• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•23-25•17 - Transformers snore than meets the eye, Woman keeps up with Cars

kswiston

Here's a graph of box office GAF activity created entirely for my own amusement/curiosity. I have mentioned that it feels like we have been more active in the last couple of years, and aside from some huge spikes last year for BvS schadenfreude the tail end of The Force Awakens, we do seem to have some upward momentum going.

R2hZHQI.png

(I swear this only took 15 mins)

Trying to think of what the bump in 2015 would've been. Probably Avengers 2, but that'd mean Fast and Furious 7 didn't cause much traffic. Stating the obvious that folks can be obsessed with superhero and Star Wars movies. Also surprising that Jurassic World didn't make a big bump considering it topped Avengers.

There's probably something obvious and easily reinforced about humanity's worse nature that four of the five of the biggest opening weekends of all time and the biggest domestic take ever (by $200mil, at that) are on that chart and they're both fucking dwarfed by Batman v Superman eating fistfuls of shit while we point and haw haw like Nelson Muntz.

I know I've been coming here over the last like month or so for Flop Schadenfreude. Mummy, Transformers, and whatever the fuck that Trevorrow film was all instantly come to mind

There's probably something obvious and easily reinforced about humanity's worse nature that all five of the biggest opening weekends of all time and the biggest domestic take ever (by $200mil, at that) are on that chart and they're both fucking dwarfed by Batman v Superman eating fistfuls of shit while we point and haw haw like Nelson Muntz.
xaosslug's brutal Barbara Gordon title probably got some traffic for that thread.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I watched Tomorrowland a few nights ago. That has to be one of the weirdest structured movies I've ever seen. It's like if it took Dorothy 90 minutes to get to Oz.

kswiston

I forgot that I made some of the past threads when I datamined xaosslug's "threads created" search page to speed things up. That explains why most of the years had 24-25 weeks when it should have been 26.

Here's the fixed graph

R2hZHQI.png

There's probably something obvious and easily reinforced about humanity's worse nature that all five of the biggest opening weekends of all time and the biggest domestic take ever (by $200mil, at that) are on that chart and they're both fucking dwarfed by Batman v Superman eating fistfuls of shit while we point and haw haw like Nelson Muntz.

Let Episode 8 or 9 be straight shit and you'll see it again.

kswiston

The BvS opening weekend thread would have been longer if you didn't shell shock one of the mods with Pregnant Batman from Deviantart.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Alright. William Shatner + Borg + Chris Hemsworth. Just shove it all into a blender. Let God and his curious need for a starship sort it out.

200px-TheReturn.jpg

I mean. Sans Hemsworth, Shatner himself already laid the groundwork.

The BvS opening weekend thread would have been longer if you didn't shell shock one of the mods with Pregnant Batman from Deviantart.

It's not even on the list of top 10 most off things I've posted in these threads. Not to mention the crazy proclivities some of you other degenerates have.

Every single one of these threads is started by a guy whose tag talks about drenching people in pre-cum.

But a fucking drawing of pregnant Batman put ModBot on tilt.

Wild shit.

Let Episode 8 or 9 be straight shit and you'll see it again.

I think one of the mainline saga films tanking might actually affect the site stability. It'd be that much a feeding frenzy

Expect tons of Avengers #200 panels for when Danvers shows up in Infinity War.

Oh god.

I remember finding out about that while producing an episode of X-Plain the X-Men and just goggling at them as they were relaying the story.

Actually grabbed the book they were using as reference and was leafing through it during recording like "holy shit."

Toa TAK

Banned
Oh god.

I remember finding out about that while producing an episode of X-Plain the X-Men and just goggling at them as they were relaying the story.

Actually grabbed the book they were using as reference and was leafing through it during recording like "holy shit."
Lol

Is that recorded, did that make it in?

kswiston

I'm sure we'll get one of those "Everything you need to know about Captain Marvel" threads next year. Half of the posts will be about that, and the other half will be Slayven explaining why Captain Marvels that no one has heard of were all better than Carol.

It's so bad. Claremont ended up using an Annual to have Danvers scream at the Avengers(he made her a X-Men supporting character for a while) and editorial.

Probably one of the worst Marvel comics ever along with Marville, Trouble, a Power Pack book that sucked so much the next team revealed it was all clones or copies and parts of the Clone Saga.

Btw, Bobby, I love X-Plain The X-Men. Listened to the latest 10 episodes on the flight to LA.

kswiston

It's so bad. Claremont ended up using an Annual to have Danvers scream at the Avengers(he made her a X-Men supporting character for a while) and editorial.

Probably one of the worst Marvel comics ever along with Marville, Trouble, a Power Pack book that sucked so much the next team revealed it was all clones or copies and parts of the Clone Saga.

Btw, Bobby, I love X-Plain The X-Men. Listened to the latest 10 episodes on the flight to LA.

Marvel has done a lot of messed up arcs involving pregnancy/babies. That might be the worst, but you could probably stretch it out to a top 10 if you did some digging.

http://www.cbr.com/meta-messages-chris-claremont-sticks-up-for-ms-marvel/

Claremont's panels, if anyone wants to read them.

I'll give Slay this:

I've always liked Monica Rambeau better than Carol Danvers.

