• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•23-25•17 - Transformers snore than meets the eye, Woman keeps up with Cars

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
doing my part - on line for Baby Driver

Oh man, they're going all the way on Cable.

The marketing for this movie will be very interesting to see. The first one's marketing was award worthy.

What things are we expecting out of SDCC this year? WB tightening up their scheduled DC movies? Disney revealing the title of Avengers 4 and a new Thor trailer?

Deadpool & Cable and New Mutants are so full of potential - i really hope they nail them

I skipped Baby Driver like I skipped The Nice Guys

DOOMED

You are what is wrong with America.

Of course, I went to a matinee showing of Nice Guys opening weekend (like I will with Baby Driver tomorrow), so maybe I gave it the Phoney Bone curse.

God,+I+pity+Me..jpg

Of course, I did go see Fury Road twice on my own at matinees. That wasn't the huge hit it shoulda been, but still.
Fury Road should been pulling in Fast and Furious numbers.

Is Kevin Spacey the one playing it?
Sony product placements are always hilarious.

His nephew, but Spacey probably bought it for him and took a crack at it beforehand.

Spotting a Sony logo in one of their movies these days is like waiting for Stan Lee in a Marvel movie: it's inevitable, and always exciting.

I'd choose my Wick boys over Mahvel any day of the week.

Thankfully with Deadpool 2 you don't have to choose between the two.

Atomic Blonde is good. I'd put it below John Wick 1, bit too convoluted for my liking sometimes. Very slow to start but there's a big action scene that makes it all worth the trip

and it's a goddamn Children of Men style one-shot, whew

Atomic Blonde is good. I'd put it below John Wick 1, bit too convoluted for my liking sometimes. Very slow to start but there's a big action scene that makes it all worth the trip

Of course it was, everybody does that now.

kswiston

I assume you are JW2 > JW1

Toa TAK

Banned

Starting in 10. Better live up to your glowing review.

Hell, it better be as good as the JW movies.

I assume you are JW2 > JW1

Yeah JW2 knocked it out of the damn park. It's better than JW1.

Atomic Blonde is just more complicated than it should be. If it was simpler like JW was it'd have a lot more heat, though McAvoy and Theron are pretty good in it.

And music wise, Blonde is also very heavily reliant on 80s songs

kswiston

Deadline is saying $5-5.5M for Baby Driver on Wednesday (including previews)

Already halfway there to being a record opening for an Edgar Wright film.

Having watched the JW's the day before yesterday:

John Wick 2 (2017) was better directed because it wasn't the director's first movie, but it still suffers the repetitiveness of doing the same thing too many damn times without explaining why they do. The Accountant (2016), which clearly borrowed the style of the fire fights, is actually a lot better at framing the action in terms of geography and how and where things take place, because that was made by someone was already a director beforehand.
Also, John Wick (2014) had a greater ensemble cast of one well-known actor after another, which made the sequel feel like it had less of a punch to it.

I'd say John Wick is the superior movie in terms of changing things up (also the somewhat overly absurd lighting is amusing, despite being a 'first timer' thing), but the sequel looks and feels better in terms of its action scenes. I do think it's going to be hard to do a third chapter without changing some core stuff though, like doing the action bits in a different way for each shot and not "watching someone play a video game with an aimbot".

Interestingly, the "father figure" trailer for Atomic Blonde shows exactly that difference with a lot more prop weaponizing.
I expect to like that one a bit more than JW.

GhaleonEB

Julian Dennison (Hunt for the Wilderpeople) has joined the cast of Deadpool 2. All is right with the world.

Oh, that's great news. He was so excellent.

Baby Driver was fun for the most part (just got out of it). Couldn't really get a feel for how the audience felt coming out, since there was a whopping nine of us in the theater. No walk outs, at least.

Toa TAK

Banned
Man, Atomic Blonde was so much FUN.

First off, Sofia Boutella is R E D E E M E D after The Mum...

