal. A bankable, diverse cast including Dwayne Johnson, Vin Diesel and Charlize Theron is leading the film, directed by F. Gary Gray, to a two-frame global total of $744.8 million and worldwide sum of $908.4 million.

While studios wait for summer season to commence, there are no surprise hits to come of this weekend's releases. Warner Bros.' ”Unforgettable" seems to have slipped audiences' minds, earning $4.8 million in its first weekend from 2,417 theaters.

”It just didn't resonate with the intended audience," said Jeff Goldstein, the president of domestic distribution at Warner Bros. Goldstein stressed that the movie was made for a moderate price, and the marketing was ”targeted and appropriate" for the audience.

The directorial debut of Denise Di Novi stars Katherine Heigl as a scorned ex-wife, and Rosario Dawson as a woman who is newly engaged to the same man. In his review for Variety, critic Peter Debruge lauded Heigl's ”terrific" performance, and wrote that her casting ”savvily exploits the actress's prickly reputation within the industry."

”Unforgettable" joins a string of so-so to disappointing releases from Warner Bros. so far this year, including ”Chips" and ”Fist Fight." At least the Heigl movie had a low production budget ( about $12 million) to minimize losses.

”The Promise," too, couldn't follow through, despite a social media push from stars including Leonardo DiCaprio, the Kardashian sisters and Cher. The movie, from Open Road Films on behalf of Survival Pictures, looks to round out the weekend with about $4.1 million from 2,251 locations — barely cracking the top ten for the weekend.

While ”The Promise" could be considered a massive disappointment for its $90 million price tag, the film's backers hoped it would raise awareness more than earn money. Oscar Isaac, Charlotte Le Bon and Christian Bale make up the central love triangle in the movie directed by Terry George (”Hotel Rwanda"). The film is set during the Armenian Genocide, and bankrolled by the late businessman Kirk Kerkorian who wanted to bring visibility to the systematic extermination to 1.5 million Armenians at the order of the Ottoman empire in 1915 — a politically fraught subject that Turkey continues to deny happened. All proceeds made from the movie will be donated to charity.

Disney's latest animal documentary ”Born in China," a co-production between Disneynature and Shanghai Media Group, is making $5.1 million from 1,508 theaters. Narrated by John Krasinski, the docu earned more than previous films ”Monkey Kingdom" ($4.6 Million) and ”Bears" ($4.8 Million), and is the highest grossing Disneynature opening since 2012's Chimpanzee ($10.7 million).

Cinelou's ”Phoenix Forgotten" opened at 1,592 theaters to an estimated $2 million this weekend. A24's ”Free Fire" raked in only $982,000 from 1,070 spots in its first weekend.

In its fourth frame, Fox's ”The Boss Baby" will bottle up $12.8 million from 3,697 locations, putting it in second place behind ”Fate." Disney's ”Beauty and the Beast" should hold onto third with $10 million from 3,315 theaters.

Warner Bros.' ”Going in Style" should slide into fourth with $5 million from 3,038 spots. The heist comedy starring Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Alan Arkin is targeting an older demo, and saw only a 20% decline in ticket sales from its second to third weekend. ”Born in China" looks to round out the top five.

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Ridley327

G O
W A T C H
C O L O S S A L

I wonder if the film's distributor is big enough to even afford a small wide release. We had to drive to Atlanta to see it, and while it was on plenty of screens in the city, they were all limited to the city.

Real cool film all the same.

Mimosa97

I can't believe that FF8 had a 250 million dollar budget. WTF did they spend all that money on?

Massive paychecks + hollywood accounting.

It's sad to see the promise bombing so hard. I guess people don't care about the armenian genocide. But again I had never heard about the movie until now.

That $900k gross for GitS actually translates to about $50 million weekend profit, more if you use the Hungarian multiplier for The Four Feathers.

Measley

A big cast in a billion dollar franchise with plenty of action. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Yeah, but should a Fast and Furious movie have a budget the size of The Avengers, TFA, or Civil War? Just seems really high.

But then again, its on track to make a billion in less than a month, so there you go. :(

That $900k gross for GitS actually translates to about $50 million weekend profit, more if you use the Hungarian multiplier for The Four Feathers.

Lmao it took me a while to even find it on the chart. Wasn't expecting it to be so low.

The % drops and theater drops wheeww

Yeah, but should a Fast and Furious movie have a budget the size of The Avengers, TFA, or Civil War? Just seems really high.

But then again, its on track to make a billion in less than a month, so there you go. :(

If it's making the same amount of money as them, sure. Furious 7 outgrossed every Marvel movie in 2015 iirc

You can see all the money up on screen. All the location shooting, and all the vehicular carnage and explosions. The film is expensive, and it looks it.

Damn shame Free Fire isn't doing much better considering how great of an action movie it is and the excellent cast. If you haven't seen it, do so.

giphy.gif

Measley

You can see all the money up on screen. All the location shooting, and all the vehicular carnage and explosions. The film is expensive, and it looks it.

