• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0429-050116 - Winter (Soldier & Super Friends) is coming... does $200m+ WW

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
Jungle Book will hit a billion? The movie coming out pretty close to big releases. Even Disney's own Civil War will cut off its gross.

3D hype man. I remember bringing my parents to cinema so that they could experience the 3D after missing out on Avatar.
Hang my head in shame ever since.

Maybe it will crawl past Alice.

kswiston

Jungle Book will hit a billion? The movie coming out pretty close to big releases. Even Disney's own Civil War will cut off its gross.

Jungle Book will probably make another $100M domestic, even with Civil War launching. It will come down to how well the film holds internationally, and how well it performs in the territories it hasn't opened in yet. $900M is locked. Like Zootopia, if it misses $1B, it won't be by that much.

No way it hits 700M. Everyone knows this is a Cap film. I see 800M WW at the end of its run.

Have to agree. CW isn't piggybacking off of the highly acclaimed Avengers like WS did; it's following the tepidly-received Age of Ultron. The general audience undoubtedly is feeling some degree of superhero fatigue and will be wary of Marvel's next bland exercise in mediocrity.

I don't want to lowball like 3N16MA, so maybe $850-900 million at run's end? It'll do about BvS numbers at best if word-of-mouth is perfect, but anything less than stellar lands it at $830-ish. Still though, matching the gross of a movie featuring two of the largest characters of all time is no small feat.

Betty

Banned
It's a joke. I have this topping AoU.

phew.gif

I'd have recognized it as a joke but I was watching a FuturexmDCcomics video and got thrown.

Yeezus you better be joking too.

Sulik2

I've been saying Civil War has a chance to join the $2 billion club. If its well over 200 million in the USA this weekend I think there is a pretty good chance it happens.

ArmGunar

$100M+ OW locked in China
~$200M OW in US+Can
$110M+ from new markets and holdovers

Around $650-700M on Sunday I think, and maybe more

3N16MA

Banned
Not sure why Marvel is pushing back Inhumans. Another 600M+ franchise that no one knows about. Release them all while you can.

BLACKLAC

Not sure why Marvel is pushing back Inhumans. Another 600M+ franchise that no one knows about. Release them all while you can.

It's the smart play long term imo, the amount of resources that would need to be dedicated to it is too much when you are also dealing with Infinity War 1&2 at pretty much the same time development wise. That's not even going into potential spoilers that WILL be leaked by the production(If it's about the royal family coming to earth). It works best as an ending to phase 4 and gives it more time to develop/get a confident director pick.

Patryn

Because Kevin Feige hates Ike Perlmutter, and since he engineered his coup and got away from Ike's grasp and doesn't need his approval to get Captain Marvel done he can kill Ike's pet project.

Or so the rumors go.

milanbaros

Member?

Because the first set of characters are coming to an end. Disney need to think long term.

The next set will be Spider-Man, cap marvel Etc.

I've been saying Civil War has a chance to join the $2 billion club. If its well over 200 million in the USA this weekend I think there is a pretty good chance it happens.

$2b isn't happening in a summer as crowded as this one. It would need a couple months to itself like Avatar, Titanic, and Star Wars all had, and even then a stronger US dollar.

$1.5b is possible, but I wouldn't put money on it.

It's an exclusive club.

What? Titanic too? Damn.

Titanic's 3D rerelease did huge business, especially in China. I think its original run was around $1.7b.

DJChuy

Had no idea Ratchet & Clank came out this past weekend. I go to the movies regularly, and I've only seen a Ratchet & Clank trailer once...last year. Also haven't seen any ads for it.

Great numbers for Civil War. This coming weekend is going to be interesting.

- J - D -

Spider-Man's strong, but even he can't carry them to $2 billion. Come on, now.

kswiston

$100M+ OW locked in China
~$200M OW in US+Can
$110M+ from new markets and holdovers

Around $650-700M on Sunday I think, and maybe more

New markets and holdovers are going to be quite a bit more than $110M unless you think that Civil War will receive BvS drops from holdover business. The markets opening this weekend made $45-50M for Age of Ultron last year, and Civil War has been tracking pretty close to AoU in most territories. Holdovers will do more than $70M off of a $200M start.

My guess:

$260-270M for existing markets through Thursday.
$90-100M for holdovers on the weekend.
$40-45M for the new markets.
$120M+ for China (based on the reports of possible $45M for Friday)
$200M+ domestic

$710-735M, with the possibility of more if overseas territories have good holds and either China or Domestic go beyond what I listed.

Neoxon

Gotta have at least one new franchise to spearhead Phase 4. Plus with the late additions of Spider-Man & Ant-Man 2, it kinda made sense to save Inhumans for the next phase (especially since it was supposed to be released post-IW, anyway).

kswiston

Gotta have at least one new franchise to spearhead Phase 4. Plus with the late additions of Spider-Man & Ant-Man 2, it kinda made sense to save Inhumans for the next phase (especially since it was supposed to be released post-IW, anyway).

It will get pushed back even further if Doc Strange or Black Panther do well enough for a sequel. Phase 4 already has slots automatically taken up by GOTG 3, and Spidey 2. I'm not entirely convinced that Cap is done with his "solo" films either.

Neoxon

It will get pushed back even further if Doc Strange or Black Panther do well enough for a sequel. Phase 4 already has slots automatically taken up by GOTG 3, and Spidey 2. I'm not entirely convinced that Cap is done with his "solo" films either.
Black Panther would likely see its sequel in 2021 given the typical 3-4 year gap between films in the same franchise. Having 2020 for Guardians Vol. 3, Inhumans, & Doctor Strange 2 would make sense (2 sequels, 1 new franchise).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom