• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Toa TAK

Banned
Detroit is a harrowing, emotionally draining experience. Absolutely an essential film to see, even if it struggles slightly with all of its ambitions.

I dunno.

You didn't even like Atomic Blonde.

Are you even a ⋆Top Critic on Rottentomatos? Can I even trust this impression?

(I refuse to call it Rottentomatoes, there aren't any toes, damn it).

I heard a radio ad where there was no dialogue from the movie and it was just Charlize Theron and the crew throwing around compliments about how awesome all the stunts are and how Charlize had to keep buying the stuntmen alcohol as an apology for continually kicking their asses.

Box-Office GAF is turning into one of those degradation memes.

ffHC6kM.jpg

That was cute until Feige broke his chair on Johns' head while yelling about winning in YouTube trailer views or something.

I don't condone Feige's actions but it was really inappropriate of Johns to bring up the sore subject of Thor's running time while polishing the Suicide Squad Oscar he stole from the make-up crew.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The theater owner at the Hollywood preceded the 70mm screening of Dunkirk with acknowledgement that 70mm is cool, and the screenings are awesome, and the presentation is unlike any other in the city.

He then followed that up by letting people know if you take out your phone and take a picture of the fucking screen you're a narcissistic jackass and you're going to get kicked out, and also, you're ruining the experience for yourself and others. So don't.

there was a sustained bit of applause.

Picture? I've been seeing people Snap chat the film, to just say they are seeing the fucking movie.

black070

The Big Sick is probably my movie of the year and thats after seeing Dunkirk, Baby Driver, War for the Planet of the Apes and Logan.

Cosmozone

I really want to see Valerian and Dunkirk. First time I wanted to see a film in the theater since Fury Road. Unfortunately I'm super-busy with other stuff right now. Strange that Valerian doesn't have the name of the female lead in its title? The original comic books had it.

overcast

It's very exciting to see certain movies do very well. The Big Sick, Dunkirk, and Baby Driver look to be big hits in respective tiers. I haven't seen those first two tbh, but I like the creators.

Especially happy for Edgar Wright potentially hitting 100 million in just the US. Impressive legs.

I really want to see Valerian and Dunkirk. First time I wanted to see a film in the theater since Fury Road. Unfortunately I'm super-busy with other stuff right now. Strange that Valerian doesn't have the name of the female lead in its title? The original comic books had it.

It was just called Valerian originally. It was renamed Valerian and Laureline only a few years ago and I assume that Besson was a fan of the comic back in the 60s and 70s. But I agree that it's a shame, she's the best character in the series.

The Big Sick is probably my movie of the year and thats after seeing Dunkirk, Baby Driver, War for the Planet of the Apes and Logan.

its in my top 3 for sure but I got Baby Driver and Dunkirk over it.

It was great to see a comedy that divulged some of the thornier problems you can run into being a Pakistani Muslim and dating outside of the culture. Also the casting for the parents were so good. Ray Romano and Holly Hunter are amazing, bless up to Kumail and his wife for that script too. I hope he has something else cooked up soon.

War for the planet of the apes performance still makes me sad

yeah. I'm happy how well Baby Driver and Dunkirk are doing but I was hoping Apes would be a success too. Its one of the better blockbusters since...the last Apes movie.

Cosmozone

It was just called Valerian originally. It was renamed Valerian and Laureline only a few years ago and I assume that Besson was a fan of the comic back in the 60s and 70s. But I agree that it's a shame, she's the best character in the series.
Ah, thanks for the info. Didn't know that and also that it's even older as I suspected. Older than myself, lol.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I heard a radio ad where there was no dialogue from the movie and it was just Charlize Theron and the crew throwing around compliments about how awesome all the stunts are and how Charlize had to keep buying the stuntmen alcohol as an apology for continually kicking their asses.
That's... an interesting angle to market it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dunkirk down 30% on Wednesday, $5.16m.
Wonder Woman down 25% to $650k. Down 28% from last week.

$8.7m to go for WW.

firelogic

Dunkirk down 30% on Wednesday, $5.16m.
Wonder Woman down 25% to $650k. Down 28% from last week.

$8.7m to go for WW.

To add to that,
The Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. release earned another $650,000 on Wednesday to bring its domestic total to $391.258 million in 55 days of release. So, it's now doing better weekday numbers than Spider-Man at the same point in its run and has eclipsed that film's running total ($391.135m in 55 days). But the other big news is that the Patty Jenkins-directed offering has now earned a weekend-to-final multiplier of 3.789x, meaning it is among the very leggiest movies ever to snag a $100m+ opening weekend.

of the 48 movies that have opened over $100 million (counting Iron Man and its Thursday previews), and this is the reason for today's update, it is the leggiest release ever save for Shrek 2. And Shrek 2 opened on a Wednesday, where it earned $21 million of its $129m Wed-Sun opening in May of 2004 before legging it to $441m domestic (a figure that still blows my mind).

Per Forbes

People seem more or less generally pleased by the IMAX news in that IMAX thread.

The 3D tax will live on in smaller ways, of course, but it really does seem like that era is on the tail end of its brief, decade-long life.

(of course someone was about that HFR too, but that was DOA with Hobbit, at least)

Lima

People seem more or less generally pleased by the IMAX news in that IMAX thread.

The 3D tax will live on in smaller ways, of course, but it really does seem like that era is on the tail end of its brief, decade-long life.

(of course someone was about that HFR too, but that was DOA with Hobbit, at least)

Good. 3D with glasses sucks. I don't even wear glasses normally and it still sucks to wear them for 2-3 hours. For people with glasses it's a nightmare.

Try again in 10-20 years when you can make glassless 3D a reality.

I'm sure Cameron will try HFR one more time. And maybe he will do it right because the guy for sure knows his tech. Maybe that will sway some people.

Good. 3D with glasses sucks. I don't even wear glasses normally and it still sucks to wear them for 2-3 hours. For people with glasses it's a nightmare.

Try again in 10-20 years when you can make glassless 3D a reality.

I'm sure Cameron will try HFR one more time. And maybe he will do it right because the guy for sure knows his tech. Maybe that will sway some people.
How many years back was it that Cameron said he wanted to get glassless 3D working for one of his movies? Is there any early tech for it when it comes to movies?

Even if glasses-free 3D manages to get installed in theaters in time for Avatar 2, will the general decline in the format between then and now be a slope that can still be climbed?

The farther away we get from the format's very-brief heyday, the more it begins to seriously look like the last dregs of a fad that haven't been scraped off the sides of the boat yet.

If we hit 2022 or whatever, maybe "Glasses free 3D" will be enough of a novelty again that the boost will be significant, but I'm beginning to wonder if 3D as a selling point has simply been damaged enough that it's just always going to be a niche thing for a limited group of enthusiasts.

I don't think HFR is ever going to catch on.

I still have a trailer for Green Lantern on my 3DS that was released some time back that I like to look at on occasion. If Cameron thinks he can pull it off without darkness and discomfort then I wouldn't mind giving it shot.

HFR will never, ever, not be weird. Billy Lynn looked so realistic that it wrapped back around to looking like a high school play.

kswiston

Over $5M for Dunkirk is a good sign. This weekend should be over $25M. It probably needs to be closer to $30M for a real shot at $200M though.

I think a $5 million Wednesday is good.

Really interested to see that weekend number. $25.5 million would be the 50% drop number. Which sounds pretty close to what it will be.

$30 million would be awesome though:
GjtqnlB.png

Top Bottom