Compared to the John Wick films, for me, I enjoyed it a lot more than the first:

• John Wick: Chapter 2
  • Atomic Blonde
  • John Wick

What kills it for me is that the narrative dances around a little too much for me. It's fine that these spy movies always have some kinda double cross or triple agent, etc. But in this case it started to disrupt the flow a bit along with the framing device. I think a couple characters could've been done without at least. Also, I swear, we need to get away from "THE LIST that has every agent on it". It's tired now, I feel.

And that, are my only cons against the film. I really, really, enjoyed it. It's personality, the bitchin' soundtrack (I'm a sucker for an 80s soundtrack. German bands especially), and the acting from Theron and McAvoy magnetize you to their characters. It's a spy movie that knows full well what it is and is laced with humor throughout even the grittiest fights. There wasn't a moment that I felt was cheesy or lacking of self awareness (John Wick). The soundtrack, humor, fights, and spray-paint titles imbue the feeling of what it must've been like to see David Hasslehoff bring down that wall. Even if you're not a fan of what's been typed here, the one-shot action sequence (that lasts quite awhile, impressively so) is worth the price of admission.

Man, Theron has come a long way from Aeon Flux, huh?

Oh, that's great news. He was so excellent.

Baby Driver was fun for the most part (just got out of it). Couldn't really get a feel for how the audience felt coming out, since there was a whopping nine of us in the theater. No walk outs, at least.

My showing was fairly thin as well. They put it in the dingiest theater with two or three showing a day.

My Baby Driver screening was so dead to the point that they just didn't start the movie and I had to go inform them people were actually sitting in the theater.

With that said, a man loudly proclaimed to his wife and daughter upon walking out "Well that was definitely the best movie I've seen all year" so word of mouth should be good at least.

Wed #s

Baby Driver: $5.7M
Transformers 5: $3.25M
Cars 3: $2.8M
Wonder Woman: $2.77M

Not quite as high as I was hoping for BD, but still nice. Terrible Wednesday for TF5; it may drop close to 65% this weekend.

kswiston

Wed #s

Baby Driver: $5.7M
Transformers 5: $3.25M
Cars 3: $2.8M
Wonder Woman: $2.77M

Not quite as high as I was hoping for BD, but still nice. Terrible Wednesday for TF5; it may drop close to 65% this weekend.

That's a good Wednesday drop for Wonder Woman. -29% drop from the previous day after a pretty high Tuesday bump. It's still hard to judge where the weekend will end up though.

As long as Wonder Woman doesn't drop more than 9.4% today, it will overtake BvS' domestic total to become the highest grossing DCEU film domestically.

Busty

Banned
I wonder how significantly these Homecoming reviews will move the needle regarding the film's box office?

The franchise is a known quantity at this point and we've already been introduced to him in Civil War but given how this is the latest reboot in so many years will this be able to expand beyond the 'usual crowd' like Wonder Woman did?

firelogic

I wonder how significantly these Homecoming reviews will move the needle regarding the film's box office?

The franchise is a known quantity at this point and we've already been introduced to him in Civil War but given how this is the latest reboot in so many years will this be able to expand beyond the 'usual crowd' like Wonder Woman did?

It's Spider-man, plus the Marvel "MCU" banner on it, with Iron Man guest starring, and great reviews. I think it's a safe bet it hits $1B.

Busty

Banned
It's Spider-man, plus the Marvel "MCU" banner on it, with Iron Man guest starring, and great reviews. I think it's a safe bet it hits $1B.

I don't think it's a safe bet at all. Iron Man is really more of a fleeting, cameo appearance and Spidey's appearance in Civil War didn't exactly blow up the box office like some predicted.

I think this will hit but I've seen more predicting US box office grosses over $450m and beyond.

kswiston

Spideys gonna get the billion dollar

Everyone said the same thing with Guardians.

There are no safe bets to $1B right now. Exchange rates are too poor.

Spider-man has a better shot than most of the other superhero films this year though. The only other one with any sort of serious debate regarding $1B+ is Justice League.

I was probably going to see Spider-Man in the theater, but not certain. The reviews have made that a certainty.

So, the reviews matter at least a little.

Top Bottom