• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Poor Matt Reeves it's a quality movie, let down a bit by plot contrivances, but still very good. And obviously a ton of work went into it.

Ah well, his talent isn't in question.

Marvel working hard on digitally removing Spidey from Infinity War right now.
That's why Tom Holland is in a mocap suit
avengers-infinity-war-set-omaze.jpg

It is part of their contingency plan.

Lima

Poor Matt Reeves it's a quality movie, let down a bit by plot contrivances, but still very good. And obviously a ton of work went into it.

He got a bit thrown under the bus with the marketing and release date tbh. A mid or late August release date would have been better imo.

He's in a good position. He managed to close off his trilogy and secure his next gig on Batman.

Now, what's in question is if Fox wants to make a fourth modern Apes movie. And to be honest, unless they bring in another phenomenal director, I'm happy with them leaving it be for a few years.

Cavill addressed Stachegate:
Dear followers,
it is time to finally set the record straight in this moustache fiasco. Pictured above, is not a set on MI6 but is in fact the latest in a series of weapons being designed by Warner Bros and Paramount Studios to combat the entity known as "Henry Cavill's Moustache". There has been no discussion over whether to shave or not to shave for the JL reshoots, simply a relentless campaign to put an end to the seemingly inexorable conquest of this despotic 'stache. It is not a question of IF I should shave - it is a question of how can we possibly be victorious against such a beast without bringing our own doom raining down upon us.

Cavill: What's my direction?

Snyder: You are Superman. You are struggling with godhood, and have the weight of the entire world on your shoulders. You have never had a happy day in your life.

More like

Snyder: Just sort of...stick your chest out. That's great, awesome.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
A 4D screen has opened where I live, and apparently Dunkirk is one of the 3 movies being shown in it.
I was entertaining the idea of watching it like that, despite the ticket price being 3 times over a regular one. Should I?
(mind that there are no IMAX of any kind here :( )

Dark Tower looks pretty bad. I'd be shocked if it was over 55%ish on RT.

That "bullets in your world?" "You're gonna looooove Earth" exchange in every single trailer. Its awful.

But hey, two talented leads. Maybe they'll make something of it.

A 4D screen has opened where I live, and apparently Dunkirk is one of the 3 movies being shown in it.
I was entertaining the idea of watching it like that, despite the ticket price being 3 times over a regular one. Should I?
(mind that there are no IMAX of any kind here :( )
Whats 4D?

Lima

Your chair moves and they throw shit at your face like water and smoke. It's a fucking nightmare.

They should take it next level and have someone fire a real gun next to your ears synced with the movie. Just to make sure you actually get permanent ear damage for real. Oh and have someone throw sand in your face.

DJChuy

Poor Spider-Man and Apes. I expected better, but there is like a must see movie every week. Still need to watch Apes.

I saw The Big Sick w/ my gf yesterday, and we both enjoyed it. I thought it was going to be a bore.

Besson still has some pull in France apparently. Valerian's opening is much better than I expected, only slightly below the Fifth Element so far. The reviews are okay, most seem to be relatively positive, which is extremely rare for Besson around here.

Second best opening of the year in Paris, between Despicable Me 3 and La La Land. Allociné is projecting 3 million tickets sold when all is said and done, which is more than most superhero movies usually do. Still not gonna be nearly enough for this film to be profitable though. Time for Le Dernier Combat 2.

People really start to believe the perception whether true or not. Spidey is gnna end up with 300 mil domestic and over 700 mil worldwide yet it's negative.

That stupid article has penetrated pretty deeply for who the fuck knows what reason.

A producer my girlfriend works with was spouting it off as part of some bizarre rant-ish thing regarding all the big studios the other day.
The guy's a bit... out there.

Hold up, what's with the poor Spider-man talk?

It will end up $100 million over the last movie at the pace it's going and apparently costing less than the last two films.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills if that is poor.

jett

D-Member
Code:
			First 5 Days	Next 23 Days
Transformers 5		$68.5M		$57.2M
Baby Driver		$29.6M		$56.8M

Tomorrow, Baby Driver passes Transformers for total gross after that initial 5-day weekend, despite opening at 43% of TF5's 5-day total.

That's one really strange statistic you decided to pick. I bet a few people are gonna think Baby Driver outgrossed TF5.

It will end up $100 million over the last movie at the pace it's going and apparently costing less than the last two films.

This stupid Forbes contributor article.

Spread like wildfire. Everyone's convinced its performance is disastrous.

Well, that and the kind of people that expected it to do well over a billion.

Its final total will be below a lot of expectations, sure, but it's the cheapest ever Spidey film and will out-gross the last two after three straight films of declining grosses, so it's still in a great place. Especially given that every MCU sequel has seen growth over the prior film (Ultron aside, although there's an asterisk on that).

People thought Spider-Man was way bigger than Wonder Woman and cognitive dissonance is leading to hyperbole.

BumRush

Poor Spider-Man and Apes. I expected better, but there is like a must see movie every week. Still need to watch Apes.

I saw The Big Sick w/ my gf yesterday, and we both enjoyed it. I thought it was going to be a bore.

So when a film makes roughly $800M, beats the previous two entries in the franchise and is critically acclaimed, we call it "poor"? Not sure I follow.

I mean, he is. That doesn't mean anyone should have expected $400m dom or legs anywhere near WW's from this film though.
He was*, he isn't anymore. Times change. Wonder Woman and characters like Black Panther, etc. That were unknown or marginalized before are the new blood now.

We are in a media world where Wonder Woman is without a doubt a bigger ticket and name than Superman. Times change.

Top Bottom