If Cap Marvel somehow ends up leading to an Ultimates movie, I think all will be forgiven. Also, I'm still trying to figure out who they're going to make her love interest in the movie, mainly because Brie Larson seems too young for them to pair her up with Don Cheadle.

Edit: Which is why my slightly out there prediction is that they're going to make her a lesbian.

Marvel has done a lot of messed up arcs involving pregnancy/babies. That might be the worst, but you could probably stretch it out to a top 10 if you did some digging.
Trouble involves
young versions of Aunt May, Uncle Ben, Peter's dad and Peter's mom having sex and screwing around while working. Then May gets pregnant but Ben is sterile...

http://www.cbr.com/meta-messages-chris-claremont-sticks-up-for-ms-marvel/

Claremont's panels, if anyone wants to read them.

If Cap Marvel somehow ends up leading to an Ultimates movie, I think all will be forgiven. Also, I'm still trying to figure out who they're going to make her love interest in the movie, mainly because Brie Larson seems too young for them to pair her up with Don Cheadle.

Edit: Which is why my slightly out there prediction is that they're going to make her a lesbian.
I'd love it if they made Danvers/Drew finally canon but she's probably hooking up with War Machine if he survives the phase. Still can't believe we were supposed to like their relationship and be sad in CWII.

I'd love it if they made Danvers/Drew finally canon but she's probably hooking up with War Machine if he survives the phase. Still can't believe we were supposed to like their relationship and be sad in CWII.

I think one of the things that has come out of the "Sony Marvel Universe" (god, I hate that name so much) talks is that Sony does have the ability to use Spider-Woman in a movie.

Slayven

Here's a graph of box office GAF activity created entirely for my own amusement/curiosity. I have mentioned that it feels like we have been more active in the last couple of years, and aside from some huge spikes last year for BvS schadenfreude the tail end of The Force Awakens, we do seem to have some upward momentum going.

R2hZHQI.png

(I swear this only took 15 mins)
You got one of those movie conspiracy theory walls don't ypu?
There's probably something obvious and easily reinforced about humanity's worse nature that four of the five of the biggest opening weekends of all time and the biggest domestic take ever (by $200mil, at that) are on that chart and they're both fucking dwarfed by Batman v Superman eating fistfuls of shit while we point and haw haw like Nelson Muntz.
But Bobby Roberts i crack jokes to the movie community
God, imagine if Solo(not the shitty Marvel character) and IX ends up doing below expectations.

(Have we heard anything about the Solo budget pre-reshoots without Lord & Miller?)
I was laying in bed preping to sleep the sleep of the just, when i suddenly didn't feel right. I said let me check gaf. And find Solo slander? Not today satan. Not today. You just made the list
Alright. William Shatner + Borg + Chris Hemsworth. Just shove it all into a blender. Let God and his curious need for a starship sort it out.

200px-TheReturn.jpg

I mean. Sans Hemsworth, Shatner himself already laid the groundwork.
The married couple that ghost wrote that had a hilarious interview about the series in the old days of the net
No on ever talks about the time Power Girl's grandfather got her pregnant for a magical experiment

Thanks! I remember them pitching me on it and being amazed at how ambitious they were. So I said yes. I haven't done any episodes since like, the 54th or 55th? Something like that.

I know Miles is doing a Thor-based spinoff now, too.

and yeah: Genre entertainment has historically not been real understanding of reproductive issues. Or even the process, really. A lot of people basically treat it like body horror in their fiction. There was a really interesting essay that went around recently regarding Padme in Revenge of the Sith that traced back how hollow and ridiculous her character was thanks not just to Lucas' terrible ear for dialog, and his inability to concieve of Padme in any other terms but as a plot device for Anakin - but his apparent inability to understand how pregnancy works at all.

Short version: Genre entertainment is largely written by dudes, and a lot of those dudes largely think of pregnancy as this weird alien Cronenbergian thing they don't really wanna know much about at all if they don't have to.

I was laying in bed preping to sleep the sleep of the just, when i suddenly didn't feel right. I said let me check gaf. And find Solo slander? Not today satan. Not today. You just made the list

To clarify, I think the Solo being spoken of is HAN, not the low-budget B-Movie of the same name starring Mario Van Peebles.

Thanks! I remember them pitching me on it and being amazed at how ambitious they were. So I said yes. I haven't done any episodes since like, the 54th or 55th? Something like that.

I know Miles is doing a Thor-based spinoff now, too.

and yeah: Genre entertainment has historically not been real understanding of reproductive issues. Or even the process, really. A lot of people basically treat it like body horror in their fiction. There was a really interesting essay that went around recently regarding Padme in Revenge of the Sith that traced back how hollow and ridiculous her character was thanks not just to Lucas' terrible ear for dialog, and his inability to concieve of Padme in any other terms but as a plot device for Anakin - but his apparent inability to understand how pregnancy works at all.

Short version: Genre entertainment is largely written by dudes, and a lot of those dudes largely think of pregnancy as this weird alien Cronenbergian thing they don't really wanna know much about at all if they don't have to.

To clarify, I think the Solo being spoken of is HAN, not the low-budget B-Movie of the same name starring Mario Van Peebles.
I think he's mad I hate Solo, the Marvel character so popular he got a solo book a year ago spinning out of Deadpool:
The book was cancelled and turned into a 5 issue mini before the first issue even got to retailers

Hayter was asked to make Logan american. Wow.

Top Bottom