Doesn't seem all that hard to believe. Cast, locations, blowing shit up.

It's sad to see the promise bombing so hard. I guess people don't care about the armenian genocide. But again I had never heard about the movie until now.

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that Vinny and Dwayne took a nice chunk of change for this one.

Also The Promise bombing does suck, but I think bringing it out this time of year was a mistake. I think it would have done better in the September-December time frame. Same goes for Unforgettable.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates

Beauty and the Beast - $1100M ($12.8M opening in Japan, it should easily hit $100M there)

Fate of the Furious - $908M ($301M in China without service fees)

The Boss Baby - $320M (greater than LEGO Batman)

Ghost in the Shell - $163M (pretty much done now. Should finish around $170M)

EDIT: Actually, Overseas for the Boss Baby hasn't been updated yet.

Ridley327

The latter has a bigger impact than the former. It also didn't help that reviews were extremely middling and pointed to the film having a bad approach to worthy and deeply necessary material.

Even if the film was great, I have no idea why it was released now, since it's the kind of subject matter that plays far better in the fall than in the summer movie kickoff season.

Considering their racist attitude towards black actors in the past, I wonder what's causing FF8 to be successful in that market considering that FF8 is led by two black actors.

No one sees Dwayne or Vin as Black. They are both racially ambiguous.

Let's be real.

DeathyBoy

Banned

I'd flip it and ask why Marvel's shot like a TV show films cost as much as F and F.

Am I doing it right?

Measley

No one sees Dwayne or Vin as Black. They are both racially ambiguous.

Let's be real.

LoL! That's true.

Do you think Diesel is a bit jealous of the Rock stealing his thunder? Vin's attempts to branch off from the FF franchise has pretty much fallen flat, while it seems that everything the Rock touches turns to gold.

I'd flip it and ask why Marvel's shot like a TV show films cost as much as F and F.

Am I doing it right?

I'm just amazed at how far this franchise has gone since the first film which had a budget of 38 million. Even the 5th film had a budget of $125 million. If you had told me 8 years ago that FF would be on the same level as Star Wars or a Marvel film, I would have laughed.

kswiston

Wow at F8 already over $900M. What's the likelihood of it hitting a billion AND overtaking BatB as the year's highest-grossing film next week?

It will break $1B next weekend. It will not pass BatB worldwide next weekend. It might not pass BatB at all depending on how the latter does in Japan over the long term.

Raguel

It will break $1B next weekend. It will not pass BatB worldwide next weekend. It might not pass BatB at all depending on how the latter does in Japan over the long term.
F8 looks to be hugely front loaded, considering the drops this weekend. It may have already made most of its money, theatrically. I don't think it'll beat BatB but it will come close to it's totals.

LoL! That's true.

Do you think Diesel is a bit jealous of the Rock stealing his thunder? Vin's attempts to branch off from the FF franchise has pretty much fallen flat, while it seems that everything the Rock touches turns to gold.

I would say that Fast spin off with Dwayne and Statham prolly has Vin pretty shook. Fast is literally the only sure thing Vin has left and if Dwayne takes that too...oh boy.

DeathyBoy

Banned
LoL! That's true.

I'm just amazed at how far this franchise has gone since the first film which had a budget of 38 million. Even the 5th film had a budget of $125 million. If you had told me 8 years ago that FF would be on the same level as Star Wars or a Marvel film, I would have laughed.

And them creating a Rock/Statham spin off means we could be getting a billion dollar F and F verse film a year...

I don't know what caused F8 to bump up compared to the other ones tho, maybe Russia?

The only one here that has the proper authority on deciding which movies here are good is me.

But yeah, go watch Colossal.

Bitch you ain't even in here, you a part-timer

Yes, sir.

I wonder if the film's distributor is big enough to even afford a small wide release. We had to drive to Atlanta to see it, and while it was on plenty of screens in the city, they were all limited to the city.

Real cool film all the same.

I will.
When the blu-ray is delivered to me a few months from now. Not my fault.

Judging you all except The Guz, MAKE THE TRIP even though mine was like 5 minutes

I
A L R E A D Y
D I D

How do the DisneyNature films keep getting made? Seems like the audience would be limited, especially with specialty TV channels and Netflix.

WATCH IT AGAIN/DisneyNature movies aren't expected to do crazy numbers, they just like having them

I did. Pretty terrible.

Hathaway kaiju movie bomba

I'ma put you both on ice

I would say that Fast spin off with Dwayne and Statham prolly has Vin pretty shook. Fast is literally the only sure thing Vin has left and if Dwayne takes that too...oh boy.

Isn't he a producer on F+F films as well? I was under the assumption that he makes more than enough $$$ from them to allow him to do dumb crap he wants to do like "Last Witch Hunter"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom