• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•23-25•17 - Transformers snore than meets the eye, Woman keeps up with Cars

BumRush

Marvel Studios has 10 straight films over $500M worldwide now. I am pretty sure that this is a record consecutive number for a studio/franchise. Harry Potter is at 9. Pixar was up to 8 before The Good Dinosaur came around. Star Wars is at 8 if you cheat.

Anyone want to make a prediction on when Marvel will see a combo breaker? Do they make it through the rest of their announced slate?

Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony 7/7/17
Thor: Ragnarok BV 11/3/17
Black Panther BV 2/16/18
Avengers: Infinity War BV 5/4/18
Ant-Man and the Wasp BV 7/6/18
Captain Marvel BV 3/8/19
Untitled Avengers BV 5/3/19
Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 Sony 7/5/19

Nah, they make it through unscathed.

Dominator

I'm about to go see Rough Night, had to track it down at a theater 30 min away as the ones closer all aren't playing it anymore, and this theater only has one showing all day.

That movie bombed hard.

3N16MA

Banned
Marvel Studios has 10 straight films over $500M worldwide now. I am pretty sure that this is a record consecutive number for a studio/franchise. Harry Potter is at 9. Pixar was up to 8 before The Good Dinosaur came around. Star Wars is at 8 if you cheat.

Anyone want to make a prediction on when Marvel will see a combo breaker? Do they make it through the rest of their announced slate?

Black Panther BV 2/16/18
Captain Marvel BV 3/8/19

I can't see it. Ant-Man (which is a good film) passed 500M and that seemed like the most likely to miss the mark.

I see 500M for everything on that list including Captain Marvel.

kswiston

I can't see it. Ant-Man (which is a good film) passed 500M and that seemed like the most likely to miss the mark.

I see 500M for everything on that list including Captain Marvel.

Guardians 3 and Doctor Strange 2 are likely to be their 2020 films, so Marvel might hit 20 films over $500M in a row.

Anyone want to make a prediction on when Marvel will see a combo breaker?

Nope. Not with that slate. Ant-Man & the Wasp will probably be the lowest-grossing on that list but even then, it'll still do 500+.
If they ever do a Black Widow movie, I could see it in the 400 mil range, which would still be good.

3N16MA

Banned
Guardians 3 and Doctor Strange 2 are likely to be their 2020 films, so Marvel might hit 20 films over $500M in a row.

At this point it is a well oiled machine of a studio.

Maybe if Captain Marvel misses the mark with critics it could miss 500M but that is a big maybe.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

Black Panther BV 2/16/18
Captain Marvel BV 3/8/19

Ant man sequel could get beat up coming right after IW. It depends how heavily plot involved his character is in IW I suppose. But, it seems safe.

Black Panther could fail because we don't deserve nice things from amazing cast and directors, but that trailer was hype and the comic run it's based off of is too good to fail.

So, probably they make it through unscathed.

Given that DC hasn't dipped below 600m worldwide with exactly one good movie to their name probably means anything with any kind of appeal to anyone worldwide with a budget is gonna make 500m for a bit from here on out.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

Maybe if Captain Marvel misses the mark with critics it could miss 500M but that is a big maybe.

I think their biggest risk is just franchise fatigue. Though, there has been no sign of that and the only franchises that have run into that problem globally are really shitty franchises that made more money than they should have.

They need to handle the post IW transition smartly. If they do they are golden. But any major shakeups coming out of that (losing big name actors, characters) could potentially rock the boat.

But honestly, at this point I think an Avengers made up of their C teamers would probably limp to 800 million globally.

Anth0ny

Those two sandwiched between the mega Avengers movies are going to have a tough time, but assuming the usual good RT score and barring some insane run from another blockbuster a week before/after their release, they shouldn't have any trouble hitting $500m.

Black Panther BV 2/16/18
Captain Marvel BV 3/8/19

The only one that seems even slightly at risk is Captain Marvel, and I only say that because we haven't see anything. The sequels are all locked, and Spider-Man and Black Panther look like they'll easily make it.

And nixing Clone Wars doesn't count as cheating as far as I'm concerned. :p

It is weird to me that Captain Marvel is releasing a mere 2 months before the massive blowoff that will be Avengers 4. Even a month earlier in February would feel like suitable breathing room.

A month is breathing room enough, really. 2 months should be more than fine.

I'm sure K-Swiss knows, but what percentage of most Marvel movies box-office comes in the first 30 days of release?

