• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•14-16•17 - Audiences go Ape, Sick of Spider-man and Wonder Woman (finally)?

The first act of Valerian is deliciously creative and sets a great precedent, but the last two acts just drop the ball entirely.

I really do wonder what leads some people to be sitting in the same theater as me in the afternoon when I'm watching something like Valerian or King Arthur. Baby Driver and Dunkirk are ten feet that way, go see that.

Toa TAK

Banned
I think the Walter Chaw review for Dunkirk goes against the grain, but is worth a read all the same.

The first act of Valerian is deliciously creative and sets a great precedent, but the last two acts just drop the ball entirely.

I really do wonder what leads some people to be sitting in the same theater as me in the afternoon when I'm watching something like Valerian or King Arthur. Baby Driver and Dunkirk are ten feet that way, go see that.
They probably already saw them. Like me. :(

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Has David Yates got any pet projects in the work?
I mean hes directed $5.5bn for WB, with another ~$3bn on the way with the fantastic films (if he does them all)
I know its franchise fare and Tarzan was eh but that sort of money must get the guy some goodwill surely

Has David Yates got any pet projects in the work?
I mean hes directed $5.5bn for WB, with another ~$3bn on the way with the fantastic films (if he does them all)
I know its franchise fare and Tarzan was eh but that sort of money must get the guy some goodwill surely

Tarzan WAS the pet project

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates

1) Dunkirk - $19.8M
2) Girls Trip - $11.7M
3) Valerian - ??
4) War for the Planet of the Apes - $5.9M - $98M total

DMczaf

NOLAN!!!!

butler.png

DMczaf

Friday Studio Estimates

1) Dunkirk - $19.8M
2) Girls Trip - $11.7M
3) Valerian - ??
4) War for the Planet of the Apes - $5.9M - $98M total

When can I get my Dunkirk kids meal toys and action figures?

Where is my Dunkirk video game!?

Dunkirk Convention in Anaheim next year, Guzim!?

jett

D-Member
Home video and on demand will carry Valerian to massive profits, I ain't even mad.

Yes, just like Speed Racer. /s

There are so many production companies involved I guess they really spread the risk around. I figured Valerian might actually tank an entire company but maybe not.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates

1) Dunkirk - $19.8M
2) Girls Trip - $11.7M
3) Valerian - $6.5M
4) Spider-Man Homecoming - $6.4M (-54%) - $236M total
5) War for the Planet of the Apes - $5.9M (-73%) - $98M total
6) Despicable Me 3 - $3.8M (-40%) - $204M total
7) Baby Driver - $1.7M (-36%) - $80M total
8) The Big Sick - $1.4M (-43%) - $21M total
9) Wonder Woman - $1.3M (-38%) - $386M total
10) Wish Upon - $750k (-65%) - $9M total

FTF

lol like salt in the wound.

LOL Valerian cost 209.184 million dollars, according to BOM.

I just don't know how STX had the money to fund this (I'm sure there's other investors? cause they don't have any big enough hits to be able to front all that: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?studio=stx.htm) or how they got tricked/convinced this was going to be the next Avatar or Guardians of the Galaxy or something and the movie's budget should be that much.

El Topo

I just don't know how STX had the money to fund this (I'm sure there's other investors? cause they don't have any big enough hits to be able to front all that: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?studio=stx.htm) or how they got tricked/convinced this was going to be the next Avatar or Guardians of the Galaxy or something and the movie's budget should be that much.

STX is the distributor. You want to look at Luc Besson's production company, EuropaCorp. That company has produced the Taken series, the Transporter series and Lucy.
It would be really sad if Valerian tanked the company.

berzeli

Banned
Cloverfield got booted to Feb 2nd, 2018.
So that leaves Paramount with:
mother!
Suburbicon
Daddy's Home 2
Downsizing
for the rest of the year... They're going to finish this year behind Lionsgate, aren't they?

I mean for all the shit Sony (mostly deservedly) gets, Paramount has been more dysfunctional for a while. I don't think they've launched a single franchise/series which has had all of its films make over $100 million domestic since G.I. Joe in 2009. Well there is How to Train Your Dragon but they only released the first one, so not sure if that one counts.
By comparison Sony has had; Hotel Transylvania (2 films, 3rd in production), Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2 films, seems dead), Jump Street (2 films, 3rd in development hell), Amazing Spider Man (2 films, rebooted), and Grown Ups (2 films, no 3rd one thank god).
Deadline Projections after Saturday 12:53 am
You left out the best quote from the article
“Dunkirk will somehow make money,” one packager praised about its prospects, “Don’t ask me how, but I am done betting against Chris Nolan.”
They didn't.

It's being financed by Europacorp (Besson's company), and they're doing it via pre-sales, tax rebates, and Taken money.

FTF

STX is the distributor. You want to look at Luc Besson's production company, EuropaCorp. That company has produced the Taken series, the Transporter series and Lucy.
It would be really sad if Valerian tanked the company.

They didn't.

It's being financed by Europacorp (Besson's company), and they're doing it via pre-sales, tax rebates, and Taken money.

ah ok, thanks. Googling and looking in Europacorp not sure how they were able to give this movie a $200m budget either though :/

El Topo

ah ok, thanks. Googling and looking in Europacorp not sure how they were able to give this movie a $200m budget either though :/

Well, berzeli explained it already. Basically their success with Taken/Lucy allowed them to gather a lot more money from investors/banks than usual.

firelogic

Yes, just like Speed Racer. /s

There are so many production companies involved I guess they really spread the risk around. I figured Valerian might actually tank an entire company but maybe not.

EuropaCorp is only on the hook for about $20M.

As per Forbes: In documents I have seen, the estimated final net cost after tax credits will come in at $150 million. Shmuger says, ”The movie is now completed and ready to be delivered to partners around the world. We benefited from French rebates for shooting at our facilities in Paris, and the New Zealand and Canadian rebates for work we did in those places. In sum, our financial exposure after equity financing and foreign sales from our many partners around the world is less than 10% of the budget. In other words, the cost to EuropaCorp to mount the largest European production ever made....the total cost to the company is not $200 million or $150 million, but under $20 million of financial exposure."

FTF

^ ah and thanks for that link firelogic.

Well, berzeli explained it already. Basically their success with Taken/Lucy allowed them to gather a lot more money from investors/banks than usual.

Yeah I see that now...just a terrible decision/mistake all around. Wonder if it has any success overseas.

Top Bottom