• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•14-16•17 - Audiences go Ape, Sick of Spider-man and Wonder Woman (finally)?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I want my $1.49 after seeing Valerian.

Z3Wgc5N.gif

Those are great numbers for Dunkirk and Girls Trip. I really like Dunkirk so this makes me happy and I'll probably end up watching Girls Trip later.

berzeli

Banned
Luc Besson must have a shit load of money because there is no way this is making it all back.
1) Taken.

2) Apparently they've done pretty well with pre-sales with Valerian. Though that was also said of Gods of Egypt and I think that one still lost quite a bit of money.
("fun" fact: Gods of Egypt went straight to DVD in Sweden)

So he's not entirely fucked.

So Apes is really dropping 68% this weekend? Damn...
Been planing on seeing it since I've watch both previous movie but It hasn't had a good word of mouth around my group of friends.

My sisters found it comical. My friends say it's just okay but predictable. Just to wait for a rental.

Cheebo

Banned
Been planing on seeing it since I've watch both previous movie but It hasn't had a good word of mouth around my group of friends.

My sisters found it comical. My friends say it's just okay but predictable. Just to wait for a rental.

Dude. No no no no. None of what they are saying is even remotely true nor even close to how this movie has been received by critics. It is WIDELY considered the best of the 3. Did you not see how overwhelmingly positive the reviews are?

BumRush

It's crazy how much of a draw Nolan's name has become.

In my opinion, he's never made a bad film and is one of the few directors whose films I will actively make sure to see in the cinema. I'm not as crazy as some folks are but I've never felt like I've wasted money on one of his movies.

Guzim

Looks like I was right about Girls Trip, and wrong about Dunkirk. The brand of Nolan, and rave reviews helped overcome what I thought would be less appealing subject matter to Americans.

Damn, Nolan is damn near invincible.
I think Valerian beats out Dunkirk the weekend both premiere here in America with Spider Man still being number 1 in it's 3rd weekend, or War for the Planet of the Apes edging out the top spot in it's 2nd weekend.

tumblr_neczgiBebP1qf3ybvo2_250.gif

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Is Nolan the only director whose name seems to boost a movie's box office notably? Even Spielberg can't seem to do this anymore.

Prompto

Banned
Is Nolan the only director who's a box office draw these days? Even Spielberg just had the BFG be a flop.

Edit: woah our questions are nearly identical

Guzim

Is Nolan the only director whose name seems to boost a movie's box office notably? Even Spielberg can't seem to do this anymore.

Is Nolan the only director who's a box office draw these days? Even Spielberg just had the BFG be a flop.

Edit: woah our questions are nearly identical
Why do you think Inception was such a huge hit? It had a director who can draw crowds and one of the few actors who can draw crowds.

Mrbob

Is there anything above blank check that WB can give Nolan at this point?
I would assume he has full reign to do whatever he wants now unless he does something weird like The Shape Of Water.

Heck he might even be able to make something like that successful.

Harmen

I have never experienced a film where the word of mouth has been so bad compared to the praise by critics and the internet communities. No one I know that have seen it liked it, even fans of the previous two films. Obviously the group of people I know aren't representative for the global market, but still.

Still want to see it though.

Top Bottom