It's not really box office so much as perception and marketing, in my eyes. The 2019 Avengers film is going to be culmination of eleven years of films, and is presumably going to have just about the most aggressive marketing campaign we've ever seen. Trying to sell a relatively unknown property like Captain Marvel while also pushing for your biggest film ever just two months later doesn't sound like a great idea... but I may be wrong.

El Topo

Given that they've had years to prepare that movie, given all the shit Feige has said over the years, anything but a homerun would be a big disappointment. For me at least.
If that's the movie they fuck up, that'd be really unfortunate.

BumRush

It's not really box office so much as perception and marketing, in my eyes. The 2019 Avengers film is going to be culmination of eleven years of films, and is presumably going to have just about the most aggressive marketing campaign we've ever seen. Trying to sell a relatively unknown property like Captain Marvel while also pushing for your biggest film ever just two months later doesn't sound like a great idea... but I may be wrong.

Solid reasoning...any chance it moves?

Solid reasoning...any chance it moves?
Here's the current February release schedule for 2019

• The LEGO Movie 2 (WB) - 2/8
• Isn't It Romantic (WB) - 2/14
• Untitled Fox / Marvel Film (2019) (Fox) - 2/14
• Bride of Frankenstein (2019) (Uni.) - 2/15

If Black Panther is a huge success next year, I think they would have no problems pushing it forward by a month.

Wait, Avengers 5? Don't you mean 4?
Maybe.
Yes.

Yeah. It'll be fine.

They'll blitz Avengers hard with 30 days to go. They'll blitz Captain Marvel the month before that opens.

I bet they have some sort of plan somewhere that will use the marketing campaigns as some sort of amplifier of each other. Like very early Avengers marketing will make it a point to highlight Marvel. Marvel's ads will highlight Avengers again. Then the movie will drop on International Women's Day, and will blow the fuck up for the next 3 straight weeks, and then after the 4th weekend, the Avengers train will fucking explode towards the finish line.

kswiston

A month is breathing room enough, really. 2 months should be more than fine.

I'm sure K-Swiss knows, but what percentage of most Marvel movies box-office comes in the first 30 days of release?

Here are the 4th weekend totals vs domestic totals for the last 10 Marvel films.

Code:
TITLE				Wkd 4 TOTAL	DOM TOTAL	% Earned in 24 Days
Avengers			$513M		$623M		82.3%
Iron Man 3			$367M		$409M		89.7%
Thor The Dark World		$187M		$206M		90.8%
The Winter Soldier		$225M		$260M		86.5%
Guardians of the Galaxy		$251M		$333M		75.4%
Age of Ultron			$405M		$459M		88.2%
Ant-Man				$148M		$180M		82.2%
Captain American: Civil War	$373M		$408M		91.4%
Doctor Strange			$206M		$232M		88.8%
Guardians of the Galaxy 2	$334M		$390M		85.6%

kswiston

I'm more interested to see the marketing blitz behind Avengers and Episode IX in the same month.

Disney is just going to send everyone in the US a monthly subscription notice in Summer 2019

Untitled Avengers - 5/3/19
Star Wars: Episode IX - 5/24/19
Toy Story 4 - 6/21/19
The Lion King (Live Action) - 7/19/19

Disney is just going to send everyone in the US a monthly subscription notice in Summer 2019

Untitled Avengers - 5/3/19
Star Wars: Episode IX - 5/24/19
Toy Story 4 - 6/21/19
The Lion King (Live Action) - 7/19/19
What are you thinking about Lion King? Does the month clue in anything on it's possible performance?

BumRush

Yeah. It'll be fine.

They'll blitz Avengers hard with 30 days to go. They'll blitz Captain Marvel the month before that opens.

I bet they have some sort of plan somewhere that will use the marketing campaigns as some sort of amplifier of each other. Like very early Avengers marketing will make it a point to highlight Marvel. Marvel's ads will highlight Avengers again. Then the movie will drop on International Women's Day, and will blow the fuck up for the next 3 straight weeks, and then after the 4th weekend, the Avengers train will fucking explode towards the finish line.

Solid reasoning. You guys make pretty compelling arguments.

BGE, how do you respond?

kswiston

What are you thinking about Lion King? Does the month clue in anything on it's possible performance?

They stole WB's Dark Knight/Harry Potter slot

EDIT: Right now, Secret Life of Pets 2 and Spider-Man Homecoming 2 (or whatever they retitle it to) are scheduled to go head to head on July 4th weekend in 2019.

