• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•23-25•17 - Transformers snore than meets the eye, Woman keeps up with Cars

If The Last Knight does indeed have a $14M weekend, the same legs as Age of Extinction after this weekend will give it a domestic total of $125M.

Here's how long it took the previous films to clear $125M domestic.

Transformers - 5 days
Revenge of the Fallen - 3 days
Dark of the Moon - 4 days
Age of Extinction - 6 days

Holy shit. How the mighty have fallen.

You can only make so many poor films in a row before audiences start catching on

I liked Prince Caspian a lot. That's a shame.
I remember that as one of the most baffling BO performances I've ever personally witnessed. Most people thought it'd make $300M and be a contender for the top film of the summer.

Turns out not releasing it in December was a terrible idea. Also not bright: putting it one week before Indiana Jones 4.

kswiston

Then TF5 joins the illustrious list of Independence Day 2, Alice 2, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Prince Caspian, and Jaws 2. That is, films that dropped 50% or more from a $200M grossing predecessor.

All of those were sequels to original movies. How often do we see this happen in established series with no huge gaps between films?

The Matrix Revolutions also fell about 50%, but at least it was sort of in line with the first film. TF5 misses every film in the series by 50% or more.

kswiston

I remember that as one of the most baffling BO performances I've ever personally witnessed. Most people thought it'd make $300M and be a contender for the top film of the summer.

Turns out not releasing it in December was a terrible idea. Also not bright: putting it one week before Indiana Jones 4.

Caspian got sandwiched between Iron Man 1 and Indy 4. Both films had Top 10 of all time opening weekends (Indy bumped Iron Man out of the #10 slot). At their peaks, Iron Man was #19 on the all time domestic list and Indy was #21. That was a bit of a rough break for Caspian.

EDIT: Speed Racer was also thrown into that particular meat grinder.

All of those were sequels to original movies. How often do we see this happen in established series with no huge gaps between films?

The Matrix Revolutions also fell about 50%, but at least it was sort of in line with the first film. TF5 misses every film in the series by 50% or more.
You're right, that one was sooooo close (50.5% drop-off) that I missed it.

If we expand the criteria to include $100M films, there's a few: Rocky 5 saw it's gross drop to $40M compared to the 4th's $127M, with only five years between the two. Last year's Ice Age dropped 60%

kswiston

You're right, that one was sooooo close (50.5% drop-off) that I missed it.

If we expand the criteria to include $100M films, there's a few: Rocky 5 saw it's gross drop to $40M compared to the 4th's $127M, with only five years between the two. Last year's Ice Age dropped 60%

I guess #5 really is one of those "nah, we're done with your bullshit" markers!

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Is there a way to sort box office results by running time? The last page made me wonder how many sub-90 minute successful blockbusters there are, and I can't think of any.

kswiston

Oh yeah, I meant live action.

Cloverfield is 84 minutes. Zombieland is 81 minutes. Both were over $75M domestic on smaller budgets. I can't think of any blockbuster sized films.

EDIT: Borat made $128M. It's 84 mins.

EDIT 2: Liar Liar was 86 mins and made $181M domestic.

Gravity: 91 minutes
Men in Black 2: 88 minutes (what a shit movie)
Rush Hour 2: 90 minutes
Alvin and the Chipmunks 2: 88 minutes

Nothing else is jumping out at me in the top 200 as shorter

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Cool, thanks for the help guys. So I probably wasn't wrong to feel dropping under 90 is a bad sign.

Anth0ny

this painful death of bayformers is so, so satisfying

plus it's happening while wonder woman is just on FIRE. amazing to see.

kswiston

So Baby Driver will easily be Edgar Wright's biggest domestic film.

What was Bobby's cutoff for "success"? $45M? That is locked.

I have never heard of this comic. Good for the creator though!

Transformers was down 82% from last Friday in China. Worse than expected.

Transformers will be under $100m total after it's 2nd weekend? Back in my day, this franchise pulled in $200m in 5 days without the benefit of 3D.

So, anyone still willing to bet that whole 'Valerian will bomb' thing?

Also, TF5 dropping like a rock is hardly a 'called it', but still.

If The Last Knight does indeed have a $14M weekend, the same legs as Age of Extinction after this weekend will give it a domestic total of $125M.

Here's how long it took the previous films to clear $125M domestic.

Transformers - 5 days
Revenge of the Fallen - 3 days
Dark of the Moon - 4 days
Age of Extinction - 6 days

It can't miss $100M, so I guess it doesn't really matter?

T5 has no shot at $158M. Beyond will already be ahead of Transformers after 2 weekends.

You guys can't imagine the grin on my face right now...

Bronx-Man

Banned
Baby Driver had a full house at my 7:40 showing. I think this one is actually taking off because it's easily the least "weird" Edgar Wright movie.

Big Sick showing was full. Opening night for a critical darling on a limited release, so maybe doesn't mean much. But it's great and I hope it does well.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Baby Driver had a full house at my 7:40 showing. I think this one is actually taking off because it's easily the least "weird" Edgar Wright movie.
Kevin Spacey, Jamie Foxx, Fault in Our Stars/Divergent Star, along with great reviews paves the way.

That's now twice this week I've been surprised at the runtimes of films I've already watched. Gravity with 91 minutes and the first Harry Potter at 152 minutes (was it really that long?)
Chamber Secrets was even longer, clocking in at 161 minutes.

I somehow didn't mind this as a kid, but rewatching it when the finale came out, I definitely noticed how much of a slog it is. Almost certainly the weakest film of the bunch too.

kswiston

Rth has the following for Friday:

Despicable Me 3 - $29.6M
Baby Driver - $7.5M
Transformers 5 - $4.7M
Wonder Woman $4.4M
The House - $2.7M

wachie

EUeRc0s.jpg

They got lucky that no one cared about The House.

Nah, just like Rough Night, that first trailer landed with a thud, so it was pretty obvious at that point it wasn't going to set the world on fire. Not that that makes this a great choice, but it didn't take a whole lot of foresight to see that The House wasn't going to be competition. The actual problem with this release date is the back to back to back weekends of Homecoming, Apes, and Dunkirk meaning that it's going to get pretty crowded at the theaters in terms of screens, and it might hurt the legs of the movie a bit. That and the possibility of Transformers overshadowing it's opening weekend (which is where they got lucky).

Nah, just like Rough Night, that first trailer landed with a thud, so it was pretty obvious at that point it wasn't going to set the world on fire. Not that that makes this a great choice, but it didn't take a whole lot of foresight to see that The House wasn't going to be competition. The actual problem with this release date is the back to back to back weekends of Homecoming, Apes, and Dunkirk meaning that it's going to get pretty crowded at the theaters in terms of screens, and it might hurt the legs of the movie a bit. That and the possibility of Transformers overshadowing it's opening weekend (which is where they got lucky).

I've seen commercials for The House all week and I still don't know what it's about, and I guess the snippets were supposed to be funny? I think I got a glimpse of Amy Poehler in there somewhere too.

Top Bottom