Considering the "If Jungle Book made this much, then surely..." logic didn't fault us with Beauty and the Beast, I think The Lion King will make $700M+ domestically

BGE, how do you respond?
Something something Slayven's opinion on Captain Marvel.
It's Thursday afternoon and I may already be drunk.

BTW, Secret Life of Pets 1 started off strong, but went off the rails within about 20 minutes.

kswiston

BTW, Secret Life of Pets 1 started off strong, but went off the rails within about 20 minutes.

It has an appropriate acronym. No doubt kids are up for a second helping of SLOP though. That might end up being one of the biggest weekends of all time.

Paramount originally had Transformers 6 scheduled for the weekend before, but something tells me that those plans will be adjusted.

3N16MA

Banned
It has an appropriate acronym. No doubt kids are up for a second helping of SLOP though. That might end up being one of the biggest weekends of all time.

Paramount originally had Transformers 6 scheduled for the weekend before, but something tells me that those plans will be adjusted.

Moved to 2022.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if War for the Planet of the Apes ends up being this year's Star Trek Beyond. Reviews are great, but It felt like we had way more hype going into Dawn.

From talking with friends and fam, even though the films are good, people are tired are seeing the whole "Apes vs last remants of humans" plots and want a remake of the first film already with the space ship crashing and Ape civilization in full wing.

kswiston

Theatre counts for this weekend are out. Wonder Woman drops from 529 venues. The Mummy, All Eyez On Me, and Rough Night are hit the hardest.

47 Meters down has the smallest venue drop out of any of the current top 10 (not counting TF5 which is in its second weekend).

Despicable Me 3 did indeed set a new record with 4529 venues. The third Twilight was the previous record holder with 4468 venues opening weekend.

Just got back from Baby Driver. It was...okay.

The performances, cinematography, editing, etc were all very strong. But the whole flow of the film just felt mediocre. I know the whole schtick of it was it being edited to the music (which was done extremely well), but by about 45 minutes in, it just felt like Wright jerking off and making some mix tape and showing off that he can coherently edit a film to random songs. Even when it felt like it was building and building in the tension, it just kind of skids along with no real release.

I am actually surprised at how bland I feel after it. Although, I did try not to speed on the way home while listening to Brighton Rock.

Baby Driver is easily the best film I've seen this summer. Don't feel cold on it, brother.

Hell, might as well rank the summer films I've seen

1. Baby Driver (A-)
2. It Comes at Night (B+)
3. Guardians of the Galaxy (B)
4. Wonder Woman (C+)
5. Rough Night (C)
5. Atomic Blonde (C-)
6. Alien: Covenant (C-)
7. Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (D+)
8. King Arthur (D)
9. Baywatch (D-)
9. The Mummy (D-)
10. Transformers 5 (F)

There is a lot to like in the film. Almost everything is there for it to work and be great. But by the fifth time we see Baby lip singing to a song it starts to get old.

Also, Jamie Foxx is a scary MF in this.

Lima

After watching Baby Driver and finding out my GF hasn't seen any of the other Wright movies we naturally had to change that.

She was a bit cold on Scott Pilgrim, mainly because she thought no girl of Flowers caliber would go for such a loser (I almost wanted to respond by saying hey I'm kinda like the Cera in our relationship) but okay. I can feel with it.

Then we watched Shaun of the Dead which she liked but didn't love. At this point I was in full on panic mode.
I WAS LIKE WHO IS THIS WOMAN.

We just finished Hot Fuzz and she loved it. Called it one of the best comedies she has ever seen and can't stop talking about it.
Whew lad 😅
She is a keeper.

Jamie Foxx and Jon Hamm were so dope in it. Im gonna have to watch it in theaters again. Loved it.

That chase in the third act set to that guitar track (hocus pocus by focus) was fucking nuts. I was geeking out to the way the machine gun fire was timed to the songs guitar riff but also it was just a really fun and fast paced scene to watch as everything went to shit for the characters

Jamie Foxx and Jon Hamm were so dope in it. Im gonna have to watch it in theaters again. Loved it.

That chase in the third act set to that guitar track (hocus pocus by focus) was fucking nuts. I was geeking out to the way the machine gun fire was timed to the songs guitar riff but also it was just a really fun and fast paced scene to watch as everything went to shit for the characters
Did love the use of Hocus Pocus

Top Bottom